PDA

View Full Version : What's your Scalp Massage Technique?

louzen
July 6th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Hello

I've been massaging my scalp for about 6 months and love it :) I'm pretty sure it has been helping with increased growth and it makes my scalp feel really nice afterwards.

I normally bend my head over and move the pads of my fingers in a circular motion gently around my scalp for about 2 minutes. However, I've recently read that you should actually move your scalp up and down with your fingers to increase blood circulation and skin elasticity.

So my question is for those who also currently scalp massage - what's your technique? Do you actually move your scalp around or do you do what I do and simply move the pads of your fingers around? Or something else entirely?

DarkCurls
July 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I move the skin around, not my fingers, but that's only because I don't want to mess up my roots and end up looking weird. If I do it right, I get some nice volume, if I don't... I look a mess. :p So I don't move the hair around. I press my fingers into my scalp and move the skin around. Feels good. Don't know if it helps with growth, but I figure it can't hurt.

I remember reading a thread where some mentioned that moving your fingers around might be damaging (too much rubbing against the hair). But I'm not sure I believe that. My fingers are always in my hair anyway. :p

Madora
July 6th, 2012, 07:15 AM
I don't do it often but yes, I move my scalp with my fingers...kind of a grasping motion (place all the fingers on the scalp, then try and bring them together so that you feel the scalp move, the let go, then try again in another spot. This is done head down, so you get the additional benefit of increased circulation. I always detangle before and after massaging.

Dovetail
July 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'd really like to hear more on this. Does anyone use oils? Scritching tools? I'd like to start doing something like this but I'm not sure how to make it the most effective

Madora
July 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I'd really like to hear more on this. Does anyone use oils? Scritching tools? I'd like to start doing something like this but I'm not sure how to make it the most effective

I've heard others do use oil when they massage. Some scritch as well.

The most effective way to massage is in the head down position (either bending at the waist, or with your head hanging over the edge of your bed). In both instances, you get the added benefit of more blood circulating among the follicles.

louzen
July 8th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks DarkCurls and Madora

I've started using the technique that you both describe now - moving the scalp around with my fingers. I'll see how it goes, but it certainly feels very nice :)

Dovetail - I think it's good to incorporate the massaging into your regular routine. I massage for about 2 minutes every morning and night and have found that to be beneficial. I have heard others of using oils, but since I massage so regularly I do it without.