PDA

View Full Version : Woman dies from hair extensions?

Long_hair_bear
July 6th, 2012, 05:54 AM
http://beautyhigh.com/woman-dies-from-extensions-is-fake-worth-it/ :confused:

Amethyste
July 6th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Hmmm... not sure what to think about this...
I have exensions. I should wait for the Reaper lol.

Demi-Plum
July 6th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I've never had extensions because I haven't had my hair actually cut since I was 5. I had thought once or twice half heartedly about getting some because I wanted my hair to be longer (I'm growing to classic), but they were just too much effort and money to be worth it.... and now that seals the deal. I'm not getting them >.> ever.

Fencai
July 6th, 2012, 06:28 AM
wow.... i know it seems a little out there, but people have died from using too much Bengay, or other athletic/sore muscle rubs for the same reason.
Their bodies just absorbed too much of the active chemical.

yikes

natural_shine
July 6th, 2012, 06:31 AM
LOL< look at the comments, this is hillarious

Guest says:
March 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Men get sick of seeing women with all sorts of fake bits stuck on them, tied round them and surgically stuffed into them. Plastic nails and breasts, yuk. These women who stick their clothes to themselves with tape look dreadful too. It is like saying I want to wear a really slutty outfit, without looking slutty so I am going to stick it to my skin, so it just about keeps my feigned modesty covered. Absurd and unnattractive. Integrity is more attractive than trickery.

OtterQueen says:
April 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm

If that were remotely true, then Pamela Anderson wouldn’t be fabulously wealthy.

Tristelle
July 6th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Okay... So that's terrifying lol.
Anyway, as much as I understand the desire for extensions, I think the journey to length is important too. Many women that get long extensions don't know what to do with the added length : it's too much, and too sudden.

(Besides, the idea of having the hair of other women on me would creep me out. Brr.)

natural_shine
July 6th, 2012, 06:37 AM
double LOL, get real, I doubt any of that story is real. Media always twists facts. Maybe she just fell and she happened to have hair extensions. Or any other explenation but that. Never believe what media serves you. This is really an obvious one...

Jing
July 6th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Gotta love journalist headlines. But I guess "Woman dies from an allergic reaction that was possibly caused by either the glue used to attach her hair extensions or the solvent used to remove old glue before said extensions were put in" is a bit long.

sparrowswing
July 6th, 2012, 06:40 AM
You know, if she's been using hair extensions for 14 years, what are the odds that she suddenly developed an allergy to the glue or solvent used to hold them on?

Granted, such things do change from time to time. And I can easily see 10-20 people per year in England having a severe allergic reaction to said glue and/or solvent, as stated by the "expert". It's a ridiculously small percentage, and the way it's stated is very nonspecific. But honestly, who would even bother to write an 8-sentence article in which every supporting statement includes the words "could have", and then make it sound this ominous?

It's fear-mongering based on a report that someone had an allergic reaction and one of the things they were recently exposed to just happened to be this glue. What about all the other things she was exposed to at the salon? What about the things she was exposed to between that salon visit and her arrival at the club where she met her fate?

Mesmerise
July 6th, 2012, 06:45 AM
You know, if she's been using hair extensions for 14 years, what are the odds that she suddenly developed an allergy to the glue or solvent used to hold them on?

Granted, such things do change from time to time. And I can easily see 10-20 people per year in England having a severe allergic reaction to said glue and/or solvent, as stated by the "expert". It's a ridiculously small percentage, and the way it's stated is very nonspecific. But honestly, who would even bother to write an 8-sentence article in which every supporting statement includes the words "could have", and then make it sound this ominous?

It's fear-mongering based on a report that someone had an allergic reaction and one of the things they were recently exposed to just happened to be this glue. What about all the other things she was exposed to at the salon? What about the things she was exposed to between that salon visit and her arrival at the club where she met her fate?

I did read about a girl who died after dyeing her hair, because she had developed a sensitivity to the chemicals in the hairdye over time (she'd used the same dye before with no ill effects), so yeah, it is possible that it can happen!

My question is: why would you use GLUED in extensions? Eww... I don't mind extensions, but I wouldn't use ones that were glued to my hair (I did have extensions some years ago... they were acrylic and sort of tied to the hair and then melted into place lol... sounds bad, but they could just be taken out, they weren't glued to the hair).

Personally, if I was going to wear extensions, I'd have the clip in ones ;).

Diamond.Eyes
July 6th, 2012, 06:49 AM
This seems sketchy to me. For one, the journalists grammar is very incorrect and confusing and how exactly does someone have an allergic reaction to a product they have been using for such a long period of time? I think it's just another "report" trying to make women feel afraid or guilty about wearing things like hair extensions, makeup, and other cosmetic procedures/enhancements. The media isn't always an honest source.

Dorothy
July 6th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I think people can develop allergies after longterm exposure to a substance. But I'm no doctor.
RE wearing other people's hair, Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair" is a fascinating exploration of both the cultural meaning of hair in the African American community, and the international trade in human hair, which involves a temple in India where people sacrefice their hair to a god, without knowing it will end up in someone's weave. It also involves hair theft - some folks evidently cut and take the hair of sleeping women. It was really interesting to me.

LaFlor
July 6th, 2012, 07:15 AM
The article says it could have taken hourse to seep into her blood after all that time perspiring in the club. So, there could be a lot of other possibilities, drugs, alcohol, some kind of stroke or something? Just saying, did they even do an autopsy or are they jusk speculating?!

I don't really believe this article is credible.

DragonLady
July 6th, 2012, 07:16 AM
People can develop allergies to any substance, at any time.

You use Product A once a week for 15 years, then suddenly one day Wham! you're suffering a full-on reaction.

Or you use Product B just twice -the first time you became sensitized, and the second time you react.

Or you use Product C just once, and you land in the hospital right away.

Or any one of a hundred other scenarios. There is no knowing when or under what circumstances something you know and trust will suddenly cause an allergy.

You're not safe from the possibility of a bad reaction to absolutely anything, no matter how many years you've been using it or how many generations of your family or countrymen have used it.

Amapola
July 6th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I have never used extensions, so maybe I'm confused. She glued these to her scalp? I don't understand how the glue got on her skin if she glued them to her hair. It seems to me she would not have too much exposure to the glue.

An aneurism or stroke, alcohol poisoning etc seems more likely a cause of death.

sparrowswing
July 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I didn't mean to imply that allergies can't develop. I just last year developed an allergy to one of my favorite foods. I know it can happen. But I find it far more likely that she was exposed to something else that caused her reaction, rather than had a long-delayed reaction to something she regularly dealt with.

The whole thing is full of incomplete circumstantial evidence tied together by a quote from some random person who may or may not have any clue what actually happened and popped off a similarly random number without even stating what that number means. You come out of the article thinking 10-20 women die every year because of the glue used to attach hair extensions, when in reality it could just be that many people have severe allergic reactions to salon chemicals, or anywhere in between.

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I've never thought they were worth it. I've never done it due to the high price and further more I think anything that's sown or glued into the hair.

Nae
July 6th, 2012, 08:23 AM
The journalism is so bad. That poor woman died of an allergy.

That would be like reading an article about someone with a shellfish allergy and having it say, "Woman killed by Shrimp!!"

Alvrodul
July 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM
This article is very sensationalist, and the fear-mongering does put me off. The basic premise, that she died of an allergic reaction to the glue, is quite plausible, though.

Long_hair_bear
July 6th, 2012, 08:45 AM

I ask myself the same thing about my shellfish allergy. I used to love popcorn shrimp! Then, one day, I was suddenly allergic...... :confused:

Long_hair_bear
July 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Oh I know the media is not always truthful, but I thought the article was bizarre, true or not. I'd only wear clip in extensions, if any at all.

piffyanne
July 6th, 2012, 08:56 AM
From the title, I assumed the stylist had clipped them in too tight, and the pressure on her scalp sent her into shock.

Or something.:run:

I live in fear (well, not FEAR, just vague worry) that I'll become allergic to shrimp. I only have them once a year, but they're such a very high favourite of mine that having to give them up would be heartbreaking.

