PDA

View Full Version : Help with Henna and Haircolor

Maelyssa
July 8th, 2012, 01:10 PM
My oldest daughter has had 3 henna applications. After profusely insisting that she would want it forever she would now like to neutralize the red. Perhaps just do a dark brown box dye over it. Her hair is a soft black, dark brown shade.
Now the tricky part is this. She'd like to take just the tips and dye them a bold color like blue, purple or red.
I'm just wondering if using the dye then lightening it a bit would create a catastrophe. Any ideas or experiences?

kurlywurlygurl
July 8th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hi there, hmm to neutralize the red you would have to take something blue-based. Therefore if you want a natural alternative maybe indigo? However if your daughter does not want a "black" shade how about going over it with an ash blonde? Ash blonde is a cool based blonde and would take out the red-or atleast neutralize it to a more golden brown. As for the tips that could be very damaging, but I think it could be done. If she just wants a bright color on the ends she does not have to bleach her hair until its white, so depending on her hair type/natural color it shouldn't be a problem as long as she uses something to condition it to minimize damage. When you do anything to her hair just make sure its atleast a day or two without being washed so her hair's natural oils will protect her hair, and make sure to condition the ends!! i hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Iolanthe13
July 8th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Hmmm, I haven't done anything like this myself, but I'm sure you've seen the threads about removing henna/henndigo? I would try Colour Oops or something similar for the body of the hair, and a semi-permanent dye over it, avoiding the ends. Then maybe try bleaching the ends and using Manic Panic or similar, which would cover any unevenness caused by bleaching henna - perhaps a red or purple colour would be best, if the bleached henna comes out orange? If the bleach really fries her hair, you could just trim the ends off. It sounds like anything as permanent as, say, henndigo would be a bad idea for your daughter.

Maelyssa
July 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Her natural color is very dark and curly. To give an idea she is of a biracial background.

I've just recently experimented with ColorOops myself and didn't really like the results. I ended up using boxed dye over it. Honestly, it was the first non natural thing I've tried in years and while it's supposed to be non damaging, my hair wasn't the same after the application. It basically matted and was a bit dry and crunchy. With her hair type I'm afraid of what it might do. Plus it really burned my scalp and a lot of the henna remained after hours of it sitting. It was just a lighter, brighter red even after a few days. So boxed neutral brown helped but in the light, there's a hint of brown and Im LOVING it!
That said we're trying to figure out the right course.

Thank you ladies for your suggestions!

spidermom
July 8th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Remember, coconut oil before bleaching.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'd certainly not recommend indigo especially as she is still young and experimenting with her hair, take it from me it's awful to get out of she changes her mind later on. It is perfectly safe to bleach henna out thought, use coconut oil first to stop any damage and have fun with her hair!

Colour b4 and decolour worked for me but it isn't guaranteed to work on all henna or indigo for that matter, I just got lucky and had a lot of patience keeping it up!

Alvrodul
July 8th, 2012, 04:28 PM
I agree with jojo, indigo is definitely not the way to go! It can be even more permanent than henna, and then where will she be when she changes he mind again?
In addition, trying to use bleach on henndigoed hair is vey likely to end with the hair an unpleasant shade of green - some have described it as "frog-butt green".
Getting henna out of hair isn't always possible. There are those who have managed it, but the price is always damaged hair.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM
^^although I get what your saying removing henna or indigo is not always damaging as long as its done slowly and treated well in between, I have had no damage whatsoever and would be hard pressed to even find a split in my hair and that's coming from a fine haired. Though if rushed and bear in mind it took me a year to get my desired results, expect damaged split hair, patience is the key!

Maelyssa
July 8th, 2012, 07:12 PM
We will definitely forget the indigo and make coconut oil a must! Thank you all for the suggestion.