PDA

View Full Version : Citric acid rinses

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 09:05 AM
So I purchased some citric acid powder online and did a rinse today with just a tea spoons worth in 600mls of warm water, the results are lovely shiny hair. Just wondering if doing this after every wash would be damaging ? And is my ratio a good one? My hair felt better but just thinking long term.

I do normally use white vinegar but the smell is a bit nauseating at times and acv in the past has added red hues to my hair, which I don't want, just in case any of you are wondering why I chose citric acid, I take it, it won't add no red to my hair?
TIA

bunzfan
July 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
So I purchased some citric acid powder online and did a rinse today with just a tea spoons worth in 600mls of warm water, the results are lovely shiny hair. Just wondering if doing this after every wash would be damaging ? And is my ratio a good one? My hair felt better but just thinking long term.

I do normally use white vinegar but the smell is a bit nauseating at times and acv in the past has added red hues to my hair, which I don't want, just in case any of you are wondering why I chose citric acid, I take it, it won't add no red to my hair?
TIA

Will be watching this Jojo as i do white vinegar rinses to and they make me feel slightly sick to glad i'm not the only one :popcorn:

goldloli
July 6th, 2012, 09:27 AM
*lurks thread*

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Will be watching this Jojo as i do white vinegar rinses to and they make me feel slightly sick to glad i'm not the only one :popcorn:

Yeah your not the only one, the citric acid powder is very cheap on amazon and should last me ages as I use so little. I liked acv the smell isn't quite as nauseating but as I said I don't want any darkening or reddening to my hair,mplus the citric acid leaves no smell at all, just be careful you don't get any in your eyes, it hurts!

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 09:34 AM
*lurks thread*

Don't seem to hear many who use the powder, hopefully somebody will chirp in and advise us!

Deborah
July 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I much prefer using citric acid compared to any type of vinegar. There's absolutely no smell, and it works at least as well. As a very last thing rinse, I use about 3/4 teaspoon shaken well into a quart of very cold water. Since I have very hard water, I do not rinse it out. This works great for me.

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM
1 quart is a litre yeah? Didn't know you didn't have to rinse, will try that next wash and with less citric acid in, it turned out good this time but I don't want to push it with using more than need be, thanks for your input x

Tabitha
July 6th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I did have some citric acid but "lost" it when I had a rare tidy-up a while ago. It's lurking there somewhere.

The last couple of washes I've used a pint of Brita filtered water with 1/8 teaspoon Holland & Barrett vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid - a chelator) plus 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar (I always have plenty as I use it instead of fabric softener in the washing machine).

My hair has felt really silky and shiny afterwards, and I normally find shine difficult to achieve.

There is a slight smell of vinegar at the time of rinsing, plus a metallic whiff from the vit C chelating the iron in our water, I think (limescale goes pale orange). But once the hair is dry, no smell at all.

I'm so happy with this that I plan to keep doing it every wash. London water is horrible, hard and chlorine-y.

goldloli
July 6th, 2012, 03:14 PM
1 quart is a litre yeah? Didn't know you didn't have to rinse, will try that next wash and with less citric acid in, it turned out good this time but I don't want to push it with using more than need be, thanks for your input x

wait, so this doesnt dry hair if left in like lemon rinse?

oooo :disco:

jeanniet
July 6th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I've been using citric acid rinses after every wash for over two years now to combat the effects of my hard well water. CA rinses can be very mild and very effective, but your solution was really strong and I honestly don't know what would happen if you kept up with that strength. It sounds like your hair needed a good chelating, though, so probably no harm done with one try. I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.

lilliemer
July 6th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I've been using citric acid rinses after every wash for over two years now to combat the effects of my hard well water. CA rinses can be very mild and very effective, but your solution was really strong and I honestly don't know what would happen if you kept up with that strength. It sounds like your hair needed a good chelating, though, so probably no harm done with one try. I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.

Would one expect any different results with citric acid compared to a lemon juice rinse?

Deborah
July 6th, 2012, 08:18 PM
wait, so this doesnt dry hair if left in like lemon rinse?

oooo

No. It does not dry my hair at all.

Deborah
July 6th, 2012, 08:22 PM
...I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.

I have used the citric acid rinse for a couple of years now too. I find 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon in a quart if icy water works best for me. It's not too strong at all. It leaves my hair feeling as though I had used conditioner, but I don't use any. Weaker than that doesn't do anything for my hair.

lmfbs
July 7th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I haven't heard of ACV leaving a reddish tint. I guess my hair is too dark for it to show up in.

jojo
July 7th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I haven't heard of ACV leaving a reddish tint. I guess my hair is too dark for it to show up in.

I know when my hair was all virgin it made my hair get redder hues after a while, though I like how soft it makes my hair. The citric acid is the best I've tried, my hair is naturally soft anyway but this even softened my sliver streak and no strangely no sticky up hairs, I'm in love:disco:

jeanniet
July 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM
I have used the citric acid rinse for a couple of years now too. I find 1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon in a quart if icy water works best for me. It's not too strong at all. It leaves my hair feeling as though I had used conditioner, but I don't use any. Weaker than that doesn't do anything for my hair.

There is no way I'm pouring icy water on my head! I've just never had a need to make the concentration stronger, so I don't. It keeps my hair clean enough that I only bother clarifying a few times a year. Usually I go months without clarifying.

lmfbs
July 7th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I know when my hair was all virgin it made my hair get redder hues after a while, though I like how soft it makes my hair. The citric acid is the best I've tried, my hair is naturally soft anyway but this even softened my sliver streak and no strangely no sticky up hairs, I'm in love:disco:

Guess I'm picking some up at the supermarket tomorrow! Thanks

Siiri
July 7th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I use citric acid rinse as the final rinse after every wash. I don't rinse it out. I use about 1/20th of a teaspoon of citric acid to 1 litre of tap water. I measured the pH of the solution with pH paper (which unfortunately isn't very exact), it's about 5, which is supposed to be good for hair and skin. The tap water here has pH of about 8,5. I guess how much citric acid you need would depend on the water you're using, but I would start with well diluted rinses to be safe.

Someone asked about lemon rinses - lemon rinse has sugar and vitamin C as well as citric acid. The sugar is supposed to give better curl/wave definition.

Neecola
July 7th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I use 1/4 teaspoon in a gallon of water for a final rinse, and that seems strong enough to keep my hair feeling good.

This is what I use as well. I believe it is the Miracle Water recipe from the old LHC. I use distilled water because our well water is very hard and I don't rinse it out. Has worked very well for me.

jeanniet
July 7th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, it's the Miracle Water recipe. That's what I used as a starting point, and I've stayed with that ratio because it's working just fine. London water is much harder than mine, although it may not have all the minerals we do (in addition to the calcium carbonate, that is). I haven't done too much research online, but it might be possible to find a formula for the concentration you'd need based on the hardness of your water. Citric acid seems to be a pretty common chelator.

Wildcat Diva
July 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
All this info is very helpful to me. Thank you ladies for sharing your recipe/ ratios. I don't use tap water on my hair. I use filtered water I am able to buy for 20 cents a gallon/refill jug. Less than a gallon washes and rinses my hair as I use several sports top bottles filled and a clean dish pan to catch the water and dump twice over. Also mermaid rinse the ends with catnip or whatever rinse I use.

Would citric acid still be of benefit even though the water I use is filtered? Like it would soften and shine like an ACV rinse, do I understand right?

jojo
July 7th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all your replies, strangely normally my hair starting to get greasy the day after I've washed, it looks like freshly washed hair too. Wonder if this is a good rinse for other greasies? I am not really used to greasy hair as my hair is normally, normal but for some reason is getting greasy like when I was a teenager again, hormone may be causing it?

jeanniet
July 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
All this info is very helpful to me. Thank you ladies for sharing your recipe/ ratios. I don't use tap water on my hair. I use filtered water I am able to buy for 20 cents a gallon/refill jug. Less than a gallon washes and rinses my hair as I use several sports top bottles filled and a clean dish pan to catch the water and dump twice over. Also mermaid rinse the ends with catnip or whatever rinse I use.

Would citric acid still be of benefit even though the water I use is filtered? Like it would soften and shine like an ACV rinse, do I understand right?
I don't really know, but it wouldn't hurt to try and see what happens. Using filtered water is ideal, but with my hair length it would take more than a gallon and be something of a pain, so the citric acid is a good second.

dollyfish
July 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM

This sounds too good to be true. Time to buy citric acid...

StPaulaGirl
July 7th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks for all your replies, strangely normally my hair starting to get greasy the day after I've washed, it looks like freshly washed hair too. Wonder if this is a good rinse for other greasies? I am not really used to greasy hair as my hair is normally, normal but for some reason is getting greasy like when I was a teenager again, hormone may be causing it?

