PDA

View Full Version : My Mom's Hair is Falling Out

WaitingSoLong
July 7th, 2012, 02:40 PM
So I know it's common for people who are aging to get thinned out hair, some even become bald, male or female, but my mom told me the other day that her hair is falling out in mass. She is 60.

She has been on weight watchers for a few months and she thinks this may be the cause. I don't necessarily disagree. I am not a fan of diets like that and I won't get into the whole diet thing but I wondered if anyone else thinks this could be the cause. I urged her to eat for her HEALTH and not to lose weight (I see a distinct difference) and see the doctor about it but she hasn't that I know of. It COULD be a massive shed. I did not see the clumps of hair she spoke of and because she keeps her hair short with a perm it is hard to tell. I wanted to grab her head and inspect it but I refrained. LOL.

I asked her if she was getting enough protein and fatty acids, etc. But would lack of protein cause hair to fall out or just stop growing?

Any info anyone could share? I am hoping this is just a major shed for her.

MissHair
July 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I can relate. My mum is in her 50's and she's been vegetarian for decades. Her hair falls out too and I've recommended to add more protein to her diet but I she hasn't. There's only so much one can do to help. Diet plays a major role in hair health.

Madora
July 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Perhaps it is anemia related? If she's not getting enough iron in her diet, that will contribute to hair loss (as I found out).

A checkup and blood panel, plus a thyroid check too, might be a good idea.

WaitingSoLong
July 7th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks Madora, I think she has been anemic in the past, I will mention it to her!

Pearly~91
July 22nd, 2012, 03:03 PM
I know this thread is a little old, but I just thought I should mention that it could also be related to auto-immune. My mom has auto-immune related hair loss that just started this year and she is honestly going bald. :(
The only thing is, I don't think there is anything you can do about that. Derms sometimes prescribe topical stimulants if the hair doesn't start growing back on its own.

jojo
July 22nd, 2012, 04:09 PM
Perhaps it is anemia related? If she's not getting enough iron in her diet, that will contribute to hair loss (as I found out).

A checkup and blood panel, plus a thyroid check too, might be a good idea.

This and also has she fully gone through the menopause? My mum had hair loss for 5 years after going through the menopause, it's now back to its very thick state. It sounds hormonal to me.

swearnsue
July 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
I agree with the previous posters that suggest she go to a doctor to make sure it isn't thyroid or iron problems or something else. It's probably the diet, which has benefits if it helps obese people lose some weight BUT I'm not sure those diets are great for long term use.
Just thought, if it's a low salt diet, she might get her iodine level checked too.