PDA

View Full Version : The "Traditional Washing" Thread!

patienceneeded
July 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Yep, you've got it! This is for the MANY LHC members who mainly just do the traditional shampoo then conditioner type of haircare. Cones or cone-free, sulfates or no sulfates, all that matters is that your washing routine is pretty much shampoo (diluted is ok!) and then condition. It's even okay if you oil your hair (I like coconut and argan oil for deep oilings) before or after washing. Stretching washes is ok too!

Anyone else out there?

For myself, I have been there and back again in terms of haircare. I've been here for 1.5 years and in that time I have done CO washing (several attempts), CWC, Shampoo bars, Oil Shampoo, cone-free and sulfate free...yada yada yada. After all that experimentation and time (and money:eek:) I have come to the realization that my hair simply likes plain old shampoo and conditioner. I usually dilute my shampoo, but will go "full strength" on occasion. Sometimes I use cones, sometimes I don't. My hair doesn't seem bothered either way, but cones make it behave a little better.

So, lets have our own thread, shall we? :D

(Mods, I apologize if there is already a thread for this. I searched the forum and did not see one. Feel free to delete or merge this thread if an older one is still active)

Madora
July 7th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Yes, I've been a traditionalist for many years. I dilute both shampoo and conditioner and wash per the GM method..i.e. shampoo the length first, then shampoo the scalp and scalp hair.

I've been using the GM Pink shampoo since 1982. Great stuff!

Zhennni(:
July 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I use diluted shampoo, my fav is nexxus, but usually any works. I like coney condish like pantene:)

Hollyfire3
July 7th, 2012, 09:28 PM
This is me! I am concerned with what shampoo and conditioner I use, I never really want to try any other washing method, rather just experiment with different products for washing.

tweetylonghair
July 7th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Count me in yes I am a traditionalist.. I shampoo and cond.. I switch my brands between 3. My hair prefers cones and can only stand no SLS so long before its like straw..good clarifier though.. and I oil my ends only when I remember...and my washing are anywhere from everyday to 3 or 4 days apart.

IvanaGil
July 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm a traditionalist! My poo and conditioner are constantly changing though. I'm currently using a sulfate/cone free lavender shampoo and then herbal essences' conditioner. I'm loving the conditioner because it leaves my hair super soft, but the shampoo is just "meh."
Oh, and I wash everyday to every other day, depending on whether I go out or not.

jeanniet
July 7th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I don't think it's uncommon here at all. There are quite a few very long-term members here with very, very long hair who use shampoo and conditioner regularly. It's really not unusual--even shampoos with SLS aren't unusual.

I use shampoo and conditioner, but I also do the occasional CO.

holothuroidea
July 7th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I've tried a lot of different washing methods, and this is what works best for me right now.

In the winter CWC worked really nice, especially if I oiled it a little the night before. That's way too heavy on the conditioner for my hair since spring came and there's more moisture in the air.

Having very fine hair that's too short to put up somewhat limits my options. I've now been able to stretch my washes to every other day but if I'm going out I wash it anyway because it just looks so lifeless and stringy without being freshly washed.

I hope I'll be able to do less washing when it is long enough to put up.

Lizbot
July 7th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Hahah. Define regularly.

The season and how my scalp/ends are doing dictate how I treat my hair. I've been using Kiehl's Olive Fruit collection lately though. It makes my scalp REALLY happy, and as for my ends, they love the deep conditioning treatment.

I'll sometimes dress the ends up a bit further with some argan oil or Fekkai olive oil fun.

Suguru
July 7th, 2012, 10:37 PM
This is me! Cones, SLS, the whole shebang. People ask me what shampoo and conditioner I use and I honestly answer, "whatever's on special". I found some generic brand conditioner and shampoo that was a dollar a bottle last year and bought six of each! Doesn't seem to have bothered my hair so far, although I only wash once a week - "traditional" SC washing might be damaging if you do it every day.

I agree with jeanniet - this is actually one of the more common washing methods, even on LHC.

