PDA

View Full Version : Cut Back to Shoulder

StarryNight
July 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Last week I decided to go ahead and cut back to shoulder length. I am glad I did, my hair feels much better, but am sad I lost so much length when just last November I was past waist and almost to hip. I am currently only 16 inches (the first time I have ever been able to measure my own hair accurately) but I know I will be back to waist in a few years. In the mean time I am hoping I can enjoy my short hair and journey back to long healthy locks.

I guess I am just posting this here because I know you will all understand. I can't really tell my friends how I feel about cutting off so much hair without them thinking I'm a little nuts.

CurlyCap
July 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Ah, you cut off your hair for all the right reasons and it sounds like you thought long and hard about it before you did.

It'll grow back over the next few years. It'll be long and healthy and just want you want it to be.

Hugs. Big cuts are tough and we don't think you're nuts at all. :D

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 09:42 PM
What made you decide to chop? I understand your feeling of loss, it can't be easy. The great news is you can go forward now and grow healthy hair!

GoblinTart
July 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I understand the mixed feelings. My hair was at BSL, and i only cut it to APL, but I love that my layers are mostly gone, and how much healthier my hair is. Not as huge of a chop as yours. But I'm still saddened by the loss of length, while overjoyed at the condition of my hair.

Enjoy your journey again! Think of it as a new beginning, and correct any bad hair habits you might have had.

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
To the op glad your happy with your new cut, sometimes a change is needed. Was your hair badly damaged or did you just feel like a change?

StarryNight
July 6th, 2012, 06:51 PM
lmfbs - My hair was really badly damaged due to chemical dyes, bleach, and styling. It was something I knew would happen and was prepared for, but I still miss my hair, ya know?

jojo - Soooo Sooooo damaged.

Also, thank everyone for your comments. It really does help. :)

UltraBella
July 6th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I bet it looks awesome ! I recently cut mine from TBL to APL but it was simply because I wanted to. It's harder when you don't want to but feel you need to. Regardless, I am sure you look lovely and if you would like to prove I am right by posting a pic - feel free ;)
We would all love to see it !

Mesmerise
July 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I've had to do big cuts before to get rid of damage... if there's serious enough damage, it is worth it.

My hair now isn't too damaged (just a bit frizzed from too much straightening :rolleyes:), and even though it's not breaking or getting many splits, I DO get tempted to cut it back to shoulder sometimes.

However, I've already cut off 9" (not all at once) and I miss the length I had a year ago when I was almost to waist... I'm barely back to BSL now.

Sooo... I don't think I will end up cutting. But yeah, I have definitely done it in the past when it really, really needed it. And it always DOES grow again!

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 10:57 PM
That is exactly what I did back in February- from about 30 inches to 16. My hair has never been healthier, and at first I had a bit of regret and apprehension, since it was an impulse decision brought on by a severe anxiety attack, but it was the best mistake I've ever made for my hair :p

~maborosi~

prettykitty
July 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I think about it sometimes-my hair thins dramatically just past APL due to hair loss. I've decided instead to just keep trimming and wait for the thickness to travel down, I'd just be too sad if I cut it.

jacqueline101
July 7th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Sometimes we need a change no matter the reason.

FrannyG
July 7th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I agree with you that friends rarely understand just what an emotional event a big cut is.

However, you went into it knowing why and how you wanted it cut. I think that if you decide you want to grow it long, you'll be surprised at how much more patient you'll be this time around.

Also, it must feel great to be rid of your damage. I know that I was very happy when I went back to 19 inches to remove damage. I took care of my hair, didn't obsess over it, and it seemed to grow back so much more quickly than I expected.

I really hope that you enjoy your new cut, and push any regrets to the side.

The great thing about hair is that it grows. :blossom: