PDA

View Full Version : I need a break from my hair!

PurpleAshes
July 9th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I have reached hip lenght when wet/stretched, and armpit lenght when dry. I love the fact that my hair is finally sort of long, but what I really can´t stand nowadays is the water dripping down my neck and back every time I wash my hair :eek: And given the fact that my hair is longer, the wetness stays there forever!

I have tried a few different techniques, such as:

-Plopping (wrapping it in a tshirt or towel) before applying product to suck out most of the water

This leaves me with frizzy hair.

-Braiding while wet

A few issues with this... Since my hair is curly, my braids shrink A LOT, plus my hair is not that thick and curls sort of prevent me from having a nice, sleek braid. So I end up with a fine, short frizzy braid that does nothing good for the way I look.

-Bunning while wet

Again, I end up with a really tiny bun because of my medium thickness. Plus my face is round, so it´s not flattering on me.

So basically, I can´t win. :mad: I´m not really looking for advice but it is, of course, welcome. I just wanted to rant :poot:

Bene
July 9th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I really canīt stand nowadays is the water dripping down my neck and back every time I wash

I'm confused about this. Are you bothered by your hair getting wet while you bathe or are you bothered by your hair dripping down your neck after you've washed it?

If it's the first, put it up and throw on a shower cap and you're good to go. If it's the latter, does that mean you're washing it and letting it drip dry? Is putting it up in a towel until it's just damp something you haven't tried or something you just don't do because it's not part of your basic routine? Because, you might want to give that a shot. Let the towel soak up the excess, throw in a dollop of oil or whatever leave-in you like, then style as normal and there's no dripping involved.

PurpleAshes
July 9th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Hi there Bene! What bothers me is my hair dripping down after I wash it, which is every 2-3 days.
I´m sorry I wasn´t clear enough, what you just suggested is what I call "plopping" in the OP, seems like it´s a terminology used more frequently among curlies.

When I do this, my hair ends up very frizzy. It likes to be left alone and totally unmanipulated while drying :(

Thanks for your reply :)

afu
July 9th, 2012, 06:57 AM
would you consider sebum only/no water technique?

Bene
July 9th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Hi there Bene! What bothers me is my hair dripping down after I wash.
I´m sorry I wasn´t clear enough, what you just suggested is what I call "plopping" in the OP, seems like it´s a terminology used more frequently among curlies.

When I do this, my hair ends up very frizzy. It likes to be left alone and totally unmanipulated while drying :(

You're saying, you wash your hair, get out with it soaking wet and leave it dripping the ENTIRE time until it's fully dry? :confused:

How about draping a towel over your back and shoulders to catch the dripping.

Do you consider blotting your hair to soak up the excess water is manipulating your hair? When do you detangle? If you do it while drying or when fully dry, that's when the frizz happens, so I'm presuming that with your defined curls, you're detangling while wet.

I think plopping is different. From what I understand, it's putting hair up with the intent to create curls for when the hair is finally let down, it's more a styling thing that it is a drying technique. Personally, I don't do it since I don't have a taste for the kind of curls that plopping makes.

Perhaps another curly can come in and offer some advice because I'm confused. I am actually a curly, but since damp bunning tends to mask it in pics, I can see how you'd be reluctant to consider what I say as useful in any way. Maybe someone with obvious curls can give you hints that make more sense.

GRU has some really nice curly hair, she'd be a good one to ask about this.

Madora
July 9th, 2012, 07:20 AM
It sounds to me that you're not getting enough water out of your hair.

To remove excess water:

1) bend at the waist so that you have full access to your hair
2) place an absorbent towel around your head, then, using the
palms of your hand, slowly press your palms together down
the length of the towel. Repeat several times. Remove towel,
hold hair, then stand erect.
3) If you're worried about catching any drips that might happen,
put a fresh towel around your shoulders to absorb any drips.

PurpleAshes
July 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
You're saying, you wash your hair, get out with it soaking wet and leave it dripping the ENTIRE time until it's fully dry? :confused:

How about draping a towel over your back and shoulders to catch the dripping.

Do you consider blotting your hair to soak up the excess water is manipulating your hair? When do you detangle? If you do it while drying or when fully dry, that's when the frizz happens, so I'm presuming that with your defined curls, you're detangling while wet.