Crybb
July 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Im a newbie so have not tried much. Tried cwc but not impressed. Now I wash once a week, oiling with sweet almond oil the night before. comb well over the sink to get rid of loose hairs because my shower drain is really fussy. Shampoo the scalp with garner fructis. Rinse, shampoo again all the way to the ends. Pantene condish. Blot dry. Clean the drain. Lightly oil the ends. I used to use freeda frizz-ezemserum. Heavy cones.... Anyone else still using that?

nowheregirl
July 8th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Count me in, I use both cone shampoo(not diluted) and conditioner...only I put a tiny drop of olive oil on my length in between shampoo and conditioner :)

Loreley
July 8th, 2012, 01:17 AM
I'm a traditionalist too. Mostly I use sulphate-free shampoo (SLES at every 4th-5th wash) and coney conditioner. Between washes I use coconut oil and tons of coney serums and detangler sprays. This is the best for my hair now. I was cone-free for about 2 years but it just stopped working somehow, my hair felt dry all the time and it was tangly.

Bene
July 8th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Traditional washers aren't all that rare or elusive on this site :shrug: Where'd you get that idea?

Is this one of those things like the non-existant cone debate?

WaitingSoLong
July 8th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Traditional washers aren't all that rare or elusive on this site :shrug: Where'd you get that idea?

Is this one of those things like the non-existant cone debate?

LOL!

I am a traditional washer. I tried CO. Just not possible with the amount of cones I use. I tried CWC. Bad...bad...

I dilute both my S&C but mostly because I am CHEAP and always trying to stretch my products. I dilute my mouthwash, dishsoap, handsoap....

I use Joico Shampoo to gently rid my hair of cones at each wash. I wash twice a week. I use Pantene Ice Shine conditioner and really cannot use anything else. I think I have tried 100 products at least.

I also use a very diluted conditioner (not sure if it has cones...I don't think so...) as a leave-in/detangler/smoother AND I have a serum...GF sleek and shine...that I use for smoothing braids and buns (it smells heavenly). I use it as "hairspray" or use the leave-in as "hairspray" as I don't use traditional hairspray at all.

I tried to stretch my washes more than twice a week and I can usually make it about 4 or 5 days but I am a gal that thrives on routine so I get a wash every Wednesday and Saturday and those special occasions where I get actual dirt or yuck in my hair (which is rare).

I wonder if there is a poll about methods....I would be traditional washing turns out to be majority here on TLHC.

Bene
July 8th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I wonder if there is a poll about methods....I would be traditional washing turns out to be majority here on TLHC.

I think so too. I see tons of threads where people discuss their shampoo and conditioner.

I was a traditional washer, but I tried out shampoo bars because they just seemed nifty and I found myself really liking the whole process of using a shampoo bar, so I switched permanently. My hair isn't better or worse for it, I just like to pamper myself, it's like a trip to the spa in my shower.

Phalaenopsis
July 8th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I'm a traditional washer :) I don't dilute, but I use sulfatefree shampoos, because my scalp doesn't like to be washed often with sulfates. And I'm conefree because I don't like how my hair feels with it. Normally I would oil my hair the night before, but I sometimes forget. I do CWC sometimes, but only to use up conditioners I don't really like... Now my hair is drier, oiling has become more important and I occasionally use a leave-in.

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Me too weekly washing with mane n tail followed by their conditioner. I do a vinegar rinse and oil then monistat.

Amethyste
July 8th, 2012, 08:11 AM
My hair likes the "usual route" as well. After wasting so much money on poo bars and all the other expensive stuff, my hair sort of told me that it like to be easy going. As long as I dont beat it with heat styling, it usually agrees :)

Good hair :)

winship2
July 8th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Me too. I think SLS irritates my scalp, so I use Nature's Gate or Acure S&C. My scalp is oily and though I wish I could, it's just not worth it to me to stretch washes. Fortunately I have healthy, happy hair that's growing away with no special treatment. I do really like an egg shampoo from time to time, and a cider vinegar rinse, and to use a few drops of argan oil at night. I've been so busy lately I've been neglecting these extras though!

Amethyste
July 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM
oops... double post!

goldloli
July 8th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah I'm in too.

CO = hair fall and limp
wen = greasy roots, dry ends
oils as conditioner = dry crunch ends not matter how much i clarify
sls free poo = beautiful at first then itchy scalp, eventually became drying and looked dull even with clarifying

Now i tend to use less shampoo, say one bottle to 2 bottles of conditioner. I also rotate sls and cone free conditoner with sls free poo and a coney conditioner. I got a bit too organised with it lol, so now cones or sls only touch my hair every 4 days. Oh and cwc or pre treatments are da bomb xx

patienceneeded
July 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I guess I got the idea that traditional washing was rare, as there was no thread for it. :o I have seen hundreds of discussions about CO washing, CWC, Water Only, Poo Bars, NW/SO, but have not seen anything about the users who just shampoo and condition as normal. So, I assumed it was more rare. :shrug:

