PDA

View Full Version : What's the weirdest improv you've done with your hair?

IvanaGil
July 6th, 2012, 11:39 AM
A while back when I stayed at a hotel, I had completely forgotten to pack a comb. I didn't need to comb unless I showered, and then, without thinking, I hopped in the shower! Since hotel rooms only offer their tiny 1 oz. bottles of shampoo, my hair was a tangly mess afterwards. I rummaged through my purse, praying that maybe I had a small comb somewhere in there...and all I found was...a fork! I had to pull a Little Mermaid and detangle with a fork (I remember to pack a fork but not a comb, how smart of me). I'm sure I did some damage to my hair, but I couldn't stand the dread-lock feeling of my hair after the shower.
What's the weirdest thing you've had to improvise with your hair?

DarkCurls
July 6th, 2012, 11:56 AM
You had a fork in your purse. I wanna know the story here.

:p I finger-comb, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem... I guess the only time I've had to improvise was when I ditched shampoo, realised I didn't own a single bottle of conditioner, and went water-only for a few weeks until I bought some. Before I knew that water-only was an actual, tested and proved washing method.
Oh, and the time I had to cover my braid so it wouldn't snag on anything (I was in a very snag-inducing environment, even my not-very-long hair was in danger) and used a stocking. :p

IvanaGil
July 6th, 2012, 11:59 AM

:p I finger-comb, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem... I guess the only time I've had to improvise was when I ditched shampoo, realised I didn't own a single bottle of conditioner, and went water-only for a few weeks until I bought some. Before I knew that water-only was an actual, tested and proved washing method.
Oh, and the time I had to cover my braid so it wouldn't snag on anything (I was in a very snag-inducing environment, even my not-very-long hair was in danger) and used a stocking. :p

LOL! A stocking!
I usually have half bottles of everything all over my shower for those days when I can't buy poo or conditioner.
The fork was in my purse because I snatched one from my kitchen before leaving my house while I was eating something lol because I'm a chubby bunny :p

Tisiloves
July 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Before I knew about sleep caps I used to sleep with tights on my head to protect curling apparatus.

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
My boyfriend broke one of my hairsticks once. My hair was too long and it was too windy outside to just let it hang down. I had no elastics with me so I couldn't do a braid.

Solution: one of my wooden paintbrushes functioned as a stand-in hairtoy. WOOT!

(I've actually done this on more than one occasion, too- I'm a comic artist and have a bunch of wooden paintbrushes and pens I work with, and they come in handy...though taking the pen nib out of the body is probably a smart idea unless you want to use it as an accidental weapon! Looks really cool, though.)

IvanaGil- lolol that is too funny! I've always wondered if you can really use a fork as a comb!

~maborosi~

Alvrodul
July 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Stockings are useful! :D I have several times used a stocking over the saran wrap when hennaing.

XcaliburGirl
July 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
A while back when I stayed at a hotel, I had completely forgotten to pack a comb. I didn't need to comb unless I showered, and then, without thinking, I hopped in the shower! Since hotel rooms only offer their tiny 1 oz. bottles of shampoo, my hair was a tangly mess afterwards. I rummaged through my purse, praying that maybe I had a small comb somewhere in there...and all I found was...a fork! I had to pull a Little Mermaid and detangle with a fork (I remember to pack a fork but not a comb, how smart of me). I'm sure I did some damage to my hair, but I couldn't stand the dread-lock feeling of my hair after the shower.
What's the weirdest thing you've had to improvise with your hair?
I once had the opposite problem. I didn't have a fork with which eat my Pad Thai, so I washed off my hair sticks and used them as chopsticks. :p

ladyfey
July 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I've used co-flex as a ponytail holder. It is a "tape" that only sticks to itself. It's used to help hold IVs at the hospital and various other uses, veterinarians use it alot too.

IvanaGil
July 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I once had the opposite problem. I didn't have a fork with which eat my Pad Thai, so I washed off my hair sticks and used them as chopsticks. :p

LOL! That's hilarious! :D

sun-kissed
July 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Oh that's just too funny!
Half of my hairsticks are just decorative chopsticks I bought at an estate sale. The entire house was filled with Asian things, so I went around finding a set here, a set there; there were even a few sets in the bathroom being used as hairsticks. :D The pricing was just $5 a set, which is right up my alley.

Diamond.Eyes
July 6th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Plastic wrap when I run out of shower caps. :laugh:

Crybb
July 6th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I love this! Totally doing chopstick hair sticks from now on!

Crybb
July 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I've used co-flex as a ponytail holder. It is a "tape" that only sticks to itself. It's used to help hold IVs at the hospital and various other uses, veterinarians use it alot too.
Is coflex the same as vet wrap? Like a thin colorful ace bandage? And can you use it more than once?

spirals
July 6th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I love this! Totally doing chopstick hair sticks from now on!

I never could understand buying hair sticks when perfectly good chopsticks were available. :D And the story of using hairsticks to eat with made me lol. My weirdest thing was using a clear shoe polishing sponge to try to take down frizz while workng at the shoe store.

Not Lynn Merely
July 6th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I was on stage crew for a show with a guy friend who had layered hair to just below his chin. He had to wear a wig, and we couldn't get most of the layers to stay, so I used the top of an old pair of stockings as a wig cap for him. It worked! They are pretty much the same thing anyway, but he felt a little weird wearing ladies' undergarments on his head.

SerinaDaith
July 6th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I went to visit family for a wedding and packed a shampoo/body wash and lotion but forgot conditioner and any sort of brush, we were headed to a very humid area of the country, I had to use my lotion as a light leave in conditioner and learned to finger comb my hair, of course my hair was about the exact length it is now so mid neck impossible to pull up in any sort of sophisticated manner let's just say I had white girl pouf in a major way! I felt so bad looking like that for my big brother's wedding day :(

Darkessa
July 6th, 2012, 09:43 PM
When I started doing deep conditioning treatments and dying my own hair... I realized I needed some kind of cap...
So I started using plastic grocery bags, and have been using em since!
I save all my grocery bags and use them as caps and kitty dropping holders! :D

MeowScat
July 7th, 2012, 01:37 AM
Awesome thread, I hope there will be a lot more posts. Very entertaining and chock full of cool ideas.

One time I wanted to cool off real quick before I had to go out so I hopped in the pool. I took my shampoo and conditioner with me and washed my hair. My scalp had never felt cleaner but my length had never felt more like sticky straw. Ewww.

Not one of my best ideas. I thought I was so clever during it, though. Oops.

:shrug:

maradeerfarmer
July 7th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Is coflex the same as vet wrap? Like a thin colorful ace bandage? And can you use it more than once?
Yes, co-plus= vetwrap= co-flex.:cool: