PDA

View Full Version : Colouring dark blond to chestnut brown due to dark eyebrows?

Phalaenopsis
August 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM
I'm considering dying my natural dark blonde hair to chestnut brown, but ofcourse first, I want to hear everyone's advice and opinions.
I'm young (21) and I want a bit of a change. My hair isn't *long* yet and I still need to grow out some layers, so I figured out if I want to have the experience to dye my hair, this is the moment for it. When my hair gets longer, the growing out part would take too much time.
So, here are my arguments why I would want to dye my hair chestnut brown.
I have green eyes and some people said how good my eyes would stand out with darker hair.
But the most important argument: my haircolour totally doesn't match with the colour of my eyebrows. It's really strange.
This is my haircolour:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/thhaar24juni2008.jpg
and this is the colour of my eyebrows (and those are my green eyes :o) :
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/myeyes.jpg
And no, I don't wear mascara, my eyelashes are really that black :?

I would like to use a hairfriendly dye such as Naturtint or Herbatint or something.
Your advice and opinion would be much appreciated :blossom:

Juliet's Silk
August 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
You know, I'd do it.
If I think about it, my hair could look as light as yours in some lightning - is your hair really that light or does it appear darker in different lightening? In the second picture, it looks really dark.

Usually I'm all for going natural etc. but I have this peeve about clashing eyebrow and hair color.

My eyebrows/lashes are as black as yours and I died my hair darker to a dark chocolate brown. I love it - the darker hair makes everything fit much better. Before, the light hair made me look off.
I think this is the way I was "meant" to look but the hair got lighter due to sun bleaching.
ETA: Looking at your eye picture I think we even have the same eye color... the color with the yellow ring around the pupil (is it the pupil?).

So, I'd do it. If you use indigo+henna, your hair will even get conditioned. ;)

Isilme
August 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
as always when someone wants a change I suggest a washout colour first to see if you like it before making any permanent changes. You could even do this several times if you aren't sure. I don't know how long a dark washout would reaimn on light hair or if it even could be permanent in some way, but you have the chance or removing it with colourfix or something else and I think it will be easier it it was designed to be washed out from the beginning rather than permanent. This way you could also see if you want a warm chocolate brown or a more ashy one.

Juliet's Silk
August 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Maybe I should add that my hair naturally really IS as dark as I dyed my hair. The length did look really light (light brown I'd say) but the roots are such a dark brown, that you can't see a difference between the roots and the dyed length, even though my last dye was 1 1/2 years back.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
as always when someone wants a change I suggest a washout colour first to see if you like it before making any permanent changes. You could even do this several times if you aren't sure. I don't know how long a dark washout would reaimn on light hair or if it even could be permanent in some way, but you have the chance or removing it with colourfix or something else and I think it will be easier it it was designed to be washed out from the beginning rather than permanent. This way you could also see if you want a warm chocolate brown or a more ashy one.

I totally agree with this.

Riot Crrl
August 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Or try on wigs.

I don't think dark eyebrows and light hair is weird, though. Seems like half the world is bleaching their hair platinum and drawing black eyebrows on.

Phalaenopsis
August 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
You know, I'd do it.
If I think about it, my hair could look as light as yours in some lightning - is your hair really that light or does it appear darker in different lightening? In the second picture, it looks really dark.

Usually I'm all for going natural etc. but I have this peeve about clashing eyebrow and hair color.

My eyebrows/lashes are as black as yours and I died my hair darker to a dark chocolate brown. I love it - the darker hair makes everything fit much better. Before, the light hair made me look off.
I think this is the way I was "meant" to look but the hair got lighter due to sun bleaching.
ETA: Looking at your eye picture I think we even have the same eye color... the color with the yellow ring around the pupil (is it the pupil?).

So, I'd do it. If you use indigo+henna, your hair will even get conditioned. ;)

My hair looks really dark on the second picture because it's oily :o It isn't that dark. The first picture approaches my haircolour quite good, maybe a tad lighter because of the sun. My hair got blonder due to a silvershampoo.

This picture was taken a year ago I think, during autumn or winter
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/IMG_0982.jpg
The colour is quite brassy with a lot of golden shade in it. You can see how it still doesn't match with my very dark (even black) eyebrows.
I don't want ashy, I would love a warm chocolate brown.
I already intented to first try a washout colour, but that's a different product, so if I'd go for a semi-permanent, the colour still wouldn't be the same.

It's just, my hair is so *in between*. It isn't really blonde, it isn't really brown, it's so... :shrug:
I've never heard that someone loved my haircolour except here on LHC. My colour isn't deep and rich enough.
It's also, if I don't try, I'll never know. I won't be dying hiplength hair.

peachrose
August 3rd, 2008, 01:11 PM
I have medium brown hair and just went chestnut brown with Garnier Natural Instincts semi-perm in Chestnut... It's supposed to wash out in 24 washes but if you are CO or using less shampoo I think it will last longer. I found it to be a really gentle dye and the color turned out beautiful, really shiny and rich. That might be a good option so that if you hate it you can use a clarifying shampoo to make it fade fast. HTH!

Juliet's Silk
August 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Don't go for a warm color. Really, don't. It will clash with your black (=cool) colored eyebrows just as much as the light color does now.
I know it, my first experiements gave me a reddish hue on the roots... it looked soo strange next to my black eyebrows. My hair now is dark chocolate, but not warm. It's still a "rich" color, you don't need red or golden tones to get a rich color.
You can change the lightness of the hair any way you want but I really wouldn't change the level of warmth or lack thereof.

Phalaenopsis
August 3rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Oh, whoops, with warm I didn't mean golden or red tones. No, okay, no warm colour ofcourse, that's exactly what I DON'T want. I think just simpley "Chestnut" would be good, since my dark blonde hair will soak up a lot of the colour.
Or should I take dark chestnut? Would that be the same as dark Chocolate? Like this: http://vitanetonline.com/images/products/54.jpg

Phalaenopsis
August 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
Here is the colour I'm thinking of trying, but the colours they show is on synthetic hair...
http://www.herbatint.co.uk/herbatint/about/herbatint-colour-chart.php
If you click on 4N you can see an enlarged picture of the "Chestnut" colour.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Oh, whoops, with warm I didn't mean golden or red tones. No, okay, no warm colour ofcourse, that's exactly what I DON'T want. I think just simpley "Chestnut" would be good, since my dark blonde hair will soak up a lot of the colour.
Or should I take dark chestnut? Would that be the same as dark Chocolate? Like this: http://vitanetonline.com/images/products/54.jpg

This appears to have red tones to me.

Juliet's Silk
August 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Okay that's REALLY hard to say from that picture, they all look the same to me, and they all look black.
They have an "Ash Chestnut" (4c), did you see that one?

Phalaenopsis
August 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
They all look black to me too, I'm just following the name.

The little square they show here:
http://www.natureshop.nl/shop/naturtint-haarverf/naturtint-permanente-haarverf-donker-kastanje-bruin.html
That's the colour I want. That's Naturtint Dark Chestnut

I found colouring shampoos from Color Plus (L'Oreal Paris, not exactly great for my hair), but haven't found in which shades they are available.

And maybe I should just start with washing my hair with shampoo for brown hair instead of blonde hair? Although, right now I'm using a neutral shampoo.

Tangles
August 3rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
My mom always had similar coloring to yours until she went grey, and many found it extremely attractive. (Do you know how much time most blondes spend filling in brows and applying mascara every morning?)

I would suggest waxing your brows a little and leaving your hair alone, but that's just me.

spidermom
August 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
My mom always had similar coloring to yours until she went grey, and many found it extremely attractive. (Do you know how much time most blondes spend filling in brows and applying mascara every morning?)

I would suggest waxing your brows a little and leaving your hair alone, but that's just me.

Nope - not just you. I was thinking something similar. Blondes who dye dark tend to look like they're getting bald spots because of light-colored roots as the hair grows.

chloeishere
August 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
The only annoying thing about dying dark blonde hair darker is that when your roots grow out, it will look like you are balding, because your roots are so light compared to the rest of your hair.
My eyebows are lighter than my hair mostly (how delightful!), so I have the opposite problem. I'm thinking of dying my eyebrows so you can see them from farther away. :D

Our coloring is pretty different (except that we both have dark blonde hair naturally), but here's a picture (from my album) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=582&pictureid=6026) that shows me with the darker hair color I had for a while. It really did make my eyes pop, but because of the light eyebrows, and my much-less-nice-than-your's-eyelashes, it was too high maintenance for me. I had to wear make up (the horror!) or else I'd look washed out. I was definitely wearing mascara in that picture, and also eyebrow pencil.

aisling
August 4th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I'm considering dying my natural dark blonde hair to chestnut brown, but ofcourse first, I want to hear everyone's advice and opinions.
I'm young (21) and I want a bit of a change. My hair isn't *long* yet and I still need to grow out some layers, so I figured out if I want to have the experience to dye my hair, this is the moment for it. When my hair gets longer, the growing out part would take too much time.
I have green eyes and some people said how good my eyes would stand out with darker hair.
But the most important argument: my haircolour totally doesn't match with the colour of my eyebrows. It's really strange.

It's a myth that the eyebrows on blonde people always matches their hair and darker eyebrows means dyed hair. That's not true, it's very common that blondes have darker eyebrows, especially the darker blonder types. I have that colour combination myself and here, a country full of dark blonde people, you see that this combination is very common and very natural. Actually, matching hair and eyebrows are more uncommon and you see it mostly on the naturally platinum blonde types with pink skin.

That said, I've also dyed my hair darker with temporary colours and I loved it, it looked great. I think that you with this hair colour easily can pull off both a little lighter and darker colours on your hair.

Phalaenopsis
August 4th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Hmm, I didn't think about the balding effect. That means I'll have to touch up my roots a lot. Luckily, I don't have to touch up my eyebrows or eyelashes when I dye my hair, because they're already black.

The only annoying thing about dying dark blonde hair darker is that when your roots grow out, it will look like you are balding, because your roots are so light compared to the rest of your hair.
My eyebows are lighter than my hair mostly (how delightful!), so I have the opposite problem. I'm thinking of dying my eyebrows so you can see them from farther away. :D

Our coloring is pretty different (except that we both have dark blonde hair naturally), but here's a picture (from my album) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=582&pictureid=6026) that shows me with the darker hair color I had for a while. It really did make my eyes pop, but because of the light eyebrows, and my much-less-nice-than-your's-eyelashes, it was too high maintenance for me. I had to wear make up (the horror!) or else I'd look washed out. I was definitely wearing mascara in that picture, and also eyebrow pencil.

That colour is really nice and yes, your eyes really pop out beautifully :) How did you get your original colour back? Did you just grow it out?

I never use mascara and sometimes people think that I've put on some mascara. I don't wear it, because I don't want the Minnie Mouse effect :p
And yes, my eyebrows need a little waxing, it's been a long time since I've had it done by a professional. I only plucked the new grown hairs to keep the shape.µ

Just 'borrowed' the shampoo from my mother. It's Ultra Doux for chesnut to darkbrown hair with henna and some kind of berry in it to enhance the brown colour. Absolutely no effect, the blonde just shines as great as ever.
Strange though, because when I use a blonde enhancer you can really see the effect.

Phalaenopsis
August 4th, 2008, 04:05 AM
It's a myth that the eyebrows on blonde people always matches their hair and darker eyebrows means dyed hair. That's not true, it's very common that blondes have darker eyebrows, especially the darker blonder types. I have that colour combination myself and here, a country full of dark blonde people, you see that this combination is very common and very natural. Actually, matching hair and eyebrows are more uncommon and you see it mostly on the naturally platinum blonde types with pink skin.

That said, I've also dyed my hair darker with temporary colours and I loved it, it looked great. I think that you with this hair colour easily can pull off both a little lighter and darker colours on your hair.

Oh, I didn't know that. Here it's really uncommon, since I'm the only one around here who has this. :? And it's not just that I have a bit of darker eyebrows: it's BLACK with dark blonde hair :?
Did the temporary colours last long? And those fade out, right? Then you don't have the balding effect going on.

Tap Dancer
August 4th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Temporary color is a good way to go unless you don't mind the two-tone look you'll have if/when you decide to grow it out. Of course you could always go to a salon and have your eyebrows bleached lighter. ;) And black lashes are great! My hair is naturally dark brown and I have black eyelashes. You don't need mascara!

FrannyG
August 4th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Phalaenopsis, I spoke to you on your profile page about this before I saw this thread, however a couple of other thoughts came to mind.

Firstly, yes, it is very common to have lashes and brows darker than one's hair. In fact, when I was growing up, I knew a lovely girl who had pale blonde/almost white hair naturally, and her brows were dark enough that they looked black in comparison. I always thought she looked beautiful.

Secondly, the subject of the "balding" effect came up in this thread, and I'll tell you, it's very true. I already told you that my light roots came in very quickly when I had the dark brown hair, but I didn't think to tell you that it did give me a look of having very thin hair and a very wide part. In photos, it did look like bald spots. I had almost forgotten about that. I think I must have chosen to forget about it.

Literally within a week of touching up the roots, the balding effect would set in. It made the part in my hair look extremely wide. Honestly, I couldn't in all good conscience recommend that you have to go through that.

Also, while some colours are temporary, I have to tell you that on blond hair, it can be permanently staining. If you don't like it, it may be very hard to remove safely.

Obviously, the choice is yours, but I think that those of us who have experienced something like this should give full disclosure so that you know what you might be getting yourself into.

Please keep us updated. :flowers:

Phalaenopsis
August 4th, 2008, 06:08 AM
There are some downsides, that I know. But reading the comments, nobody said they hated the colour or the effect the colour had.
Sometimes I regret I cut my hair short, but then again, if I hadn't done that, I would have never known how it is to have short hair. I had the experience, liked it for over more than 4 years and now I want my long hair back.

But I will wait at least 2 weeks before I do anything.

FrannyG
August 4th, 2008, 06:47 AM
While I did give you the downsides, I only did so in the interest of letting you see all sides. I am all for experimenting. What is youth, without having some fun with your look?

I will tell you that despite having to cut 5 inches off my hair afterward, I'm still happy that I had my (almost) year of being a brunette. I had always wanted to do that and I'm glad I did.

I'll be looking forward to your updates. You'll be gorgeous no matter what you decide. :blossom:

Curlsgirl
August 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Temporary color is a good way to go unless you don't mind the two-tone look you'll have if/when you decide to grow it out. Of course you could always go to a salon and have your eyebrows bleached lighter. ;) And black lashes are great! My hair is naturally dark brown and I have black eyelashes. You don't need mascara!

I agree that the having the eyebrows matched instead is perhaps a better idea. Be careful about selecting color because they often come out way darker than they look on the swatch/sample! AND they often don't wash out either, depending on the hair. I think your hair is gorgeous as is and LOVE the eyelashes and eyebrows. I don't think it looks weird at all but very beautiful! I do know how it is to be a little bored/annoyed at the same old hair and want a change but I agree to start with a VERY temporary color to see how you like it. And believe me the touching up is NOT fun and once you do a permanent thing you'll tire of it very quickly! :rolleyes: Just my 2 cents for what it's worth!

Oh and I also wanted to add that fine hair often doesn't take color as well as medium or coarse hair especially as it gets longer. If you are growing out you definitely might want to remember that and perhaps have it done professionally so the roots don't get overlapped if it is a permanent color. Been there done that, cut off the damaged hair before learning!

Anje
August 4th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I don't think you necessarily have to avoid warm tones in your hair color, especially if your hair has warm tones in it now. Yes, the picture of your eyes and skin does look cool, but I think it might be a quirk of the lighting. I actually have a similar situation going -- light auburn/titian hair, green-hazel eyes (definitely warm), and near-black eyebrows and lashes. I decided the color I got with henna just became too dark for my taste after repeated dyeings, so I'm growing it out again. (Luckily the line isn't particularly obvious.)

Definitely try washout colors, maybe even the really short-term 6 wash ones, before you commit to anything (particularly henna + indigo), so you can determine what you like on you. Good luck!

Melian
August 4th, 2008, 08:33 AM
It is common to have darker eyebrows in comparison to hair colour. I am curious, how is your complexion? If it is very fair/normal fair (like not tanning in summer), a too dark colour can make your face very very pale. And very harsh. Keep that in mind too.

JessTheMess
August 4th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Maybe you could try some low lights throughout your hair. This way you could keep some of your natural color, but have some darker streaks throughout your hair. A friend of mine has the same problem as you and was put off a little about dying her whole head. She got low lights, and it looked awesome.

naturechild
August 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I jumped ahead w/o reading this whole thread *sorry* but you sound exactly like me on the old threads I asked the same question I have / had blond hair with omg the same color eyes and same color brows but we are no wear near in age or I would say we were related, except my own sister doesn't look anything like me.
I digress:
I wanted to dye my hair real bad.
I did do the wig thing and wow my eyes were exotic and I just loved it. I used the same color you have chosen and I was shocked it turned it PURPLE. I called the company and they told me because I had so much red in my hair (news to me) it picked up the tone and enhanced it. It was BAD.
I went to Nutrisse espresso and I loved it. I wore more eye makeup to make my eye's really pop. my lashes are black too. I used eye liner for awhile too. I had it that way for almost 2 years. My oldest daughter and I had the same hair and she loved it. hers is natural. My other kids hated it they have blond. It was funny.
It became a pain to keep up the dye though and I started missing the blond. When I saw girls with the Marilyn Monroe look (dark brows blond hair) I would miss my old self.
I once again came back to the forum and asked for help aka "I want my blond back" Its been a little over a month now with my old self. I am natural again no eye make up and I feel beautiful. I definitely don't regret doing it though. It was fun and I got to see what life would be like brunette. I did get a kick out of the difference in how people look at you. I felt sexier brunette but I got much more attention as a blond. In the long run I feel sexier blond again. I just needed a change and now I am back.

I hope that helps! Good Luck and don't forget hair is supposed to be fun, but be careful I don't think I got the length I could have with out messing with it.

wintersun99
August 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
[.............

bex487
August 4th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm naturally a dark golden blonde, yet my eyebrows seem to be a medium brown. I actually really like the look-many darker blondes have brown eyebrows.

However, I'm all for experimentation. Go for it! I'd HIGHLY recommend a semi-perm dye though. I used a permanent dye to go really dark (we're talking almost black), and after a couple months I was sick of it. I ruined my hair trying to bleach the color back to blonde, and I ended up cutting off the damage.

You also might want to take into consideration your skin color. Dark hair ended up really making me look washed-out, because I'm pretty fair naturally. I need the golden blonde to warm me up.

aisling
August 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Oh, I didn't know that. Here it's really uncommon, since I'm the only one around here who has this. :? And it's not just that I have a bit of darker eyebrows: it's BLACK with dark blonde hair :?
Did the temporary colours last long? And those fade out, right? Then you don't have the balding effect going on.

I used L'Oreal Casting and that pretty much stayed the promised 6-8 weeks, fading gradually. I do think some sun bleached streaks didn't wash out the same way, the colour stuck to them a bit more. Anyway, I think this could be something to try, but beware, at least my ends dried out from this kind of temporary colour.

Katze
August 4th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I dunno, I actually think you look quite pretty and that your natural hair color seems to change in the light, so why not enjoy what you have? :)

I was white-blonde as a kid and still have 'clear' pale blonde eyebrows, while my hair has darkened a lot. Because of this 'mismatch' I bleached my hair for decades, with the justification that I am 'really' blonde. This led to me having really damaged, dry, ugly hair that would never grow, and me really not being at peace with who I 'really' am - somewhere between blonde and brown, like you.

It's your decision at the end of the day, but I'm all for learning to like your natural color.

Just a thought from a former dissatisfied bleach and dye addict.

edited to add: I looked at the pic of your eyes/eyebrows again. You are really very fortunate to have such thick, dark eyebrows and eyelashes - many of us 'have to' wear mascara because of blonde eyelashes. Your natural look is very 'in' and I think you should count yourself lucky!

LadyMoon11
August 4th, 2008, 10:41 AM
As others have suggested, I suggest you do something not too drastic or permanent first.
I think Low Lights in a darker shade might work well for you. If not, then a semi-permanent color., just so you can see if you like the darker hair.

Your eyes are stunning.

I think your natural coloring is neat. :D But- if you would like a change, then go for it. Perhaps just take it slow with some low lights or no permanent first, just in case. :flower:

Phalaenopsis
August 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I dunno, I actually think you look quite pretty and that your natural hair color seems to change in the light, so why not enjoy what you have? :)

I was white-blonde as a kid and still have 'clear' pale blonde eyebrows, while my hair has darkened a lot. Because of this 'mismatch' I bleached my hair for decades, with the justification that I am 'really' blonde. This led to me having really damaged, dry, ugly hair that would never grow, and me really not being at peace with who I 'really' am - somewhere between blonde and brown, like you.

It's your decision at the end of the day, but I'm all for learning to like your natural color.

Just a thought from a former dissatisfied bleach and dye addict.

edited to add: I looked at the pic of your eyes/eyebrows again. You are really very fortunate to have such thick, dark eyebrows and eyelashes - many of us 'have to' wear mascara because of blonde eyelashes. Your natural look is very 'in' and I think you should count yourself lucky!

I'm also thinking that I should keep on liking my natural haircolour. It's just, other people opinions get in your head and suddenly you want a change.

Thank you for the compliments, Katze and Ladymoon :o

I've thought this over, reading everyone's comments again and I think I'm doubting too much. There are too many downsides. And what if you get a compliment? 'Hey, like your haircolour with those green eyes.' 'Ehm, the haircolour is not natural...'

Thank you all for reasoning with me :flowers:
I really need a change, but I'm thinking, maybe I should just try a new shampoo or something...
I've bought some Apple cider vinegar, hoping it will give some shine to my hair.

Cinnia
August 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
LOL, you know, I'm Swedish and according to our standards you wouldn't be so much of a blonde, looks quite brownish to me in your pics, although ofcourse, that's hard to tell as cameras seems to either lighten or darken colours.
Anyway that's abit OT; I only really wanted to tell you how attractive it looks with those dark brows to lighter hair.

/C

Katze
August 4th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Cinnia, I have to agree with you. Here in Northern Germany I'm not considered blonde, either, and I have a similar hair color. Is it different in Belgium?

Phalaenopsis, in the pic of your eyes your hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes look like they are the same color, too...

In my case, I wash my hair more often if I want to wear it down, so that it looks more blonde and matches my eyebrows more. Maybe you could try stretching your washes for the opposite effect?

detritus
August 4th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I also have mismatched brows/hair and it drove me bat(#*% crazy for years. Now I don't care as much. My brows are about the same color as yours and my hair is even lighter. Just to echo the warnings that everyone has already made: dyeing blond hair darker is a big pain in the neck. You will get the balding look quickly, in about 2 weeks depending on how quickly or slowly your hair grows. That means your will end up spending a lot of money on touch-ups and probably getting a lot of damage because of the overlapping chemicals. That or deal with the balding appearance, which is IMO much, much worse than the darker eyebrows thing.

Plucking your eyebrows into a slightly thinner shape will make them appear lighter (this is what I do). You can also lighten them. I've never had mine lightened professionally, but if mine are really getting to me I'll just wipe a cotton ball with some 3% household peroxide across them every morning. That will gradually lighten them (so you don't end up with eyebrow "roots", a very strange looking thing). The only problem I've found is that the color tends to end up quite brassy, so it might clash with your more ash-toned hair.

Also--I really love that not blonde/not brown in between color you have! Don't knock it!

spidermom
August 4th, 2008, 01:55 PM
My blonde daughter got dark lowlights; that looks pretty good.

Phalaenopsis
August 6th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Here I go again. I got seduced in my shop. I bought some Colour cream (washes out after 8-10 washes) from Hennaplus.

It's difficult to explain, but I just don't want to be myself for a while. I want to experiment. Or am I just psychologically unstable or something? :silly:

spidermom
August 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Nothing wrong with a little experimenting. Enjoy your new color and post a picture for us.

wintersun99
August 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
It's difficult to explain, but I just don't want to be myself for a while. I want to experiment. Or am I just psychologically unstable or something? :silly:

At 21 yo, isn't eveyone? Just kidding. :D

Enjoy yourself and experiment, it's not a big deal. Condition a lot and have fun

Phalaenopsis
August 6th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I can't use it yet, because I've only bought one bottle. The woman of the shop said I would be fine with one bottle, but then the bottle says: for thick hair or shoulder length hair and further, use 2 bottles... :?

I don't think I'll have to condition, since the colour cream itself is very nurishing. It's from Hennaplus, so it isn't anything harsh. There is Cassia (neutral henna) in the cream, so my hair will probably stay a bit darker even after 10 washes?

spidermom
August 6th, 2008, 11:56 AM
There is Cassia (neutral henna) in the cream, so my hair will probably stay a bit darker even after 10 washes?

Not because of the cassia, which is colorless to somewhat yellowish.

Sofoulee
August 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I think I'd try on a wig or two to see if I'd like the color, but other than that, if it'll make you happy... go for it! :D

NurseMama
August 6th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I just want to add that if you visit an esthetician you can have your brows lightened professionally.

Euphony
August 6th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I just noticed this thread, but I wanna say I empathize! I'm 3/8 Native American, I ended up with the red undertone of a Native American skin tone, though I'm relatively white. I have very dark brown eyes, nearly black eyebrows and my hair bleaches to a dark blonde. The roots are fine, if my hair stayed the color it grows out at I'd be a happy camper. But for some reason my hair is extremely susceptible to sun bleaching.

