PDA

View Full Version : The official "What Color is My Hair?" thread.

holothuroidea
July 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
So this thread is just for fun. I've been hanging out in the blonette and auburn threads wondering where exactly my hair belongs, and what color to call it. I've seen quite a few other members with the same uncertainty.

I thought I'd start a thread for people who want input from other members on what their hair color is.

You all can start with me of course, WTH color is it anyway? :D

My signature picture is pretty true to color, but it looks different in different lighting. There are a couple pictures in different lighting in my album. If we have a sunny day I'll take a picture but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my hair in natural light around. Also if you find it relevant, my hair lightens in the sun and was platinum blonde when I was a little one.

swearnsue
July 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Warm chestnut with caramel highlights?

Firefly
July 9th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Well it's a very pretty color, whatever you call it. :) Yes it definitely looks like the type of hair that appears a different color depending on the lighting... I have chameleon hair like that, too. Mine I've called chestnut, auburn, or plain ol' brown. Not sure if any of those really fit. I'd say yours is like caramel, sable, or bronze. As I said, very nice indeed!

Diamond.Eyes
July 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
It looks like a warm light brown to me. :)

LaFlor
July 9th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I feel like this a lot too! My hair looks so different in different lighting.

juliaxena
July 9th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have been wondering about this for 2 years and just can't seem to believe in blonette theory for myself.

ETA: Yours is a goregeous blonette IMHO holo!

holothuroidea
July 9th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Firefly, I looked at your album and your hair ranges from medium brown to dark blonde. I honestly don't know what to call it but it is very pretty. :D

LaFlor, I always thought of your hair as dark golden blonde from your signature picture.

And thanks everyone! Is it possible to have warm tones and cool tones in your hair? Because I've been told by some that it is warm or reddish, and by others that it is an "ash" color which I always thought of as cool.

auroraclio
July 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I'd call it light brown? I'm so imaginative I know ha ha

Alva
July 9th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Nice thread! I asked the same question in the auburn thread, but didn't get an opinion from anyone yet there :) It just changes so often, from darkbrown, to reddish warm medium brown, that I have no clue what color it is. My pics are in my profile, because I am on holiday atm and don't have the pictures stored here in the pc to upload. The picture in my signature isn't close to the real color since it is taken in artificial bathroom light, unlike the one in my profile. Any insight is appreciated :D

Firefly
July 9th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Firefly, I looked at your album and your hair ranges from medium brown to dark blonde. I honestly don't know what to call it but it is very pretty. :D

Thanks! In real life it is definitely a medium coppery brown. It's weird how blonde it can look in photos!

Nice thread! I asked the same question in the auburn thread, but didn't get an opinion from anyone yet there :) It just changes so often, from darkbrown, to reddish warm medium brown, that I have no clue what color it is. My pics are in my profile, because I am on holiday atm and don't have the pictures stored here in the pc to upload. The picture in my signature isn't close to the real color since it is taken in artificial bathroom light, unlike the one in my profile. Any insight is appreciated :D

Alva, your color is so much like mine!! But I've been thinking about this thread and decided to call mine "vintage penny". :D

holothuroidea
July 9th, 2012, 12:41 PM

From your profile pictures I think your hair varies from light to dark brown, and it looks like it has red undertones. I'd call that auburn.

jojo
July 9th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I was looking at your hair the other day and actually thought you had dyed it a red, then I remembered you are a full natural. On your last siggi I'd put you as a dark blonde, still a darkish blonde but with red hues. Do you use cone less conditioner and /or ACV? I find coneless comditioner and AVG cause red hues in my hair, that's why I use white vinegar or citric acid more recently as rinses! If you don't use either of this, then your a dark golden/ honey blonde!

My hair can go from very blonde, to brown to red in photos. Dark blondes are notorious for looking different in different lighting, your hair btw is growing very well, congratulations on reaching shoulder, it does get better from now on!

lapushka
July 9th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I'd say it's blonette. For sure!

Amygirl8
July 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I definitely have the same issue XD
My friend and I once decided to do a survey with random people afterschool.

I'd say you're brownish auburn. It's a gorgeous colour.

ETA: Found a good picture of my hair colour, this was taken outside by a decent camera (my siggy pic makes my hair look dark brown XD)

http://i46.tinypic.com/166b2vt.jpg

What's my colour?

jojo
July 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I'd say it's blonette. For sure!

Yes I think so too, her skin tone also says blondette, I'd bet she goes lighter in the sun which again is a sure sign.

GlennaGirl
July 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Bronze. I definitely don't think it's ashy.

GlennaGirl
July 9th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Oh, and I'll play too. What's my (latest) hair color? ( <- in avatar)

holothuroidea
July 9th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Lol, no consensus yet! ^_^ I've been described as "ashy" by hair stylists, so it's surprising to me to hear all these warm descriptions. I need to get a picture in natural light, maybe?

So would light brown/dark blonde with red/warm undertones would be considered a blonette or a light auburn? This is getting confusing. :dizzy:

I might get attached to the "bronze" descriptor, it sounds so pretty. :)

And thank you everyone for the lovely compliments! :o :o :D :D

I definitely have the same issue XD
My friend and I once decided to do a survey with random people afterschool.

I'd say you're brownish auburn. It's a gorgeous colour.

ETA: Found a good picture of my hair colour, this was taken outside by a decent camera (my siggy pic makes my hair look dark brown XD)

http://i46.tinypic.com/166b2vt.jpg

What's my colour?

I'd say medium brown with red undertones from that picture.

Oh, and I'll play too. What's my (latest) hair color? ( <- in avatar)

Medium brown with gold undertones from your avatar.

teela1978
July 9th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I'd call your hair dark blonde, its on the lighter side of the brown/blonde divide to my eye :) As to tone... It looks ashy to me :shrug: all hair has a bit of reddish in it (especially in the sun), but warm tones have that quality in all light conditions to my eye. Hard to say from a picture though.

Quixii
July 10th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I always get people calling my hair blondish or brownish. I consider myself blonde, with a kind of dark golden-ness. But I'm open to hearing others' opinions. :D

GlennaGirl
July 10th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Yeah, I always get people calling my hair blondish or brownish. I consider myself blonde, with a kind of dark golden-ness. But I'm open to hearing others' opinions. :D

I definitely think you're blondish. :rolling: I would say: dark golden blonde.

GlennaGirl
July 10th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Medium brown with gold undertones from your avatar.

Thanks for your help. I was definitely thinking brown in some way, shape or form. :D

Alva
July 10th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Alva, your color is so much like mine!! But I've been thinking about this thread and decided to call mine "vintage penny". :D

Ah yes I checked your pics, it does look alike a lot! Vintage penny it is :D

From your profile pictures I think your hair varies from light to dark brown, and it looks like it has red undertones. I'd call that auburn.

I will go with auburn then, it certainly has some red at times, thanks for your input!

Springpaw
July 10th, 2012, 03:46 AM
I'd also like to know what my true haircolor is! But I hennaed about a month ago, so I only have like 1/2'' of my true color :P
So it'll have to wait :)

Rocky
July 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Ooo I would be interested to hear people's ideas of my hair. It seems to like to get highlights in the summer and change shades when in the light, which makes people ask me if I'm dying it. I think its most commonly called a mousy brown but I'd love to hear your opinions! :)

holothuroidea
July 10th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Ooo I would be interested to hear people's ideas of my hair. It seems to like to get highlights in the summer and change shades when in the light, which makes people ask me if I'm dying it. I think its most commonly called a mousy brown but I'd love to hear your opinions! :)

You look like a blonette in your avatar picture.

holothuroidea
July 21st, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thread resurrection!!

I have pictures of my hair in the sun...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/holothuroidea/SAM_1280.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/holothuroidea/SAM_1283.jpg

I think I am officially calling it light auburn. What do you guys think?

ETA: I asked my DH and he said, "It's brown."

Springlets
July 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM
It does look quite auburn-ish in the sunlight pictures. You could also compare your hair to the hair color swatches in stores in the hair color aisle. Also, you said you were light blonde as a child- when did it start to darken? And what are your parents hair colors and who do you take after more?

julierockhead
July 21st, 2012, 08:13 PM
I had this same conundrum before henna :)

elbow chic
July 21st, 2012, 08:16 PM
Light auburns looks about right to me. Reminds me of my son's hair in the sun. Maybe as you gain length the reddishness will come out more strongly. Pretty color!

holothuroidea
July 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM
It does look quite auburn-ish in the sunlight pictures. You could also compare your hair to the hair color swatches in stores in the hair color aisle. Also, you said you were light blonde as a child- when did it start to darken? And what are your parents hair colors and who do you take after more?

My hair isn't really long enough to do that, I have to flip my hair over the front of my face to look at it. I would look like a complete nutso-bananas lady if I did that holding up boxes of hair color to my head in the middle of target!! :D

My hair was a very light almost platinum blonde until I was about 7 and it started getting darker. I would call it blonette at that age and I don't remember any of these red undertones I'm seeing now. I started dying my hair at 14 and haven't worn my natural hair color again until now. This is like a whole new color.

My mom has auburn hair, but darker than mine but not super dark. If mine is light than hers is medium. She also had platinum blonde hair as a child and strawberry blonde as a teenager. She laments that it still keeps getting darker and darker every year. My dad had golden-toned light brown hair from the pictures I've seen.

I had this same conundrum before henna :)

:laugh: Don't tempt me!!!

Light auburns looks about right to me. Reminds me of my son's hair in the sun. Maybe as you gain length the reddishness will come out more strongly. Pretty color!

Thank you!! ^_^ The parts of my hair that have sun exposure look redder than the under part and the roots, it has this ombre thing going on.

Springlets
July 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM
It sounds like your hair is following the pattern of your mother's then. I looked up some colors on the Loreal website and I think the sunlight pictures look closest to level 7R (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo6_23//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo6_23//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}). But in your signature pic it looks closest to level 6RB (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo6_17//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo6_17//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}), which looks akin to the hair color Pam Beesley sports on the show The Office. :)

holothuroidea
July 21st, 2012, 10:17 PM
It sounds like your hair is following the pattern of your mother's then. I looked up some colors on the Loreal website and I think the sunlight pictures look closest to level 7R (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo6_23//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo6_23//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}). But in your signature pic it looks closest to level 6RB (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo6_17//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo6_17//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}), which looks akin to the hair color Pam Beesley sports on the show The Office. :)

Thank you for the links and info!

I'm so happy, I feel like I finally figured out what my natural hair color is! :happydance: (Maybe a kind of weird thing to be super happy about but it's been a mystery for a very long time.)

Although, if I do follow my mom's pattern it'll keep changing. Unfortunately I was looking forward to being a renegray, but I'll have to wait until I'm in my late 50's at least. :laugh: (My mom at 52 has only a few grays).

MrsGuther
July 27th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Warm chestnut with caramel highlights?
I agree! I definitely think its a beautiful chestnut color with some caramel highlights!:D

MrsGuther
July 27th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Btw I love the dancing banana in your siggy pic!! :) cute!

Dang3rousB3auty
July 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I would like to know what my natural color is too haha...I have dyed it red and dark brown so many times I don't even know my natural color. Trying to let it grow out so I can see :P. I really think most hair changes how it looks depending on what light it is in. I knew a girl who's hair looked basically black most of the time but you could see red in it in the sun light.