PDA

View Full Version : My kid whacked her hair off!

RitaCeleste
July 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM
My daughter had long hair. Its fine and was tangling badly. Yesterday she just got up, said she was cutting it all off rather than brush it out, and proceeded to whack it off! She pulled it into a ponytail in back and chopped. We found a salon and the stylist was great. She has an awesome little bob right now that's stacked in the back. Her hair is so full and wavy and the cut is WONDERFUL! Now she wants to grow out her bangs and get a pixie. I'm sad that she doesn't like her cut as it is, but glad she isn't crying for lost hair. I suppose I'm mourning her hair a bit but I understand why she was tired of maintaining her long hair. She's a kid! I'm also a bit in awe of the stylist who fixed her hot mess. Not quiet so in awe I'm making an appointment for myself but its actually tempting for once. I'm sad my kid is less a bunch of hair but happy to have good salon story! :D

Alembic
July 6th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Your daughter is fierce! She sounds like someone who knows who she is and isn't intimidated by taking risks with her appearance - that's a sign of a solid identity and I highfive her for that. I would understand totally your mourning of the loss of her hair, though, my mother did the same when I was a teenager! Only when I got older did I realize how it isn't just about the hair, it's about the transition from the era of youth to maturity - now I miss sitting on the floor before school while she braided my hair for the day. I bet you anything though you haven't seen the last of your daughter's long hair days - in a few years she may grow it out longer than ever! Cycle of life ;)

Tisiloves
July 6th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Haha, how old is she?

I'm glad it got fixed ok, the last time I did a chop job on my own hair I ended up with a 1/2" fringe.

Rufflebutt
July 6th, 2012, 10:18 AM
XD Oh dear! Well, she's young and her hair will grow back.

RitaCeleste
July 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah! I'm glad she is having fun with her hair. She wants a gothy haircut next time. She's watching Youtube to learn how to style the cuts she wants. God knows I've forgotten how to style anything. I was always sad after a cut at some point but she doesn't seem to have this hang up at all. She tried for a bit, but I made sure to tell her how beautiful her hair was and how great it will be not to fight those tangles! I so don't want her feel like she has to grow hair to please other people. Its her head, which is why I stuck my head under a pillow as she chopped it off. :o

spidermom
July 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Good for her; the decisive type sounds like.

My DD did the give herself a haircut thing when she was about 2. I finished it by giving her a short pixie. She looked adorable.

My granddaughter (age 10) wants extra-long hair like grandma, but she leaves it in a matted ponytail most of the time. Then she brushes it out so that it's not in the best condition. The last time I tried to have a talk with her about hair care, she cried. She said she was doing the best that she could. I wish she'd decide to have it cut.

Bene
July 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Ok, so I plan to stay a long hair for the rest of my life. BUT, I have never wanted a pixie cut as much as I do at this very moment.

Your kid is a rockstar!

RitaCeleste
July 6th, 2012, 10:28 AM
My daughter is ten. We've done treatments and she's wore the bag on her head to deep condition it. She is harsh with a brush. I use one with a pad that pulls out if you yank on your hair too hard. I could hear fine hairs snapping when she favored a brush she could yank with. She'd hold her hair so it didn't pull it out at the roots and she's abuse it with a brush! She loved all her anime hair styles so I thought she'd keep it. But no she really did chop it.

Kaelee
July 6th, 2012, 10:39 AM
My daughter is ten. We've done treatments and she's wore the bag on her head to deep condition it. She is harsh with a brush. I use one with a pad that pulls out if you yank on your hair too hard. I could hear fine hairs snapping when she favored a brush she could yank with. She'd hold her hair so it didn't pull it out at the roots and she's abuse it with a brush! She loved all her anime hair styles so I thought she'd keep it. But no she really did chop it.

Your kid is awesome!!! Let her experiment in her younger years, I wish I had.

