PDA

View Full Version : My hair has thickened up!

maborosi
July 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Back when I joined LHC last year, my hair was definitely a split between F/M, with lots of noticeable F strands mixed in with M strands. I thought that I had naturally "fine" hair, after years of being told that by my mom (who has very coarse hair) and stylists- and what I used to do to my hair probably did it no favors at all.

However, after completely stopping chemical dyeing, heat styling, and being nicer to my hair (and taking hair vitamins), over a year later, I think I can say my hair is solidly M with far less F strands.

I guess I wondered for a long time if hair could be made thinner by mistreating it, I guess I was right? I've also done lots of henna treatments over the last 10 months or so, so perhaps that has something to do with it? Has anyone else noticed that their hair strands were coarser after they started being nice to them?

~maborosi~

lapushka
July 7th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Has anyone else noticed that their hair strands were coarser after they started being nice to them?

Not from being nice to them, but from the henna. Back when I used to henna, my F hair got coarser and dryer, and also went more wavy in texture.

MonaMayfair
July 7th, 2012, 02:04 PM
It'll be the henna. It makes each strand thicker and stronger. Cassia thickens it up too, but has a more temporary effect.

arabian_princes
July 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Back when I joined LHC last year, my hair was definitely a split between F/M, with lots of noticeable F strands mixed in with M strands. I thought that I had naturally "fine" hair, after years of being told that by my mom (who has very coarse hair) and stylists- and what I used to do to my hair probably did it no favors at all.

However, after completely stopping chemical dyeing, heat styling, and being nicer to my hair (and taking hair vitamins), over a year later, I think I can say my hair is solidly M with far less F strands.

I guess I wondered for a long time if hair could be made thinner by mistreating it, I guess I was right? I've also done lots of henna treatments over the last 10 months or so, so perhaps that has something to do with it? Has anyone else noticed that their hair strands were coarser after they started being nice to them?

~maborosi~

Can you explain what F and M strands are please:rolleyes:

arabian_princes
July 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
It'll be the henna. It makes each strand thicker and stronger. Cassia thickens it up too, but has a more temporary effect.

I love hena but as my hair is really black I'm afraid of using it and getting a red tint in my hair in the sun. Do you know of any black hena types to keep black hair colour?:mad:

bumblebums
July 7th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Can you explain what F and M strands are please:rolleyes:

Fine and Medium--this is explained in the article on hairtyping (have a look in the articles section; the link is at the top of the page).

I love hena but as my hair is really black I'm afraid of using it and getting a red tint in my hair in the sun. Do you know of any black hena types to keep black hair colour?:mad:

True henna is only red, but cassia and indigo are natural dyes that add additional different tints. People mix henna and indigo for brown or black shades.

CurlyCap
July 7th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I don't know.

I don't henna, but when growing out my hair this time around, I have been extremely careful with it.

I listed myself as a F/M when I joined, and now I definitely have a population of thick (coarse?) strands.

It is a puzzle to me because my dad always talks about how thick my strands were when I was a kid and was sad that they went away. I'm wondering if they didn't go away, but just were destroyed when my dad stopped caring for my hair and I took over.

maborosi
July 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM

You can do a 2-step henna-indigo process and you will get jet-black hair ^^

Alternatively, cassia can give you similar effects without any coloring on dark hair.

~maborosi~

mojavewolf1
July 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I use to henna my hair and then add indigo....My hair color was beautiful ..Black with a blue tint...But I do not henna now..Its alot of work and messy but worth it..Made my hair dry first couple of days...When I was doing this my hair was at my waist....Just go to a henna thread...I was buying it from someone recommended on this site.
:poot::)

guns1969
July 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I've definitely noticed that my hair strands are thicker/coarser since using henna. It's gone from being fine to medium fine.