PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to put hair in an updo when it is damp?

Sarahlabyrinth
July 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
It's not something I do but was wondering if it damages hair or not.

noot
July 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I've read that a lot of folks put thier hair up when it's damp and even say it helps to keep moisture in. I would think it should be a loose updo as our hair is at it's weakest when it's wet. I put mine up damp and sleep in a loose braid often when it's damp so I'm curious as to what the long timers say. Your hair looks veryshiny and very thick. What ever you are doing must be working as it's beautiful.

jeanniet
July 8th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Oh, sure. Many of us do it, partly because once your hair gets long enough, it's almost impossible to leave it loose long enough to dry all in one go. So often I'll wash it, have it down for a bit, put it up so I can go out and run errands, come back and let it down, put it up, etc. I just do a regular bun--it's not loose because if I do loose buns they come out, but it's not super tight either. Many of us (including me) also often mist our hair before putting it up for the night.

The only time you're likely to run into trouble from damp bunning is if it's constantly wet and in a bun, so that it never gets a chance to dry out.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I've read that a lot of folks put thier hair up when it's damp and even say it helps to keep moisture in. I would think it should be a loose updo as our hair is at it's weakest when it's wet. I put mine up damp and sleep in a loose braid often when it's damp so I'm curious as to what the long timers say. Your hair looks veryshiny and very thick. What ever you are doing must be working as it's beautiful.

Thanks Noot - am just wanting it longer, right now, lol. Good to know that I won't damage it putting it up damp if I need to.

catamonica
July 8th, 2012, 09:44 PM
When I wash my hair, it's slightly damp, then I braid & bun it. When you wear it down, it will be
wavyer then if it was dry.

prettykitty
July 8th, 2012, 09:48 PM
I damp bun all the time, I just don't always have time to let it dry enough. I find it helps my leave in or oils to really soak in nicely :)

Elanadi
July 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Up until about three weeks ago, I put my hair up wet every single day for the last 4 years, and I grew it from chin to hip in that time. I quit doing it thanks to advice from Madora, I didn't know it wasn't the best thing for, but I did manage to grow a lot of length and it's super healthy hair (no dryness or split ends or damage). I do wonder if I shed more as a result of it.

patienceneeded
July 8th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I wear mine up while damp all the time, takes too long to dry! I do let it down and put it back up often during the day unless I braided it.

Yozhik
July 8th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I try to avoid putting up my hair when it's completely damp, so I wait until it's mostly dry. If I have to get it up and out of the way while it's still wet, I try to secure it in a fairly loose updo so that too much strain isn't put on any one strand, since hair is more fragile when wet.

Bene
July 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM
It's called damp bunning. Some people might think it's damaging but hair is tougher than people give it credit for. I damp bun every single time I wash my hair, otherwise I'd have to blow dry it straight or walk around looking like a pair of rats attempted to colonize my head. There are other curlies and wavies here who damp bun as well, and there are people here who have managed to hit some fairly impressive lengths while damp bunning.

dancingbarefoot
July 8th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I've been doing it for 10 years (at least!) and it hasn't caused any damage that I've noticed. Not just damp, either, but completely soaking wet. It's fine.

joflakes
July 9th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I have never had any issues with it...currently sat with dutch braids in my wet hair as I type!

Zesty
July 9th, 2012, 05:52 AM
I do it pretty frequently too, but I try to do styles that don't involve a lot of twisting and do it fairly loosely. Usually this means a loose LWB secured with an acrylic stick. It seems to help smooth the cuticle after washing and helps keep moisture in. But I am always careful about manipulating my hair while it's wet.

Shiranshoku
July 9th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I don't really like doing it, but that's mainly because it's even harder to manage when wet.
It doesn't cooperate, it feels strange, I don't like the noise it makes (I'm very sensitive to noises), and I don't like how it stays wet for so much longer.

But I do it once a week or so without any noticeable damage occurring, so as long as you're careful I suppose it's fine. And I think if you have very long hair, putting it up while still damp is probably better that letting it loose and tangly while it's drying and you want to go out or do something.

jacqueline101
July 9th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I do and I like the fact it seals in moisture and helps my style hold better.

Demi-Plum
July 9th, 2012, 07:08 AM
If I want any waves in it then yes I will braid it damp. I've never noticed any real damage from putting it up but I will notice that my hair isn't always dry by the end of the day and I have fine/thin hair. But I love when i take it down because it always smells so good!

and Sarahlabyrinth I love your sig!

see_turtle
July 9th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I do every day! My hair is much more manageable when wet. If I braid it wet it gets frizzy (gets frizzy if I braid it dry also) I wear it in a version of the log roll bun almost every day with a ficcare and it is still wet at night when i take it down. Does not seemed to have hurt my growing.

Marcellaa
July 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I do damp bunning and it just makes my hair really soft!

herdaughter77
July 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
It always makes my hair super greasy after I take it out. :P That's my experience.

jeanniet
July 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Up until about three weeks ago, I put my hair up wet every single day for the last 4 years, and I grew it from chin to hip in that time. I quit doing it thanks to advice from Madora, I didn't know it wasn't the best thing for, but I did manage to grow a lot of length and it's super healthy hair (no dryness or split ends or damage). I do wonder if I shed more as a result of it.
If you've been doing it all that time and it's been successful for you, why would you stop? You live in a pretty arid environment, so I can see why damp bunning may have been good for your hair. I damp bun quite a bit in the summer because it helps to combat the drier air. I wouldn't stop if you find it's helped your hair.

long&blonde
July 9th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I do this. Wash, towel blot, leave in conditioner & dad of oil all thru,wide seamless comb out tangles, then straight into English braid till my next wash;usually a week. No drying other than wrapped in towel while I walk to get my leave in conditioner,oil,comb. Was as long as low bcl. Now waist last I looked, lol.

Mesmerise
July 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I damp bun my hair because if I try and do it when my hair's dry, it tends to slip out :p. I find any style I do damp stays much better than if I wait until it's dry... and looks neater too, as the dry hair has usually dried with waves here and there in the shorter bits and these bits will still stick out if I do it when it's dry!

I would never be able to get a hair stick to hold in dry hair, and I'm sure that spin pins wouldn't work for me nearly as well if my hair was dry when I bunned either.

That being said, if I want to do a French braid, it's much easier in dry hair as in wet hair I'd get bumpy bits!

I am not afraid of damaging my hair doing this. There are a LOT of worse things for hair than putting it up when it's damp! If I'm not straightening, or blowfrying, or chemically altering my hair, I'm pretty sure that bunning it damp isn't going to be too terrible.

lunalocks
July 9th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Be careful how you fasten your bun. If the bun jiggles or pulls at allaway from your scalp, you risk snapping hairs. I speak from experience. Now, if i bun damp, I use spin pins so it is secure. And never elastics, even covered ones or scrunchies.

jojo
July 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I nearly always bun mine when damp and at the moment *touches wood* I d be hard pressed to find a split end, so no damage has occurred to my hair. If I was to wait for it to dry I'd be there all day! I also like how soft it makes my hair.

Islandgrrl
July 9th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I damp bun, but more often because of time constraints, I wet bun. Dripping wet, more often than not. I've never noticed damage to my hair as a result of all the water.

HintOfMint
July 9th, 2012, 11:55 PM
I damp bun regularly and my hair is definitely better for it--length, condition, and style.

MinderMutsig
July 10th, 2012, 02:57 AM
I damp bun all the time and I'm pretty sure it's less damaging than leaving my hair down for hours on end until it's dry because then it gets all tangly and rubs against things when I sit down.
Obviously you have to take care not to bun it too tight and to evenly distribute the weight but other than that I don't see a problem.

Every now and then I give the curly girl method a go and it does make my hair look really pretty but I always go back to damp bunning because leaving my hair down for hours without touching it is just plain annoying! I have thick hair and even at BSL it takes around 4-6 hours to dry depending on how humid it is. That's six hours of not being able to sit against the seat and not being able to get my hair out of my face not to mention the wetlook you have from crunchy gel curls that you can't scrunch out until it's fully dry.

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Lots of people damp bun. I do.

earthnut
July 10th, 2012, 08:44 PM
It's fine as long as you're gentle. Wet hair with no product in it is prone to breakage. But if you're careful and gentle, and/or use leave-ins that provide slip, then the damage will be minimal.