PDA

View Full Version : Some of the Weird Stuff Bald Guys Talk About

anime_length
July 9th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Okay, maybe no bald. my BF frequents a forum also dedicated to hair growth... of a slightly different kind. But it has a lot of the same sentiments.

However, maybe it's because it's a site mostly dominated by men who are trying to regrow their hair, there are a lot of techniques that are a little more..... nutty... than what we talk about on LHC. For example: Low Level Lazer treatments, loads of supplements, magnesium oil, silver oil, even caffeine applied to the scalp!

Anyone else also encounter things like this or tried any of it?

anime_length
July 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM
These guys also seem to believe that hair loss is associated mainly with gluten and inflammation. Which I don't really see that much talk about here. Do you guys agree?

I mean, it's different for girls because many of us won't lose our hair and won't have to worry about it for a long time. So the goal is certainly different, but the focus still is on growing hair.

humble_knight
July 9th, 2012, 01:38 AM
In the men's magazines I read, there are always zillions of adverts for hair transplantation as a way of covering up baldness. High-profile celebs seem to be quite open about admitting they've had hair transplants, so perhaps it will be more common for us ordinary mortals to think about it as a viable option. One of my uncles, who is quite bald on top, cuts his hair quite short at the back and sides so as to deflect attention from his sparse lil rug.

Jing
July 9th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Topical caffeine has at least been discussed here. I believe there was a study that showed that it had a positive effect on hair growth. Possibly the least nutty one on your list, short of supplements, though taking loads of those isn't such a hot idea. :p

ariesfairies
July 9th, 2012, 03:10 AM
Wow, the lengths these men go to, badda chhhh! :laugh:
Well I understand, if they've got genetic baldness, then it's almost nothing compared to us here with "little" issues like slow-growing or something.

What their goal is to get those hair follicles to actually start up, not to keep going or go faster. So maybe these routines are not so nutty, just a different pathway to a different goal.

Othala
July 9th, 2012, 04:46 AM
I think hairloss and baldness is a very sensitive and emotionally hurtful issue for both men and women. Just imagine if you were going bald, would you not do/try everything in your power to stop it? I know I would.

It may sound strange to you but can you appreciate that people may be traumatised by their alopecia and are desperate to find a cure which leads them to discussing and trying things that seem "weird" to you?

I think sympathy, rather than ridicule, would be appropriate.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 04:53 AM
I think hairloss and baldness is a very sensitive and emotionally hurtful issue for both men and women. Just imagine if you were going bald, would you not do/try everything in your power to stop it? I know I would.

It may sound strange to you but can you appreciate that people may be traumatised by their alopecia and are desperate to find a cure which leads them to discussing and trying things that seem "weird" to you?

I think sympathy, rather than ridicule, would be appropriate.

Yeah.

Balding is sensitive for some. Some shave their heads when balding.

Others like the look. Some guys actually look way hotter bald.
Not much of a consolation, but it works for some people.

Premature balding is often genetic.

Aging also means thinning hair. So, thinning hair = aging. People don't like either of those things, in general.

Here, we're talking about putting vaginal cream on our heads.
Putting caffeine on a balding head doesn't sound so crazy. :)

Shiranshoku
July 9th, 2012, 06:17 AM
It helps put things into perspective, doesn't it? The last 3 days I've been experiencing the first major shed in my life ever due to stress... But my SO has been shedding like I do right now for a couple of months now because he's going bald like most men in his family.

It upsets him, a lot. He's got beautiful, thick and healthy hair and he still sheds. There's hardly any regrowth. We sleep on dark sheets most of the time, because when we sleep on white ones he gets very upset in the morning because his black hair stands out so much. It's heartbreaking, and I can't even begin to imagine how upset I would be if I were in his shoes.

So yeah, I completely understand men trying weird things to encourage their hairs to grow back... Most topics here are about hair problems and disasters that are really not that bad in comparison, imho, and we're all quite obsessive too :)

Allychan
July 9th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Yup. I frequent them all the time. I started out as a researcher and ended up totally addicted!!
PS You'd be surprised at how much research that goes into prostate 'issues' have affected the 'male pattern baldness' hair spruiking business??

BrightEyes
July 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM
there are a lot of techniques that are a little more..... nutty... than what we talk about on LHC. For example: Low Level Lazer treatments, loads of supplements, magnesium oil, silver oil, even caffeine applied to the scalp!

Some of the things discussed here may be considered "nutty" to others not familiar with the community. Monistat on the scalp? I still think that one is a little weird, even if it may work:p

But I agree with the poster who said that balding is very emotionally difficult for many men and women and some would try just about anything to regrow hair. My DH's hairline has started to recede a little and I can tell it worries him.

Shebelina
July 9th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I agree with others who have said that balding can be an emotional experience, and I understand people going to great lengths to try to counteract the changes.

I've known DBF for over 10 years, and he has been balding significantly since he was 15. He's 25 now but he still gets very sensitive if someone brings it up. His closest friends use it as a source of jokes, especially his brother in law, and he laughs it off most of the time, but I know it hurts him deeply.

I think if there was a definitive way to reverse balding affordably, he would not hesitate to try it, even though he knows I think he's very attractive as he is.

HumanBean
July 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I made a joke when I first started seeing DH that I'd love him forever as long as he didn't lose his hair. The next year he started shedding (he was 30). His father has a full head of wavy salt and pepper beautiful hair, the balding is most definitely coming from his mom who has noticeable thinning. DH had a hard time letting go of my joke.

He tried some things to slow it down, but half-heartedly. After our son was born 8 years ago, he shaved his head and wears it that way now always.

I still think it's hard for him after all this time. Our son is growing out his hair and his hair is just like mine, with strong body wave, thick and yet manageable. DH has made more than a few comments about felling left out of the hair thing.

Shiranshoku
July 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I agree with others who have said that balding can be an emotional experience, and I understand people going to great lengths to try to counteract the changes.

I've known DBF for over 10 years, and he has been balding significantly since he was 15. He's 25 now but he still gets very sensitive if someone brings it up. His closest friends use it as a source of jokes, especially his brother in law, and he laughs it off most of the time, but I know it hurts him deeply.

I think if there was a definitive way to reverse balding affordably, he would not hesitate to try it, even though he knows I think he's very attractive as he is.

It's awful when close friends/families use it like that. While they often don't mean much harm by it, it can hurt a lot.

My SO gets the same from his father, who is very nearly bald himself. It's one of the few issues where I'm not completely honest with my SO, because I know the truth would hurt him. I always minimize the baldness and emphasise how good his hair looks.