My hair feels more greasy the day after a wash too, so I'm definitely going to be trying this!

jojo
July 7th, 2012, 07:50 PM
This sounds too good to be true. Time to buy citric acid...
I know! I hope it's not just a one use wonder, excellent results with it, similar but different to vinegar. Another strange thing if I can explain this right, when I run my fingers down my hair it's very smooth and it's hard to run them the opposite way, almost as if the hair shingles ( is that the word, like tiles on a roof or scales on a fish) have all been re-arranged in a downwards fashion, does that make sense at all?

My hair feels more greasy the day after a wash too, so I'm definitely going to be trying this!
This is a new thing to me but it improves it, maybe dries it up but not to a point that your hair is dry!

Siiri
July 8th, 2012, 02:30 AM

I use citric acid mainly to lower the pH of my water, the water here is actually soft and doesn't have a lot of metals. Acid is supposed to make the cuticles close, so I like to use it after washing with alkaline tap water.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 09:27 AM
The water in my area is very soft and I just use tap water, day 3 and still not greasy this is a keeper for me!

Wildcat Diva
July 9th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I don't really know, but it wouldn't hurt to try and see what happens. Using filtered water is ideal, but with my hair length it would take more than a gallon and be something of a pain, so the citric acid is a good second.

Thanks so much for answering my question

I use citric acid mainly to lower the pH of my water, the water here is actually soft and doesn't have a lot of metals. Acid is supposed to make the cuticles close, so I like to use it after washing with alkaline tap water.

And thank you, too.

I tried this today. LOL I didn't want to wait for Amazon and was thinking where can I get this. I didn't see it in Walmart, but I looked in the health food section which was probably wrong.

Then while at Kroger's I thought let's try the dishwasher detergent aisle, since that's a use for citric acid too.

I found a product "Lemi Shine Original: removes tough spots & film"
and after reading the label carefully figured that it's pretty much citric acid and I should take a shot. Less than $4 for 12 oz, which I was okay with. Checked the website for ingredients which generally said "real fruit acids and natural citrus oils." I called customer service to make sure there wasn't anything else. The lady said at first: "all I can tell you is it's made from natural fruit acids." When I told her I was about to use it on my hair, she lowered her voice (ha) and whispered that I was right, it was safe to use with no other chemicals or phosphates, you can ingest the stuff.

I said "Thanks!"

CurlyCurves
July 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
*lurks in the shadows*:demon:

jojo
July 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Anybody tried? It also brings my long lost waves back just another thought! I know bunzie was after reviving her hair of its waves. A keeper for me and much cheaper than vinegar!

StPaulaGirl
July 15th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I finally got around to purchasing some today. My next wash day is Tuesday, so I'll try it out then and report back!

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'm doing this. Like it a lot. Trying to not use ACV cause I found out that ACV might redden my hair.

Libbylou
July 15th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Now you guys have me wanting to try this. The ACV still smells when I sweat at work so that does not work.
In my small local grocer citric acid is with the canning products. I live in a farming area, so these things are plentiful. It's only like $3. It's worth a try at that price. Oh, almost forgot, how much would you use in an aquafina bottle 16oz?

Wildcat Diva
July 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Now you guys have me wanting to try this. The ACV still smells when I sweat at work so that does not work.
In my small local grocer citric acid is with the canning products. I live in a farming area, so these things are plentiful. It's only like $3. It's worth a try at that price. Oh, almost forgot, how much would you use in an aquafina bottle 16oz?
I would mix it up in a gallon jug then pour into your dispensing bottle. 1/4 teaspoon to the gallon, right?

cecemutt
July 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I had never heard of this before until I read about it on the co-washing thread.
It sounds like this is what my hair is needing right now.
Thanks for this recipe!!!

Is this the correct stuff?
http://www.amazon.com/Citric-Acid-100%25-Pure-oz/dp/B0014UCJ8Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342728844&sr=8-4&keywords=citric+acid

Also - no need to rinse it off right?
(Citric Acid rinse IS the final rinse?)

I do have my hair colored(I am a closet silver for now).
Will it affect the color?