I do stretch my washes, I wash every 2nd day. I can't go more than 2 days without washing (I have tried) which is why I usually use diluted shampoo to help keep the length from drying out while cleansing my oily scalp. I plan on trying scalp-only washing when my hair gets long enough to be kept out of the way and switching to a full-wash weekly, scalp washes in between.

morrigan*
July 8th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I do that :D
I sometimes oil it a little before and i occasionally do catnip treatment :D

Bene
July 8th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I guess I got the idea that traditional washing was rare, as there was no thread for it. I have seen hundreds of discussions about CO washing, CWC, Water Only, Poo Bars, NW/SO, but have not seen anything about the users who just shampoo and condition as normal. So, I assumed it was more rare.

Think of it this way. Traditional washing is a skill that most people come here already having. Aside from discussing products and technique, there's really not much to be said on the subject. Doesn't mean these people aren't around, just means that unless something new and revolutionary comes up in the world of shampoo and conditioner, they're going to be relatively quiet on the subject. There are lots of things there are no threads about, doesn't mean those people aren't present.

The alternatives such as CO or CWC or whatever (I never keep track), these things are new to most people. They come in not knowing they exist, let alone having any tangible experience. They NEED to talk about it because it's a whole new world, there are questions to ask, and re-ask and dissect and start threads with questions that have been answered over and over again. Not to mention how excited they are to be trying something new. They can't help themselves. It's the nature of the beast and for the most part, it's harmless.

My one concern is that this thread here, with this title, will lead other new people to assume that traditional washing is somehow bad, or frowned upon, or criticized. Next thing you know, there are 50 threads started with titles "I used shampoo and conditioner, don't hate me!" or "Forgive me for I have sinned, I used shampoo and conditioner" or "Can I keep posting on this site if I used shampoo and conditioner?" "I broke an LHC rule and used shampoo and conditioner" and then the next round of noobs will see those, get the wrong idea and start another 50 threads like it. And then there will be tourists who poke in and get the idea that shampoo and conditioner are bad in some way and that they'll be punished for talking about it.

And then there will be the threads from the, oh so cleverly rebellious types who will declare "I used shampoo and conditioner and I don't care who knows it!" And the older folks who have some REAL information to share, stop visiting the mane forum, and what's left is a bunch of noobs misinforming each other.

You see where I'm going with this? It snowballs into absurdity.

I've seen it with the cone issue. There is no cone issue or cone debate aside from the "Who told you cones were evil?" type of thing. I'm sure tomorrow there will be a thread titled "I used cones, can I still play with you guys?" When really, no one ever says cones are evil.

I'm not not doing this to criticize you. It's an honest mistake. I'm doing this so that some noob out there will read and think about doing some reading and getting info, and maybe the people who REALLY know what they're talking about will drop by this area and give good solid advice.

patienceneeded
July 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
There. I changed the title of the thread AND changed the into statement. Does that fix what some people felt might be misunderstood/misconceived by readers and noobs? IMO, anything found on this site can have the tendency to snowball into absurdity. I have watched it happen many times and have ignored it.

My only hope with this thread was to have a place for those who use traditional washing to have a place to discuss their spin on traditional washing and what products they use for their washing. It's just as vaild as a thread for CO and CWC and all the other washing forms, even if people are experienced in washing their hair the traditional way. So, this thread is intended to be a place for traditional washing LHC members to meet and discuss how they tweak traditional washing to fit the needs of their hair. Even amongst traditional washers, I would bet that there is a lot of variation in how the hair is washed, what is used, method, etc.

There is NO "wrong way" to wash and care for your hair. Whatever method you use to care for your hair, as long as it makes you and your hair happy, that is perfectly fine. The idea that there is only one right way to care for your hair is shortsighted. Every single person is different and every single person will need to find there own way to care for their hair. This method is just as valid as all the others. There is nothing wrong with plain-old shampoo and conditioner. There is nothing wrong with cones. Or no-cones. Conditioner only. CWC. Whatever. There is only opinions and how each person feels their hair reacts to different washing methods. Happy hair washing, however you choose to do it. Done.

goldloli
July 8th, 2012, 11:15 AM
My one concern is that this thread here, with this title, will lead other new people to assume that traditional washing is somehow bad, or frowned upon, or criticized... get the idea that shampoo and conditioner are bad in some way and that they'll be punished for talking about it.
I feel this way but rather because traditional methods aren't really encouraged or discussed anywhere. People are very quick in real life and on other hair forums to tell me to co wash and how sls is bad etc etc. It has given me the impression that among haircare enthusiasts that it is frowned upon and that they think i have no clue what i'm doing because i still use them.

holothuroidea
July 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
My biggest hurdle with hair washing was to accomplish the task without getting tangles.

I've found that washing with my head down (looking at the floor) and concentrating only on getting shampoo on the scalp is really helpful. Then I flip the hair back over AFTER there is conditioner in it.

I also shampoo my hair when it's dry by diluting the shampoo in a squeeze bottle and shaking it up to make a foam. It cleans better with less shampoo, and it also requires less rinsing and I think the less time my hair is under hot water the better. This is a trick I learned from spot-cleaning upholstery. :laugh:

Gogobaby
July 8th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hey girls

Just watched Andy Murray do his best at Wimbledon... Bit alas it wasn't meant to be. On that note, I turn, in my sadness to LHC.

I do traditional method... Weds and Saturdays only unless there's been a BBQ to attend, or a festival. I use Loreal Royal Jelly Shampoo and Con, but the hair loves the Con most of all fsr. It is super silky afterward.

Sorry for being thick, I'm a bit new... But can someone explain what cones are.? In fact, can someone pls explain all of the terms to do with chemicals in sham and cons?

I oil my ends rigorously with coco oil warmed up. Haven't tried sweet almond oil yet. Wet or dry... Hair prefers the oil when wet, especially vatika darbur, but I can't do that all the time. I keep my hair up every day at work, let down in the evening when it starts to hurt. I sometimes (once a month) step out of the shower after a shampoo and not having washed out the con... And slather it with non-colour henna. Wrap it in a warm towel (that I microwaved) then sleep like that, wash it out the next day. This I find makes for happy hair, but an exhausted scalp.

teela1978
July 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I use sulfate shampoo and coney conditioner generally every other day, sometimes daily depending on what I've been doing. Anything other than sulfates seems to leave me with scalp pimples!!!

Tia2010
July 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I switch between traditional washing and CO washes. So far this works best for me :) (ETA: I do a traditional wash then do CO for two washes then back to traditional and repeat)

I usually dilute my shampoo but the conditioner I use full strength...and I do my final rinse with distilled water.

Babyfine
July 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I shampoo 2-3 times a week alternating between Nioxin step 3 and a sulfate free shampoo. I find I can stretch washes 3 days with the Nioxin and 2 days with the sulfate free.
With my fine, thin, limp hair and oily scalp both CO and exclusively sulfate free were fails for me.

patienceneeded
July 8th, 2012, 12:04 PM
My biggest hurdle with hair washing was to accomplish the task without getting tangles.

I've found that washing with my head down (looking at the floor) and concentrating only on getting shampoo on the scalp is really helpful. Then I flip the hair back over AFTER there is conditioner in it.

I also shampoo my hair when it's dry by diluting the shampoo in a squeeze bottle and shaking it up to make a foam. It cleans better with less shampoo, and it also requires less rinsing and I think the less time my hair is under hot water the better. This is a trick I learned from spot-cleaning upholstery. :laugh:

Great idea! I'll have to try this on my next wash! I try to wash with cool water, or at least do all the rinsing on cool. It's easy enough in the summer, but during the winter...brr!

Yozhik
July 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I use shampoo (SLS) and conditioner (coney) and wash twice a week. :)
Now that it's disgustingly hot in the District, I've taken to washing my hair a bit more often, depending on how intense my workouts are.

I tried out shampoo bars and CO, but CO didn't work, and I like shampoo bars, but just never bought more once I ran out. I do oil, although not as often as I should, probably.

Now that I'm not looking to gain any extra length, I'm not as worried about babying my hair, because if I don't like the condition of my ends, I can just cut them off. :)

The main way my routine has changed pre and post LHC is in my washing technique -- I rub shampoo in over my scalp with the balls of my fingers and let the suds run down the length. Then I gently squeeze out excess water from my hair and condition the length. I also am gentler with detangling and don't roughly rub my towel over my head. Other than that, my routine has pretty much stayed the same. :)

californiagirl
July 8th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I rotate between traditional washes and CWC. It all depends on how I feel; if I have just been swimming or been at a BBQ, I will go the traditional route to make sure my hair gets extra clean.

The products I use also depend on how I feel or what I want my hair does; I go with cones if I want a straighter look, but if I want to play up my waves, I go SLS free and no cones.

I have given up putting too much thought into everything, and I think this has simplified my routine and made me much happier with my hair.

teela1978
July 9th, 2012, 12:38 AM

Interesting... I think flipping in my hair would tangle the heck out of it! For me, I find that moving it as little as possible is best. I detangle my hair while dry, wet under the shower, gently shampoo the scalp, rinse (my theory is that the suds going down will wash the length), condition from ears down and put up, do the rest of my shower stuff, take hair down and comb conditioner through, then rinse out the conditioner.

If I manipulate it too much in the shower it tangles, "putting it up" in the shower is just a quick bun with a hair tie... I didn't need to do that till somewhere between bsl and waist length.

Ligeia_13
July 9th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Well, hello! After trying every washing method under the sun when I first joined, I settled back into my old routine of shampoo and conditioner :D Only these days it gets washed once a week.

Interesting... I think flipping in my hair would tangle the heck out of it! For me, I find that moving it as little as possible is best.

Me too! And I know from experience cause I used to wash the back and underneath parts by flipping my head over. Since I stopped, I've had much much less tangling.

holothuroidea
July 9th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Interesting... I think flipping in my hair would tangle the heck out of it! For me, I find that moving it as little as possible is best. I detangle my hair while dry, wet under the shower, gently shampoo the scalp, rinse (my theory is that the suds going down will wash the length), condition from ears down and put up, do the rest of my shower stuff, take hair down and comb conditioner through, then rinse out the conditioner.

If I manipulate it too much in the shower it tangles, "putting it up" in the shower is just a quick bun with a hair tie... I didn't need to do that till somewhere between bsl and waist length.

As long as I do it while the conditioner is still in my hair there are no tangles. And I run my fingers through it to redirect the hair when I flip my head up, if that makes sense.

Maybe it's because of the length that my hair is at, but I can't shampoo my scalp with my head up without getting tangles.

starlamelissa
July 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I love shampoo! Big foamy sudsy wonderful shampoo. I used to use baby shampoo for the longest time, but in the last trimester of my pregnancy, and currently, my scalp enjoys a good sulphatey shampoo. I have used suave daily clairfying, loved that, finished it up and bough pantene aqualight, and I super duper love that.

I condition after the pool/if I have washed more than normal (3 times a week being normal). I use leave in condish always, and a drop of baby oil on my ends, always.

SoulOfTheSea
July 9th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I also use traditional S&C, but like many, I rotate it with a CO every once in a while if I feel like my hair is too dry to wash (like after swimming for example, especially in the summer).

I just can't stand how my scalp feels if I don't use shampoo for too long, I get flaky and itchy and bleh, haha. Shampoo rules!

XcaliburGirl
July 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I use shampoo, rinse, then conditioner, and rinse. I tried CWC and it's too much work, CO gives me flaky scalp, shampoo bars were also too much work and made my head smell like vinegar (OK, to be fair, that was the ACV rinse not the bars themselves).

I try not to apply the shampoo directly to my hair except that it kind of gets on it when I wash my scalp. I let the suds run down my hair.

I use sulfate-free, silicone-free shampoo and conditioner, but that's more for my scalp than hair. I don't usually put anything on my hair after washing (every day).

As long as I do it while the conditioner is still in my hair there are no tangles. And I run my fingers through it to redirect the hair when I flip my head up, if that makes sense.

Maybe it's because of the length that my hair is at, but I can't shampoo my scalp with my head up without getting tangles.
You might be right that it works well with this particular length stage (shoulder). I flip my head completely upside-down to shampoo the top of my head. It's so much easier to wash my scalp that way. I then flip it back to do the back/underside of my head while looking up. Then I rinse and finger comb gently while the water is running through it (my regular shampoo is fairly moisturizing so I can do this). Finally, I apply conditioner and wash my body, then rinse.

spirals
July 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM
When I read "traditional" I thought of shampoo bars because detergents seem to be a reletively new idea in the history of the world. Anyway, I use cheap shampoo/conditioner due to a strict budget. I do try to look for ammonium lauryl sulfate rather than sodium laureth sulfate (more drying). I shampoo the scalp area and let it run down the lengths. Then I let the cond sit for a few mins while I wash my face, etc., before rinsing upside-down. I pull out all the loose hair, which is a lot because I don't brush usually. I scrunch in a bit more conditioner and styling product while it's soaking-wet, wrap it up in a microfiber towel, and finish the shower. I'm between BSL & MBL. If I were longer than hip this would be difficult. I do it because I wear it down and like crown volume.

patienceneeded
July 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Have any of you tried the new line of shampoo and conditioner, Clear?

http://www.clearhaircare.com/

I am intrigued by it and am thinking of buying it when my current stuff runs low. I'm currently trying to use a backlog of stuff from when I was COing. On a plus side, VO5 works really well as a shaving cream on my legs!

