PDA

View Full Version : Progesterone Cream on the Scalp?

Silverbrumby
July 8th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I was surfing google and read a few blogs about using progesterone cream on the scalp to correct the aging hair loss. Then I googled the LHC forums and progesterone but didn't come up with much.

I'm going to assume it that it was tried and didn't work because I don't see any current threads. Lots on Monistat but none on this.

Hoping someone can point me to a thread/s

http://www.livestrong.com/article/135649-progesterone-therapy-hair-loss/

...Significance of Progesterone in Hair Loss
Progesterone is an important hormone produced by the female body. Progesterone also serves as a precursor in the production of other important hormones, including estrogen and cortisone. Progesterone-based hormone therapies can also be effective in treating hair loss. Progesterone inhibits an enzyme, 5-alpha reductase. Progesterone prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone or DHT that is a biologically active metabolite in the body. DHT is considered to be responsible for damaging hair follicles and an important factor in hair loss.
Mechanism
Progesterone is a natural inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme in steroid metabolism. A rich source of 5aR or 5-alpha reductase is found in human scalp hair follicles. Progesterone works by reducing dihydrotestosterone or DHT through blocking 5-alpha-reductase. The hormone must consistently fight against the 5-alpha-reductase. The production of DHT can be resumed, if the treatment discontinues.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/135649-progesterone-therapy-hair-loss/#ixzz206XccEjS

Silverbrumby
July 9th, 2012, 12:31 AM
...Hormone Replacement Therapy
To combat this hair loss as well as other symptoms of menopause, women can take hormone replacement therapy. Both estrogen and progesterone are supplemented orally or topically. These female hormones are "the most common systemic form of treatment for androgenetic alopecia for women in menopause," asserts the American Hair Loss Association.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/101478-menopausal-hair-loss-estrogen/#ixzz206XMMU8Q

Unofficial_Rose
July 9th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I used to use a little progesterone cream when I was fed up with my periods being late (I'm 48 ). But the amount is about a quarter of a teaspoon every day for one week a month. If I happen to overdo it, my periods occur every three weeks (sorry if this is TMI).

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put enough on the scalp to cover it, however thin the layer. That would be quite a lot of progesterone, I think.

Then again perhaps as long as it's in your bloodstream it doesn't matter where you apply it? I use Serenity and the advice is to put it on a fatty bit of your body - plenty of choice in my case!)

Silverbrumby
July 9th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I used to use a little progesterone cream when I was fed up with my periods being late (I'm 48 ). But the amount is about a quarter of a teaspoon every day for one week a month. If I happen to overdo it, my periods occur every three weeks (sorry if this is TMI).

I'm not sure it's a good idea to put enough on the scalp to cover it, however thin the layer. That would be quite a lot of progesterone, I think.

Then again perhaps as long as it's in your bloodstream it doesn't matter where you apply it? I use Serenity and the advice is to put it on a fatty bit of your body - plenty of choice in my case!)

I was considering trying the progesterone cream OTC at the local health food store. More research is needed. Also I read someone say it made their hair fall out!

Unofficial_Rose
July 9th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Oh my word - I never heard of it making people's hair fall out! :eek:

fridgee
July 9th, 2012, 02:26 AM
If you spoke to a dermatologist/tricolligist(sp?)/doctor and they suggested this I would say try it, but it's not the sort of thing I think would be a good idea to go and experiment with yourself. Hormones can have many different effects on your body, especially if you are not in need of them, that I would prefer to follow medical advice on it, and most of the time even they are not sure how any given person will react to a hormone as everyone reacts differently. By all means try it if your comfortable doing so, but if you are having age related hair loss it may be worth speaking to a doctor anyway as they may know of a more effective, safer way to deal with it. :flower:

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I would ask your doctor. Hormones affect so much that it's not worth risking the potential downsides for hair.

Symptoms of Progesterone Deficiency

Hot Flashes
Breast Tenderness
Fibrocystic Breasts
Anxiety
Hair Loss
Bone Loss
Low Libido
Night Sweats
Irregular Periods
Vaginal Dryness
Depression
Insomnia
Infertility

Weight Gain
Acne
Bloating
Mood Swings
Memory Lapses
Loss of Muscle
Nervousness
Excess Facial/Body Hair
Heavy or Painful Periods
Urinary Incontinence
Poor Concentration
Irritability

Causes of Imbalance Between Progesterone and Estrogen

Stress
Obesity
Poor Liver Function
Birth Control Pills
Plant Estrogens (soy, flaxseeds, red clover)
Hormone Replacement Therapy
Peri-menopause
Glandular Dysfunction
environmental estrogens

Benefits of Natural Progesterone Include:

Have a calming effect
Enhance moods
Regulate fluid balance
Normalize sleep
Increase sex drive
Help use fat for energy
Stabilize blood sugar, thyroid function, and mineral balance