I think plopping is different. From what I understand, it's putting hair up with the intent to create curls for when the hair is finally let down, it's more a styling thing that it is a drying technique. Personally, I don't do it since I don't have a taste for the kind of curls that plopping makes.

Perhaps another curly can come in and offer some advice because I'm confused. I am actually a curly, but since damp bunning tends to mask it in pics, I can see how you'd be reluctant to consider what I say as useful in any way. Maybe someone with obvious curls can give you hints that make more sense.

GRU has some really nice curly hair, she'd be a good one to ask about this.

I really didnīt intend to make it sound like I donīt consider your advice useful :( Sometimes I sound rude because english is not my first language, but it wasnīt my intention.

brave
July 9th, 2012, 07:27 AM
First off, wow! Your curls are wonderful. In one of your pics you mention trying the tightlycurly method -- is that what you still use?

How does your hair react to being washed much less? Once a week instead of every three days, for example?

PurpleAshes
July 9th, 2012, 07:27 AM
My usual routine is the following:

-Wash scalp, detangle with conditioner.
-Wash out conditioner, put it up in a bun until I finish bathing.
- Let hair down, squeeze excess of water by twisting hair with my hands.
- Apply product. Let it dry.

I have tried to put a towel under my hair, covering neck back and shoulders, but it takes forever to dry, so I do have to eventually take off the towel to go to work, or anywhere else. By that time my hair is still damp. Plus, water do tends to drip a bit under the towel.

PurpleAshes
July 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM
would you consider sebum only/no water technique?

I´ve heard it doesn´t have such great results with curly hair, so right now I´m too much of a chicken to try it :o

I squeeze water out with my hands before applying product, but usually do not blot with a towel. Either way, I´ve become so annoyed with the feeling of water againts my neck that even dampness bothers me. My neck starts to itch a lot.

Plopping is also done when wet, so I've basically done it to absorb water rather than to make my curls look different.

First off, wow! Your curls are wonderful. In one of your pics you mention trying the tightlycurly method -- is that what you still use?

How does your hair react to being washed much less? Once a week instead of every three days, for example?

I use the tightly curly method very rarely nowadays, precisely because of the problem of being annoyed with a wet neck.

The last few days I´ve been washing a lot less, but then my hair becomes frizzy, which leaves me with the only option of bunning (which doesn´t look great on me, as described in OP).

I do two kinds of buns, one that is tight and looks tiny, and one that is loose and shows the curls, therefore looks fuller. The problem with this one is that I have to use a lot of pins to hide the frizzies, OR refresh the curls with a water spritzer, which takes us back to damp neck and shoulders :o

PolythenePam
July 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Would you consider diffusing your hair on a warm/cool setting? I also tend to leave the house with damp hair trying to let the curls dry on their own--rolled down car windows as I drive to where I'm going helps a bit.

PurpleAshes
July 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I´ve considered it but I don´t have a blow dryer.

I wish I could make up some kind waterproof lotion for my neck :D

I´m just a having a "completely sick of it" phase :(

HappyHair87
July 9th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hi there Bene! What bothers me is my hair dripping down after I wash it, which is every 2-3 days.
Iīm sorry I wasnīt clear enough, what you just suggested is what I call "plopping" in the OP, seems like itīs a terminology used more frequently among curlies.

My hair does the same thing. But you know what i do...I put my products in first...and then i take a t-shirt and put it on my head like a headband...and let the shirt part drape pack over my hair with the collar around my head (Imagine a bride veil or something) Then i just finished getting dressed or whatever...after i'm done i carefully slide the shirt off my head and gently shake my head to separate the curls.

I can't plop...it just calls for Frizzadelphia!:lol:, er Frizz City:o But the shirt catches all the excess water...and i like to throw on an old hoodie when i really don't feel like being wet. But living in Florida right now, i don't mind the water on me at all half the time!

PurpleAshes
July 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
...I put my products in first...and then i take a t-shirt and put it on my head like a headband...and let the shirt part drape pack over my hair with the collar around my head (Imagine a bride veil or something) Then i just finished getting dressed or whatever...after i'm done i carefully slide the shirt off my head and gently shake my head to separate the curls.

Hm. That sounds fun :cheese: I have to wash my hair tomorrow so Iīll be trying that idea.

SpinDance
July 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM
I certainly don't have curls like you (I wish!) but I do understand the wet hair on the back of the neck, and for me, down my back as well. Nothing quite as 'fun' as a big wet splotch right on your butt.... My solution is to use a piece of handkerchief linen as a towel. Well a couple of them, actually. I use one to dry off, so it is damp or wet before I use it to blot my hair. Then I use another one to re-blot my hair, sort of squeezing the fabric around my hair a few times to remove as much water as possible. Then while it tries I use another, dry, one tied around my shoulders. The lovely thing about linen is that it absorbs water very quickly, and also dries fast, faster than cotton. And as long as it is wet it is cool to the touch, very nice when it is hot.

I used to use flour sack cloth towels to do this, but I'm finding that the linen works even better. Any drips in the linen haven't seemed to get through to either my skin or clothing.

PurpleAshes
July 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I tried the cape idea, but I didn't tie it around my forehead because my hair do for that day would've been ruined. I used a long spaguetti strap top. I think it would've worked way better if the fabric was a little bit more asorbent. One of this days I have to try the idea of tying around my forehead.

And SpinDance, I really need to get my hands on some linen! Sounds like the solution to all my problems :D

Last week I wore my hair up at all times (despite my very round face) and I guess that made me a little bit more relaxed about having a wet back today.

spirals
July 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I have an idea why plopping frizzes your hair, and it's a simple thing. Try this: after rinsing your hair, don't squeeze the water out. Apply your product to dripping-wet hair and squeeze toward the scalp to get the water to distribute the product. Then, while in the shower, wrap in a microfiber towel. Regular terry towels cause frizz, but microfiber absorbs a lot of water, leaving the product. After that you can T-shirt plop, which will keep it off your back. If it doesn't work, then I got nothin'. Also, I find gel is better for frizz than mousse.

Terra
July 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Hi PurpleAshes,

I really feel with you! I have the same problem. I'm so annoyed of wet hair on my back. :justy:
I do it like you after washing:

I squeeze water out with my hands before applying product, but usually do not blot with a towel. Either way, Iīve become so annoyed with the feeling of water againts my neck that even dampness bothers me.

I tried plopping, but I also don't like the result. Somehow it destroys the clumps of my curls.

Sometimes when I'm annoyed of my wet back, then I put up my wet hair with a flexi8 (http://www.flexi8.com/) for an hour or so. And let it then dry fully when opened again. But unfortunately the curls look nicer if they dry with my hair open...

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Your hair is beautiful.

I have this issue too. I can't do anything to my hair while it's wet or it'll be frizzy and I won't have my usual defined curls. It's soo annoying. To be honest, I haven't mastered my wash and gos yet either.

CurlyCurves
July 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM
But you know what i do...I put my products in first...and then i take a t-shirt and put it on my head like a headband...and let the shirt part drape pack over my hair with the collar around my head (Imagine a bride veil or something)

Hehe, I haven't posted for a few days and still need to reply to messages/check threads but I get the emails to my phone and saw CurlyCap discussing this. So I tried it last night! Here are the results (can you see the slight frizz, though. My hair loves frizz);

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/528804_4363506806259_1806027743_n.jpg

So thanks for the idea :D it's the only think that gives me semi-decent results except from air drying from pretty much soaking wet and not leaving the house until it's fully dry, LOL.

lacefrost
July 18th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Man, this whole time I've been thinking that if my hair were bumped up to full 3c, my life would be easier cause then I could do wash n gos. But I think I would be super annoyed with Wet Neck Syndrome too. I'm not sure I have any good advice for you. As a 4, I don't let my curl pattern come out and play because then it would be the afro you see in my sig pic (although bigger cause it's been nearly 2 years since then.)

Although, if you are truly sick of your hair then maybe you will want to treat your hair like a 4 does:
- Try several twists/rope braids. It'll lock in a nicely defined curl pattern, give your hair more hang, dry way faster and when you release them the style is similar to your natural curls.
- Embrace frizz. Seriously just embrace it. It will always be there, waiting for you, like a stray dog.
- That said, to keep the stray dog from being too rambunctious I find misting my hair with water and covering with a scarf moisturizes my hair between washes and makes my hair look way less frizzy the next morning.
- You could also try dutch and english braids for a bit and just leave your hair alone for a week.
- You could go all sacrilegious and blow dry/flat iron your hair
- Or just rollerset it and leave it in loose curls for the week. (Plus you would have more hang)
- Or sic your hair on a trustworthy friend/relative and make them deal with it.