PDA

View Full Version : So back to hair dye for me

bunzfan
July 8th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I have been treating my hair very gently for over 2 years co washing wearing up all the time including at bed time and i can easily go without conditioner on my length and its not dry in fact some days its still to soft.

I was going to colour it anyway with box dye again to cover the greys and a thread on here about hair being in good condition being a bad thing for some as its to soft not much body this rang bells for me because its often too soft and its natural body is gone probably because i don't damage it with irons or colour it with chemical dye. Its virgin from roots to bsl the only slightly dry bits are the ends where it had been coloured previously.

So don't hate me i hate this to soft hair.

FrannyG
July 8th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Why would anyone hate you? We are a community with people who dye/don't dye, blow dry/don't blow dry, use cones/are non-cone, etc.

I dye my hair, as you may have read. I do recommend that you coat your hair with coconut oil prior to putting the dye on your hair.

The dye will still work perfectly, but I have found that it prevents too much peroxide/ammonia damage.

The difference in my hair since using coconut oil prior to colouring or touching up my roots has been significant.

The dye still gives me more volume, but my hair is not visually or palpably damaged. I don't have so much as a split end.

Good luck, and I hope you post photos! :blossom:

pink.sara
July 8th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Aww, I thought you were going to give the temporary dyes a go to brighten it up and cover the greys?

Not that I think box dye is evil, without it mines a slinky flat sheet that won't even stay in a pony so I feel ya.

As always post pics if you do! :)

bunzfan
July 8th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Why would anyone hate you? We are a community with people who dye/don't dye, blow dry/don't blow dry, use cones/are non-cone, etc.

I dye my hair, as you may have read. I do recommend that you coat your hair with coconut oil prior to putting the dye on your hair.

The dye will still work perfectly, but I have found that it prevents too much peroxide/ammonia damage.

The difference in my hair since using coconut oil prior to colouring or touching up my roots has been significant.

The dye still gives me more volume, but my hair is not visually or palpably damaged. I don't have so much as a split end.

Good luck, and I hope you post photos! :blossom:

Thanks Franny its nice to see you posting again. I will try the coconut oil thanks for the idea. It may look thick in my siggy but thats a day where i used plenty of gel to get my hair nice and wavy if i don't use gel at the moment it can feel flat.

Aww, I thought you were going to give the temporary dyes a go to brighten it up and cover the greys?

Not that I think box dye is evil, without it mines a slinky flat sheet that won't even stay in a pony so I feel ya.

As always post pics if you do! :)

I was till i heard its worse than applying henna and its a PITA:eek: thanks i'm glad i'm not the only one that has hair like that and you have really thick hair mine is a 3.5 pony but you have thicker hair i think.

I will post pics i'm still going for a auburn red going to do the skin test and strand test today.

Amethyste
July 8th, 2012, 06:26 AM
i chuckled when you said "dont hate me"... I am the fakiest person on here: hair dye, extensions and all...

Just enjoy your hair, thats what it is for and people over time seems to forget this. Many will become slaves to their hair and it's just not a fun prison to be held in...

Can't wait to see the result!!!

Toiréasa
July 8th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I fell your pain,I have been hennaing for a year now and have very fine thin hair my waves are almost gone and it so smooth,soft and flat on top can't stand to wear it down as it looks so blah.
I have been trying to figure out how to get some body on top with out heat but yet have to come up with any ideas.

Toiréasa
July 8th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Sorry double post

Pixie0763
July 8th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Hate you? I just had my hair professionally/permanentely relaxed yesterday. It's never felt this silky &/or smooth! I look forward to your pictures. :)

Mesmerise
July 8th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I think anything you do is fine as long as YOU like it!! I have stopped dyeing mine except with henna, but honestly, I'm not sure if it's gonna improve THAT much. To me the most damaging thing I was doing was flat ironing it. I saw a picture on my husband's computer of my hair BEFORE I owned my flat iron and it was sooooo much less frizzy, AND at the time I'd been dyeing it with box dyes. I never actually even found box dye that bad for my hair.

The only real damage I've ever had from colouring has been blonde foils, and I think that's partly because my hair seems quite resistant to giving up its colour (even though it's not THAT dark naturally), so the bleached hair would get quite damaged. Apart from that, my hair used to take a LOT of damage and be not too bad! (I think the only time I've ever had hair that actually breaks when running fingers through it was after I'd permed and straightened, and bleached and dyed, and I think permed again - probably had a few dyes in there, not just the one). At THAT point I had to cut it off lol.

