PDA

View Full Version : Hair after being thinned with thinning shears

minxe
July 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I got my hair thinned with thinning shears a few months ago, and now that it's grown out it's gotten pretty ugly and it's prone to being tangled. Has this happened to anyone else? How would you suggest I fix it?

BlazingHeart
July 8th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Well, silicones may help reduce the tangles. Clarify first, though, as build-up may be part of what's causing your problem.

As far as how it looks, sadly the only thing I know of for it is to treat it extra gentle, let grow out and trim out the thinned area.

~Blaze

minxe
July 8th, 2012, 12:28 AM
It's only tangling at the ends, by the way :c I'm CWC-ing with organic shampoos and conditioners...

Jesabel
July 8th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Microtrimming may help to get rid of any damaged bits which can cause more tangles. Microtrimming will also help to thicken it up if that's what you want :)

minxe
July 8th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Thank you! Your hair is beautiful!

Jesabel
July 8th, 2012, 02:21 AM
No problem! and thank you :)

FrannyG
July 8th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Clarify, use a deep treatment, and perhaps trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch once in a while. Some people can go without any trims, but some of us really need the trims to keep the ends in shape. I trim every 4 months or so, and it really doesn't affect my growth progress much at all, but it keeps my ends neat and tangle-free.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Agree with franny, clarify and maybe a trim .

Tia2010
July 8th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Uugg..I hated how my hair was after thinning shears!

I'm actually still growing out that part ( she thinned the sides and did face framing layers :rolleyes:)

I agree with the micro-trimming suggestions... It helped as mine started growing out.

spidermom
July 8th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I only had thinning done once; what a mess!

Ingredients in organic conditioners build up, too; it isn't only cones and synthetic ingredients. If you haven't clarified in awhile, do so.

Yozhik
July 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM
From what I remember, I think thinning works like razors, right? If so, it cuts the hair cuticle at an angle, which exposes more of the inner cortex to the elements and can lead to more split ends and damage.

My advice would be to clarify and moisturize, and if the problem isn't one of buildup, get a small trim to get rid of those damaged ends. :flower:

Alembic
July 8th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I got my hair thinned with thinning shears a few months ago, and now that it's grown out it's gotten pretty ugly and it's prone to being tangled. Has this happened to anyone else? How would you suggest I fix it?

The last 4 times I went to a salon (and I never went often) they insisted that I 'needed' thinning. The last time I went to a salon the stylist actually was getting mad at how thick my hair was, she was ripping at it pretty hard with a brush and complaining that it wouldn't be like that if I maintained it by getting it thinned. That time I was just fed up and had it all chopped off. I'd never let anyone thin my hair again, to be honest. It's a dumb idea, when it grows you have all these mismatched ends pointing out all over the place, and it looks worse than it ever did. The logic behind 'maintaining' makes even less sense, since it is impossible to thin the exact same strands. All you end up with is hacked up multilength hair that still doesn't sit right and now you can't get it all in a ponytail.

What I did after having my hair thinned was use styling creams, like John Frieda's overnight thingie. I applied these while my hair was still damp. It helped a bit with taming those thinned ends. There wasn't much else I could do - but I know better now than to let anyone thin my hair again.

I'm sorry that you've experienced this too and I wish you luck and fast growing! :)

minxe
July 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM
From what I remember, I think thinning works like razors, right? If so, it cuts the hair cuticle at an angle, which exposes more of the inner cortex to the elements and can lead to more split ends and damage.

Thinning shears are like a pair of scissors and when you cut with them half of the hair you put into the scissors is cut off so you just have hair everywhere :(

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I clarified today and that made my roots a little better, did some S&D-ing, and I'm going to schedule a trim soon!

minxe
July 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I meant to say ends, not roots! :x I'm running on very little sleep, I'm sorry.

FrannyG
July 8th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Some people do thin hair with razors, but thinning shears, as minxe explains below, are not razors. They do indeed have scissor edges, but they have tines, like a comb on one of the blades, to do as she describes.

Thinning shears are like a pair of scissors and when you cut with them half of the hair you put into the scissors is cut off so you just have hair everywhere :(

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I clarified today and that made my roots a little better, did some S&D-ing, and I'm going to schedule a trim soon!

I meant to say ends, not roots! :x I'm running on very little sleep, I'm sorry.

I'm happy that your ends feel a little better, and I'll bet a small trim will really make a difference.

Gogobaby
July 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Hey... I'm sorry that happened. Only solution is to cut it off :( and treat with collagen and oil

FrannyG
July 9th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Hey... I'm sorry that happened. Only solution is to cut it off :( and treat with collagen and oil

I don't think things seem that drastic.