Zesty
July 19th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm watching this thread with interest as well. I've started doing white vinegar or ACV rinses and I LOVE them but others don't love the smell. Does anyone know if citric acid rinses are supposed to have the same benefits for the scalp as vinegar?

afu
July 19th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I use diliuted lemon juice as my final rinse (I don't wash it off, seems counterproductive) and it is the only thing that helps me stretch washes. It doesn't leave my hair feeling dried out at all. I put about a teaspoon in a mug and fill with cold water. Recently i've been forgetting to do this (as I keep the lemon juice in the fridge and often remember only when im in the shower) but i'll have to get back on it

A question on the miracle water topic: is diliuted lemon juice almost miracle water, seeing as it contains the acid as well as vitamin C?

spirals
July 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM
I figure it this way: vinegar is about 5% acid. My hair likes that. I'm going to make a 5% citric acid solution and use that instead of vinegar. I bought a cute spouted vinegar bottle at the dollar store to keep it in. I think the bottle is 8 ounces, so I need to put 2 teaspoons of ca into it and fill with water. I'll use 2 to 3 tablespoons of that diluted with water.

SilverMcFly17
July 19th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Anyone tried Lemi Shine? I already have that handy for my dishwasher.

Nevermind. I found the information I needed. http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/18/whats-in-lemi-shine/

But this does look like it's ph2.3 I don't know how ph levels work. Would this work at all? Would doubling the amount in the same amount of water work?

jeanniet
July 19th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I had never heard of this before until I read about it on the co-washing thread.
It sounds like this is what my hair is needing right now.
Thanks for this recipe!!!

Is this the correct stuff?
http://www.amazon.com/Citric-Acid-100%25-Pure-oz/dp/B0014UCJ8Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342728844&sr=8-4&keywords=citric+acid

Also - no need to rinse it off right?
(Citric Acid rinse IS the final rinse?)

I do have my hair colored(I am a closet silver for now).
Will it affect the color?

Yes, that's the right one. I buy about 10 lbs. of it at a time, though (I use it for things other than just my hair)! You don't need to rinse it out, and it shouldn't affect your color. I used it with henna and with Elumen, and it didn't affect anything.

cecemutt
July 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Thanks so much Jeanniet! :)
I am going to purchase it now.

I use Goldwell permanent color on my white roots. Different than Elumen, but by the same company so it probably be fine like your results.
I am thinking of trying Elumen on my roots because it will be more gentle on my hair. PLUS I am thinking of going natural (joining the renegray gang) and using Elumen will be a better choice for blending in the white as opposed to having a skunk mark like I have now! lol

I will let everyone know how the citric acid rinse works out on my hair type as well as how it works on permanent hair color.. :)

Wildcat Diva
July 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Good Luck to you! Follow the ratio for the citric acid to water that these nice ladies have provided and you'll fare well, I believe.

About the grays, well, my hairline on the right side of my forehead is showing a couple more silvers, now. I'm just starting to get a few, gonna let them shine. For now anyway.

It's not worth the trouble to color for me.

cecemutt
July 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks Wildcat Diva. :)
I will follow and report back.

Yes, coloring is a real pain. I have been doing it since the age 19. First just the bang area and then it slowly spread over my entire head. I do believe I am somewhere in the 80% white range now.
(and it is shiny platinum white so it makes it harder to grow out since I am a brunette - sticks out like a lighthouse when the roots start showing - uugg)

I thank all of you so much for all of your wonderful helpful posts…. I LOVE this place!!!!
Hopefully one day I can be of help to others as well!
:)

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Jojo had mentioned in another thread that she thought that citric acid could lighten hair. This really got me worried, because I don't want that. Does anyone have any info on this, whether or not this is so? I use the heck out of this stuff now to rinse, in the proper dilution, and I don't wash it out. I DO NOT want to lighten my hair.

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Anyone tried Lemi Shine? I already have that handy for my dishwasher.

Nevermind. I found the information I needed. http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/18/whats-in-lemi-shine/

But this does look like it's ph2.3 I don't know how ph levels work. Would this work at all? Would doubling the amount in the same amount of water work?

Wow, I never knew there was such secrecy in this product. Read my post about this in the third page of this thread about my calling customer service. A representative said it's safe. I've been using it no problem.

jojo
July 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Jojo had mentioned in another thread that she thought that citric acid could lighten hair. This really got me worried, because I don't want that. Does anyone have any info on this, whether or not this is so? I use the heck out of this stuff now to rinse, in the proper dilution, and I don't wash it out. I DO NOT want to lighten my hair.

I. Think if you mixed CA with say conditioner or added it to a spray bottle with water I'd think it would, it would dry hair out though the spray on method. With using a pinch in a rise your safe though I'd think.

I use just a pinch, really liking these rinses, they appear to deal the hair shaft down better than ACV

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
I. Think if you mixed CA with say conditioner or added it to a spray bottle with water I'd think it would, it would dry hair out though the spray on method. With using a pinch in a rise your safe though I'd think.

I use just a pinch, really liking these rinses, they appear to deal the hair shaft down better than ACV

Thank you for answering me. I am not worried about it drying out my hair at all, because in my experiences, it has not done that, and I moisturize my hair very well. It is the lightening hair color part of the comment made about CA in the "tomato juice for lightening" thread that caught my attention. I love CA rinses too, and I stick to the 1/4 tsp to the gallon ratio. My hair is shiny and soft.

I just want my color to stay the way it is.

jojo
July 22nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
No worries, I love the rinses too the a keeper for me. I tried the not rinsing out method, really nice too!

jeanniet
July 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
In twoish years of using CA every wash (leave in rinse), I haven't seen any lightening of my hair, colored or not.

Wildcat Diva
July 22nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
Thank you for your feedback on this.

Vivalagina
July 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I was finally able to try this tonight! (Who knew that finding a simple thing like citric acid would be so incredibly difficult to find at a local store?) I used 1/8 tsp to 3 pints of distilled water as a final leave in rinse after using a diluted sulfate-free shampoo and silicone free rinse out conditioner. My hair was its usually gnarly self getting out of the shower. However, once it started to dry and I began the long, delicate finger-combing operation, I noticed that it was feeling absolutely silky. And fluffy. And I just looked in the mirror and it looks as great as it feels. Best hair tip I have ever tried, bar none, and all that driving around to find that elusive little bottle was so worth it.

Arya
July 24th, 2012, 09:12 PM
So I've been leaving CA and water in a spritzer bottle in the shower. DBF sprays it on his scalp when he gets out. It's cut down IMMENSELY on his dandruff/red/dry scalp. I spray it all over very wet hair and make sure I can feel it all over my scalp. The only issue we have is arguing over the strength. He likes it REALLY strong (like lemon juice) and I like it weaker (like lemon flavoured water). Any chance using it at that strength could hurt? He says he feels like it works a lot better when it's at lemon juice strength.

jeanniet
July 24th, 2012, 09:19 PM
It might dry his hair out, but I think he'll know if it's a problem before it causes any lasting damage. It's really helped my scalp, too.

I forgot to mention that I very rarely have to clarify, and I think it's because of the rinses. I only clarify a few times a year--the last time was at least a couple of months ago.

Arya
July 25th, 2012, 01:23 AM
It might dry his hair out, but I think he'll know if it's a problem before it causes any lasting damage. It's really helped my scalp, too.

I forgot to mention that I very rarely have to clarify, and I think it's because of the rinses. I only clarify a few times a year--the last time was at least a couple of months ago.

He shaves his head once a month, so I doubt he'll notice any damage to his hair. I was thinking more specifically about his scalp?

Wildcat Diva
July 25th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Well, I would think that he would notice any skin irritation and then he could tinker with the dilution. You can ingest this stuff of course, so I wouldn't be too worried to experiment with what works for your situation. You know, I mean that it's safe for your body generally, so a little stronger shouldn't be that much of a concern.

You might have to make your own dilution that works better for your hair.

I am going to use it today for a WO rinse. I am so pleased with how it's working out for my hair.

SilverMcFly17
July 26th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Wow, I never knew there was such secrecy in this product. Read my post about this in the third page of this thread about my calling customer service. A representative said it's safe. I've been using it no problem.

Wow, your reply got lost in my e mails. I didn't even realize you replied. Thanks so much. I dt two days ago and did an egg treatment last night. I'm on the fence about tonight.. To leave it alone or to do the Lemi Shine.

Honestly I'm all sorts of excited :cheese: that someone else on here has been using it with great results and I'm not sure I'll be able to restrain myself tonight.

Aliped
July 26th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I don't want any darkening or reddening to my hair

Have you tried diluted lemon juice? It can be a little drying, but it smells lovely.

Libbylou
July 26th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Vivalagina, this surprises me that you had such a terrible time finding ca. I found mine in the canning supplies at the local grocer.

Vivalagina
July 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I found it very surprising as well, Libbylou. I live pretty close to a lot of farms, so I thought most stores would carry it. I thought for sure at least one of the stores I normally shop at would have it, but even the store people couldn't find it. They just had pre-flavored canning seasonings, no basic citric acid. Thankfully there's a Natural Grocers across town that had it in their canning section, so at least I know where to find it from now on. On the bright side, I feel like I know several grocery store's canning, cleaning, and health food selections pretty well now! lol

Wildcat Diva
July 26th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I finally looked in the right spot at Walmart and found it with the canning section by the pots and pans and spatulas. I, however ordered five pounds for $20 from Amazon. Also I will continue to use up my LemiShine that I got in the dishwasher detergent aisle at Krogers.

antikythera
July 26th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I am guessing that fresh lemon juice would work for this as well? Any chance anyone could advise on a dilution ratio? For my ACV rinses I use 1Tbls to 1cup of water...

Wildcat Diva
July 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Many people do lemon juice rinses, and I have before as well. I didn't measure very well unfortunately.

Loviatar
July 28th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Can anyone who isn't a klutz with math help me out? :lol:

I normally use ACV 30ml plus lemon or lime juice 30ml, in 900ml water. But I would rather try the citric acid powder. My bottle is a litre bottle and I have no gallon jugs. I also have VERY hard water - London. Can anyone help with how much CA I should be using in my litre bottle please?

In2wishin
July 28th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I was finally able to try this tonight! (Who knew that finding a simple thing like citric acid would be so incredibly difficult to find at a local store?) I used 1/8 tsp to 3 pints of distilled water as a final leave in rinse after using a diluted sulfate-free shampoo and silicone free rinse out conditioner. My hair was its usually gnarly self getting out of the shower. However, once it started to dry and I began the long, delicate finger-combing operation, I noticed that it was feeling absolutely silky. And fluffy. And I just looked in the mirror and it looks as great as it feels. Best hair tip I have ever tried, bar none, and all that driving around to find that elusive little bottle was so worth it.

An easy place to find it is any store that sells wine and beer making supplies, since it is used to increase the acidity of wine. It is also often found in the kosher food section of a grocery although there it is often called sour salt.

Ice Fox
July 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I did have some citric acid but "lost" it when I had a rare tidy-up a while ago. It's lurking there somewhere.

The last couple of washes I've used a pint of Brita filtered water with 1/8 teaspoon Holland & Barrett vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid - a chelator) plus 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar (I always have plenty as I use it instead of fabric softener in the washing machine).

My hair has felt really silky and shiny afterwards, and I normally find shine difficult to achieve.

There is a slight smell of vinegar at the time of rinsing, plus a metallic whiff from the vit C chelating the iron in our water, I think (limescale goes pale orange). But once the hair is dry, no smell at all.

I'm so happy with this that I plan to keep doing it every wash. London water is horrible, hard and chlorine-y.

Hmm - interesting. I'm a bit south of you (north Kent) and my water is the same, so I'm hoping (all other things being equal) that a similar routine will work for me. Shall get myself to H&B - it has to be worth a try.

Wildcat Diva
July 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM

I normally use ACV 30ml plus lemon or lime juice 30ml, in 900ml water. But I would rather try the citric acid powder. My bottle is a litre bottle and I have no gallon jugs. I also have VERY hard water - London. Can anyone help with how much CA I should be using in my litre bottle please?

Well it looks like 3.7 liters to one gallon.

I don't think that the measurement of the CA needs to be very exact. For VERY hard water, I might like to use a stronger dilution.

so less than 1/8 of a teaspoon to a liter of water would make a mix on the stronger side. 1/32??? I would think this would be fine, within the realm of normal. I do not think precise measurement is necessary, you can use a 1/8 of a teaspoon and just don't fill it all the way. Not a very scientific answer.
Hope that helps.

Deborah
July 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I use about 3/4 teaspoon shaken well into a quart of very cold water. I use this as my last rinse, and do not rinse it out. It does not dry my hair, nor does it lighten it in the least. I'm a brunette, so I think I would notice any lightening effect.

I also use it for CO washing by adding a teaspoon into 1/4 cup conditioner and 1/2 cup pretty hot water. I just shake it together well and CO wash. It works wonderfully well! It cleans better for me, and I use less conditioner this way as well.

So, actually, I just use cheapie conditioner and citric acid on my hair, nothing else at all. :)

jeanniet
July 28th, 2012, 02:49 PM

I think London water must be the worst. Well, I use the 1/4 tsp. per gallon ratio (actually the container I have now is 1/2 gallon, so I'm using 1/8 tsp.), and that's not very strong. I would start with about half of a 1/8 tsp. measure, if you have such a thing. If not, a decent pinch will be close enough. You can taste it and see if it's slightly sour, and that's about right to start with.

spirals
July 28th, 2012, 08:17 PM

I normally use ACV 30ml plus lemon or lime juice 30ml, in 900ml water. But I would rather try the citric acid powder. My bottle is a litre bottle and I have no gallon jugs. I also have VERY hard water - London. Can anyone help with how much CA I should be using in my litre bottle please?Make a solution of water and ca and use it like you 60 ml of it in your bottle. It needs to be a 5% solution, which is roughly the same as lemon juice or vinegar. But I'm not familiar with metric. I get that a deciliter (100 milliliters--is that right?) of water would need 5ml of the powder, but does one even measure powder in mls? That's where I get confused.

MinderMutsig
July 29th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Make a solution of water and ca and use it like you 60 ml of it in your bottle. It needs to be a 5% solution, which is roughly the same as lemon juice or vinegar. But I'm not familiar with metric. I get that a deciliter (100 milliliters--is that right?) of water would need 5ml of the powder, but does one even measure powder in mls? That's where I get confused.

Milliliters is a volume measurement, just like for instance cups are. So all you need is a 5ml container to measure. Generally teaspoons are 5ml and tablespoons are 15ml so measuring shouldn't be that hard. :)

spirals
August 20th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Oh, I should have mentioned I'm in the states and working with standard measures--cups and pints and quarts. I did find out a teaspoon is close to 15ml.

Snorman
February 17th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Is citric acid rinses bleaching..? Lemon juice rinses can be, I've heard!

Weewah
February 17th, 2014, 04:33 AM

I wondered the same thing since I like lightening my hair, but I think with such a low dilution there won't be any lightening effect. With a really strong solution it might, But that would be damaging and defeat the purpose of a ca rinse anyways.

Itarillė
February 17th, 2014, 06:55 AM
As Weewah, i don't think a citric acid rinses will have a lightening effect.

Scarlet_Heart
February 17th, 2014, 08:14 AM
I did citric acid rinses in an effort to get some of my henna out. I did it two or three times over a summer. And oh man it made my hair stink so bad. I don't know why, but I'll never do it again. It stank for a week or two each time.

stachelbeere
February 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM

nope :) I've been doing acidic rinses for a good few months now every time I wash my hair and my hair is still the same

mamaherrera
August 9th, 2016, 01:25 AM
How do you guys get the acid rinse in and out without getting it in your face?? My face gets red and irritated with the stuff that comes down. HThe same with lemon rinses, how do you do it without getting it in your eyes??
And is it true??? Do citric acid rinses take henna out?? I don't want that.

Tosca
August 9th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Tip your head back?

Arctic
August 9th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Put the acidic water in a tall container and dip your hair in there. This would eliminate any contact with face and eyes.

school of fish
August 9th, 2016, 06:20 AM
How do you guys get the acid rinse in and out without getting it in your face?? My face gets red and irritated with the stuff that comes down. HThe same with lemon rinses, how do you do it without getting it in your eyes??
And is it true??? Do citric acid rinses take henna out?? I don't want that.

I do acidic rinses daily (they're EXTREMELY diluted - so diluted that I barely feel it even if it gets in my eyes!) and I've had no problem at all with the rinses pulling out my henna. I've also had no issue with the acid drying out my hair over time :) I've used lemon, acv, coffee and now I use citric acid and they've all worked equally well for me. I use mine as my final rinse, applied with a plastic squeeze bottle like the kind used for conventional hair dye. That allows me to direct the stream through my scalp and down my length/ends and to keep it off my face.

Years ago I had tried much more concentrated lemon rinses and indeed I got crunchiness, dryness and lightening of my henna - at the time I concluded that they were damaging but now that I'm using the appropriate 'dose' I've found them to be incredibly beneficial :D

As with everything, YMMV. I never would have thought that such a weak, and I mean *barely* acidic solution would work so well on my hair but it absolutely does for me! Others have had no success with acidic rinses - as always it's so very individual :)

pailin
August 9th, 2016, 06:43 AM
I'm using a weak rinse, and I specifically get the back of my head/nape of neck first,because I need to tip my head forward for that. Then I can tip my head back and get everything else and keep it out of my eyes.

Temme
August 9th, 2016, 07:41 AM
dollyfish, I clicked on your autism blog and realized I've heard of you before! I was diagnosed with ASD and my mom had shown me some videos you were in. It's a small internet!

samanthaa
August 9th, 2016, 08:03 AM
I thought lemon was only lightening if exposed to sunlight?

But anyway, as Arctic suggested, yes, a tall container works! I use a wide-brimmed mason jar, stick my length in there, swish it around for 20-30 seconds, and then tip my head back and pour the rest from the jar through my scalp. When I move apartments in a few weeks, my plan is to keep a few of these mason jars in the shower (I'll unfortunately have a stall with an overhead rack), pre-mixed with distilled water and citric acid powder. The reason I stopped doing acidic rinses for the past nine months was because I hated having to pre-mix them before a shower (and would often forget until I was already undressed).

Kaya
August 10th, 2016, 07:37 AM
I have a question or two. :o I'd like to try out a citric rinse, as I have it handy for household cleaning tasks.

The biggest jar I have available is a 3 cup mason jar, or for those familiar with other measurements: 800 ML or 24 oz. How much citric acid should I start with? I figure I can tweak it accordingly. The water here is hard enough to form limescale relatively easily.

Also, is it preferred to use filtered water, or can I just use regular tap water?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :flower:

samanthaa
August 10th, 2016, 08:25 AM
1/8 tsp is recommended for 32 oz (four cups), based on the Miracle Water recipe. Maybe use an 1/8 tsp measuring spoon but don't fill it up entirely?

If you're using CA to combat hard water, I'm guessing it'd probably be best to use filtered or distilled water. I plan to use distilled water so that my premixed rinse will stay stable for a week+ outside the fridge, but if I were using the rinse solely for softness/shine (not to combat hard water) and mixing it up right before my shower, I'd just use tap.

Deborah
August 10th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I put a heaping teaspoon of citric acid powder in 40 ounces of cold water and shake the heck out of it to mix it in very well. After washing with Indian herbs and thoroughly rinsing in the shower, I pour the whole plastic bottle over all of my hair and don't rinse it out. This leaves my hair very nice, shiny and soft. I have very hard water, and this is how I counteract it.

Kaya
August 14th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Well, I've tried out two rinses so far. The first was pretty weak; my hair felt slightly softer, but not by much. The second rinse was stronger, and my hair actually seemed noticeably softer. But I can't quite tell if it was because of the rinse, or the fact I did a heavy EVOO day. :D So I figured I'd leave off the rinse tonight and see what happens.

How often can you use a rinse? I CO-wash every night, so I don't want to damage my hair by using citric acid similarly. I'd rather not risk damage just for the sake of soft hair. (But then again, hard water doesn't seem to do my hair much good either...)

Decoy24601
August 17th, 2016, 02:14 PM
I just got some citric acid today and am going to try it :). ACV rinses didn't do anything if I washed them out (defeats the purpose) and I hated the smell when I left it on my hair. I'm going to try it after my normal CWC today.

wcamber
July 19th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I use Citric Acid rinse every time I shampoo and leave it in. There is no smell! There is no color change and my tangly wavy hair is easy to comb, silky and shiny. I do not use conditioner and I add a tiny amount of jojoba to my damp hair. My concentration is 1/16 th teaspoon CA in a litre of water. I arrived at this concentration by experiment trying to use the lowest concentration that would work. When I travel I sometimes need to use more CA. If I change shampoo I sometimes need to adjust as well.

meteor
July 19th, 2017, 06:11 PM
I just got some citric acid today and am going to try it :). ACV rinses didn't do anything if I washed them out (defeats the purpose) and I hated the smell when I left it on my hair. I'm going to try it after my normal CWC today.

I'm curious if it worked or not for you. :)

gustavonut
November 14th, 2017, 07:40 AM
I’m going to try a citric acid rinse on my next wash. (Not sure when.)
And I will post the results!

lapushka
November 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Good luck. I tried a lemon rinse (which is about the same) a few times, but it didn't make that much of a difference so I stopped doing that. Instead I do an oil rinse, which I *love*. :)

Stub
November 17th, 2017, 10:22 PM
I read this whole thread the other day, and then did a citric acid rinse last night after washing, since I had some CA anyway leftover from another project. This morning my hair was SOFT. I don't think I have ever in my adult life had soft hair! I kept touching it like, "what even IS this?!" haha. I used to do vinegar rinses regularly, and they helped with detangling but never made it soft. I like!

Shigure
March 2nd, 2019, 01:32 AM
Do you use CA rinse on your scalp? How your scalp react?