PDA

View Full Version : How can I keep my hair "like that"...?

daredevil14
July 9th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Hello all,

I am a guy with an almost shoulder-length of hair, my hair's type is somewhere between frizzy, wavy and curly! (I've chemically straightened it in the past when I first started to grow it out, but it's been almost a year without any chemicals and I am planning to continue growing it naturally now since it's way more manageable than in the beginning!)

Now I've been following a certain routine for a quite long period, I usually shampoo it, then condition it and finally comb it wet. Results were okay I guess with frizzy ends... Now yesterday, I went to the beach and swam for 2 hours, when I came back home, I decided not to shampoo or even wet it again and just leave it to air dry... the results were AMAZING, all my ends are now perfectly curly (which what I really want) and nothing is frizzy, plus my hair is taking its full length now!

My question: how can I keep it like that? I am planning to take a shower tonight, should I simply stop shampooing it or stop conditioning it or even stop combing it after the shower (which what I think may be the solution!)?

Any tips are highly appreciated,
Raed

tohavelongcurls
July 9th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Have you tried going conditioner only? That might work for you.

bumblebums
July 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM
There are sea salt water sprays out there (I think Garnier Fructis used to make one) that would mimic sea water's effect on hair... But I agree with tohavelongcurls that perhaps you might need more moisture in your hair than you are currently giving it. So CO (conditioner only washing), and perhaps a drop of coconut oil on just the ends.

HumanBean
July 9th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I second condition only, or shampoo on the scalp only (no shampoo on the length). Your ends sound dry, so you want to minimize product on the ends that has a drying effect. A hair balm on your ends, or light oiling might help too. My son has shoulder length hair now with big curls at the ends, and this is wh we are dong. He's only 8 though, and just had his hair trimmed, so there isn't a lot of dryness going on.

daredevil14
July 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Yes, I used to COwash only in the past... I remember it giving me the same results, however a bit better than a regular shampoo/condition combination...

So tonight I am only going to COwash... but should I also comb my hair after the shower when it's wet? Because I think that combing it is what is actually breaking the curls and damaging them...

tohavelongcurls
July 9th, 2012, 09:31 AM
If you have curls and waves, you shouldn't comb your hair when it's dry, because that will break the curl pattern and make it frizz. Try combing it in the shower when your hair is full of conditioner.

Also, when you did CO before, did you use conditioners with silicones? Here's a link to an article about the curly girl method, which might work for you: http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

It's a method that works for a lot of people with curls and waves, and increase the curl while decreasing frizz. It might be worth a try.

daredevil14
July 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I have never combed my hair when it's dry, I always comb it after the shower when it's still soaking wet!

Yes I've read about the CG method before but right now, I think that "combing" itself is what is breaking my curls (combing it wet of course).

So tonight I am only going to COwash and leave it to air dry, with no combing at all! Just like I did yesterday after swimming but with a little difference now: with conditioner involved!

Do you think that it's a good idea?

tohavelongcurls
July 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM
It's certainly worth a try. I hope it works for you!

Alvrodul
July 9th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Many curlies do it like that, leave some conditioner in their hair as it dries. And what combing they do, is done with a wide-toothed seamless comb with hair that is wet and full of conditioner.

spidermom
July 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Yes - that seems to be the secret for beachy waves; don't comb it and break up the curl pattern. I used to comb conditioner through in the shower, then rinse and not touch it or mess it around too much while it's drying.

You might find that you need to finger some product through it to prevent frizz, though. I'd often stroke styling gel or aloe vera gel or curl creme through my hair, which would enhance the natural waves and curls. I never tried the salt water spray because my hair tends to get dry on ends, and since I like it super-long, that's not a good idea for me.

afu
July 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Personally (as a curly) I don't see how combing wet is going to ruin your curl pattern. When you say wet, do you mean soaking wet or damp?

What I do is I CO, apply some normal conditioner to the lengths as a leave in, wrap in a towel for about 5-10mins to remove excess water, add a little sweet almond or coconut oil and brush through when damp with a tangle teezer. I then just scrunch it back up and leave to dry naturally

MissAlida
July 9th, 2012, 10:05 AM
You can shampoo and condition. But if you want curls, then don't comb. When wet, gently twist it into a towel and let it absorb some water, then let it air dry. If you have a parting, then you can comb around it in a one inch width, just to keep it looking neat. but not the curls, only the roots. And you can always use a spraying bottle with water (some people add sea salt, I never tried) to freshen up your curls. Good luck.;)

plurabelle
July 9th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Try plopping with some cottony material, like a long-sleeved shirt. It's always worked for me.

Plopping is getting out of the shower, spreading the material on a flat surface, turning your head upside down and wrapping the material around your head - very much unlike a towel. This basically scrunches your hair and keeps it like that when it's drying. Don't touch it once it's dry - definitely don't comb/brush it. If it's looking a little dry, you can scrunch a little oil into the ends.

guns1969
July 9th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I agree with plurabelle. My sis has the same kind of hair and she always washes, conditions and while its soaking wet, she combs it with a wide tooth comb and puts some leave-in conditioner or a few drops of oil on the ends. She normally goes to bed with wet or damp hair and ALWAYS. wakes up with amazing, almost cork screw curls. Oh boy, how I've always envied her!! All the best with your hair!

Amber_Maiden
July 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Maybe it was the water at the beach? Was it salty? Or was it rain water? Try creating the same water at home- either by mixing salt in water or collecting rain water.

lunalocks
July 9th, 2012, 12:00 PM
John Masters makes a salt spray and I used to use it. It made my hair feel much thicker. I do believe it has made the top layer of my hair brittle so now I use it only occasionally on my bangs.

if you do use a salt spray, be sure your hair is damp to begin with.

SoulOfTheSea
July 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I also recommend CO, and even doing an oiling when your hair is damp after you get out of the shower. I go swimming a lot in the summer, and this is what I do (I use coconut oil to damp oil, and I just scrunch it in, not rub or smooth it in). I also don't even recommend combing it, even in the shower when it's wet! I would do a light finger combing while the conditioner is still in, but for the most part stay away from the combs. I get really nice beachy waves this way, that's how I got my hair in my profile picture!

RitaCeleste
July 9th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Combing wet can lead to more frizz than curls. Comb it with the conditioner in. Gently rinse it and leave it alone until it is dry. Let it have big clumpy curls, separating your hair so it'll dry fast will contribute to frizz. When its dry, comb it or use a brush with hardly any bristles and add a little Fruit of the Earth 100% (Its in the lotion section over by the pharmacy in Walmart) Aloe Gel to anything that threatens to frizz. Just a little on the top, you don't have to use loads of it. Just put some in your hand, rub your hands to together and brush them over your hair. ;) Yeah, I'm frizzy but you see there is this brush I really love that doesn't love me back.....:D

daredevil14
July 9th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Yes it was a salty water... thank you all for your replies :)

Here's an update: I took a shower without shampooing, conditioning or combing in a hope that it will stay the same but I was wrong I guess, now it's back to being curly but with frizzy ends and the textures aren't "perfectly shaped" anymore.

So I guess it's the sea water... how can I recreate the same effect? Should I start considering the CG method and search today for a non-silicone-based conditioner?

torrilin
July 10th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Since salt spray is drying, why not pick up a microfiber towel and see if scrunching your hair with that helps? Or cut up an old holey t shirt to get a smooth "towel" for your hair. Jessicurl has several youtube videos showing how to use their products, and I find the technique aspects can be really helpful. You don't have to use their products for the techniques to work!

You can also try making a homemade salt spray or salt rinse, by just mixing table salt with water. Sea water is pretty salty, but it may be that a homemade version doesn't need anywhere near as much salt for good effects.

I'd track down stuff for conditioner washing too, but it seems to me that going to condition-wash-condition (CWC for short) with products you already have might help. Sure, they may not be perfect products, but nothing says your hair has to be perfect all the time. Lord knows mine isn't! It can take a good bit of poking to find the "perfect" products for your hair, and hair products tend to get reformulated often.