PDA

View Full Version : I stand humbled, corrected, and informed.

CurlyCap
July 6th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I was at the shopping center today, so I decided to do a Identify and Conquer for several hair products I've been curious about. (Thank you LHC for the enabling. :flower:)

Anyway, I found my Tresseme Naturals, I found my ribbon. I found a new protein-free suave.

But I couldn't find the Shea Moisture line.

I walked up and down the shampoo/conditioner aisle, mildly irritated, because I knew that it had to be there. It was a major brand and carried in many stores, and it had to be there.

Then I had my epiphany and walked to the opposite aisle where the black/ethnic hair care products were. Right in front was the Shea Moisture line. Sigh.

I guess I just wanted to post because it was a humbling moment. For years, I've avoided the black hair care aisle because of it's history of heavy use of petroleum products and harsh chemicals.

Today, the Shea Moisture line, developed for curly/kinky hair, was probably the healthiest hair care product I put in my basket.

Anyway, it was personal moment, extremely humbling, and I don't even know why I think this is worthy of starting a thread for...but I wanted to share.

HappyHair87
July 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Why don't they just put a sign up that says "Black Folks Hair Aisle"?...i was actually thinking of something worse but i will keep it to myself.

I hate that there is an "Ethnic Hair Care" aisle to no end!!! Why not just label both aisles "Hair Care"??!...since they can't seem to fit all hair care stuff on one aisle!!!

misspriss
July 6th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I've always found that weird too, I mean hair is hair, you should have hair care for stick straight to the kinkiest hair possible, in the hair section. I can understand dividing it up by straight, wavy, curly, and kinky, but why "hair care" and separately "ethnic hair care". Ah well, the shampoo and conditioner I use are housed in the "ethnic" section.

Dovetail
July 6th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I'm glad you found what you were looking for! I always thought they should at least just do it by hair type. Not everyone with type 4 hair is African, and not everyone with type one hair is white. But having it done by section at least "1-2" and "3-4" would make it easier for curly girls to not be shy about the "ethnic" aisles like they are some sort of taboo. I got my bbb and my hair oil in "that" asile and you'd be surprised at how many strange looks I got.

spirals
July 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Haha my friend--who's black--calls it the Black People Haircare Aisle. I buy stuff from that section, and I feel like people wonder what I'm doing there. They probably don't..

GlennaGirl
July 6th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I've always found that weird too, I mean hair is hair, you should have hair care for stick straight to the kinkiest hair possible, in the hair section. I can understand dividing it up by straight, wavy, curly, and kinky, but why "hair care" and separately "ethnic hair care". Ah well, the shampoo and conditioner I use are housed in the "ethnic" section.

This is how I feel, too. I think it's odd to make a separation in the first place. What kind of sense does that make?

Silken
July 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
And why don't they put that isle all the way to the back end of the store, while they're at it? Urgh. I've actually been using hair masks for black people for years, I've always found them more effective. If anyone ever raised their eyebrows at my being there, I never noticed. I'd probably go off on them like a firecracker.

Helix
July 6th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Most of my products don't come from the ethnic section either. Hot Six oil and Wonder 8 oil, FantasiaIC heat protectant and the silk caps are the only things I've purchased from the ethnic aisle but I've noticed they've been adding more new lines that aren't petroleum based lately.

LaceyNg
July 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
i too think it's pretty silly to have segregated haircare! and i think its honestly just 1 more thing that makes ppl of different races FEEL like they're different, you know? hair is HAIR, people!!!! what, only "african" hair types need silk pillowcases and shea butter!? certainly not!

it does bother me too though, obviously :/

come to think of it, so does a LOT of race-based beauty stuff-- like how some brands are targeted at specific skin colors, for example. its a shame that ppl who aren't in that narrowly defined group won't get to use the same brands that could be really darn good!

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I would get it if they sorted it by hair type- 1's 2's 3's 4's or whatever, but yeah, them calling it "ethnic" hair care and separating it from everything else just always seemed kinda...I don't know...it just didn't seem right. To me, I guess it just sort of looks like they're making it look like Black people's hair is "weird" or "different" and needs to be separated off from the "normal" products- but I know plenty of girls with type 3/4- hair that don't specifically go in the "ethnic" hair section.

There's a lot of good stuff in there for those of us on the opposite spectrum, and everyone in between- I've seen some really good hair masques and stuff that they don't put into the "regular" section- but why? I mean, yeah, super curly hair is more prone to dryness, but couldn't they have a section specifically for targeting dry hair instead of lumping all of it into a section "for ethnic hair"? It's just weird and confusing to me.

Also, at my local grocery store, it's the only place to find bleaching creams (like for acne scars etc, but some people use it to lighten their skin color all over) so make of that what you will.

~maborosi~

Mrs.Witherup
July 6th, 2012, 10:58 PM
My local WalMart doesn't even have an "ethnic" hair section! All the usual stuff, and I think one time I saw a relaxer kit with the home perm stuff, but nothing else. I was so perplexed when we moved here, and I even asked a worker and she looked at me like I was batty! I've used masked and conditioners from "that section" for years! I don't understand why they seperate it either!

brave
July 6th, 2012, 11:02 PM
There's actually a LOT of new healthier products aimed at the type-4/afro-textured hair that's just wonderful. Shea Moisture, Kinky-Curly, As I Am, etc. Full of wonderful ingredients. I think it's because there's a big shift towards not relaxing anymore, with a lot of force behind it from bloggers and sites like naturallycurly.

When we adopted my little sister we discovered that isle. I remember my mom being pretty upset initially that some of the ingredients seemed to make my sister's hair extremely fire-friendly. I was amused because they were some of the first products to ever actually make my hair greasy. But there's been a definite shift towards very healthy ingredients.

Vanille_
July 6th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I live in a city where Caucasian is a minority. The ethnic hair section is twice as big (in the same store) as it was where I'm from. There are a TON of -- well I don't know the correct term -- ethnic salons? This racial separation seems odd to me. But I respect the fact that these salons are in demand for a reason. They always have really pretty pictures outside and I want to go in, but know I'm not "allowed."

This whole thing is just weird to me. I feel like there are places I'm not allowed to be here or do - like shop in the ethnic section, go to the Essence Festival, look at the multiple magazines targeted for African American women (I never saw these magazines in CO). I was at the park for the fourth of July, and there were distinctly sections of the park where only African Americans hung out.

Sorry. I didn't mean to go off on such a tangent. It's just something that's really been bothering me since I moved from CO to the South.

By the way, I'm guessing most black people could care less if I do any of the above things. That was not the point. It was just an observation.

californiagirl
July 6th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I feel that the ethnic hair care section usually isn't anywhere close to the rest of the hair stuff. They really should just start putting everything together. It would make it much easier to find things, and would make the stores have less of an awkward separation.

misspriss
July 7th, 2012, 12:36 AM
There's actually a LOT of new healthier products aimed at the type-4/afro-textured hair that's just wonderful. Shea Moisture, Kinky-Curly, As I Am, etc. Full of wonderful ingredients. I think it's because there's a big shift towards not relaxing anymore, with a lot of force behind it from bloggers and sites like naturallycurly.

When we adopted my little sister we discovered that isle. I remember my mom being pretty upset initially that some of the ingredients seemed to make my sister's hair extremely fire-friendly. I was amused because they were some of the first products to ever actually make my hair greasy. But there's been a definite shift towards very healthy ingredients.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the shampoo and conditioner I use are...KINKY CURLY, and I'm what, a 2b? They are AWESOME on my hair, so who says products marketed to type 4's should be segregated, when they work for all people?

I mean this is what I don't get, everyone's hair is different. So someone has wavy hair, so "ethnic" products "aren't" for them? Nope, they work great. Another person with kinky hair finds that they prefer some straight hair products. Wow. Why segregate the hair products like that? Weirdo marketing. I appreciate that at stores like Whole Foods, the kinky curly products are well, with the hair products. All of the hair products are in the same area. Way to go, let people decide what works for their hair.

Quixii
July 7th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I always thought it was pretty stupid that they labelled it the "ethnic" section. That's where I got the SheaMoisture stuff too.
I could understand if they labelled it the Curly Hair Section. But I am in no way ethnic, yet it helps my hair.

Vanille_
July 7th, 2012, 12:56 AM
When I was an LHC noob, I went to the hair section looking for coconut oil. After not finding any, i asked an attendant and she pointed out several items in the "ethnic" section. That's when I noticed a lot of the oils are there that we talk about. Some of them aren't in pure form of course, but they have the right idea. Why are those only deemed "ethnic?"

I was sure confused.

jeanniet
July 7th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I agree it's kind of dumb, but it's so much easier when the stuff I want is there than in the general hair section! I don't have to look through everything to find it, because it's all in a special spot just for me. ;) It really is silly to intimate that white women can't have "ethnic" (read: curly/kinky) hair, though.

ETA: I just wanted to add that SheaMoisture products are the best ever if you need moisture in your hair. I can't even begin to tally all the products I've been through that have bombed for me, and SM products have never failed me yet.

GlennaGirl
July 7th, 2012, 01:18 AM
I mean this is what I don't get, everyone's hair is different. So someone has wavy hair, so "ethnic" products "aren't" for them? Nope, they work great. Another person with kinky hair finds that they prefer some straight hair products.

I know. Exactly. My best friend goes to "that section" regularly because her hair is very straight, very coarse and there are conditioners she just can't do without.

She's Welsh and Scottish descent. If that's what they mean by ethnic. :rolleyes:

ariesfairies
July 7th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I know a girl with hair in the tightly looped 4's range and she's almost Snow White in complexion, I forget her nationality but she was obviously Caucasian. Her kinky hair was something hereditary, it took her years to learn to love her hair for as perky and wild it is!!! (Especially in ponytails, the cutest puffs :D)

Hair type is to be divided by hair type and hair type only, why not make a "slick straight!!" Asian hair isle too hey, it's not like they in their own race have variations too?

GlennaGirl
July 7th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Hair type is to be divided by hair type and hair type only, why not make a "slick straight!!" Asian hair isle too hey, it's not like they in their own race have variations too?

Indeed. In fact I'm pretty offended that there's no Straivy Thin Damage Prone Polish Descent Hair aisles. What. Polish isn't an ethnicity? (As a matter of fact, I believe it falls under the casual umbrella of "Slavic.") :D And surely, each and every one of us has not straight, not wavy, thin, fine hair. We must...our ancestors were allllll from the same area of the same continent...I mean duh...

Just as long as we're arbitrarily dividing care items up by a possible similar continent of descent some 200-500 or more years ago.

Would it be that hard?

(annoyed) (flipping thin Polish hair) (stomping off)

evieisocoolike
July 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Oh, one time I was at Sally's and I bought one of their oils in the "black" :rolleyes: section. So I take it up to the counter, my mom puts her things down and I begin to set mine down when I hear "Uhhhhhh..Why are you uhhh.... that oil is for umm...I don't th-". I look up and the lady at the register is staring at me like an idiot. I just stand there glaring at her (I'm so mean! :evil:) for a little while until she starts ringing the items up. We quickly payed and got the heck out of there. Hair products in the "black" aisle are more often than not better for your hair than ones meant for "caucasion"(can you tell I'm the daughter of an anthropologist? xD) hair, depending on your hair type and/or problem. /end rant/

prettykitty
July 7th, 2012, 03:08 AM
The whole separate aisle thing has a weird fascination for me. I live in Australia, and we just don't have that here. There's like one aisle, and it usually starts cheap and gets more expensive :shrug:

moon2dove
July 7th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I'd never heard of an 'Ethnic Aisle' and didn't know what the heck you were talking about and a little taken aback, actually - until I read all the post. It seems a bit odd to me to have a separate 'Hair aisle' In UK it's one aisle for all!

Hope I don't offend anyone, but a separate aisle here would be classed as racist! It's a bit >>> :o to me!! I'll just>>> :run:

DragonLady
July 7th, 2012, 03:58 AM
Thank-you for bringing this up!

I never knew my local drugstore and Wal-Mart had "ethnic hair care" sections until I found LHC, and went looking for some of the products mentioned here.

When I did find the right aisle, I immediately assumed the labels must be written in other languages; thus the "ethnic" label. Nope. Just lots of pictures of AA women and really interesting products I'd never heard of.

It really made me feel uncomfortable. I mean...why??? I thought segregation went out waaay back when.... I don't understand the reasoning at all.

Later, I also noticed the grocery store does have a small "ethnic foods" section, with rows of sauces and noodles and such I'd never heard of. Now, my DH and I both shop that section often, as we've discovered some wonderful items we would have never noticed before.

SwordWomanRiona
July 7th, 2012, 04:19 AM
This is how I feel, too. I think it's odd to make a separation in the first place. What kind of sense does that make?

Exactly, it makes no sense. Why not put all hair products in the same aisle? Why make a difference between different types of hair, and, what is sadder, different races? I find those segregations demeaning and stupid, and unreasonable too (what if I with my straight hair wanted to use that line? Would I be going to the wrong aisle? :no:).

Fortunately we don't have any "Ethnic aisle" here! "Ethnic aisle" indeed, the people who came up with that idea must have been a bunch of pathetic people, really :mad: (and sorry for the strong language, but everything about unfair segregation really gets to me)

I can totally understand that you were upset, CurlyCap :grouphug:

whitedove
July 7th, 2012, 04:35 AM
I'd never heard of an 'Ethnic Aisle' and didn't know what the heck you were talking about and a little taken aback, actually - until I read all the post. It seems a bit odd to me to have a separate 'Hair aisle' In UK it's one aisle for all!

Hope I don't offend anyone, but a separate aisle here would be classed as racist! It's a bit >>> :o to me!! I'll just>>> :run:

I have same thoughts, although, when I went into Sallys Beauty they had it separated :confused:.

Rosetta
July 7th, 2012, 04:47 AM

Well, in the UK, it's not *just* a separate aisle, the ethnic haircare is in wholly separate shops! :wink: (At least in the London area, where I used to live for years.) And many of these shops are even called "afro haircare" something... And nobody seems offended by that. I often used to shop in those ethnic haircare shops (even as a white girl with straight fine hair), they have the most interesting products!

hafattack
July 7th, 2012, 06:02 AM
I adore some of the products that are found in the 'ethnic hair' aisle. I spend much more time looking at the admittedly more interesting products, and that is usually where I make my purchase (or, if I have spent too much money that week, it is where I get my ideas). I live in a very diverse area and Everyone that sees me, regardless of race, looks at me strangely as if I have no idea what I am doing! It cracks me up. Especially when I see the products others buy (or the condition of their hair!) and wonder if they know what They're doing.. hmm..

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I never understood why stores separate hair products.

kitschy
July 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Ha! Here in the Intermountain West of the USA, there is no ethnic aisle, there is a teeny tiny section at the end of the aisle. It takes up about two feet of shelf space. It is definitely its separate section, and there definitely is no selection to speak of.

hafattack
July 7th, 2012, 06:36 AM
I thought I would share this sad image with everyone. My first thought upooon seeing was 'holy bananas, look at what that woman is doing to her poor hair!' My second thought was sadness.. I love when women leave their hair totally natural, no matter the texture. I really think this sends the wrong message.
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj550/hafattack/2012-07-05_18-48-47_37.jpg
This was an advertisment in that same 'ethnic hair' aisle I was shopping in. I thought of LHC when I saw it so I snapped a picture for y'all.

Mesmerise
July 7th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Well we don't seem to have ethnic hair care sections where I come from. Probably because there aren't all THAT many people of African descent (who, I assume, are those the "ethnic" hair care is designed for).

Still, when I think of people who I have known that have the curliest hair (I'm talking 3c/4a or curlier) they've all been white and blonde!

I think it makes sense to arrange products, to a certain extent, by hair type: ie straight, wavy, curly etc. (I don't think the 1-4 system would work outside of LHC and other hair care forums :D). These products just seem to be intermingled on our shelves, more by brand than by hair type.

hafattack
July 7th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I would love to see hair products arranged by what they do. I am sure that is the norm somewhere but it doesn't seem to be here... and in hoonesty I have trouble figuring it out from time to time. Or to have a sulfate and cone free section! Wouldn't that be splendid!

cheetahfast
July 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I've shopped in the ethnic hair care section even before becoming a LHCer.
It started with my grandmother giving me some sort of hair butter, that worked so well on my curls.

I needed more and sent my mother to get it, being a young girl that didn't go to the drugstore. She told me when she got home that the sales person looked at her like she was crazy. She was told that the stuff was too heavy for her hair, to which she replied it was for her daughter. Then the women asked if my hair was curly. My mother said very.
I stopped using the stuff since they discontinued the one I liked.

I think the separate section is silly.
I personally love shea moisture smoothie, the smell is to die for!!!
Plus my curls come out so perfect from it.

door72067
July 7th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Haha my friend--who's black--calls it the Black People Haircare Aisle. I buy stuff from that section, and I feel like people wonder what I'm doing there. They probably don't..

I've often wondered if people wonder about me in that aisle as well

I've used this for years

http://www.sallybeauty.com/S-Curl-Activator-Moisturizer/LUSTER14,default,pd.html

it's more "main-stream" and widely available now...when I first began using it, not so much

lacefrost
July 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Exactly, it makes no sense. Why not put all hair products in the same aisle? Why make a difference between different types of hair, and, what is sadder, different races? I find those segregations demeaning and stupid, and unreasonable too (what if I with my straight hair wanted to use that line? Would I be going to the wrong aisle? :no:).

Fortunately we don't have any "Ethnic aisle" here! "Ethnic aisle" indeed, the people who came up with that idea must have been a bunch of pathetic people, really :mad: (and sorry for the strong language, but everything about unfair segregation really gets to me)

This.

Also I think it bears reflecting on what "ethnic" means as well. I mean by the definition of the word, every single person in the world is ethnic. Everyone. We all belong to some ethnic group and have an ethnicity, even if we've lost touch with some of the cultural aspects of that. What then is "ethnic hair"? And "ethnic food"? While I'm sad about the segregation, this makes me sad as well but in a different way. Considering that most people who run these stores are of European descent, as a cultural group, they decide what belongs in the "ethnic" isles. If the only people who are considered ethnic are not of European descent, what do they consider themselves? Do they feel like they don't have an ethnicity or a vibrant culture that would be interesting to people outside their ethnic group?

I know I'm reading deeply into things but I think the words we use have power and the words we choose reflect what we think. Using "ethnic hair" instead of "curly hair" or the use of "ethnic food" at all, says something.

Alvrodul
July 7th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I suppose "ethnic" has become a code word for "dark-skinned". :( There are no separate aisles for certain hair care products where I live. There are "ethnic" hair care salons, where they do braiding. They also have hair extensions there, and various hair products. I have been inside a couple of them to look at certain specific items - hairtoys, as it happens, but I did not look at the products they were selling. I think I should make a point of doing that. ;)

Debra83
July 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I know. Exactly. My best friend goes to "that section" regularly because her hair is very straight, very coarse and there are conditioners she just can't do without.

She's Welsh and Scottish descent. If that's what they mean by ethnic. :rolleyes:

My grampa was Welsh, my grandma's lineage was Scottish, my mom was born in England...I was born in Canada, but I inherited frizzy/wavy hair. My mom had tight little blond ringlets growing up, I should share a pic one day....so cute....but, she HATED her hair and used relaxers, etc....

I've lived in small towns and big cities (Montreal), and when I was there (Mtl), I NEVER recall seeing an "ethnic" hair section. Mind you, I never looked...but I was into conditioners and shampoos even then big time....way pre-LHC.

In the town we're in now, I WISH we had an ethnic hair section because then I might be able to find some of the products you guys are talking about....but we don't have one in any of the stores I've gone to, and I've GONE to them ALL...including most of the salons looking for things.

dollyfish
July 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I haaaate the term "ethnic." Seriously, who thinks that making people sound like some exotic fruit is somehow more PC? Jesus. Again and again with the normalizing of white people and the "exotifying" of black people (besides the fact that basically anyone who isn't "white" is often called "ethnic"). Why can't there be one hair care isle, where the extra nourishing or relaxing products are all next to each other? That's what many stores do. It just drives me crazy when stores have *signs* and sometimes even separate sections to designate the products for type 4 hair (and more specifically, African Americans with type 4 hair).

Besides, as a type 2 with hair that prefers heavy oil, the assumption that shea, olive oil, or even relaxing products are only for type 4 is just inaccurate. Though that's more a problem with hair care norms than "race" :shrug:

getoffmyskittle
July 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM
This.

Also I think it bears reflecting on what "ethnic" means as well. I mean by the definition of the word, every single person in the world is ethnic. Everyone. We all belong to some ethnic group and have an ethnicity, even if we've lost touch with some of the cultural aspects of that. What then is "ethnic hair"? And "ethnic food"? While I'm sad about the segregation, this makes me sad as well but in a different way. Considering that most people who run these stores are of European descent, as a cultural group, they decide what belongs in the "ethnic" isles. If the only people who are considered ethnic are not of European descent, what do they consider themselves? Do they feel like they don't have an ethnicity or a vibrant culture that would be interesting to people outside their ethnic group?

I know I'm reading deeply into things but I think the words we use have power and the words we choose reflect what we think. Using "ethnic hair" instead of "curly hair" or the use of "ethnic food" at all, says something.

