PDA

View Full Version : What reasons make you want to grow your hair long?

arabian_princes
July 5th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone,
:p
I was interested to see what reasons everyone has for growing their hair long. For me it's a cultural thing mostly, girls in the Gulf region (Kuwait, Dubai) define their feminity with their hair.

See the video, you will be surprised the girls are young but have gorgeous hair!! The aim of most arabian girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8SYiZOn5JE&feature=related

:happydance:

CurlyCap
July 5th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I miss it.

I cursed my long hair for so many years and then when I cut it...I started to miss it. I realized that I play with my hair a lot, love hairstyles. My GIANT hair was a part of my personality.

So I'm growing it again. It's going to take a while, but oh well.

prettykitty
July 5th, 2012, 09:05 PM
For me part of it is just that I adore long hair...while I've had it shorter, longer, and everything in between, I feel that long hair suits me best and makes me feel the most beautiful. It's also that I like things that are difficult....I'll always choose the harder, longer road because I love the challenge.

IvanaGil
July 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Ahlan! (My husband is Egyptian, so I'm practicing my Arabic lol)
I've always had long hair, so it's just part of me and the one time I did cut it, I felt horrible! Long hair makes me feel more feminine too!

Silken
July 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM
After years in a depressing, abusive, unhappy marriage, I finally left and I am now living life on my terms, with a wonderful man who adores and worships me. I decided to let go of the wash and go, can't afford to think of myself, self done super short do and take the time to care for myself and my looks, and that means affording the luxury of getting the right products and visiting a very supportive hairsalon where the stylists don't go snip crazy on their clients. My hair is dark brown, mostly straight with a slight wave in it, and it's growing very nicely. Way back when, even thinking of taking care of myself was unthinkable and I was put down and ridiculed if I even tried. Today, the man in my life runs his hands through my hair and marvels at how soft it is. He keeps comparing it to silk, hence my username. :)

blaketob
July 5th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I feel happier and sexier. When I was younger I decided to cut my hair short (a little about collar bone length) and then I thought I looked so fat and I just haven't felt "really pretty" since. Finally my hair has started growing more and I feel great :)

Bene
July 5th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I think I'm more impressed by how no one is in step with the music :laugh:

lm119
July 5th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I wanted long hair as a girl but didn't know it was possible for me. I discovered it was possible about 4 years ago when I saw others growing their hair with my hair type and I decided to give it a try. So far each year I gain some length so we will see what happens :-).

Tisiloves
July 5th, 2012, 09:25 PM
My love of hair-dos.

arabian_princes
July 5th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Ahlan! (My husband is Egyptian, so I'm practicing my Arabic lol)
I've always had long hair, so it's just part of me and the one time I did cut it, I felt horrible! Long hair makes me feel more feminine too!

That's amazing. Egyptians are beautiful and they sure do like long hair too. I've been on quite a few egyptian forums too and was surprised they're very different to here. All the girls there are like which oils do you use vatika or amla so they're quite a big fan of that

Bunnysaur
July 5th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I was just thinking, "It would be nice to one day be able to walk around the house in the buff, and have hair long and thick enough to keep me 'decent...'" :p
I don't think I'll grow that long, but I just feel sexier with long hair. Plus, it hasn't been longer than APL in about 5 years, and I'm getting sick of the short thing.

IvanaGil
July 5th, 2012, 09:36 PM
That's amazing. Egyptians are beautiful and they sure do like long hair too. I've been on quite a few egyptian forums too and was surprised they're very different to here. All the girls there are like which oils do you use vatika or amla so they're quite a big fan of that

I know! Before becoming hair conscious, I NEVER used oil. I used Vatika and it didn't really do anything for my hair, but it smelled nice :)
And you're so right. All of the Arab girls like to keep their hair long. I haven't seen any of my husband's cousins hair though because they all wear hijab, but in Nancy Ajram's videos everyone has at least mid-back length!

BlackbirdFly
July 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Long hair feels very feminine to me. Plus, I'm what one may classify a hippie, so long hair is almost cultural for me. Albeit stereotypical ;)

arabian_princes
July 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I know! Before becoming hair conscious, I NEVER used oil. I used Vatika and it didn't really do anything for my hair, but it smelled nice :)
And you're so right. All of the Arab girls like to keep their hair long. I haven't seen any of my husband's cousins hair though because they all wear hijab, but in Nancy Ajram's videos everyone has at least mid-back length!

Sure we love to keep our hairs long! My friends cousin had super long hair up to her knees and she was in Abu dhabi and this bedouin man had seen her - they're like super crazy over long hair and he asked for her hand in marriage straightaway. She's living in a gorgeous villa there till now with 6 kids:p

arabian_princes
July 5th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Did you see the young kids in the video I posted in the first post. Their hair is super long:rolleyes::D

IvanaGil
July 5th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Sure we love to keep our hairs long! My friends cousin had super long hair up to her knees and she was in Abu dhabi and this bedouin man had seen her - they're like super crazy over long hair and he asked for her hand in marriage straightaway. She's living in a gorgeous villa there till now with 6 kids:p

Did you see the young kids in the video I posted in the first post. Their hair is super long:rolleyes::D

Oh wow! Marriage! lol Yes, I saw the kids. Long hair is so beautiful :crush:

arabian_princes
July 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Oh wow! Marriage! lol Yes, I saw the kids. Long hair is so beautiful :crush:

I've just joined this forum, I've been reading for quite some time but without an account. I've become familiar with terms such as APL ie arm pit length and TBL i.e tail bone length but was wondering what the 1a/2b people are talking about is? :confused:

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 09:48 PM
This thread asking why people are growing their hair from the other day might also be helpful to you http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91245

IvanaGil
July 5th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I've just joined this forum, I've been reading for quite some time but without an account. I've become familiar with terms such as APL ie arm pit length and TBL i.e tail bone length but was wondering what the 1a/2b people are talking about is? :confused:

This will help you.

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 09:56 PM

IvanaGil just posted the thread with definitions in it for you, but if you don't know, what have you used to work out you hair type in your profile? You've got yours down as 1a/b over there <-----

Natalia
July 5th, 2012, 10:16 PM
i grow it for my own enjoyment. to me its like someone else having a favorite piece of jewlrey they wear everyday. its fun to play with, pamper it, i really just enjoy caring for it i guess. its my everday addornment :)

Demi-Plum
July 5th, 2012, 10:38 PM
For me I think it's the same reason, even though my culture doesn't actually think this way. I guess it's from all the reading and things I have been raised around. My mother had waist length hair my whole life so I found it to be a sign of femininity. Especially because I didn't see too many women with very long hair. To this day I rarely ever see women with classic or knee length hair. I grew up reading and immersed by my parents in Japanese culture, even though we are not asian at all, we just have our own Karate Dojo (it's our lively hood). The royalty and most beautiful women back in the feudal periods always had fairytale style hair and I always found it to be feminine and beautiful.

CaranDulin
July 5th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Honestly, I just do it because I think it's beautiful. It makes me feel special, and different from most. Of course, I'm surrounded by people that keep their hair short.

tiarefleur
July 5th, 2012, 11:10 PM
My hair is much more manageable when it's longer since it loses some of its curl. I have these layers which seem more like breakage to me since they haven't been growing as fast as my other hair and they curl up to a 3 a/b while the rest of my hair is probably somewhere around 2c, and I just wish they would grow! I doubt I would be as tempted to straighten if my hair was around MBL when curly too.

sycamoreboutiqu
July 5th, 2012, 11:44 PM
its my everday addornment<<<<

That is a classic , gotta remember that one

Puertoricangirl
July 5th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I used to have long hair a couple of months ago and I really miss it. My hair is at BSL now and about 2-3 inches from waist length when soaking wet. I looooved my long hair! The only problem I had was I barely ever trimmed it so I had "fairytale ends." I am growing it back to the length it was :) I can't wait!

sycamoreboutiqu
July 5th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Typed this long message and the LHC ate it.