PrincessIdril
July 9th, 2012, 01:14 PM
There is NO "wrong way" to wash and care for your hair. Whatever method you use to care for your hair, as long as it makes you and your hair happy, that is perfectly fine. The idea that there is only one right way to care for your hair is shortsighted. Every single person is different and every single person will need to find there own way to care for their hair. This method is just as valid as all the others. There is nothing wrong with plain-old shampoo and conditioner. There is nothing wrong with cones. Or no-cones. Conditioner only. CWC. Whatever. There is only opinions and how each person feels their hair reacts to different washing methods. Happy hair washing, however you choose to do it. Done.

I agree with you 100%. It drives me mad every time I see a discussion on brushes and there is always at least one person stating that curlies/wavies should never brush their hair. Same with the amount of people who claim that curlies should only CO wash.
Sometimes I feel that there is too much of a "one size fits all" approach on this forum, which just isn't true. And I say this as a curlie who washes the traditional way AND brushes.

XcaliburGirl
July 9th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Have any of you tried the new line of shampoo and conditioner, Clear?

http://www.clearhaircare.com/

I am intrigued by it and am thinking of buying it when my current stuff runs low. I'm currently trying to use a backlog of stuff from when I was COing. On a plus side, VO5 works really well as a shaving cream on my legs!
I've seen the commercials. I think it's kind of funny they act like it's a big discovery that hair grows out of ones scalp. The "Feed Scalp" part seems to be some vitamins and various oils. However, it has been on my radar. I've been waiting for someone on here to review it.

It kind of bothers me that the dandruff shampoo is specifically labelled "for men". Women don't have dandruff? :rolleyes: That's news to me.

I switched to a new shampoo/conditioner over a week ago. I love it!! www.roksis.com (http://www.roksis.com) Anyone else try this? It is safe for color/keratin treated hair. It also doesn't have any harsh chemicals or sulfates. I don't even use any leave-in gloss anymore. I'm saving money already :) LOL :) I shampoo/condition everyday. This brand has made my scalp healthier. Plus no more tangles!!!
I haven't heard of this brand before and I can't find any reviews online. Is it new?
Just a suggestion, if you are sincerely here to learn and participate (not just advertise), you should avoid posting the exact same text in multiple threads because it can look a lot like spamming.

lapushka
July 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I probably belong here too. Plain sl(e)s shampoo, preferably the harsher ones, and then conditioner (applied twice). It's kind of a reverted CWC, but anyway, I think of it as being traditional. Whether you use your conditioner twice after washing or a deep conditioning masque of some sorts is about the same, I guess.

racrane
July 9th, 2012, 02:34 PM
This is me, too. It works fine and my hair looks best with it so I'm sticking to it. I use whatever's cheapest considering I"m broke most of the time.

caadam
July 9th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I agree with you 100%. It drives me mad every time I see a discussion on brushes and there is always at least one person stating that curlies/wavies should never brush their hair. Same with the amount of people who claim that curlies should only CO wash.
Sometimes I feel that there is too much of a "one size fits all" approach on this forum, which just isn't true. And I say this as a curlie who washes the traditional way AND brushes.

I think the reason why people do that (suggest curlies/wavies comb instead of brush, or CO wash instead of S&C) is because those said methods tend to work more often than any others for those hair types. I don't think it's so much people trying to generalize as it is people trying to offer the most common solutions to taking care of those kinds of hair types. In that case, I think it's perfectly understandable to do that, and it usually works out that way. But sometimes it doesn't.

I've seen some curlies and wavies around here who prefer other methods other than the usual ones that are standard for their kind of hair, and they seem to be happy with it. That's fine with me, but I will always recommend any with that hair type who is just starting out/might be having issues with their current routine to try out combing and CO washing. I am not generalizing, but only leaning on what seems to be a #1 solution for their hair types. However, if those solutions don't work, then they don't; if they don't offer the result those people are looking for, then that's all right. I got no hard feelings about it.

As for me, I CO wash, but I appreciate a good clarifying every once in a while. So I suppose I'm CO 85% of the time, and S&C 15% of the time. lol It's what works for my hair. :)

TheLuckyLurker
July 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Me! I was starting to feel like an outcast, what with all my sulfates and cones, lol!

Tia2010
July 9th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I've seen the commercials. I think it's kind of funny they act like it's a big discovery that hair grows out of ones scalp. The "Feed Scalp" part seems to be some vitamins and various oils. However, it has been on my radar. I've been waiting for someone on here to review it.

Well a small review.. I tried it for a few washes. It made my hair really soft and shiny but I did get slightly itchy scalp..but I think thats just something I get with Some SLS products now. But overall it was a nice shampoo and conditioner...the smell is too perfumy for me. Not bad, just a bit much for me :)

Sothere you have my little review :D

XcaliburGirl
July 9th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Well a small review.. I tried it for a few washes. It made my hair really soft and shiny but I did get slightly itchy scalp..but I think thats just something I get with Some SLS products now. But overall it was a nice shampoo and conditioner...the smell is too perfumy for me. Not bad, just a bit much for me :)

Sothere you have my little review :D
Great, thanks! :)
Though, I looked up the ingredients and it has 'cones, so I probably won't risk it.

patienceneeded
July 13th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I did end up buying the Clear "Total Care" shampoo and conditioner. It is rather heavy on the perfume, I'm hoping it tones down once dry. The shampoo was very thick and rich feeling, which liked, the conditioner was medium in texture (not runny, not thick). My hair combed very easily out of the shower and it currently air drying. I'll post back with continued results after it's dry. So far, I like it.

Mayflower
July 13th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'm a traditional washer. I switched to sulfate-free shampoo fairly recently after a lifelong usage of SL(E)S-shampoos. My hair is way less dry now and my scalp isn't itchy anymore. I use conditioner too since a few months (made it to waist without using conditioner :p), the banana one from The Bodyshop. I think it reduces the amount of breakage I get.

I'm not interested in trying CO because I don't feel the need to change anything, plus I don't actually like supersleek hair. I want a little bit of poof and volume! I might try CWC some day but my hair doesn't tangle badly, isn't that dry and barely has split ends, so I think I'll just stay a traditional washer for now!

kurlywurlygurl
July 13th, 2012, 02:41 PM
You sound a lot like me I've done co-washing, baking soda, shampoo bars, sulfate-free, cone- free, sulfates, cones, natural, organic, the works! I switch it up all the time, and to be honest I don't know how my hair feels, I used to have oily hair, then dry hair, and now I think I have normal hair. I wash my hair once a week and the night before I wash it I deep condition, and occasionally I will just go traditional. However if I am sweaty, swimming or for some reason I just have to wash it I co-wash the second day and do the traditional method the first day.:D

Nae
July 13th, 2012, 02:50 PM
I have been using normal old shampoo and conditioner for a while now. Unfortunately I have a TON of shampoo bars hanging out in my closet. I love them too but they take a little more work to get right than the S&C does. I think I had better use them up before they get way too old.

But yeah........shampoo and conditioner works great for me. I stay away from cones because they make my hair too slippy for my hair toys but other than that I don't do anything really special.

NoRush
July 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'm a "traditional" washer too :D CWC works good for me as well but I rarely bother at this point, also CO hasn't worked so far, so I go back to my faithful fool proof method

I use very diluted shampoo (no cones or parabens) and I dilute my conditioner a bit too, the one I use just seems to work better like that than straight from the bottle :shrug: I use the Garnier Utra Doux Biodegradable Almond and Lotus flower S&C (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it's available in the US or at least it's marketed with another name).

I experimented with this combo because it's the only cone free, affordable one I could find and my hair loves me for it, cones never gave me good results for long, but that's just my hair.

I do understand where some people may come from with the whole "cones are evil" thing, I can't speak for everywhere else but here in Italy, among the (ever expanding) "organic" crowd, cones (and a whole bunch other cosmetic ingredients as well) are demonized in all sorts of ways because they're "polluting" for the waters and whatnot, so I think that with the massive amount of info, the message comes through in pieces and is pasted together hastily.

LaFlor
July 13th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm back to regular shampoo and condition! I've tried experimenting, but my hair is happiest this way :D