So yeah, I am never gonna judge someone because they've decided to go back to dyeing with box colours ;). I'm happy with henna on my head for now though, and am hoping that avoiding chemicals will help my thin hair regain some thickness!

Alembic
July 8th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Aww, don't feel guilty for using dye if it's right for you! For some (like me) permanent dyes probably aren't a good idea for habitual use because of my starting texture. But my mother has hair that is stick straight and wouldn't stay in a ponytail without it. I'm trying to stick to semi-permanents these days (I have a few greys that don't look that great with my skin tone). I think if your hair becomes brittle or snaps easily that's when you know that dye might not be a good thing to continue. If your hair is resilient and you like more volume go for it! And you're doing something right because your hair is long and gleaming. ;)

Xi
July 8th, 2012, 07:00 AM
You should definitely do what makes you happy, bunzfan! Everyone finding her own path to the hair she wants is what the LHC is all about. :)

MonaMayfair
July 8th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Well I'm on the deposit only dyes at the moment as I'm growing out henna (blonde roots - though luckily slightly darker blonde than last time I saw so much of them - and lightish red length) and I'm using brown dyes.
I really want dark hair and I'm toying with the idea of permanent (or at least semi permanent with some peroxide in, as opposed to the ones called semis that have no peroxide/ammonia)
I'm not using indigo and I certainly don't want to go back to henna. I hate the sight of red hair at the moment!
I know what you mean about virgin hair being too soft, I hate that too. my hair in its natural state is so silky it's annoying. Henna did make it coarser and drier which I prefer.

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2012, 07:21 AM
I don't think it would be very sporting for anyone to hate you. I think you would make a nice red head. I can't wait until you post pictures.

Unofficial_Rose
July 8th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I fell your pain,I have been hennaing for a year now and have very fine thin hair my waves are almost gone and it so smooth,soft and flat on top can't stand to wear it down as it looks so blah.
I have been trying to figure out how to get some body on top with out heat but yet have to come up with any ideas.

That is exactly what mine was like with henna and indigo. The condition was amazing but it was so limp and heavy-looking I wore it up all the time.

I don't have the answer but I went back to chem dyes. OK, my hair is a bit dryer but it looks like there is twice as much of it and I can wear it down without it looking clumpy and lank.

OP, if it makes you feel better, I'm getting some highlights as soon as I can risk having to get some cut off due to indigo/bleach hazards.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Aww my little friend I could never possibly hate you for dying your hair!
Coconut oil as franny suggested and your doing your skin test before hand, I know you have problems with dyes in the past, so that's sensible.
I can't wait to see the results and photos pretty please!
Which brand did you go for in the end?
And I get you on having very soft hair, mines the same and slippery but I don't mind that too much now. Good luck!

Alembic
July 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Aww my little friend I could never possibly hate you for dying your hair!
Coconut oil as franny suggested and your doing your skin test before hand, I know you have problems with dyes in the past, so that's sensible.
I can't wait to see the results and photos pretty please!
Which brand did you go for in the end?
And I get you on having very soft hair, mines the same and slippery but I don't mind that too much now. Good luck!

I agree, coconut oil has worked really well for me in the past. Oh Jojo your hair is so sleek, that's my dream hair but alas my texture is thick and wavy and loves to tangle ;)

Silken
July 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hate you??? For dying your hair?! Well then... There's a significant bunch of people here who will be hated, too, lol!
I get my hair dyed in a salon because when it comes to hair, I have 2 left hands.
Not only that, I regularly do keratin treatments.
And with all the horrors I've read about what that supposedly does to hair, I'm happy to report that my hair does not have a single split, broken or dried end.
Granted, I never heat style, I only air dry, and I alternate CO washes with sulfate free shampooing, use coconut oil, leave in conditioners etc, and the only heat my hair gets is at the salon.
And other than these maddening layers and bangs I'm trying to grow out, my hair health is perfect.
My point is: do what you feel works for you, it's your hair.
No apologies, rock it, woman!!!

missmelaniem
July 8th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Your hair is on YOUR head.... you should be the one enjoying it! If it makes you happy to dye (or not dye) then thats what you need to do. :)

bunzfan
July 8th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks everyone i really do appreciate all the moral support . Its funny because i have gone from box dye monthly straightening daily a dry frizzy mess the lived on cones to when its first washed a slippery messy:p

I'm not touching the irons again i actually love my natural waves but as i posted months ago that i have tried everything so its a bit like it used to be, i have tried co washing just the roots, CWC, traditional shampoo and conditioner and its still so soft. Maybe i have been treating it so well it doesn't get damaged the only way i can get it to behave is to put some oil on it but if i rely on that it will get softer and softer.

