PDA

View Full Version : Sock Bun Damaging?

mckenzie
July 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I need an up-do to replace my daily pony, because it has caused major breakage. Would wearing a rolled sock-bun be a safer alternative, even if worn daily?

Thanks!

Tisiloves
July 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Any hairstyle can be damaging if worn daily, it wears all the same hairs out. If you simply have to wear the same hairstyle every day try to vary the position.

Also the sock bun's pretty good, but because it requires an intial ponytail you may still have breakage issues.

Why not have a shufti at Roscata's list of shorter hairstyles? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=2118178#post2118178)

nowheregirl
July 6th, 2012, 01:07 PM
dont you have to do a pony tail with sock bun as well?

afu
July 6th, 2012, 01:10 PM
a sock bun would offer more protection to your ends but it may still cause damage at the ponytail end, I stopped wearing them for that reason. For me I find that the least damaging hairstyles are hairstick buns without any elastics or pins and not always in the same place

mckenzie
July 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hey guys, I am not doing an initial ponytail with the sock bun. All I use is a rolled up sock!

Tisiloves
July 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Hey guys, I am not doing an initial ponytail with the sock bun. All I use is a rolled up sock!

That's quite the trick, I can't even do one with a ponytail.

What I said about varying the position and maybe switching it up with other styles still stands though.

mckenzie
July 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
That's quite the trick, I can't even do one with a ponytail.

What I said about varying the position and maybe switching it up with other styles still stands though.

Ok, Thanks! Yeah- I find it really easy to do the elastic-free sock bun with my hair, maybe because I don't have a lot of it? :) Takes me about a minute..

Tisiloves
July 6th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Ok, Thanks! Yeah- I find it really easy to do the elastic-free sock bun with my hair, maybe because I don't have a lot of it? :) Takes me about a minute..

My layers and bits always seem to sproing out, plus my hair generally objects to being made to bend.

prettykitty
July 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM
My hair refuses to be rolled in a sock bun. It's all contrary like that, grrr

MintChocChip
July 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I don't see why if would be damaging (especially if you can do it without the ponytail first!) if you do it correctly. I can't do a sockbun very successfully and always end up with tangles and sometimes accidentally pulling hairs out so it's a no go for me. But if you can do it well I don't see how it could be damaging. Maybe swap it for another hairstyle every once in a while though so you're not putting the strain on the same parts of your head like a previous poster mentioned.

islandboo
July 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I worry about that with a sock bun too - not just the pony, but rolling the hair against itself. It seems like that would ruffle the keratin scales on the hair shaft. Don't ask me why that updo strikes me as a bad idea whereas the hair rubbing against itself in a lazy wrap or nautilus doesn't because I can't give you an answer, LOL. I am sure I am just being overly alarmist, but my hair is so fragile. Anyway, the sock bun scares me (but man, would I love that volume!)

mckenzie
July 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I worry about that with a sock bun too - not just the pony, but rolling the hair against itself. It seems like that would ruffle the keratin scales on the hair shaft. Don't ask me why that updo strikes me as a bad idea whereas the hair rubbing against itself in a lazy wrap or nautilus doesn't because I can't give you an answer, LOL. I am sure I am just being overly alarmist, but my hair is so fragile. Anyway, the sock bun scares me (but man, would I love that volume!)

My hair is very fragile too, so I guess that's why I wanted to check with all you guys first, before I start wearing it frequently. And, yes, the volume is great!!

Thanks for all input so far....:)

mckenzie
July 7th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Guess I'll try to alternate a bit between different updos. I'm so used to my ponytail, and I'm struggling with finding something as easy, that I also like

FrannyG
July 7th, 2012, 12:58 PM
At your length, you could do a peacock twist, which wouldn't require any elastics at all. You'd just need a clip of some sort.

Amber_Maiden
July 7th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I do find sock buns damaging. I find that rolling the hair damages it a bit.

mckenzie
July 7th, 2012, 01:15 PM
At your length, you could do a peacock twist, which wouldn't require any elastics at all. You'd just need a clip of some sort.

Just looked that up (should probably have already known), and I really like it!
Very cute! Thanks :)

mckenzie
July 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I do find sock buns damaging. I find that rolling the hair damages it a bit.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about! Thanks