PDA

View Full Version : Okay, this is a problem I didn't se coming ;-)

W2
July 6th, 2012, 07:49 AM
My hair has gotten a length, where it gets caught under my arms. Never had hair this long ever before, so it's a new thing to me.
What happens as it gets longer? Will it stop? Or will I get used to it?

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I don't know I'd embrace it as a mile stone.

Demi-Plum
July 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM
It depends on what exactly you mean but caught under the arms. My hair is 35" and it literally will wrap spirals around my arms sometimes. It doesn't really bother me though I just gently release it and let it go on it's merry way. I don't usually get it caught under my armpits though, maybe it's just too long now, but it will get plastered to my sides when it's wet.
The biggest problem I have is that I'm terrified of bugs so I always jump when they land on me ect. My hair is so long now that it will randomly touch my forearm or something and I'll think it's a bug and it will scare me.
It's more than likely something you will have to learn how to deal with, but as it grows it will change what it does and might be less of an annoyance because the weight of it will help to pull it down.

Diamond.Eyes
July 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I have experienced this too. You will get used to it and your body and mind will learn to maneuver around it eventually. It took me a while, and I am still learning. I always get my hair stuck under my back when I lay down, which makes it hard to sit up :laugh:. Congratulations on reaching this length! :flower:

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Mine gets caught in my arms where they bend, I'm used to it now but it can be annoying!

goldloli
July 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM
ooo i have this problem too. i workout almost everyday and sometimes it gets caught in my armpits, which is just gross! it happens when in a pony tail or braids too.

pink.sara
July 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hahaha just got back to this delightful length myself.

I found personally after mid back/waist it lessens as the weight of hair tends to pull it down more... but right now at BSL-ish it's armpit time.

Bit of wind? Hide in the armpits. Putting a jacket on? Ends in the pits... etc :D

SpinDance
July 6th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Both, actually. Things like this are why many people with longer hair wear it up. :) You learn coping behaviors that become instinctive. At first those tickles on your arms scare you, then when the hair wraps completely around and you pull your own hair you learn to keep it together, swing it out of the way when doing things. Great milestone, though, congratulations!

Rufflebutt
July 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Since I've had pretty long hair my whole life, I've never really realized how many issues other people have with their hair.

Since until a month ago I wore my hair down almost 24/7, I have habits developed to prevent it that I don't even notice. Like moving my hair out of the way when I sit my back against a chair, moving my hair to one shoulder whenever I put my purse on the over shoulder, or simply brushing it back when needed.

The habits will form on their own and you won't even notice them after a while.

Rufflebutt
July 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I have experienced this too. You will get used to it and your body and mind will learn to maneuver around it eventually. It took me a while, and I am still learning. I always get my hair stuck under my back when I lay down, which makes it hard to sit up :laugh:. Congratulations on reaching this length! :flower: You explain it better than I do. XD Eventually your body will just get used to maneuvering around the hair so that it won't get too beat up.

W2
July 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I'm very thrilled, don't get me wrong! But I just need to get used to it.

I don't often wear it loose, only when going from one do to another and before and after showering. And off course as right now, where it's drying.

door72067
July 6th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I like when my hair tries to strangle me in my sleep

I expect this is from all the past indiscretions I performed on it

I usually sleep with a braid, but sometimes the braid bugs me so I leave it loose

heidi w.
July 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I went through that phase, and I got over it by allowing my hair to grow yet longer. I would suggest that as you grow longer, there are little tweaks one has to make such as how an updo is done has to be tweaked, you might need a new suite of updo choices if hair is too long to go into an updo that you're used to. It's true that at different lengths I've had to change how I do updos.

I am speaking of updo's because being that your hair now gets caught under your armpits, you are clearly now in the zone of needing to put your hair up to care for it best. There are lots of tutorials on updo creations online. I would suggest that you'll likely like Torrin Page's videos; they're pretty well explained and shown. There are updos one can do with hair sticks, with bobby pins, with creating the hair into a knot and it holds itself. I would suggest the easiest updo is to braid the hair and then bun it. It looks pretty and is very easy to do.

Anyway, know that the longer one gets, at various stages it's going to be normal to have new experiences, and that you'll more than likely have to tweak your how-to of how you both care for your hair and how you create a given updo.

By now you've had the hair in a buttcrack experience, and that is not a fun experience either. I now have long hairs on occasion get under the bed covers, and I have to fight the strand and somehow draw it out of my bed.

But life goes on.

heidi w.

heidi w.
July 6th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I like when my hair tries to strangle me in my sleep

I expect this is from all the past indiscretions I performed on it

I usually sleep with a braid, but sometimes the braid bugs me so I leave it loose

It's not karma. Hair has no feelings, although it sure does seem like it sometimes. My house will one day turn into a huge, hairy ball, and all kinds of birds will nest in it. LOL
It's gonna happen, I swear! LOL

heidi w.

winship2
July 6th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Dude, I know! I'm just saying farewell to BSL on the soul train to Waist. Gonna be glad when it neither gets stuck in my pits nor strangles me in my sleep. I still love it, but long hair is a bit more of a PITA than I had anticipated!

Amber_Maiden
July 6th, 2012, 08:12 PM
You'll get used to it ;)

Natalia
July 6th, 2012, 08:18 PM
you get used to it. mine is at classic now imagine getting caught in revolving or self locking doors! it can be a scary world for hair but oyu accomodate. now if i have my hair down i bring it over the opposite shoulder as my purse when going through doors or up escalators with those moving hand rails, hold the length when getting into the car or on windy days, ect.... after a while its second nature