Ligeia_13
July 6th, 2012, 09:04 AM
This seems sketchy to me. For one, the journalists grammar is very incorrect and confusing and how exactly does someone have an allergic reaction to a product they have been using for such a long period of time? I think it's just another "report" trying to make women feel afraid or guilty about wearing things like hair extensions, makeup, and other cosmetic procedures/enhancements. The media isn't always an honest source.

You never know, you don't necessarily have to have an allergy from birth :/ I used to take certain medication as a kid quite often when I got sick and then when I was 18 I had a severe allergic reaction to the same thing. :shrug:

Alexandriaweb
July 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
LOL< look at the comments, this is hillarious

Guest says:
March 31, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Men get sick of seeing women with all sorts of fake bits stuck on them, tied round them and surgically stuffed into them. Plastic nails and breasts, yuk. These women who stick their clothes to themselves with tape look dreadful too. It is like saying I want to wear a really slutty outfit, without looking slutty so I am going to stick it to my skin, so it just about keeps my feigned modesty covered. Absurd and unnattractive. Integrity is more attractive than trickery.

OtterQueen says:
April 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm

If that were remotely true, then Pamela Anderson wouldn’t be fabulously wealthy.

As a woman I get so sick of reading that kind of comment.
I don't know about anybody else but my hair and beauty routine isn't for TEH MENZ it's for me, this is how I like to look, piercings, green hair, "slutty outfit" and all!

Also the source for that post is the Daily Mail so I wouldn't be surprised if all or part of it isn't true.

palaeoqueen
July 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I think people can develop allergies after longterm exposure to a substance.

Yes this is totally possible.

This article is very sensationalist, and the fear-mongering does put me off. The basic premise, that she died of an allergic reaction to the glue, is quite plausible, though.

I agree.

Maverick494
July 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I call BS on this one. Do you guys have any idea how many black women use adhesive etc. for their weave/wig/extensions? Thousands if not more. I don't hear about them dropping dead.

Bene
July 6th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I call BS on this one. Do you guys have any idea how many black women use adhesive etc. for their weave/wig/extensions? Thousands if not more. I don't hear about them dropping dead.

Well, developing an allergic reaction is possible. Just because a million people eat Jello every single day, it doesn't mean that one person won't develop an allergy to Red Dye #40. Happened to a friend of mine. Ended up in the hospital with really bad swelling in the face, because they didn't know what the problem was, and while under observation, with the doctors scratching their heads over what could have caused this, the hospital served her red Jello.

So, thousands of black women use adhesives, doesn't mean that one of them won't develop an allergy. Doesn't mean that they should stop because of some health concern. Just means, this isn't necessarily BS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The article this is gleamed from has a title that's a bit more accurate Killed by her hair extensions: Woman dies after allergic reaction 'to glue in hairdo' as expert says he has seen four similar deaths in three months (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2095450/Atasha-Graham-dies-allergic-reaction-glue-hairdo-night-out.html). I suppose that makes more sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It says she collapsed. Maybe it was sudden and she didn't know she was sick? Hopefully, her final thoughts were "I look FABULOUS!" I don't think she looked fabulous, but I hope she thought she did.

Ambystoma
July 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I had to laugh reading this article - it's a fantastic case study of common cognitive biases and logical fallacies, namely Just World Phenomenon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_phenomenon, Availability heuristic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic, and that old chestnut - Correlation does not imply causation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/***_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc. There is a strongly implied moral judgement in both the article and the replies too, reminiscent of a fable or cautionary tale - a woman "cheats" her way to "beauty" and pays the price.Of course, it's entirely plausible that someone might develop an allergic reaction to a familiar substance seemingly out of the blue, it happens a lot. It's just the way the story was presented that needs work!

swearnsue
July 6th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Maybe the glue company "improved" their formula and she was allergic to the new chems. Or someone slipped her some poison in her drink. Or she had a heart attack. Or the music was really awful and she killed herself.

Amethyste
July 6th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I think she drank too much, and fell on her head.
Seriously? That's just an odd article.

