PDA

View Full Version : Should I call this waist or hip?

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 08:49 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6tiyq6LYE1rxty4io1_1280.jpg

Would you call this length waist or hip? I feel like I'm probably going to maintain quite a bit at this length to thicken up my hem. It's so damaged from all of the flat ironing I did until early June.

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that the image is so huge!

cheetahfast
July 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Is your hair wet in the picture??
It's past waist for sure, I'd say hip.

Silken
July 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I'd say waist. I would keep trimming at waist length until the hem is nice and thinck, and then grow it further. I'm envious: I have a good 4 inches to go before I reach this!!

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Is your hair wet in the picture??
It's past waist for sure, I'd say hip.Nope, it's all dry. But my ends are just terrible.

SerinaDaith
July 7th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Past waist for sure!

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I'd say waist. I would keep trimming at waist length until the hem is nice and thinck, and then grow it further. I'm envious: I have a good 4 inches to go before I reach this!!I hate my hair and love it at the same time. It's finally long enough to get all of the comments about it being long. People tell my it looks very healthy. And really, it does appear to be very healthy despite the hem being very thin. Blegh.

But I just bought a BBB and I'm now getting into the habit of only using a wide tooth comb to detangle. Plus I'm trying to get used to wearing a sleep cap when I sleep and I've decided to quit dying and heat styling cold turkey! I'm a month in so far.

cheetahfast
July 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Nope, it's all dry. But my ends are just terrible.

Did they disintegrate from the ironing at all?
Or does it just feel like it thinned out from it?

(I used to straighten 4x a week while growing my hair out [before LHC], my siggy has straight hair, but mine is naturally super curly).

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Did they disintegrate from the ironing at all?
Or does it just feel like it thinned out from it?

(I used to straighten 4x a week while growing my hair out [before LHC], my siggy has straight hair, but mine is naturally super curly).
I'm not exactly sure, honestly. My hair doesn't seem to have a very huge problem with splits. I find them here and there, but they don't seem really MAJOR...
I really do feel that the ironing is the reason, though. I used to have this length of hair before I started frying my hair with dye and straightening and it looked MUCH better.

It was also pre-layer state as well, though. To give some perspective, almost half my length is at shoulder because I thought it would be a lovely idea to get layers that short... ugh not.

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I would also like the add that I've been inspecting the hairs on my brush and so far all of them that have come out have the little white bulb attached. So I don't think there's much breakage.

patienceneeded
July 7th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Somewhere in-between waist and hip? "Can I call this hip" :wink: If you don't like your ends, this would be a perfect place to maintain for a while and thicken up the hemline. Or, just keep growing! Really, it's your choice. Either way, you're at a great length.

cheetahfast
July 7th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I'm not exactly sure, honestly. My hair doesn't seem to have a very huge problem with splits. I find them here and there, but they don't seem really MAJOR...
I really do feel that the ironing is the reason, though. I used to have this length of hair before I started frying my hair with dye and straightening and it looked MUCH better.

It was also pre-layer state as well, though. To give some perspective, almost half my length is at shoulder because I thought it would be a lovely idea to get layers that short... ugh not.

I would also like the add that I've been inspecting the hairs on my brush and so far all of them that have come out have the little white bulb attached. So I don't think there's much breakage.

To me it sounds like maintaining (not cutting) is a good idea.
Your hair probably just needs some babying :).
I did a large cut because of straightening, but my hair was in a very bad state.

Bunnysaur
July 7th, 2012, 09:07 PM
I would call it hip, but then chop back up to waist to thicken up the hemline :(

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 09:07 PM
To me it sounds like maintaining (not cutting) is a good idea.
Your hair probably just needs some babying :).
I did a large cut because of straightening, but my hair was in a very bad state.

Maintaining shall be my plan right now then. :)

WaitingSoLong
July 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I think it is just before hip somwhere in the abyss. I would also cut back to waist. But you do whatever makes you happy!

Allychan
July 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Definately looks like hip to me too, and definately straightener damage. I have the same ends as you. I have no split ends either just the broken off bits from the straightener. Like you I am growing mine long and then maintaining.

maborosi
July 7th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Definitely brushing hip. Maintaining a thicker hemline at waist might be a really good idea. ^^

~maborosi~

evieisocoolike
July 7th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I think it's hip! I had a question about your measurement on your avatar. It says 26, how did you measure it? It may be just me but I though 26 was generally APL-MBL. I could be totally wrong though!

lmfbs
July 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM
If it were me, I'd cut back 2 inches then maintain there until your hem thickens. Beautiful hair - definitely past waist!

umbrellabones
July 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
definitely past waist, but im not sure its quite hip.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'd call it past waist and nearly hip. I'd cut back to waist to give it a nice full hemline but that's just me!

goldloli
July 8th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Heyyy rufflebutt, I had the exact same thing going on last year, layers from shoulder down and huge heat thinned ends. I made the mistake of cutting to midback twice in order to thicken the ends. I'ts taken a year to get to past waist again with thicker ends. In that time i felt so ugly with short hair and missed the length more than liked the cleaner hem.

Tbh I wouldn't even cut back to waist, a 2 inch trim would make a huge difference in your hair alone. then maybe microtrim to hip? You'd probably get to solid hip with a much softer taper in like 6-9 months instead of the 18 months it's taking for me.

I wish you happy growth :D

MrsGuther
July 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Waist is where your elbows are at. You are way past waist length.

lapushka
July 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
In my book that's hip length.

catamonica
July 8th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'd say hip. Your hair is pretty.

Yozhik
July 8th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Looks like hip to me. :)

Gogobaby
July 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Hip for sho. But I agree with jojo, i'd bite the bullet and cut to waist.. Or at least 2 inch trim.

Kyla
July 8th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Definitely hip in my opinion, way past waist for sure.

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Your is hip or near it. The ends need to be micro trim so they thicken and its lovely.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I'd call it past waist and nearly hip. I'd cut back to waist to give it a nice full hemline but that's just me!

Me too.

Pretty.