PDA

View Full Version : Question About Coconut Oil. Help Please :)

blaketob
July 8th, 2012, 12:37 PM
So the other day I bought myself coconut oil and I was so excited to use it; however, when I did I found that my hair was extrememly greasy by the next day. Is that normal? I find it harder to stretch my washes now. Am I only supposed to use it after a few days when my hair is already dirty, or do I use it after I just washed my hair? Thanks for the help!!

oh and i didn't put it on my scalp.. just a little at the ends of my hair!

Nymfora
July 8th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I find when I use it before I braid my hair for bed my hair absorbs some of it but not all and it does look oily. I usually would be washing my hair that day so I just bun it. But on my deep oil days I us alot and wash it out in the shower and I sometimes apply some to my ends.

You try using less and see what happens, maybe your hair just absorbed a bit of and what your seeing is what is left over? HTH :)

SongofLove
July 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM
You can use it in lots of different ways. There are quite a few threads where LHCers have shared the ways they use coconut oil, such as these ones: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85336 and http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=28

I think you need to find what works best for your hair. Some use it as a pre-wash conditioner while others use it right after washing. I actually do both because I'm crazy about the stuff :) and I even message it into my scalp before washing. But I don't care if my hair looks totally greasy because I like to cover my hair with a scarf most the time.

I think you also have to completely remove the coconut oil once in a while...You can do this by putting gobs of conditioner in your dry hair and leaving it for a while, then rinsing.

blaketob
July 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all your help guys :)

GrowingGlory
July 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Maybe your hair doesn't need oil.

spidermom
July 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I like to use it the night before I plan to wash my hair.

Kyla
July 8th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I'm the same as Spidermom, I'm always at risk for oiler hair so I don't use it very soon after a wash.

blaketob
July 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
good tips. I'll have to do that then. I know a lot of people on here said that they use it everyday, but I think i'll just have to use it on my hair when it's already dirty and in need for a wash soon

lmfbs
July 8th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I use coconut oil daily. I use about a pea sized glob in my waist length hair. I wash every few days and it doesn't look oily - my hair soaks it up. If your hair isn't very porous or doesn't like oil it will tend to sit on the top of your hair and make it look oily without soaking in - try using less or a different type of oil.

Gogobaby
July 8th, 2012, 03:55 PM
I advise to use it soon after washing, like, when it's still soaking (dripped off, squeezed) and see how it dries. My hairdresser says that the cuticle of the hair is open when wet and warm, I guess like skin, and absorbs better/faster. I also melt it in the shower first. Having said that I also use it on my ends daily, and although it makes the ends look oily, it also makes them look thicker. On dirty hair I think the oil will sit in top of whatever is on there and will be less likely to penetrate the cuticle. Also, it will attract more dirt/dust and build up. Argan oil is a better bet if you don't want greasy look.

blaketob
July 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Yeh i used it when my hair was dripping wet and it looked oily the next day more than usual :/ i'll try it again and see what happens just to be sure it wasn't a weird wash day or something :p

earthnut
July 8th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I love coconut oil as a deep conditioning treatment. I prefer liquid oils, like olive oil, as a gloss our seal on dry(ish) hair.

It's a very penetrating oil, so it works best on porous or damaged hair. It doesn't work as well if it can't penetrate, like if you try to apply it on non-porous hair, or if you apply silicones or mineral oil before it.

Run your fingers up a strand of hair from the tip to the root. If the hair is smooth, your hair is not porous. If the hair is rough, your hair is porous.

Long_hair_bear
July 8th, 2012, 09:31 PM
I like to use it the night before I plan to wash my hair.

Me too! I coconut oil it then braid it the night before I wash my hair.

prettykitty
July 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Another pre-wash coconut oiler. It really makes the length soft and happy after washing :)
Recently I started to oil my length heavily before every wash, (I wash about twice a week) and the ends are smoother and feel less porous.