The jist of it is , I grow because I can, I I want to and why the heck not ?

At BC length now, never thought I would grow this long but thanks to the advice and things I have learned here I have much easier then I ever dreamed.

It is fun to see the reactions of those who haven't seen my hair down in a long time, they are always shocked. By LHC standards it is nothing, but they are duly impressed I chuckle to myself "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

McFearless
July 5th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I used to have long hair but damaged it with dyes and hair straightening. Hoping to get it back for good. I feel more like myself when my hair is long, it suits me best :)

Alexandriaweb
July 5th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Three and a half years ago I got out of an abusive relationship with a man who wouldn't let me cut my hair, to mark my freedom I shaved it all off for charity (and raised quite a bit!), post shave I decided to start again with my hair (and my life) and see how far I could grow it.
I'm currently heading for waist length :)

leylusha
July 5th, 2012, 11:57 PM
While I do think that sometimes long hair is beautiful, it's not the long way or the highway for me like it seems to be for lots of other LHC members (not that I'm dissing their beauty standards! Opinions :B)
I think on some people being bald is the most beautiful look for them. Pixie cuts look gorgeous on some people, etc.
I want long hair on myself because I feel more like myself with it. When I cut it up to my ears at age 14 I looked down at my sides where the hair USED to hang and got major dissociation. It wasn't that bad but at waist length I'm already looking more Me.
(I like how I can braid/bun it and it will be out of my way too, whereas with shorter hair it always seems to get in my face no matter what I do)

AstroGoob
July 6th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I love the quiet chimey wimey sound it makes when wind rustles through it! Also, if I cut my hair, I lose the ability to travel in time. True story.

But seriously, while I could probably look good with shorter hair, I'm positive I look better with longer dark hair. Every hair cut I've had made me anxious and sad when it was over, so I thought I'd stick to the safe bet. Besides, playing with braids is pretty good as far as nervous ticks go.

MaryMarx
July 6th, 2012, 12:36 AM
I've wanted long hair since I was little, but I have no idea why I waited until 26 to start growing it!

The reason is... I just feel that that would be right for me. I think I'm a longhair at heart. Sounds stupid since I've never been past SL, I know. :p

hairstuck
July 6th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Long hair is pretty trendy these days-- Lauren Conrad, the Kardashians, etc.

Seeing all that nice, healthy hair (or extensions, with some of them) made me want it.

I had long hair as a kid, but cut it off in high school. I guess I cut it off for a change, and to look older.

I think trendily cut long hair can make me look younger, when styled, so that's another plus. I hate short hair on me, and I've had it medium length long enough that I only have 2 potential hair changes-- short, or long hair.

I don't like long hair in bad condition. I've known a few people over the years whose hair was long or medium long and it didn't look good. Their hair had been colored too much, fried with heat, and it was just gross and made me want short(er) hair. Even mid-back length on them was so tapered that they had barely a pencil-wide of hair at the ends of their hair. Gross. But, since then, I've seen people with healthy long hair, so I'm going to try it for myself.

Usually my hair gets relatively long, then gets dry and frizzy, so I cut a lot off.

SongofLove
July 6th, 2012, 01:26 AM
I want to have long hair because I enjoy caring for it and experimenting with updos. For most of my life my hair has been super short (bob to buzz cut) because I didn't want to spend time messing with it. But now, after growing hair simply because I neglected to cut it, I find that it's comforting to take care of long hair---it reminds me of how I played with my dolls' hair when I was little.

DarkCurls
July 6th, 2012, 01:37 AM
When I was a kid I wanted princess hair.

Now, I just want pretty hair that stands out. :p

Nae
July 6th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Because long hair is pretty and versatile.

Jing
July 6th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I... don't know, really. I had long hair for no reason when I was younger, then I had pixie cuts for almost ten years and loved it. I grew out my last pixie because I didn't want to spend money on hair dressers anymore, but I didn't actually decide to grow my hair long until I found LHC. For fun and profit?

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 06:43 AM
I've nearly always had longish hair and for me it's part of my personaliy. I like being known as "her with the long hair" it makes me feel unique, not many women my age (43) in my area grow there hair as long as mine and I like to go against the norm!

Mesmerise
July 6th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I've spent my life mostly with "longish" hair, punctuated by times of short hair! I've always wanted it LONG though... and I've known forever that to get long hair you just have to STOP CUTTING IT OFF... and yet, somehow I have never actually achieved this yet ;). I will get bored and will do stupid stuff like dye it, bleach it, perm it, straighten it... and bingo big time damaged hair, that I will then need to cut off :rolleyes:.

So here I am, pushing 40 and realising that despite being a long hair at heart all my life, I've never actually HAD long hair (at least past BSL to MBL length, I maybe hit waist once but that was it :p). So now I am aiming to get to hip (and maybe even TBL!!).

Madora
July 6th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Vanity...my hair is my one beauty. Also, I love creating different updos and brushing it every day.

Jesabel
July 6th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I just think it is beautiful and feels better on me :) I've just uploaded a sig pic to show my fellow members my length at the moment :D (Even though my waves have been brushed out it still looks very messy and is a bit everywhere! Will upload a better one tomorrow)

browneyedsusan
July 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I... don't know, really. I had long hair for no reason when I was younger, then I had pixie cuts for almost ten years and loved it. I grew out my last pixie because I didn't want to spend money on hair dressers anymore, but I didn't actually decide to grow my hair long until I found LHC. For fun and profit?

This thread needs a "like" button! :D

longNred
July 6th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I've had it most of my life, minus a few short years (pun intended). and now it's time to go above and beyond the long-ish lengths I've had before, no real reason why, mostly because I can (well, I certainly hope I can!).

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I missed the long hair I had in the past.

Ticky
July 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I always thought that it is beautiful and wanted to see what it feels like to have it long.

Rocky
July 6th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I stumbled across this site and found all the amazing pictures of long hair and decided against chopping my hair to shoulder length, and started to grow it instead. I'm just really glad I found this site before I chopped it all off! :)

RitaCeleste
July 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM
I don't have the face to pull off a glamorous haircut. I look ridiculous in a trendy fashionable cut. I have plain face. Its a good face for long hair that's just there and not styled within an inch of its life though. I kept trying these great haircuts but they looked out of place on me and no one liked them on me. I'm long by default really. I never liked cutting my hair, I only did it to try to please other people who told me I needed a cut. After several tries of cut, no one likes it, I just gave up and said no more.

Quenhilde
July 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I always used to have long hair as a child and I missed it when I had to have it cut off :(

Then as an adult I started belly dancing and fell in love with long hair all over again as it adds a whole new dimension to dancing.

The reason that is truly motivating me now though is long term illness. I haven't managed much more than a wash when I can and tying it back for several years so suddenly noticing how long it had become made me so happy. It was the one thing I could say had been good about being ill. OK I'm not much better now, but now that I have seen how long it is I'm trying so hard to make the best of it.

Winnie!
July 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Well, I have several reasons. Vanity is a part of it. I think long hair is lovely and looks so feminine on women. Of course, plenty of women look gorgeous with pixies and else, but I have never had hair longer than BSL and I want to do it. I also enjoy styling my hair differently everyday.

Another factor is that I am looking into donating it. The one thing that got me thinking of donating hair was that I can't donate blood. Although blood would be much more beneficial, I decided I wanted to help in some way. A little help is better than no help to me. :)

Sassy9226
July 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Because I like to stop traffic.
And I just don't feel like me without it.

HappyHair87
July 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I miss my long hair. I am never cutting my hair again! I only did bc i stopped relaxing and am in so much love with my curls!

Long hair is just easier for me to care for. I am used to it. I have always had hair between APL-BSL. When i started really caring for my hair...i made it to WL...and i really miss that length. The caring of it is therapeutic for me. Something about the motions of fingercombing, conditioning, washing...it really calms me and makes me feel good.:)

So the only cutting my hair will see will be for trims and maybe to shape my curls, but not to hack off lots of length....however i think the longest i want to grow is Hip and just maintain it there.

Dragon Faery
July 7th, 2012, 02:08 AM
After years in a depressing, abusive, unhappy marriage, I finally left and I am now living life on my terms, with a wonderful man who adores and worships me. I decided to let go of the wash and go, can't afford to think of myself, self done super short do and take the time to care for myself and my looks, and that means affording the luxury of getting the right products and visiting a very supportive hairsalon where the stylists don't go snip crazy on their clients. My hair is dark brown, mostly straight with a slight wave in it, and it's growing very nicely. Way back when, even thinking of taking care of myself was unthinkable and I was put down and ridiculed if I even tried. Today, the man in my life runs his hands through my hair and marvels at how soft it is. He keeps comparing it to silk, hence my username. :)

Welcome, to you and all the new members! :)

Congratulations on finding an awesome man! :)

I have a lot of reasons for growing my hair, but the biggest one is that I love long hair and I *want* long hair. :)

RileyJane
July 7th, 2012, 08:17 AM
For me, my hair has always been to my hips if u don't count the past 7 years :p and of course I do miss it, and I feel weird not having it....plus it suits my face a lot better than shorter hair. Even thou my long hair tends to scare my friends at night ( its so dark) idc

OakTreeGirl
July 7th, 2012, 10:53 AM
When I was little, my mother would not allow me to grow long hair. Her rule was that little girls should have short hair. I've always wanted long healthy hair since then. The thing is, I didn't know how to take care of hair before. I've tried to grow it out several times since I was a teenager, but I would always get split ends and end up doing a giant trim.

For a while I resigned myself to a layered cut just bellow the chin. And then one day, through random googling I found this forum and realized I could learn how to care for my hair and go longer. Just once in my life, I would like waist length hair. Once I achieve that goal, we'll see where it goes from there. I might maintain it there for years. I might grow it longer if I can. Or I might go short again... But at least once I want hair to my waist.

Alva
July 7th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I never was allowed to grow long hair either, my dad in particular. Now he claims I got such nice hair cuz it always was short, but I always tell him he's wrong in that lol. But another reason for that is that I feel long hair looks better and I feel more confident. When it is shorter I don't feel good about myself as much as when it is longer.

Rowan Will-o'
July 7th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I love long hair. I am addicted to hair toys, as they are called by this group. And you can't use the majority of hair toys in pixie short hair. I am also curious as to how long I will be able to grow my hair. I think now it is a couple of inches short of being waist length.

If I survive the heat of this summer, I will have managed one hurdle. But, I have heard that hair grows more quickly in hot weather, so mine should be really growing now, as the heat is nearly unbearable. If my hair grows an inch or two by September, it will have been worth the discomfort of the heat, right?

Rowan Will-o'

dwell_in_safety
July 7th, 2012, 11:21 AM
I miss the long hair I had ages 12-21 (for the most part; there were several shoulder-length cuts in there, but my hair grows quite fast, I think). It became a part of my identity, and friends and family always complimented it, though then it was very full of damage. I'm growing it out healthy this time and won't take it for granted again.

Natalia
July 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM
its my everday addornment<<<<

That is a classic , gotta remember that one

glad you like it :) every once and a while something makes it out of my brain the way i intended lol

Typed this long message and the LHC ate it.

The jist of it is , I grow because I can, I I want to and why the heck not ?

At BC length now, never thought I would grow this long but thanks to the advice and things I have learned here I have much easier then I ever dreamed.

It is fun to see the reactions of those who haven't seen my hair down in a long time, they are always shocked. By LHC standards it is nothing, but they are duly impressed I chuckle to myself "You ain't seen nothin' yet!"

oh hate when that happens :mad:. i agree about the reaction thing. it happened to me last year. i wasnt looking for the attention or thinking about it i just needed to fix my bun that was tugging at me and my hair actually stopped a groups conversation! a few jaws dropped and all :D i guess thats that happens when you describe your hair as long but no one has seen it yet :p. i admit it was a total rush and i hope it happens again!

11eleven
July 10th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Simplicity! It is so much easier to just throw my hair in an updo then have to worry about styling it with products and having to wash it all the time. Plus, I look and feel better in updos.

hairhair
July 10th, 2012, 03:57 AM
It changes. My main reasons now are

-- desire for the "fairytale" long hair look
-- I get headaches with any short cut that gets in my eyes, but look terrible with it all pulled back, so I'm going in completely the opposite direction and seeing how it will look really long
-- desire to try new updos, etc
-- just seeing how long it will grow
-- "wow" factor of long hair!

mckellyn
July 10th, 2012, 06:29 AM
For me it's a cultural thing mostly, girls in the Gulf region (Kuwait, Dubai) define their feminity with their hair.

Yup, that's my reasoning. I think long hair is feminine.

To have long, beautiful hair, also shows that you are a caring person and you take care of yourself as well as others. Taking care of myself and my own hair makes me feel confident and worthwhile. It's a commitment to myself and the person that I am!

Plus, it's beautiful!

UltraBella
July 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM
None. I have come to realize that I no longer want long hair at all, I enjoy my hair shorter so much more.

shutterpillar
July 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
For me, my husband was my main influence in growing out long hair. He loves me regardless to my hair style, but I do know he prefers super long hair, so I obliged. I have always wanted long hair anyway but never took the time to grow it right. I always ended up chopping it off because I damaged it so much with color and heat. No more of that, now!

It has proven to be more of an obsession than I thought it would, and now I think I love my long(ish) hair more than he does!

LaUvas
July 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I used to be quite thin as a kid, but when I grew up I became curvier, I have thick thighs and also my skin is quite pale (to be spanish) so I don't really fit in nowadays' beauty standards. I've always felt as if I would fit a lot better in the Renaissance, for me beauty as its best is a woman like venus in the birth of venice painting... So I guess long hair is perfect for this kind of look, it also makes me feel very feminine.

FrannyG
July 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
None. I have come to realize that I no longer want long hair at all, I enjoy my hair shorter so much more.

But your shorter locks are still long hair. And gorgeous at whatever length, I might add.

I only grew out my hair because for years I yo-yo'd between short hair and mid-length hair that was always cut in a style that required well--styling. My hair was never longer than APL and I never thought I could grown it any longer, primarily because that's what everyone told me.

Now I like my hair longer because it's low-maintenance, as far as styling goes.

sugarpixie10988
July 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I've had shoulder length hair for most of my life and wanted a change, the longest my hair ever was before LHC was APL. Also, I got a really bad haircut a few years ago (chin length, super blunt bangs, not a good look for me) which I couldn't wait to grow out of. I also like tests of patience, which this definitely is.

sakuraemily
July 12th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Because I wanna try out many dos and because one of my secret dreams have always been to look like a greek painting.

sharonluvscats
July 12th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I used to be quite thin as a kid, but when I grew up I became curvier, I have thick thighs and also my skin is quite pale (to be spanish) so I don't really fit in nowadays' beauty standards. I've always felt as if I would fit a lot better in the Renaissance, for me beauty as its best is a woman like venus in the birth of venice painting... So I guess long hair is perfect for this kind of look, it also makes me feel very feminine.

I LOVE that painting. I think I would have fit in more back than too. Long hair makes me feel more feminine too.

I had short hair throughout my entire childhood. I always wanted long hair but my mother made me wear the bowl cut. *shudders*. I've had long hair between bsl and waist since the age of 18. I cut my hair once during that time to ear length and it was very traumatizing. I will never cut my hair short again.

Ayjay
July 12th, 2012, 08:50 AM
When I was younger my mother wouldn't let me cut my hair. She kept saying I could do it the next year until it got to when I was in College/Uni and I cut it to about BSL and since have just let it grow. I missed my hair and for some reason I really like it now. I think its about Mid-back or a bit longer. I try not to cut it unless I have to.

sylvanasylvana
July 12th, 2012, 09:02 AM
i think long hair is beautiful and feminine, i also want to know how long i can grow my hair

Zesty
July 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I enjoy caring for it and experimenting with different things, and being rewarded when it grows longer and gets softer and shinier. I like the reactions I get from people. I like wearing it up and then having it be a surprise, or a secret. It makes me feel special, and feminine, and confident. The other day I was walking around with my hair down and drying and I just felt so empowered and awesome. I really like trying different hairstyles. Styling long hair is an art, and I get excited every time I master a new technique or successfully try a new hairstyle. Really, I feel like having long hair is an art, and I love learning it.

lilyofthevalley
July 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I have extremely thick hair that, my whole life, has been sheared, thinned, layered, and hacked by every hairdresser that has touched it.

Many hairdressers felt like they "had" to layer it because it was so thick. It looked nice, and usually stayed shoulder length.

I have always loved long hair, and I finally told my hairdresser I want it long. She put away the thinning shears! I finally am going to try to grow it out.

I have been shedding a lot since (and all my longest pieces, about BSL) so I worry that I might not be able to grow it long (because years ago I did four years without cutting and it didn't get long).

I love long hair, the way it looks, the styling opportunities, and the manageability it will give my too thick to even braid hair.

Here's hoping that I will achieve it! :)

Seeshami
July 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Because it's mine.

Amber_Maiden
July 13th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I have a friend from Kuwait who has chopped her hair into a bob. I don't think her family said anything about it when she went to visit.

I want long hair just because I find it beautiful on women. Though there are some women out there who look FANTASTIC with short hair- and I'm a bit envious of them. Look fantastic without needing to even brush your hair really? And it taking only a few seconds when you do? Also the cost of actually caring for short hair is pretty low- on the fact that your shampoo, conditioner, etc last forever. The only real cost is getting hair cuts frequently.

And like I always say, my #1 reason to grow my hair long is because I'm an elf. :)

littlestarface
July 20th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone,
:p
I was interested to see what reasons everyone has for growing their hair long. For me it's a cultural thing mostly, girls in the Gulf region (Kuwait, Dubai) define their feminity with their hair.

See the video, you will be surprised the girls are young but have gorgeous hair!! The aim of most arabian girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8SYiZOn5JE&feature=related

:happydance:
wooohoo I love عيضة المنهالي :cloud9: hes awesome!!!

heyshortyhey
July 20th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I just prefer myself with long hair. I'm very short, and have a short, round face, so anything above BSL makes me look like a teenager.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM
I have spent a large part of my life having long hair so I feel that it is a part of me.

I also feel more feminine, sexier and younger with long hair. I am a true romantic and have spent far too many years reading historical romance novels and eyeing the beautiful women with gorgeous long hair on the covers of those novels. I guess I am a bit of a dreamer.

I also like to look a little different since very long hair is not common where I am from.

Pearly~91
July 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM
I'm growing it out because my hair is my favorite feature. It is soft and gorgeous. I had hair down to my mid back before and I cut it to a bob and I've missed it ever since. That was 4 years ago and I want it back.

gratitudinous
July 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM
Besides being a raging hippie and a wanna-be elf/fairy thing, my reasons for growing my hair are many:
I feel like I look better with longer hair
I love the way it feels on my skin!
There are so many different ways to style it
I feel more like myself when it's long
I like the uncommon aspect of longer lengths
It's a comfort blanket built right it! ;)

There are so many, many more reasons why I love and want to grow longer hair, but the gist of it comes down to the fact that I think it's awesome! :D

LadyMikaelson
July 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
I've always admired those with long locks. While all lengths are beautiful there is something about longer lengths which I find to be breathtakingly beautiful & mesmerizing...Especially, those who's locks look like a fairytale princess's!!

Olavi
July 23rd, 2012, 03:39 AM
1) After I started WO, my hair became really soft. And I want more of that soft hair :D

2) I watched Tangled, and fell in love with the scene where Rapunzel brush her hair. Of course, I don't want to have 70 feet long hair, but I want long hair to brush.

3) Andrej Pejic. If he can have long hair, use feminine clothes and still be man, then I can too.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 23rd, 2012, 03:47 AM
I think it's a really feminine thing.

Pinkster8
July 25th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I feel pretty with longer hair. The weight of it feels good and I love all the fun updos and braids that become possible with longer hair.

nobeltonya
July 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
At first, because I got tired of having to get it trimmed at the salon every 4-6 weeks to keep it looking neat.. then, as it got longer, to see how long I could grow it. And because I kind of like having to take care of it and maintain it. Now, because I have a lot more options for updos and such, and can do more with it.. Also, because at pixie [had from 4th grade until HS], I look like a boy.. and b/w that and shoulder-length or so, I look 12.. :rolling: :disco:

Shepherdess
July 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Having my hair long makes me feel attractive, otherwise, I don't think I would feel very attractive without it. It also makes me feel feminine and unique.
Some scripture verses from the bible have encouraged me in this direction as well.

Inspiration from other people with long hair has been motivating to me the most out of anything I think, I have always admired people with long hair.

I think there are many reasons to grow hair long. :p

Silver Swan
July 25th, 2012, 06:41 PM
I've had hair that fluctuates between a bob and BSL for most of my adult life. I'm lazy, and got started growing it long as a way to get away with never bothering to style it (For the year after my son was born it was just bunned up with a claw clip).

Now that it is almost waist, I do need to look after it, but I am really enjoying the feeling of it. And I think it is a challenge to myself to see if I can grow it longer as I never thought I would even be able to get to waist.

I was interested when reading others comments about femininity and attractiveness to realise that my hair doesn't affect me in that way at all. I do agree that long hair can be very feminine and attractive. But having long hair vs short hair doesn't affect how attractive or feminine I feel :)

earthnut
July 25th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I want to see how healthy I can get my hair. Long hair really tests my routine. It doesn't really matter what you do to short hair when you're going to cut it off soon anyway. You never see if your routine will last in the long term.

I'm not emotionally involved with any length in particular, though for practical purposes I prefer hair I can at least tie back in a ponytail.

Stellaaa
July 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I always wanted long hair. As a little kid I drew pictures of girls with long hair and pretended it was me. My mother kept my hair short and I HATED it. Hate the pixie on my long serious face.

As a teenager I tried all the trendy hairdos - this was the '70s- there is this line in Alice Cooper's song Eighteen that goes -"I cut my hair weird, I read that it was in, Looked like a rooster that was drowned and raised again" - yeah that was the teenage years.

At 19 years old I went in the salon and said "give me a haircut that would look good in a hardhat" and she did. That was my last haircut. I felt then and still do now 32 years later that I never looked better coming out of the salon than I did going it. So why pay all that money to cut off your best feature. ANd within 10 years of not cutting it, it was my best feature.

GALISH
July 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM
For ornamental reasons. It's like having a long morning glory hanging from my head.

ScrimHazard
July 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I've always thought long hair just makes women more beautiful. When I see a woman with shorter hair, or when I have shorter hair, I feel like I need to "doll up" to feel pretty. With long hair, I feel naturally pretty, with very little effort.

Part of it was my mom always tried to cut my hair whenever I was vulnerable to her influence. Haha... So growing my hair long was a rebellion thing for me as well, oddly enough.

toodramatik
July 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
My tattoos.

They make me look masculine but I love them. I'm pretty much half-masculine and half-feminine, and I live for balance, so thats what I'm hoping long hair will achieve.