I agree, ha. I hate the term "ethnic." It's so dumb because everyone has an ethnicity.

rena
July 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I've always found the term "ethnic hair" to be mildly irritating. I really don't like the sense of othering it carries. As if there's hair that's "normal" or "okay" and hair that's "abnormal" or "irregular", which must be singled out. Too bad they probably don't know just how many "non-ethnic" people benefit from the products in that isle.

dwell_in_safety
July 7th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Add me to those who find the terminology and separate designation of "ethnic" disconcerting. My hair prefers the stuff in those aisles, and my own ethnicity is primarily western European.

SpinDance
July 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Ack! You hit my button, I'm afraid. I usually steer clear of such threads, but , oh well. I'm with several of the posters in that the term 'ethnic' for hair care seems just stupid. Duh, we're all of some ethnicity or other. Most of us lots of'm. Just take a close look through my hair sometime and it is clear we're all related. While overall I've just got loose fluff with some waviness I've got everything from coarse, straight hairs to spiral curls to tight tiny kinks in my hairs. Yeesh! The stupid designation of so many US stores that certain kinds or brands of hair care products are "only" for those of certain heritage just makes me crazy.

The city I live near has some stores that have no such section, some where that's all there is, and some where it's clearly demarked and separated. Like, what? Segregation went out so long ago my kids don't even understand what it means! (Thank goodness!) Get over it already. Hair stuff is hair stuff. If it works for you it's good, if not, move on and try something else.

maborosi
July 7th, 2012, 01:04 PM
This.

No, I really don't think you're reading too much into things. Definitely where I live, there's the idea that White is sort of the 'default' and anyone else is the 'other'. I don't think that's right at all, especially since where I live, there's a lot of places where White people are the 'other'- as in, they're not the majority.

Words are incredibly powerful. It's very interesting how even little, everyday things like this can reinforce the idea that people who aren't White are 'different' or 'not the norm'.

~maborosi~

truepeacenik
July 7th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ha! I m in Oakland, and we have a general hair care aisle, but a Hispanic section and a section for African-descent hair.
There is also a primo/cheapo division in the main section.

I hope it is for ease of finding.... I doubt it, though.

But hey, most of us would also have coconut oil, olive oil, monostat and castor oil in the hair care section. We have outgrown divisions!!!!!! Or something.

spirals
July 7th, 2012, 01:23 PM
The reason why there is a separation is that it's a carryover from segregation. (I'm in the U.S.) Corporate America is very slow to change with society, unless that change=more money. Ethnic in the U.S. is code for non-caucasian. But I don't know if putting lye-based relaxers in with the Pantene and such would be strange.

cheetahfast
July 7th, 2012, 01:35 PM
But hey, most of us would also have coconut oil, olive oil, monostat and castor oil in the hair care section. We have outgrown divisions!!!!!! Or something.

Haha!! :rollin:

FrannyG
July 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Indeed. In fact I'm pretty offended that there's no Straivy Thin Damage Prone Polish Descent Hair aisles. What. Polish isn't an ethnicity? (As a matter of fact, I believe it falls under the casual umbrella of "Slavic.") :D And surely, each and every one of us has not straight, not wavy, thin, fine hair. We must...our ancestors were allllll from the same area of the same continent...I mean duh...

Just as long as we're arbitrarily dividing care items up by a possible similar continent of descent some 200-500 or more years ago.

Would it be that hard?

(annoyed) (flipping thin Polish hair) (stomping off)

My fine, flat Ukrainian hair and I agree with you completely.

GlennaGirl
July 7th, 2012, 01:55 PM
My fine, flat Ukrainian hair and I agree with you completely.

Come on, Franny. (hooking arms with Franny) Let's go to the slav aisle.

:D :D :D

Finnenna
July 7th, 2012, 01:55 PM
All I can say is So, that's where they moved it to. I will have to go look over there. In all the shops around here, it's always a couple aisles away from the rest of the hair care. WHY? Racism hasn't actually died. It so sucks. All the hair stuff should be in one or two aisles (only because there's so much of it that it spills over into another aisle.)

Lady Neeva
July 7th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I can never find Sports Solution S & C in CVS aisle, maybe they should have an section devoted to sports, too.

long&blonde
July 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I always feel people look and wonder what I'm doing in the "ethnic" haircare aisle,studying and buying stuff too! I agrr it all should just be labeled "haircare." But for the bigger sizes of the products and cheaper prices, excellent treasures that work for you one can find in the "ethnic"hair care aisle? I say if its not broken,why fix it.

FrannyG
July 7th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Come on, Franny. (hooking arms with Franny) Let's go to the slav aisle.

:D :D :D

Slav aisle, get ready; here we come!!!:hifive:

Spring
July 7th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I was at the shopping center today, so I decided to do a Identify and Conquer for several hair products I've been curious about. (Thank you LHC for the enabling. :flower:)

Anyway, I found my Tresseme Naturals, I found my ribbon. I found a new protein-free suave.

But I couldn't find the Shea Moisture line.

I walked up and down the shampoo/conditioner aisle, mildly irritated, because I knew that it had to be there. It was a major brand and carried in many stores, and it had to be there.

Then I had my epiphany and walked to the opposite aisle where the black/ethnic hair care products were. Right in front was the Shea Moisture line. Sigh.

I guess I just wanted to post because it was a humbling moment. For years, I've avoided the black hair care aisle because of it's history of heavy use of petroleum products and harsh chemicals.

Today, the Shea Moisture line, developed for curly/kinky hair, was probably the healthiest hair care product I put in my basket.

Anyway, it was personal moment, extremely humbling, and I don't even know why I think this is worthy of starting a thread for...but I wanted to share.

