PDA

View Full Version : Finally a new comment

WaitingSoLong
July 7th, 2012, 02:32 PM
So I was in a checkout line today with my hair in a paranda braid today and the customer behind me asked "how long did that ponytail take?" which, at first, I didn't think he was talking to me because it was a braid, not a "ponytail", but I turned around and he was talking to me. He repeated the question and I stood there dumbfounded. I thought he meant how long did it take to make the braid, but before I answered (standing there gaping like...derrr....) he said "About 5 years?". Comprehension dawned and I told him about 6. We left after that, he just nodded his head. I think he may have had a ponytail? but I never saw the back of him. He would have been more accurate, had he taken into account the length a braid eats up. Or maybe he did, he did not pull out a tape measure afterall.

I wondered if he was an LHCer, most people have no clue about hair growth rates. It was nice to hear something different than the standar "you have long hair" comment. I actually much prefer questions, even when they are a bit...absurd as they can be at times (I don't think his was absurd at all, he seemed genuinely curious).

Anyway, just thought I would share. :)

Pixie0763
July 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I await the day I have hair long enough to get comments. :o

MintChocChip
July 7th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I await the day I have hair long enough to get comments. :o

Ditto! :) That's really cool. I was this close to asking a woman I went on a course with last week how long her hair took to grow to her length (little past waist) but I was too shy. Next time I get the urge I will! :D

WaitingSoLong
July 7th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I usually tell people 6 years even though I didn't shave it all off and start over 6 years ago. I know my hair grows the average of 6" per year and I know my longest strands are about 3 feet long.

I usually get the comment or question about if I have never cut it my whole life or something. It is usually like this "wow, have you EVER cut your hair?" I reply...why yes, I cut it all the time. Sometimes I refer to my last cut of 4" last October.

Amber_Maiden
July 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I want that comment!

I agree with you about getting standard questions, however. It does get a bit boring.

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I'd like to have hair long enough for the standard questions.

sun-kissed
July 7th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I'd like to have hair long enough for the standard questions.

I gotta agree with you there, I await the day I can get those standard questions!

annah
July 7th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Ditto here too. I am eagerly awaiting questions.

I generally have the longest hair of anyone I see out in public (hip length now), and never had a question or comment of any sort, except the one time someone asked if I had extensions (several years ago).

Xi
July 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Don't worry -- the comments/questions will surely come ;)

I never know quite what to say -- I've been growing my hair since age 6 or so -- it stalled around TBL for a few good years, now seems a bit longer... So how long did it take to grow it out? Dunno. :shrug: I usually just laugh and say, "a long time!" ;)