She might like a tangle teezer or (my favorite...I don't brush anymore!) a wide toothed comb with a long handle. :D

BrightEyes
July 6th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Good for her and kudos to you for letting her have the haircut that she wants:)

My DD5 likes her hair cut in a short bob. She went through a short phase when she wanted long Rapunzel hair. But it didn't last long, her hair gets horrible tangles that she hates combing out. So I let her keep it short and she is happy. She does look adorable with her little bob cut.

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
She sounds like a fiery girl. One who knows what she wants isn't afraid to go after it.

petali
July 6th, 2012, 11:34 AM
When I was 5 years old,I was experimenting with scissors, and decided to chop my hair off. It was a disaster. My parents brought me to a hair dresser so they could fix up my hair. I didn't regret it until people started mistaking me for a boy.

bunzfan
July 6th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I did the same at 11 but my hair probably wasn't as long as hers . Hope she continues to enjoy her hair.

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I remember when my daughter was 4 and cut her waist plus hair to neck length. I walked int her room and saw the decorating scissors on her floor, with a path of hair. She was just peeping her head out of the quilt and I said " where's this hair come from?" I obviously knew where from but was just so gob smacked and she replied " I don't know where that came from" followed by a " I think I made a mistake!" we laugh about it now but she ended up with a very short pixie complete with crown tiffs lol! I cut a mullet in once too, she must take after me!
At least your daughter isn't upset about it and appears to have quite a little character, good for her!

Ephemeral
July 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
My 18 y.o. step-daughter had never cut her hair and it was classic length, dark blonde with natural gold highlights. She also took her pony tail and chopped it off (she wanted me to do it but I couldn't bring myself to mutilate it). Then she dyed it black with purple streaks. Three years later and it's still chin length and goth.

I'm glad she had a good experience at the hair dresser!!

Tia2010
July 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Kids are fearless :)

My son went from MBL to a faux-hawk in an instant. I was sad..he wasn't :D

I hope she enjoys her new hair!

brave
July 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I went from probably APL-ish to a very short pixie when I was around 10/11. I loved it until I realized how awful it looked on me. I think I was inspired by a book but I forget which.

I don't remember my mom being upset about that, she was as sick of my hair as I was, but she was upset when I dyed it all purple.

embee
July 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
You're a good mom! *My* mom would have knocked me into next week if I'd cut off my ponytail.

When I was about 3 or 4 I cut my own bangs during nap time - she was so angry she slapped me in the face and I took the scissors and stabbed her and cut her. Oh we were a loving pair! :D

RitaCeleste
July 6th, 2012, 03:29 PM
YIKES! My mom use to slap me when I mouthed off at her. I always took that for the warning that it was. (Shut-up or your behind is NEXT!) Lots of people would say my mom was abusive these days. My behind is eternally grateful that my mom gave me the warning shot instead of what I had earned myself.

prettykitty
July 6th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Gotta love a strong girl who knows what she wants! A force to be reckoned with in years to come, I bet :)

Sassy9226
July 6th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I tried this once. But I only got off I chunk in the front and my mom turned it into bangs. I bawled after I realized I couldn't put it back on.

JamieLeigh
July 6th, 2012, 08:55 PM
My DD6 wasn't really WANTING to have her hair cut off when she was 3...but she did end up letting her older brother (then 4) cut it to her ears. I have to admit that once I got over being angry and took her to the salon to get it shaped up, she looked really cute with a pixie! She's got a very elfin face, with a pointy chin and high cheekbones. :D

My DD10 can't decide what she wants, lol. Most days she wants to grow it to the floor, other days, she wants to get it cut really short again. It's at waist now, and it's super-thick and curly. I can't really blame her for wanting to cut it sometimes. :flower:

spirals
July 7th, 2012, 12:01 AM
I never cut my hair as a kid (though I do now) but once I gave my doll layers --by holding her hair straight up and slicing straight across, lol--and my mom was sooo mad. I still like layers.