CurlyCap, I stayed away from the ethnic care section for about 10 years because I was tired of the rip off so called cream moisturizers that actually dried out your hair, instead I switched to olive oil in the cooking isle. After finding Traycee's KISS blog in '09 and watching her moisturize her hair with Cantu Shea conditioning creme, I decided to give this a try.... and I loved it. You stayed away because of petroleum products, I stayed away because of all the "false" moisturizing claims. It's nice to be surprised.

LaFlor
July 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM
We have the ethnic section as well as a latino section.
I guess the latino section makes more sense to me since it is mostly imported stuff and all the labels are in spanish. I doubt anyone else would really know what the products are for since the labels are really poorly translated.

We also have ethnic hair care stores. When it came time to undo my dreadlocks I had to go to one to find the product I needed and it was extremely awkward. I got some strange looks and I can understand why. I was really surprised to see that most of the shop was just weaves and wigs though... not really hair care products.

I've been tempted to try things from the ethnic isle. I just don't know exactly what to try :shrug:

jellycatty
July 7th, 2012, 08:01 PM
There's an "ethnic" beauty supplies store near my house and their products are for really curly hair. I've been in there, but I haven't bought anything yet, I might in the winter time when my hair needs more moisture.
The owners of the store are Korean. lol

WaitingSoLong
July 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I haaaate the term "ethnic." Seriously, who thinks that making people sound like some exotic fruit is somehow more PC? Jesus. Again and again with the normalizing of white people and the "exotifying" of black people (besides the fact that basically anyone who isn't "white" is often called "ethnic"). Why can't there be one hair care isle, where the extra nourishing or relaxing products are all next to each other? That's what many stores do. It just drives me crazy when stores have *signs* and sometimes even separate sections to designate the products for type 4 hair (and more specifically, African Americans with type 4 hair).

Besides, as a type 2 with hair that prefers heavy oil, the assumption that shea, olive oil, or even relaxing products are only for type 4 is just inaccurate. Though that's more a problem with hair care norms than "race" :shrug:

Hmm. I always was a bit envious that the black people get a special section for their haircare and the rest of us just get lumped into some mass of products we have to sift through and try to figure out what it best for our varying hair types. You can have very curly hair and not be ethnic...and I don't ever see hair type numbers on packages?

I have shopped in the black haircare aisle (and felt like a tresspasser). It is usually at the end of the rest of the products, but distinctly different because the photos on the packaging show only black people and hair. But there all all sorts of so-called "exotic" products in the rest of the haircare, showing all colors of skin on the packaging. I have never heard it called the "ethnic" hair section. I don't think it is labeled around here but I will start paying attention.

Exotic is a good term in my book. Who wants to be regular old plain? I want to be exotic. I don't equate exotic with any ethnic background, just as something foreign and unusually desirable (French and Australian are both portrayed as exotic around my area).

Perhaps I just see it from a different perspective, not being raised racist, I just don't "see" the big deal. I don't see a separation (segregation), I see a "special" section for only those qualified to go there. It never occurred to me that some would think it racist. That is really sad :(

I will add I have been a victim of racism many times before and so I know what it feels like.

Rufflebutt
July 7th, 2012, 09:19 PM
My opinion differs from most people in this thread. In my experience, it seems like most African Americans have hair that has special needs. Since most of them predominately have very curly dry hair, it would make sense that there would be products specifically targeted/marketed towards that demographic.

From what I've observed, many of my black friends have hair routines that completely differ from mainstream haircare. I don't think it's a race thing but more of a cultural thing. Things like oils, using sleep caps, and using protective hairstyles are fairly well known with African-Americans while not so much with the main-stream public.

But with that being said, 90% of the stuff that is in the Ethnic hair isle isn't JUST good for African hair, but simply good for hair in general. In fact, I find a lot of the stuff way more hair-friendly than most mainstream brands. I think this is simply because African hair has a tendency to be fine and brittle, so babying it is more common. I've met many black women who feel very frustrated because they're starts to break as soon as it reaches shoulder length.

HappyHair87
July 7th, 2012, 09:51 PM
There's an "ethnic" beauty supplies store near my house and their products are for really curly hair. I've been in there, but I haven't bought anything yet, I might in the winter time when my hair needs more moisture.
The owners of the store are Korean. lol

And if you guys do some research on why....this is why i avoid those shops at ALL COSTS!!! There are almost NO "Black Hair/Beauty Supply" stores owned by Black ppl and when i researched and found out why...i was infuriated!!!!

The segregation of the haircare products reminds me of this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuOfx-W8o-igJsEkrM33ZGYC6QZbGsGuJQjoev7ubNZcVg6VlbFQ

And this:

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7QXOwjD9Ft1yQVzrgwDClmmzb8hPFf hPN8c1jwNxnPOCz10C4yQ

Stuff i learned about in school. It enrages me...the stupidity of ppl and what they put my Granparents and great grandparents....even my parents through. Now they are being sneaky calling it "Ethnic".

Alembic
July 7th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Wow I'm glad to see that other people have raised the question of 'ethnic' products in stores. I find that not only are they separated but often in totally different areas. Why do stores do this? It makes zero sense and frankly I think it is an inconvenience for people who want to buy these products by making them hunt for them. I buy shea products for my hair and I think they should be included in the same aisle as all the other haircare stuff. I've seen the Shea Moisture products in the 'ethnic' aisle and will now try them after reading this thread.

GoblinTart
July 7th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Our store has the ethnic section. And also, a teensy corner of an aisle for Mexican hygiene products. De la Cruz, grisi soaps, manzanilla shampoo, pepper shampoo of some sort. Whenever I'm looking for some new natural type product, I head to those sections first. That's where i find sweet almond oil, tea tree oil, gentian violet, anything deemed natural and not main stream. I had to go to the ethnic section to find a BBB. what? White girls don't need BBBs?

Why.separate any of this stuff? Make a natural products section, make a.section for hair care, and be done with it! I always wonder if I make a complaint to our Walmart, if they would change it. Heck, when I worked there, I had to go around the store and take down all the American flags for independence day because it was offensive. And we removed all WIC signs, because it implied buying those foods meant the.customer was poor. I had customer complaints about me, simply because my command of Spanish was.atrocious. I wasn't white enough to not speak Spanish. Sigh... Although I will never forget my.supervisor taking a complaint about me, and the.lady said I had a cactus on my.forehead.

I've gotten off track...oops.

SwordWomanRiona
July 8th, 2012, 07:33 AM
This.

Yes, I totally agree! Words have a lot of power, and they are too often used to bring out more and more unfair segregations. I hate how people use the word "ethnic" as well, because I see it as some stupid form of 'white superiority'...seeing as apparently everything that's not white is get called "ethnic" :(. That's not fair...and the word's badly used too, as you said, because we're all "ethnic", after all.

SwordWomanRiona
July 8th, 2012, 07:34 AM

I totally agree!! The term infuriates me as well. And it seems to be so 'fashionable' right now :no:. As far as I'm aware, anything that's not based int he white European culture is now thoughtlessly branded as "ethnic"...anything from hair products to jewellery to clothes, to anything!
Not about hair, but I went to a store a couple of days ago asking for an American Indian-inspired T-shirt I had seen, with fringes (which my mum likes), and they didn't understand me! Only when a fellow salesperson told the one I was speaking with that I was referring to the "Ethnic T-shirt" did she realize what I was talking about. I was speechless. She said that so thoughtlessly, so carelessly, jumbling up everything that was not European in that single word: Ethnic. With that slight tone of derision, even. It bugged me a lot! Doesn't it ever cross their minds that someone with American Indian roots could be offended and hurt? No, of course, that would never cross their minds.

lacefrost
July 8th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Exotic is a good term in my book. Who wants to be regular old plain? I want to be exotic. I don't equate exotic with any ethnic background, just as something foreign and unusually desirable (French and Australian are both portrayed as exotic around my area).

Perhaps I just see it from a different perspective, not being raised racist, I just don't "see" the big deal. I don't see a separation (segregation), I see a "special" section for only those qualified to go there. It never occurred to me that some would think it racist. That is really sad :(

I will add I have been a victim of racism many times before and so I know what it feels like.

I think it's great you don't equate "exotic" with a certain background. I wish more people could be like you. Unfortunately, that hasn't been my experience. Any time I have been called exotic, it has been entirely based on my blackness. Not anything to do with my features or my style or anything. But just that I have brown skin. And while I appreciate people who appreciate my brown skin, it sucks when that's the only reason I'm receiving appreciation. When I think, "Hey this guy really likes me" but it turns out (very obviously) that it's not me he likes but my blackness. And that's just one icky thing that comes from being "exotic".

The thing about racism is that it takes many forms and it affects different people differently. People in the South don't behave as if the "ethnic hair" section is a special section. At best, it's looked on with mild curiosity. I've overheard nasty things said about me for being in said section. (shrugs) When it comes to stuff of this nature, YMMV.

heidi w.
July 8th, 2012, 09:06 AM
The ethnic hair care aisle has a number of products that even other hair types would benefit from taking a look at. I discovered this aisle a long time ago, and look at its offerings often even though I'm pretty well set as far as hair care routine goes. Many Black people have been practicing oiling their hair for a long time. It's well-known in Black hair care, as a basic idea for great hair care.

heidi w.

GlennaGirl
July 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM
My opinion differs from most people in this thread. In my experience, it seems like most African Americans have hair that has special needs. Since most of them predominately have very curly dry hair, it would make sense that there would be products specifically targeted/marketed towards that demographic.

From what I've observed, many of my black friends have hair routines that completely differ from mainstream haircare. I don't think it's a race thing but more of a cultural thing. Things like oils, using sleep caps, and using protective hairstyles are fairly well known with African-Americans while not so much with the main-stream public. (snip)

Oh, I'm certain there are particular hair types, that show up more in various ethnicities, that may require a different routine from, say, "European"-ancestry hair. But why exactly does that mean those products should be in a completely different aisle of the store -- sometimes a completely different section? If they are both different (bad grammar but I don't know how else to get that across), then why does one get placed conveniently, near hairbrushes, curlers/rollers, hair appliances, etc. -- and the other get placed...just somewhere else altogether? (Or at the very stubby end of that aisle?)

Nixoral or whatever that hair-growth product is, is in the "regular" (???) hair care aisle at every store I've ever been to that carries it. Wouldn't hair loss be a different type of need than the typical healthy-haired population (of any ethnicity), too? So why isn't that in a completely different section of the store, since people experiencing hair thinning and loss have totally different needs from the main-stream public?

Our "ethnic" hair care section at WalMart is on the back wall, perpendicular to "beauty and personal care," but down from hair care...in between nail products, and aquarium fish.

?????????????????? I mean if on any given day, you break a nail, decide you want a new pet and are black, I guess you're in luck. Otherwise...this setup just makes me go "um..?".

Of the Fae
July 8th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I've noticed a lot of good oil products like amla and coconut in the ethnic hair aisle.
I love to use those, but I always get stared at when I go to stores that sell ethnic hair products (maybe because I am white). Why is there such a divide? There are many products there that are good for all types of hair, and the non-ethnic section has many products for curly hair too here in Holland. It confuses me. African hair is to my knowledge different in feel and texture, so it needs different care I guess, but I find it rather extreme to separate so much

Tisiloves
July 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM
That's really weird, there might be a bit of a "Black section" going on in my local shops, but it's still in the same haircare aisle(s), and since they group by brand it makes sense to put the olive oil stuff and Dark and Lovely together (hijack/ does anyone else think Dark and Lovely sounds like it should be a chocolate company?/end hijack), like they group the high end brands, or the medicated brands together.

Micayla47
July 8th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Why don't they just put a sign up that says "Black Folks Hair Aisle"?...i was actually thinking of something worse but i will keep it to myself.

I hate that there is an "Ethnic Hair Care" aisle to no end!!! Why not just label both aisles "Hair Care"??!...since they can't seem to fit all hair care stuff on one aisle!!!
i agree! i hate the term "ethnic". what does that even mean? everyone is "ethnic". anglo, afro, hispanic, asian, they are all ethnicities.

Of the Fae
July 8th, 2012, 11:13 AM
We have an entire street with many shops specifically targetted towards ethnic people. One store owned by african guys. I buy my henna there, and was confused about the following: They sell asian and black hair products next to eachother (which are completely different hairtypes) and no "white"hair products at all. And any other store seels only normal hair products and no oils or natural conditioners. I agree with everyone on this: Sell by hairtype, not by race, it encourages segregation by othering eachother.

GlennaGirl
July 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM
That's really weird, there might be a bit of a "Black section" going on in my local shops, but it's still in the same haircare aisle(s), and since they group by brand it makes sense to put the olive oil stuff and Dark and Lovely together (hijack/ does anyone else think Dark and Lovely sounds like it should be a chocolate company?/end hijack), like they group the high end brands, or the medicated brands together.

Well, that makes sense, but L'Oreal, Clairol and Garnier are all different brands, so why aren't, for example, the L'Oreal, Clairol, Garnier and Dark & Lovely hair colors together...the way the first three are?

Tisiloves
July 8th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Well, that makes sense, but L'Oreal, Clairol and Garnier are all different brands, so why aren't, for example, the L'Oreal, Clairol, Garnier and Dark & Lovely hair colors together...the way the first three are?

Good point, although the only D&L colour I saw was a "Colourlaxer".

Changling
July 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM

OMG, RIGHT?? I remember the first time I wandered from the hair aisle to the skin care aisle, and found that half of it was the "ethnic hair care" aisle...I was like WTF?? I thought we had got beyond segregation, but I GUESS. I. WAS. WRONG. >__< it makes me mad because it's like I was the only one that noticed, or cared.

Xandergrammy
July 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Most of the stores around here have the "ethnic" hair care section and a whole separate section for Latina customers and there are several separate Indian markets for that population. I've shopped in all of them and nobody bats an eye. Hurray for a culturally blended township!!!

Sheltie_Momma
July 9th, 2012, 11:45 AM
For whatever it's worth I got Shea Moisture brand (Curl Enhancing Smoothie is my current LOVE) at Target where it was on an end cap. That stuff is AWESOME for my coarse wurly hair. It is absolutely my favorite go-to and I honestly had no idea it was for any particular folks (since it was on an end cap and not in any particular section)

Segregated hair care is soooooo dumb.

CurlyCurves
July 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
We get the 'ethnic' sections too, here in England. We also have these 'ethnic' hair shops like 'Paks' etc, run by Asians (I'm being serious). They sell mainly petroleum based products, like Pink hair lotion, and wigs/weaves/hair glue/relaxer. Up until recently, I called them 'black hair shops'. LOL, I used to go in there to get my hair gel.

And up until recently, I thought there was such thing as 'black hair', 'white hair' etc. I used to ask my Mum why they didn't have aisles for 'mixed hair'.

LOL, now I know that hair is hair is hair is hair :D

palaeoqueen
July 10th, 2012, 03:00 AM
We get the 'ethnic' sections too, here in England. We also have these 'ethnic' hair shops like 'Paks' etc, run by Asians (I'm being serious). They sell mainly petroleum based products, like Pink hair lotion, and wigs/weaves/hair glue/relaxer. Up until recently, I called them 'black hair shops'. LOL, I used to go in there to get my hair gel.

And up until recently, I thought there was such thing as 'black hair', 'white hair' etc. I used to ask my Mum why they didn't have aisles for 'mixed hair'.

LOL, now I know that hair is hair is hair is hair :D

It must depend where you live, I've never seen a separate section for "ethnic" haircare. There were loads of "ethnic" hair care shops where I lived in SE London but the Superdrug near me had a decent selection as well, all in the main haircare aisle. That's how I first discovered oils :D

Rosetta
July 10th, 2012, 03:21 AM
This is what I was trying to say several pages ago, but I guess it got kind of lost there ;) So, not *just* a separate aisle, but wholly separate shops! ;) (At least in the London area, where I used to live for years.) And many of these shops are indeed called "afro haircare" something... Btw, Pak's is one of my favourite haircare shops in the world! Could spend hours there :) I truly miss that over here.