This is me at 22, I always had bangs so my eyebrows weren't terribly noticeable but I sure had to make sure to keep them waxed (I get super thick eyebrows!).
http://getchellwedd.topcities.com/babypic.jpg

Here's a more recent driver's license picture of me, fortunately my hair has darkened with age - but it still bleaches out so bad.

http://getchellwedd.topcities.com/license.jpg
Don't mind the stupid look on my face, she said look at the dot...I did, she snapped the picture sadly the dot would've been good for someone about 6 inches shorter than me so instead I look half asleep.

Now I henna and my nearly black eyebrows are barely noticeable!!!

Niphredil
August 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM
If you feel like experimenting with your looks (whether by dying your hair or dying your eyebrows), I'd say go for it ! Do think about it for a couple of weeks and don't go for drastic changes at once!

That said, I do like your haircolour. It looks a darkblonde/light brown to me with golden highlights in it. I also like your eyebrows and eyelashes! They really define your eyes!
It is not uncommon to have darker eyebrows/eyelashes compared to your haircolour. I also know a woman with light platinum blonde hair (natural!) with almost black eyebrows/-lashes. She is about 5-10 years older than I am and I remember her from when I was just a little kid. The most striking feature were her eyebrows, and she still has it that way.

The hennaplus colourcream supposedly is quite gentle on the hair. I hope you'll like the results!

FrannyG
August 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Here I go again. I got seduced in my shop. I bought some Colour cream (washes out after 8-10 washes) from Hennaplus.

You are not psychologically unstable. And I do know what it feels like not to want to be oneself for a while. I think most women go through some form of that from time to time.

Enjoy yourself, enjoy your hair. Just remember--photos!!!!! :)

MeMyselfandI
August 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM
This is my haircolour:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/thhaar24juni2008.jpg
and this is the colour of my eyebrows (and those are my green eyes :o) :
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/myeyes.jpg
And no, I don't wear mascara, my eyelashes are really that black :?

I would like to use a hairfriendly dye such as Naturtint or Herbatint or something.
Your advice and opinion would be much appreciated :blossom:

If I were you, I would not dye my hair darker to bring out the eyes etc.

I think with darker hair your eyesbrows and eyes would be less noticable, because they will be closer in colour.

I had natural warm dark blond/light brown with gold, blond and red strands in it. My eyes are green with yellow/gold in them. My eyebrows are dark brown to black. My eye lashes were always long and black.

In my opinion the dark contrast of my eyebrows and eyelashes made my eyes much more noticable.

My hair looks really dark on the second picture because it's oily :o It isn't that dark. The first picture approaches my haircolour quite good, maybe a tad lighter because of the sun. My hair got blonder due to a silvershampoo.

This picture was taken a year ago I think, during autumn or winter
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/naturalgirl/IMG_0982.jpg
The colour is quite brassy with a lot of golden shade in it. You can see how it still doesn't match with my very dark (even black) eyebrows.
I don't want ashy, I would love a warm chocolate brown.
I already intented to first try a washout colour, but that's a different product, so if I'd go for a semi-permanent, the colour still wouldn't be the same.

It's just, my hair is so *in between*. It isn't really blonde, it isn't really brown, it's so... :shrug:
I've never heard that someone loved my haircolour except here on LHC. My colour isn't deep and rich enough.
It's also, if I don't try, I'll never know. I won't be dying hiplength hair.

My natural hair was just a bit darker then the big picture with more red and gold in it.

I loved my hair colour, others loved my "highlights". I ignored the greys for about 10 years unitl I had so much at the temples and the hair around my face had gone blackish. Last summer I noticed that I had so much of the salt and pepper hair when my hair was in a ponytail, that the real colour was not there anymore. I finally gave in and tryed to reproduce my natural colour. I was never able to get a similar match. And just forget all those highlights. (Natural Match, came close.) I use henna now, removed as much of the chemical tints from my hair. I am liking my hair colour again.

Another caution:

I have heard that people with fine hair, even the semi dyes can stay perm.

On my fine hair, I got a lot of excess dye in my hair. If you do use a dye. I would strongly recommend a neutral protein filler.

All that being said, I would still recommend, keep your hair natural without any dyes, it is an original colour and you. Enjoy life, have fun, you will will have many years later in life to be tied down to colouring the hair.

MeMyselfandI
August 6th, 2008, 01:59 PM

No you are not unstable.

21 is a fun time. As long as it is not self destructive, enjoy it.

Another way to experiment is with different colour clothes and styles, go bold, different from what you are now. Try the royal blues, fushias, bright yellows to be noticed.

chloeishere
August 6th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Hmm, I didn't think about the balding effect. That means I'll have to touch up my roots a lot. Luckily, I don't have to touch up my eyebrows or eyelashes when I dye my hair, because they're already black.

That colour is really nice and yes, your eyes really pop out beautifully :) How did you get your original colour back? Did you just grow it out?

I never use mascara and sometimes people think that I've put on some mascara. I don't wear it, because I don't want the Minnie Mouse effect :p
And yes, my eyebrows need a little waxing, it's been a long time since I've had it done by a professional. I only plucked the new grown hairs to keep the shape.µ

Just 'borrowed' the shampoo from my mother. It's Ultra Doux for chesnut to darkbrown hair with henna and some kind of berry in it to enhance the brown colour. Absolutely no effect, the blonde just shines as great as ever.
Strange though, because when I use a blonde enhancer you can really see the effect.

I'm sorry, I didn't see this reply!

Thank you for the compliment. :D I did really like how my eyes looked almost light in comparison to my hair-- they're kind of a dark blue, so they don't look light next to my hair. The color I used was Ion Light Copper Brown (it's sold at Sally's) with a 10v developer, which is supposed to be used when you want darker hair. And also, it's much less damaging.

After about 6 months, I got tired of the upkeep, and colorfixed it. I think colorfix is also sold at Sally's! This worked because I used a permanent color, not a semi-perm. I posted about the whole process here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7670&page=2) (which includes many pictures!). It took a while to get back to my natural color (honey lightening helped to take out the rest of the red tones).

I certainly can't point a finger about brow maintenance! I remember to shape them up about once every six months. :p I think your brows look great, and well shaped, for what it's worth.

ETA: If you want to dye your hair darker, you should go for it! I don't regret doing it, because I'd never had darker hair before, and I really liked the way it looked for a while, before I started not wanting the extra work. It generally looked good. Yes, I do have to deal with the damage now, but it wasn't *that* damaging, so it was worth it.

You are allowed to experiment, it's part of life (I don't think you shouldn't experiment based on age, so I won't use the "You're young!" argument. Experiment even when you are older, it keeps you feeling young).

The thing to remember is that henna (even hennalucent) is often more permanent that the labels claim, so your semi-permanent color may turn out to be otherwise, especially if you have fine hair. You generally shouldn't leave the color on as long with fine hair, or it will get darker than you expect-- the color I used was *light* copper brown, and I would say it was at least a medium brown when I used it.

Good luck, either way!

Phalaenopsis
August 8th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I want to try the colourcream, just to see the effect. Then I could experiment and after a month or so, I would have my original colour back. Or would it stay longer? Will it really wash out completely?

I must say, I used a shampoo with a little bit of henna in it (shampoo for chesnutbrown hair) and my blonde didn't really get back, even with using my silvershampoo, so the Cassia might have been the *bad* ingredient?
Cassia is also in the hennaplus colourcream.

jastark84
August 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I was in a similar situation before, I made my hair a medium/dark brown with reddish tones. My hair is dark blonde blonde naturally and my eye brows are either black or very close to it. I did it a dark brown semi perm dye at first to see if I would like it and not look weird. It looked GREAT, and brought out hidden natural reddish highlights, YAY! :) So I would do it in a non perm color first (which actually turned out to be perm for me since it never washed out), and then a permanent one if you like it. Or if you have some extra $$, you could go to a salon and they can try to match so it will only be like a few shades lighter than your brows. I go to ULTA and get my hair done when I have the money.
I also have green eyes, and yes having darker hair makes them pop lik crazy, especially with a green or purple top on!

amiaow
August 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I really recommend not using Casting on fine hair- I used it about six months ago and it's now growing out! It really does stick, even though it does fade...

But definitely try a temporary colour- this is a fun way to change your hair colour that you can repeat each week if you want to keep it for a month or so to see how you like it!

Blueglass
August 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Blondes often have darker eye brows, I don't see why you need color because of it.