PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of maybe getting bangs/fringe?

Amarante
July 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I've been seriously thinking of getting some fringe/bangs around my face lately. Just to have something to soften my face when I have my hair up. I had some bangs before, but I've let them grow out, and now I'm having a hard time coming up with styles to 'fake' them. :/ Here's what I'm kinda thinking (random, but this little ballarina has my dream fringe!):

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h381/Amaelthia/_conv_PhotoGrid_1341777834033.jpg

Do you guys like having or not having bangs/fringe? Do you think I should go for it or keep my hair the way it is?

Zhennni(:
July 8th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I love bangs! :) but I find that short bangs, ones above the eyebrows are hard to pull off, but thats just my opinion, it really depends on your face shape ,your features & your style

guns1969
July 8th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I agree with Zhennni. I've always preferred longer, softer bangs myself. You could always try some fake ones if you aren't sure. Ken Paves does some on QVC :)

white.chocolate
July 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
The ballerina is cute! But I suggest you try a wig or wigs first before getting bangs to see how they will suit you.

EtherealDoll
July 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I used to have bangs like on that ballerina and they made my face look much rounder especially when I put my hair down.
Longer bangs usually suit many people. But that depends on your face, of course.

spidermom
July 8th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I got mine fairly recently and love them. They're longer than the ballerina but have a similar lay-out.

californiagirl
July 8th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I think you should go for it if you want.

I will say that when I had bangs, they would get oily and greasy like none other. By around noon on the morning I washed my hair, I felt I would need to use dry shampoo or something to get rid of the greasies.

If you want to have bangs, and you can deal with the potential of greasy bangs, or if your hair never does get too oily, give it a try. If you hate it, you can always grow the fringe out!

Amarante
July 8th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Thank you all for your input! I think I may try the longer ones first, then I can go shorter if I want to. You're right, Californiagirl, I just grow them back out if I don't like them. :)

lmfbs
July 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I love them on other people, but they don't suit me.

I agree with starting longer and cutting shorter if you decide, seems safer!

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I love a fringe and suit them but for me they grow out too quickly. I cut some in last may and stopped trimming them last november they are already past my chin! So will continue to grow them out and maybe cut them back in at some point!

I think you would suit a fringe very well

Amarante
July 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Thank you Jojo! I think I will be brave and try them out. :)

Diamond.Eyes
July 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I think those style of bangs would be very appealing on you :flower:. But I am actually growing my fringe out. They used to be straight-across bangs, but I've found them to be pretty annoying, especially in this Arizona heat :flamed:. I've had bangs for 8 years and I'm over them now. :flower:

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I love fringe and I always have.

leilasahhar
July 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I just cut a little to have some side bangs and I LOVE IT! It makes my hairline look much much thicker thats for sure.

RileyJane
July 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM
i would get what i call "the little mermaid" bangs...where they are sideswept but if shaped right , can go across most of your face, giving u the desired across the forehead look :p personally the longer the bang, the chill-er the look ( looking like u werent trying so hard ) and the better the hair days ( personal experience with super short anf long bangs )

Helix
July 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
When my hair was straightened I wanted a different look so I took a trip to the BSS and got myself some $10 clip on bangs. Worked well enough, I thought:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/racheru/bangs-1.jpg

I just bunned my real hair into a high bun and clipped the faux bangs in place. Aside from the bangs being slightly darker than my actual hair color, I got bangs without sacrificing my length.

Not a style I would wear everyday since my hair's usually in it's kinky/curly state, but maybe it's something you could look into before you formally chop. They're pretty convincing, provided you pick the right color and can help you better decide if you like the way they look on you.

Amarante
July 8th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I think those style of bangs would be very appealing on you :flower:. But I am actually growing my fringe out. They used to be straight-across bangs, but I've found them to be pretty annoying, especially in this Arizona heat :flamed:. I've had bangs for 8 years and I'm over them now. :flower:

I've always loved your bangs! I may try the longer ones like the ones in your avatar picture, they are very flattering.

Amarante
July 8th, 2012, 08:56 PM
When my hair was straightened I wanted a different look so I took a trip to the BSS and got myself some $10 clip on bangs. Worked well enough, I thought:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/racheru/bangs-1.jpg

I just bunned my real hair into a high bun and clipped the faux bangs in place. Aside from the bangs being slightly darker than my actual hair color, I got bangs without sacrificing my length.

Not a style I would wear everyday since my hair's usually in it's kinky/curly state, but maybe it's something you could look into before you formally chop. They're pretty convincing, provided you pick the right color and can help you better decide if you like the way they look on you.

Very neat idea! What is BSS? And could you curl them to match your curly locks?

Elanadi
July 8th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'm a fringe girl, my forehead isn't well suited for having my hair pulled back, it looks too severe. My face looks softer with fringe. If they are past my eyebrows, they tend to either hang in my eyes, or push aside too sharply, which drives me nuts AND defeats the point of having fringe. I like them best at or above eyebrow length. (But I agree that they get harder to pull off as they get shorter, unless you rock a retro 50's look or Audrey Hepburn style). With all that being said, my bangs are now an inch or so below my eyebrows and I can't decide if I should cut them again or grow them out; all these fringe threads are not helping my urge to cut! :laugh:

Helix
July 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Very neat idea! What is BSS?

BSS=Beauty Supply Store. Just a place where you can buy hair supplies and makeup. Sally's is an example, but I'm not sure if they carry them since I got the bangs from a privately owned one. However, it wouldn't hurt to check their site to see if they stock them.

Alternatively, you could do a search for 'clip-on bangs' plus the color/color code you want on Amazon or Google and I'm sure you'll find some.

And could you curl them to match your curly locks?

Heheh, this made me smile. I would probably need a curling iron with the circumference of a coffee stirrer to get them to match my texture. Then again...I might be able to get away with it if I do a flexi/curlformer set on my hair. I just might try this...thanks for the idea :)

Amarante
July 8th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Heheh, this made me smile. I would probably need a curling iron with the circumference of a coffee stirrer to get them to match my texture. Then again...I might be able to get away with it if I do a flexi/curlformer set on my hair. I just might try this...thanks for the idea :)

LOL I didn't realize your hair was that curly. :D But cheers if I helped you come up with a new style!

Amarante
July 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Ok, here are some old photos of me when I had the side bang going on:

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/grapevinefire/oldmanda.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/grapevinefire/mandawithbangs2.jpg

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo165/grapevinefire/mandawithbangs.jpg

Something I just thought of though, is how to style them. Back when I had bangs I just used heat styling (flat iron & blowdryer) to fix them. I have curly hair, and my bangs would always have funky curls going on and not lay smooth unless I used heat on them. How do you guys style your bangs with no heat? :confused:

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I like longer, softer bangs that are side swept.

I don't care for blunt straight-across bangs or ballerina-style bangs. Both look too young for me and don't with my face. And, I don't like the blunt heavy bangs look in general. I haven't seen enough people who have it that it looks flattering on, I guess.

Bangs are rather annoying, though. It takes more to style mine (flat iron, product), plus you want to wash them more. And, if they're too short, they can look bad and irritate your face (itch). When too long, they get in your eyes and you're constantly pushing them back. It takes a good stylist to not screw up side swept bangs.

Allychan
July 9th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Cut em long. I always, always cut them too short then wish I'd left them a bit longer.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I could never style mine with no heat.

I would just get heat spray and spray it then flat iron it. At least bangs are short and can be cut regularly.

I've tried washing bangs at night, putting anti-frizz gel on, then pinning them straight back onto my head. That sort of worked ok. Didn't look as good as heat styled, but still ok. Maybe try that?