Venefica
July 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
There have been people who have died from almost anything, like for example my teacher in Junior High who almost died the first time she ate paprika, she could end up in the hospital from eating french fries with paprika spice, it do not surprise me that someone might have a problem with cosmetic glue. That being said those glues are rather harsh, I am a bit skeptical of having such chemicals around me. I considered having a white stripe or two set into my hair, you know the kind of Mrs Munster stripe but this article did not exactly sway me in favor of doing so.

RitaCeleste
July 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Not everyone gets to live to the ripe old age of 100 and die peacefully in their sleep. On the bright side, her funeral pics will be to die for!!! (Okay, so here in the south we photograph people in the coffins. If the undertaker is worth anything, grandma will look lovely and very peaceful!) I'm betting more people suddenly die eating peanut butter than from glue. The lady was out clubbing not old and used up in an old folks home. Am I the only one who thinks dieing sooner isn't the most tragic thing that can happen to a person after all???

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Gotta love journalist headlines. But I guess "Woman dies from an allergic reaction that was possibly caused by either the glue used to attach her hair extensions or the solvent used to remove old glue before said extensions were put in" is a bit long.

This, lol.

Sensationalistic headlines for the win!

~maborosi~

Winnie!
July 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM
This was an interesting read. It should remind us that there is a risk associated with everything.

GlennaGirl
July 6th, 2012, 05:31 PM
That is horrible, but I don't like the insinuation behind "Is it worth it?" That insinuates that getting hair extensions can generally be considered a risky behavior that you're supposed to weigh and measure before putting your life on the line. That okay, if you want to go ahead and risk your life from hair extensions, go for it, but here's a cautionary tale that's just so incredibly common, after all. (???) I mean heavens, didn't she expect something like this could happen from having hair sewn onto her own hair? Tsk. In that way, she almost "had it coming" -- she played with fire, etc. by getting the extensions.

Which is royally stupid, because she could have had an allergic reaction to a plastic used on a surgery to save her life, and ended up dying. She could have had an allergic reaction to car glue. To a plastic baby bottle. Would they be saying "Cars. Are they worth it?" or "Child feeding. Is it worth it?" No, they're making this leap in regard to hair extensions because people love to point a finger and say other people got what they deserved somehow if it's a question of vanity.

Just silly.

GlennaGirl
July 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
It should remind us that there is a risk associated with everything.

Exactly.

"Woman Struck by Lightening Through Closed Window in Own Living Room! - Getting up from your chair to go to the bathroom when it's raining outside. Is it worth it?????" :D

Nae
July 6th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Exactly.

"Woman Struck by Lightening Through Closed Window in Own Living Room! - Getting up from your chair to go to the bathroom when it's raining outside. Is it worth it?????" :D

Lol or maybe "Killer windows take another Victim!--Can we really trust the window manufacturers to protect us from lightening?? The frightening facts." ;)

GlennaGirl
July 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Lol or maybe "Killer windows take another Victim!--Can we really trust the window manufacturers to protect us from lightening?? The frightening facts." ;)

HA HA HA HA HA, we have a winner. ^ In fact, I'll bet that's up on 20/20 for the fall 2012 shows lineup. ETA: "Killer windows..." Still laughing. :p Too awesome.

dollyfish
July 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I agree that this article is very fishy (not to mention the article from the Daily Fail). Has a medical examiner come to this conclusion as the COD? Are they sure it was a reaction to the extensions?

Plus, the article goes on to say these types of reactions are not entirely uncommon... but 20 deaths per year is MINISCULE in a country like the US. Yep, more people die from lightening strikes (30-40).

Nae
July 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Or.....maybe the extensions were human hair and she was allergic to the person that donated it. Hmmmm. One more reason not to donate hair, I wouldn't want to kill anybody!

BlazingHeart
July 6th, 2012, 06:24 PM
The second article someone posted noted that her extensions were latex-based, so a latex allergy could have been the cause, as well.

