PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

Rowan Will-o'
July 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Good afternoon,

I am a new member, having signed up in June, but I am only starting to become familiar with how the forum works. It's a daily learning experience.

My life in a few paragraphs.

I am about to turn 65, retired in 2009, moving back to my home town in Indiana with my husband and four dogs.
My parents were still living when we returned in 2009, but my father passed away at 92 in December 2010. My mother is still going strong and will be 90 in August. We see each other every day.

Hubby and I have no children, except for the dogs: Boudreaux (Airedale - very large Airedale) born on St. Patrick's Day 2007. Perla Di Luna (we call her Luna) Bichon Frise rescued in Texas in 2008 - no idea of her age or original name. Rowan Velo (Velo is an anagram for Love) born June 2008, a hyperactive, psychotic, and totally lovable Norwich Terrier, who has epilepsy, and who will be on two medications for the remainder of her life. And last, but by far not least, Rory Madigan (Gaelic for little red dog king), Norwich Terrier born January 10, 2009.

Most important dog of all, not mentioned above was the love of my life - Will-o', (Tweedsmere Will-o'-the-Wisp) a Norwich Terrier who joined our family in the UK in 1994. He was born May 23, 1994, and passed away just short of his 15th birthday in March 2009 (the worst day of my life). Until 2008, he was our ONLY dog. I could go on and on about Will-o', and not a day goes by that he isn't in my thoughts, and he will always be in my heart. He was a world traveler, having lived in the UK, visited the U.S. several times, also having lived in Saudi Arabia, India, and Mexico.

My career was in the Department of State's Foreign Service. My postings were: Paris, Moscow (twice), Brussels, Panama, London, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, one year of training in DC, Mumbai, India, and a final tour in Matamoros, Mexico.

I met my husband in Belgium, and we married in Panama. He was a Belgian citizen, who later became a U.S. citizen.

I have been growing my hair since about 2007, and it is now 28 inches.

I love hair toys from all over the world, and have amassed a rather extensive collection. I also collect Native American hair accessories. Turquoise is one of my favorite stones. Amber is my most favorite, and I collected many amber items in Russia, but not much in the way of hair accessories.

It is a great pleasure to be a member of this group, and I hope that I will be able to participate for many years to come. It is also appealing that the group has such an international membership.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Rowan Will-o'

MonaMayfair
July 7th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Rowan and welcome to LHC!
I loved reading about your dogs, and I do know what you mean about missing your Norwich Terrier who passed away - I'll never stop missing my cat who was over 20 when she died (I'd had her since I was so young, I don't remember her not being there)
Do you know the film "Best in Show"? The Norwich Terrier is the ultimate winner in that movie!

Rowan Will-o'
July 7th, 2012, 11:13 PM
MonaMayfair,

Thanks for the welcome, and the empathy for our love of our furbabies. London was so great, and I envy you being there. Yes, I know Best in Show - which I have on DVD.

Do you know/remember the James Herriot TV series, and the original movie with Simon Ward playing James Herriot? Our vet in London, Paul Hobson was (is???) married to Simon Ward's daugther, and he actually met the real James Herriot (Alf White) before he died. Great memories of London.

I think our hair is close to the same length, as are our goals. I would be happy if mine got to waist length and maybe a little longer. I keep hoping.

One of the young women I worked with in Saudi (an American), had the most beautiful long hair, which probably came to her knees - it was very long. I had such a case of envy of her lovely locks. She always wore her hair down, and I often wonder how she stood it in the hot weather we had there.

Cheers, Rowan Will-o'

Lizbot
July 7th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Welcome, Rowan! Thank you so much for sharing.

I want to know more of your furry children, fancy hair toys, and travels. Do you have any favorite foods from afar? Any hair care techniques you've learned of elsewhere?

Best In Show is so brilliant. You've both made me want to watch that now.

missmelaniem
July 7th, 2012, 11:31 PM
What an exciting life you have had Rowan! I'm very sorry about Will-o'. I'm definitely acquainted with the pain of losing a pet.

Welcome to LHC. :)

Falcore
July 7th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Welcome, Rowan to LHC! Glad you found us all here :)

Your toy collection sounds to die for!

MonaMayfair
July 8th, 2012, 06:37 AM
MonaMayfair,

Thanks for the welcome, and the empathy for our love of our furbabies. London was so great, and I envy you being there. Yes, I know Best in Show - which I have on DVD.

Do you know/remember the James Herriot TV series, and the original movie with Simon Ward playing James Herriot? Our vet in London, Paul Hobson was (is???) married to Simon Ward's daugther, and he actually met the real James Herriot (Alf White) before he died. Great memories of London.

I think our hair is close to the same length, as are our goals. I would be happy if mine got to waist length and maybe a little longer. I keep hoping.

One of the young women I worked with in Saudi (an American), had the most beautiful long hair, which probably came to her knees - it was very long. I had such a case of envy of her lovely locks. She always wore her hair down, and I often wonder how she stood it in the hot weather we had there.

Cheers, Rowan Will-o'

I've read all James Herriot's books and really enjoyed them (also cried my eyes out over them of course!)
I've only seen a few episodes of the show on cable TV (it was originally on TV before I was born, I think it was in the 70s)
Simon Ward's daughter Sophie (who is really beautiful, I've seen her in quite a few TV shows and films) isn't married to your ex vet any more, she's gay now and has been married to another woman for ages...
Best in Show was on TV here last week - I don't own the DVD, and always watch it when it's on - I love it when Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy sing their Norwich Terrier songs (especially "God Loves a Terrier!")

jacqueline101
July 8th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I liked reading about your dogs. Your hair toys sound neat and welcome.

Vanilla
July 8th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Welcome, and I loved hearing about your life and dogs :).

Wildcat Diva
July 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM
You love amber too! I just bought a pair of acrylic hairsticks to go with my Amber jewelry.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/86414635

Just trying to match the tone of the tone of the amber. The sticks seem to look best with my amber pieces that have butterscotch and the darker orange colors. I have some of the honey amber rings and pendants that I have not found a good hairtoy match yet.

Welcome to LHC, it's nice to meet you!

anachronic
July 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Great to be here!

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Welcome to LHC . I am a huge dog lover myself, I have a Staffordshire bull terrier called Maisie, she will be 9 in August , she's a tiger brindle and I love her to bits. Nice to see new members , there's quite a few joining at the moment.

I have been a member for 5 years this August, when I joined with just past shoulder length, I'm now just touching hip length, it's been a slow journey yet at the same time has flown by! My hair has never been in such good condition due to the excellent advice I've received on here, hope you stop around and grow with us, one things for sure you will make some lovely friends on here, we're like an extended family!
Welcome aboard x x

Crysania
July 8th, 2012, 10:25 AM
welcome to lhc :)

long&blonde
July 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Welcome to LHC, Rowan!
I loved reading about your dogs and your travels.
I'm especially curious what Paris and India were like!
There is so much wisdom about, not just hair care:though yes:surely that! On LHC.
But wisdom on life. LHC members are so warm, and kind.
Of course it can have its moments of drama: what doesn't? :)
But I have found LHC to be the sweetest online site there is.
It is like an extended family.
You end up checking and reading the boards so often, that when something happens in your life:not just hair related! You think right away "I've got to share this with LHC!"
Be sure to check out the "friendship board" on LHC,along with the mane forum.
And the LHC board on pets! Amazingly at first I only checked out the mane forum for quite sometime. Do check out the friendship and pets boards too: LHC'ers chatting and sharing about so much!
So,pleased to meet you and welcome! Good luck on your hair growing journey! ;)