PDA

View Full Version : Hair type help...

Angel Barchild
July 9th, 2012, 12:12 AM
This is my first post, and I thought I'd get this question out of the way. What is my hair type? http://tinypic.com/r/15ycb53/6

Angel Barchild
July 9th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Grr the pic is not showing. Can any one I wonder what I did wrong.

http://i47.tinypic.com/15ycb53.jpg

Oh now I got it lol.

torrilin
July 9th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Is that freshly washed with no touching?

Angel Barchild
July 9th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Yup no conditioner either, my hair was not happy :( . It's better now though.

guns1969
July 9th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Your hair is very similar to mine, other than the colour, so I'm curious to see what replies you get. My hair in my avatar is naturally dried with just a few drops of argan oil at the ends.

PS - how do you attach your pic to the message?! Sorry, still a newbie :)

lapushka
July 9th, 2012, 02:18 PM
1b, 1c-ish. I dunno. I'm much better at typing 2s.

Alvrodul
July 9th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I'd say 1c.

guns1969
July 9th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Is that for both of us?

jojo
July 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'd say 1b maybe c

Angel Barchild
July 9th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the answers, I appreciate it. I decided to grow my hair out because it's the only thing I haven't done with my hair. This forum really is just packed full of information. :)

red-again
July 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM
At this length I'd go or a 1b but there is the real chance with your hair that like mine, it'll only get wavier on the lengths as they grow. Ad with the help of this forum, you Ell get the best info to grow and find out your waviness.

And to guns 1969, to hair type you need to wash with clarifying shampoo (note to get all tangles out when dry before washing!) so yes wash, I found it easier standing up in the shower, then just put a towel between your shoulders/back and your hair and don't touch it till dry - this is so much harder than you think! And then post a pic under a new thread for hairtyping. As to adding pics, I did mine as part of my signature which you add the same way as you'd have added your avatar but just select the siggy bit on our profile and remember to click the 'show siggy' part that's there in your profile options somewhere.
As to adding another pic, not as a sig, then you need to look at your profile and find the albums part and then you can upload as many as you want, I am unsure as to how you post them though, maybe someone else can help?

Quixii
July 10th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I agree with 1b, kinda 1c.

Angel Barchild
July 10th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting to growing it out. My hair is so fine and slick it won't stay up in anything but a pony tail, and that gets real boring fast. If I wear it down it gets caught in my purse strap an blows in my face (Kansas is windy). I can give up heat styling (good bye curling iron, hello wet set curlers) but my addiction to hair color will be hard to over come.

red-again
July 10th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Have you tried flexi-8's, my hair is fine too but a ii / more so a iii on circumference my dd' all have various hair types and the flexes work wonderfully. Have a peep at the site. Have a look at the style possibilities and the size guide on there too for great tips
Saves ponytails too which can be damaging long term as the hair can break at the point it is tied which will lead to more flyaways in the wind so not what you wasn't. A

guns1969
July 10th, 2012, 05:28 AM
At this length I'd go or a 1b but there is the real chance with your hair that like mine, it'll only get wavier on the lengths as they grow. Ad with the help of this forum, you Ell get the best info to grow and find out your waviness.

And to guns 1969, to hair type you need to wash with clarifying shampoo (note to get all tangles out when dry before washing!) so yes wash, I found it easier standing up in the shower, then just put a towel between your shoulders/back and your hair and don't touch it till dry - this is so much harder than you think! And then post a pic under a new thread for hairtyping. As to adding pics, I did mine as part of my signature which you add the same way as you'd have added your avatar but just select the siggy bit on our profile and remember to click the 'show siggy' part that's there in your profile options somewhere.
As to adding another pic, not as a sig, then you need to look at your profile and find the albums part and then you can upload as many as you want, I am unsure as to how you post them though, maybe someone else can help?

Thanks red-again! I'll do that next time I wash. I have a feeling my hair may be wavier than I think.

torrilin
July 10th, 2012, 06:30 AM
My vote would be a solid 1c. There's at least 2 visible wavelengths, maybe 3, and you're at APL... so that's a lot too wavy for a 1b. If you check the visual guide, most 1b hair just plain does not look wavy. At all.

If you've got a lot of heat damage, your hair may be typing as less wavy than it really is. Don't be surprised if it turns out you've got waves coming straight out of your scalp and you're more like a 2a.

As far as styling goes... fine hair tends to be slippery. There are a couple different threads for things like escape artist hair, fine and thin hair and the like. Putting it up and getting it to stay is partly technique. Use the usual stuff you see stylists recommend and fine and slippery hair will laugh at you and escape. It's partly hair toys, coz using the right kinds of toys makes good technique easier. It's partly practice, because you eventually learn what it feels like when your hair is not desperately racing to hang with gravity. And it's partly killing your perfectionism, coz no style looks really good the first time you do it, or the second.

You've got a real advantage over most of us, because i thickness hair tends to be able to do most styles with very little length. It's just a matter of practice. A lot of folks here like the lazy wrap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt771qkO24)/penci (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34)l/nautilus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y&list=UUM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA&index=4&feature=plcp) bun (they're all pretty similar) as a starter bun. You can hold it with hair sticks (hit up a yarn shop and poke at the shawl pins for short and light ones), spin pins, u shaped pins, tiny claw clips... lots of options. I liked Hypnotica's Artemis bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjLxJF1zIc&list=UUM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA&index=6&feature=plcp) more, but the same tricks hold with it :). There's scads of other ideas in the Hairstyle of the Month forum (it's a sub-forum for Hair Polls and Projects).

bumblebums
July 10th, 2012, 06:34 AM
My vote would be a solid 1c. There's at least 2 visible wavelengths, maybe 3, and you're at APL... so that's a lot too wavy for a 1b. If you check the visual guide, most 1b hair just plain does not look wavy. At all.

If you've got a lot of heat damage, your hair may be typing as less wavy than it really is. Don't be surprised if it turns out you've got waves coming straight out of your scalp and you're more like a 2a.

As far as styling goes... fine hair tends to be slippery. There are a couple different threads for things like escape artist hair, fine and thin hair and the like. Putting it up and getting it to stay is partly technique. Use the usual stuff you see stylists recommend and fine and slippery hair will laugh at you and escape. It's partly hair toys, coz using the right kinds of toys makes good technique easier. It's partly practice, because you eventually learn what it feels like when your hair is not desperately racing to hang with gravity. And it's partly killing your perfectionism, coz no style looks really good the first time you do it, or the second.

You've got a real advantage over most of us, because i thickness hair tends to be able to do most styles with very little length. It's just a matter of practice. A lot of folks here like the lazy wrap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt771qkO24)/penci (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34)l/nautilus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS-BQ5OMV2Y&list=UUM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA&index=4&feature=plcp) bun (they're all pretty similar) as a starter bun. You can hold it with hair sticks (hit up a yarn shop and poke at the shawl pins for short and light ones), spin pins, u shaped pins, tiny claw clips... lots of options. I liked Hypnotica's Artemis bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBjLxJF1zIc&list=UUM1QoYYnH_XwQCeWUQthsVA&index=6&feature=plcp) more, but the same tricks hold with it :). There's scads of other ideas in the Hairstyle of the Month forum (it's a sub-forum for Hair Polls and Projects).

I agree with you on the 1c call, but I wonder whether OP measured her ponytail to get to the "i" thickness or just guessed. Just eyeballing the pic, I would say it's at least ii, if not iii.

pepperminttea
July 10th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Agreed, another vote for solid 1c. :)

torrilin
July 10th, 2012, 07:52 AM
It's hard to tell thickness by looking. Measuring tells the truth, and I figured since she followed directions for washing, she would've for measuring :D. People generally think my hair looks pretty thin, but it's not. And I know some people think Phalanopsis's hair looks thin, which makes me question their sanity.

Either way, the buns I suggested are ones *I* can sometimes do at APL, and I measure at 3", so a quite solid ii. So they should be adaptable for the OP, or she can look at other vids by the people I linked for ideas for herself :). Mostly I want her to have hope that her hair will not always slide right out of updos.

Angel Barchild
July 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I used a piece of string and a measuring tape, and it' not quite two inches, so I suppose I'm really a i/ii. My hair is in pretty good shape, it's very soft and slick, I can't even do a sock bun when my hair is dry, it just slides right out. I've been watching some vids on updos so I can adapt them to use different ways to hold them (sticks don't work for me).

Lol my hubby would like you guys to know that your site is not helping with my minor (okay major) addiction to hair products :D

Dandelion6
July 10th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I'm seeing a 1c.

bumblebums
July 10th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I used a piece of string and a measuring tape, and it' not quite two inches, so I suppose I'm really a i/ii. My hair is in pretty good shape, it's very soft and slick, I can't even do a sock bun when my hair is dry, it just slides right out. I've been watching some vids on updos so I can adapt them to use different ways to hold them (sticks don't work for me).

Lol my hubby would like you guys to know that your site is not helping with my minor (okay major) addiction to hair products :D

You could try spin pins. They are a little pricey for drug store accessories but well worth it, because they hold like a rock.

Tisiloves
July 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I vote 1c, and suggest that you try plaiting as a base, I do a Dutch or a French plait and then flip it up on itself and pin it with a slide/flexi8, holds like a rock.

anitacs9101
July 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM

^^ I agree, I think you're at least 1c, almost verging on 2a. :) Maybe with more length it will be more clear.

anitacs9101
July 16th, 2012, 12:09 AM

^^ I agree, I think you're at least 1c, almost verging on 2a. :) Maybe with more length it will be more clear.