As for sudden violent allergies, I've had two. There's a stomach settler that I've taken hundreds of times, but I was in the ER, dehydrated from a stomach bug, and they gave me that to stop me throwing up. It caused the muscles in the left side of my face to spasm so violently that it dislocated my jaw, and they had to give me a massive dose of IV benedryl to get it to stop. There's also an antibiotic I'd been given in the past, the last time caused anaphylaxis and severe disorientation/confusion. That one came frighteningly close to killing me, when I'd had zero reaction before.

I also know someone who went from fine around latex products to collapsing with anaphylaxis (not being able to breathe b/c the mouth/throat swells shut) in one event.

No reaction to violent reaction does happen.

~Blaze

GlennaGirl
July 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Yep, more people die from lightening strikes (30-40).

I TOLD you those windows were dangerous. :D

Nae
July 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I TOLD you those windows were dangerous. :D

Rofl, you are cracking me up!:D

On a more serious note. I know personally how serious allergies can be. They can come on in an instant and then you have a life threatening issue on your hands.

Blaze, I want you to know that the joking around (at least for me) is because of how this terrible story was presented in such a sensationalistic way by the media. I am NOT trying to make light of allergies and I don't think anyone else is either.:flower:

GlennaGirl
July 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Blaze, I want you to know that the joking around (at least for me) is because of how this terrible story was presented in such a sensationalistic way by the media. I am NOT trying to make light of allergies and I don't think anyone else is either.:flower:

Totally agree...thanks for posting this, Nae. I am definitely not making fun of ancephylaxix, by any means. It was just the sensationalism of the way the story was presented.

RileyJane
July 6th, 2012, 08:08 PM
i think the hair extensions (weaves) are so bad for your hair! you risk snapping your actual hair at the roots right off, or the glue from them bulking up and ripping hair out! oouchhhhh .... i have clip in extensions, and they are sewn to the clips themselves, and work great for me, when i want my hair down to my hips if im going out. easy to put in, easy to take out it takes me less than 10 mins a day :P but in all seriousness she should have just taken them out and tried to just grow her hair out naturally...thats just awful.

elthia
July 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM
The second article someone posted noted that her extensions were latex-based, so a latex allergy could have been the cause, as well.

As for sudden violent allergies, I've had two. There's a stomach settler that I've taken hundreds of times, but I was in the ER, dehydrated from a stomach bug, and they gave me that to stop me throwing up. It caused the muscles in the left side of my face to spasm so violently that it dislocated my jaw, and they had to give me a massive dose of IV benedryl to get it to stop. There's also an antibiotic I'd been given in the past, the last time caused anaphylaxis and severe disorientation/confusion. That one came frighteningly close to killing me, when I'd had zero reaction before.

I also know someone who went from fine around latex products to collapsing with anaphylaxis (not being able to breathe b/c the mouth/throat swells shut) in one event.

No reaction to violent reaction does happen.

~Blaze

I am wondering if it was the latex. People can develop latex sensitivities over time and exposure, and when latex allergy develops it is nothing to play around with. Latex can cause anaphylaxis, and it is just as bad, if not worse than peanut allergies. I saw someone almost die from it.

Dovetail
July 6th, 2012, 09:07 PM
How awful! I've heard people get new allergies every 7 years! It makes me wonder if when I'm 29 if Ill still be able to enjoy pb&j sandwiches. Allergy changes like that can be terrifying and the worst is you won't know until you find out the hard way.

Also, a bit of a derail related to sensationalist headlines. Our city's crime/homicide rate is up 100&#37;!!!!! Cause one person was killed this year, and no one was last year. I don't see why they were making such a huge fuss.

julierockhead
July 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I had to laugh reading this article - it's a fantastic case study of common cognitive biases and logical fallacies, namely Just World Phenomenon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_phenomenon, Availability heuristic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Availability_heuristic, and that old chestnut - Correlation does not imply causation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/***_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc. There is a strongly implied moral judgement in both the article and the replies too, reminiscent of a fable or cautionary tale - a woman "cheats" her way to "beauty" and pays the price.Of course, it's entirely plausible that someone might develop an allergic reaction to a familiar substance seemingly out of the blue, it happens a lot. It's just the way the story was presented that needs work!

Just love to read something I think but can't write very well. Thanks!