Anyway i still want it red and i have quite a few greys so that another reason for doing it. I will post pics as you all asked i often think your all sick of seeing the back of my head lol.:rolleyes: the real reason i post a lot of pics is because i never had hair longer than shoulder length at just look how long it is now! so i am starting to step away from the camera:D

long&blonde
July 8th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Hate you? Heck No! I've been considering the same thing! I've been salon-ing it for white root touch ups the last couple of years. Just getting tired of fitting the apt. In, plus the dark ash blonde they insist on giving me, my roots are showing within 2 weeks. I loved the body box dyes gave me, and like you, they agreed with me. The very very lightest platinum blonde, still one step tho, colors gave me trouble. But nothing a couple days of drugstore deep conditioner could not cure. Looking forward to your pictures!

GlennaGirl
July 8th, 2012, 10:40 AM
How could we hate you??? Enough of us are interested in changing our hair color and do so -- whether by, say, henna, or by standard means. Some of us do both. :) Have fun with your hair, love your hair! It's yours, do what you need to in order to really love it and have fun with it.

Babyfine
July 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I color my hair(demipermanent color) every 3 months. As much as I admire the beautiful silvery hair here I"m just not ready for that yet. And henna sounds like a huge commitment that I'm not ready for yet, either. So far with this brand I haven't experienced damage(although my hair is just BSL).
Someday I will let the silvers come in but not now.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I agree, coconut oil has worked really well for me in the past. Oh Jojo your hair is so sleek, that's my dream hair but alas my texture is thick and wavy and loves to tangle ;)

Aww thank you so much, alas my hair is also wavy 2a/b and 4.4" in thickness, but it is very baby fine unfortunately id love thicker strands :( .I just straighten for my length photos. I can get it sleek by combing it periodically whilst drying it, works well apart from the odd kink, I love the straight sleek look

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
How could we hate you??? Enough of us are interested in changing our hair color and do so -- whether by, say, henna, or by standard means. Some of us do both. :) Have fun with your hair, love your hair! It's yours, do what you need to in order to really love it and have fun with it.

My thoughts exactly and I love to see photos of people's changing hair and lengths, so keep them coming bunzie!

pink.sara
July 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone i really do appreciate all the moral support . Its funny because i have gone from box dye monthly straightening daily a dry frizzy mess the lived on cones to when its first washed a slippery messy:p

I'm not touching the irons again i actually love my natural waves but as i posted months ago that i have tried everything so its a bit like it used to be, i have tried co washing just the roots, CWC, traditional shampoo and conditioner and its still so soft. Maybe i have been treating it so well it doesn't get damaged the only way i can get it to behave is to put some oil on it but if i rely on that it will get softer and softer.

Anyway i still want it red and i have quite a few greys so that another reason for doing it. I will post pics as you all asked i often think your all sick of seeing the back of my head lol.:rolleyes: the real reason i post a lot of pics is because i never had hair longer than shoulder length at just look how long it is now! so i am starting to step away from the camera:D

What's the best thing about the LHC? Pictures :D

So don't step away from the camera please! There's nothing more inspiring than seeing someone who has progressed and changed and has beautiful hair (which you do) it helps stave off the boredom while waiting for it to grow.

Winnie!
July 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Never feel bad about doing something that makes you happy :bluebiggr

kurlywurlygurl
July 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Hi there, I was reading through this thread and saw that you want to add body to your hair. I think you should try a sea salt spray throughout your hair, and see if that helps. If you want more volume on the crown area without heat I reccomend allowing your hair to dry naturally while piling it over the front of your face and drying it next to a fan, once your hair is dry and you move your hair over your head (out of your face) your crown area will have a lot more volume because it was dried in the opposite direction. i hope this helps.

catamonica
July 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Your hair is beautiful! The color is beautiful!

prettykitty
July 8th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Aww Bunz, we could never hate you! Can't wait to see your purty new hair :)

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Hi there, I was reading through this thread and saw that you want to add body to your hair. I think you should try a sea salt spray throughout your hair, and see if that helps. If you want more volume on the crown area without heat I reccomend allowing your hair to dry naturally while piling it over the front of your face and drying it next to a fan, once your hair is dry and you move your hair over your head (out of your face) your crown area will have a lot more volume because it was dried in the opposite direction. i hope this helps.

I would never advocate anybody adding salt to there hair unless they wanted. Very dry crunchy hair, salt draws moisture from the hair.

bunzfan
July 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM
So i decided to go ahead the only reason i used henna in the past was because i was worrying i was sensitive to box dyes but in the past i just get a itchy scalp but, that could be because i never shampooed after using these dyes so that's what i planned on doing as well as the skin tests and strand test.

***Drum roll please**

Before

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9058/beforecolour.jpg
By wavyone (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/wavyone) at 2012-07-10

After front of hair

Its gone really light here must be the greys.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8813/dscf00113.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/dscf00113.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The back

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3066/aftercolour2.jpg

I'm actually really please that there are no two tone bits at the back. It looks thicker to . I couldn't work out why my neck was really hurting until i put it up :lol: it must be thicker. Now its up my neck doesn't hurt.

missmelaniem
July 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
looks good! love it

jojo
July 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Looks very blended and shiny, it just looks light flash/ light difference in the photos which is why I think it looks lighter, from the back looks a total match to me. It's dyed perfectly over the remaining henna and looks really nice :)

bunzfan
July 10th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Looks very blended and shiny, it just looks light flash/ light difference in the photos which is why I think it looks lighter, from the back looks a total match to me. It's dyed perfectly over the remaining henna and looks really nice :)

Thanks jojo seriously though it feels much heavier than it has for ages. I agree its covered the two colours perfectly.

jojo
July 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yay! To thicker hair, the only time I notice mine is heavy is when it's wet, it's like having a sheeps fleece thrown over my head lol!
I have been waiting eagerly for your results, so happy you are now at peace with your hair.

Now we can both concentrate on getting our lengths longer, both at peace with our colour!

FrannyG
July 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
It looks beautiful, bunzfan. Like you and Jojo, I know how it feels to finally be at peace with one's colour, and it's an amazing feeling.

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I say go for it! :)

Amber_Maiden
July 10th, 2012, 02:14 PM
So i decided to go ahead the only reason i used henna in the past was because i was worrying i was sensitive to box dyes but in the past i just get a itchy scalp but, that could be because i never shampooed after using these dyes so that's what i planned on doing as well as the skin tests and strand test.

***Drum roll please**

Before

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9058/beforecolour.jpg

After front of hair

Its gone really light here must be the greys.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8813/dscf00113.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/dscf00113.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The back

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/3066/aftercolour2.jpg

I'm actually really please that there are no two tone bits at the back. It looks thicker to . I couldn't work out why my neck was really hurting until i put it up :lol: it must be thicker. Now its up my neck doesn't hurt.

You did it already! It looks awesome! :D

GlennaGirl
July 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Wow, how beautiful. That color is stunning.

jojo
July 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
It looks beautiful, bunzfan. Like you and Jojo, I know how it feels to finally be at peace with one's colour, and it's an amazing feeling.

It's the best feeling in the world and glennagirl too check her post, she's a blondette Yay! I'm so excited for her too, been following her hendigo removal, just lost the thread when I was gonna post!

4 cheers for us " at peace with our hair colour long hairs":cheese::cheese:
How I love a happy ending!!!

bunzfan
July 10th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Yay! To thicker hair, the only time I notice mine is heavy is when it's wet, it's like having a sheeps fleece thrown over my head lol!
I have been waiting eagerly for your results, so happy you are now at peace with your hair.

Now we can both concentrate on getting our lengths longer, both at peace with our colour!

Yes hopefully we can i probably won't do mine again until the grey re-growth gets bad so at least 2 months away. It probably won't need to be on so long as thats where the greys are.

Thank you kind Franny funnily enough now its all one colour it kind of looks longer.

You did it already! It looks awesome! :D

Yeah i did the test on Sunday and applied today, Thank you:D

Wow, how beautiful. That color is stunning.

Oh thank you:D

Shermie Girl
July 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM

Bunzfan, I could nevah hate on anyone for their personal hair choices. This is The Long Hair Community. Not The Natural Long Hair or Nothing Community. :) Your new colour looks fantastic and your hair looks full and shiny and so pretty. :cheese:

I am with FrannyG, there is something to be said for being at peace with one's colour. I fought against my natural and unnatural ;) leanings for a long time then it took me a long time to get to the point where I could be the bottle blonde I was born to be. Now that I am here, I am thrilled, dry hair and all! :D I salon it, have my roots done and, pending a successful strand test, am seriously considering highlights, too. :cheese:

Here's to loving your hair, natural or not. :toast: