PDA

View Full Version : Getting REALLY frustrated with my hair. (Oh, and some pics of my flat ironed hair)

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Ugh, you guys understand, right?

I was so close to tears earlier. I finally gave in and flat ironed. But my hair seems shorter than I thought :( when I stretch it, or it's soaking wet, it's fully APL. But I flat ironed and it barely was. In fact, in some shots, it looks like it's not even APL. Help!

Wet;

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/480317_4279716151545_166344296_n.jpg

Stretched;

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/575418_4245397813608_111253342_n.jpg

Flat ironed;

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/529018_4295947677323_1636530934_n.jpg

But then, in this photo, it looks APL :confused:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396646_4295946957305_181298376_n.jpg

WTH? :confused: I'm getting really annoyed.

MrsGuther
July 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Looks like you are at APL. Perhaps in that one picture your head is tilted forward slightly, making it appear you aren't at APL, when in fact you actually are.

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Oh, and here are some pics of my flat ironed hair;

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/531620_4295947517319_1563798772_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/602526_4295861875178_1842866950_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/376855_4295857635072_784364573_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/577164_4295854154985_770634146_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/376839_4295650669898_461216285_n.jpg

shutterpillar
July 5th, 2012, 06:38 PM
That is probably because all hair is longer when it is wet. this is the reason I do not cut my bangs when they are wet.... the hair shrinks back up when it is dry.
Also, I noticed in the stretched photo you are stretching out your longest layer. I have found that layers in my hair make it look shorter (which is why I am trying to grow them out) but for a lot of people, that may not be the case. I do think it is giving you the illusion of shorter hair, though.

I know it is hard, but patience is the key here. I think your hair is beautiful, and it will be past APL in no time. Waiting is hard, I know! I am aaaalmost to BSL and it is driving me nuts because I wish I would just get there already.

Edit to add... I do think you are at APL! Especially after seeing the pictures you posted in your second post.

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Looks like you are at APL. Perhaps in that one picture your head is tilted forward slightly, making it appear you aren't at APL, when in fact you actually are.

Do you think? I've been working myself up over this. I guess I was expecting to flat iron and have this super long hair. And now I just feel disappointed :(

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 06:44 PM
That is probably because all hair is longer when it is wet. this is the reason I do not cut my bangs when they are wet.... the hair shrinks back up when it is dry.
Also, I noticed in the stretched photo you are stretching out your longest layer. I have found that layers in my hair make it looks shorter (which is why I am trying to grow them out) but for a lot of people, that may not be the case. I do think it is giving you the illusion of shorter hair, though.

I know it is hard, but patience is the key here. I think your hair is beautiful, and it will be past APL in no time. Waiting is hard, I know! I am aaaalmost to BSL and it is driving me nuts because I wish I would just get there already.

Edit to add... I do think you are at APL! Especially after seeing the pictures you posted in your second post.

Thank you so much ((hugs))

I was thinking the same thing. But it's just so unfair to STILL be getting shrinkage, even when my hair is bloody flat ironed. And with each picture I take, it seems to be shorter. I mean, look at this picture;

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/561224_4295795153510_1032625427_n.jpg

Sigh. I just wish my hair was so long, an inch difference wouldn't affect me.

As for the layers, yeah. Ugh. My hemline is shot to F. I didn't get it cut like that - I hacked off chunks of my hair at whim a few months ago. I always do that.

And, again, thank you so much. How far are you from BSL?

Sylvestrix
July 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I'm by no means savvy on the measuring thing yet, but for what its worth I think you're definitely APL- well, by my **** eyed interpretation at least! Really all I'm popping in to say is I think your hair is stunning- especially in your avatar picture =]

shutterpillar
July 5th, 2012, 06:49 PM
As for the layers, yeah. Ugh. My hemline is shot to F. I didn't get it cut like that - I hacked off chunks of my hair at whim a few months ago. I always do that.

I am less than an inch away from the very top of BSL. I will probably fully reach it by September.

I completely feel your pain, though. My last haircut in a salon was back in the beginning of March and she completely hacked it to pieces. My hemline is all kinds of wonky, and now I am trying to grow out my layers... my shortest one being shoulder length. :( I'll get there eventually though. I just have to figure out whether I want to stay at BSL for a while and slowly cut all the layers out, or continue to grow and trim 1/2 inch every 5 or 6 months.

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm by no means savvy on the measuring thing yet, but for what its worth I think you're definitely APL- well, by my **** eyed interpretation at least! Really all I'm popping in to say is I think your hair is stunning- especially in your avatar picture =]

Really? Do you think so? Thank you so much :disco:

And thank you! That is really sweet of you :)

sugarpixie10988
July 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I also think you're APL! When I first started growing out my hair, I felt like it took forever too. I found it really helpful to throw it up in a bun and ignore it. I'd still look up new ways to take care of it, but putting away the measuring tape and taking pictures of it only once a month at most helped keep me from getting frustrated. You have beautiful hair, and I love your tattoos!

Bunnysaur
July 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I think you're APL too. I measure my hair wet because it does a bunch of dumb things when it's dry and flips up to look almost 4 inches shorter :rolleyes:

Also, I LOVE your natural texture. Flat ironed, I think it looks kinda boring, because DAYUM, girl. You have some awesome curls.

kitschy
July 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM
you have beautiful, healthy hair. I prefer it curly ;)

But it is sooo shiny flat-ironed. Don't stress so much about length. Enjoy your gorgeous hair at every stage in your growing process.

You are stunning and so is your hair.

moralita
July 5th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I'd definitely call this APL, especially having seen the wet hair picture. Your hair is so pretty and suits you really well. I bet it will look amazing once it gets even longer, too. I can't wait to see your progress! :)

Diamond.Eyes
July 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I would call that APL. And may I just say that you have a beautiful face? :) Happy growing! :flower:

saffy2yrs
July 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Part of it is also the camera angle. if you are looking down at the ends of your hair versus directly across, versus slightly below. they all make a difference in how your ends show in a picture.

I do think you are APL

brave
July 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Thank you so much ((hugs))

I was thinking the same thing. But it's just so unfair to STILL be getting shrinkage, even when my hair is bloody flat ironed. And with each picture I take, it seems to be shorter. I mean, look at this picture;

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/561224_4295795153510_1032625427_n.jpg

Sigh. I just wish my hair was so long, an inch difference wouldn't affect me.

Your shoulders look completely different in these two shots -- I'd say a LOT of the difference in length is probably due to the way you're holding yourself, somehow.

Your hair is beautiful and definitely APL. I miss the curls though! They are so gorgeous.

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I am less than an inch away from the very top of BSL. I will probably fully reach it by September.

I completely feel your pain, though. My last haircut in a salon was back in the beginning of March and she completely hacked it to pieces. My hemline is all kinds of wonky, and now I am trying to grow out my layers... my shortest one being shoulder length. I'll get there eventually though. I just have to figure out whether I want to stay at BSL for a while and slowly cut all the layers out, or continue to grow and trim 1/2 inch every 5 or 6 months.

Ugh. That's why I don't trust salons. I know there are good hairdressers out there, but I can't trust any hairdresser whose salon I walk into. I just can't.

I wish you the best of luck. I bet you'll be there in no time :)

I also think you're APL! When I first started growing out my hair, I felt like it took forever too. I found it really helpful to throw it up in a bun and ignore it. I'd still look up new ways to take care of it, but putting away the measuring tape and taking pictures of it only once a month at most helped keep me from getting frustrated. You have beautiful hair, and I love your tattoos!

Yay, thank you! And thank you, and thank you :)

I'm really trying to be patient and just let it grow, but I get so obsessed with length checking. I grew .5" in two weeks this month, and, to be honest, I'm starting to think that's all I grew. Just the standard. Poo :(

I think you're APL too. I measure my hair wet because it does a bunch of dumb things when it's dry and flips up to look almost 4 inches shorter

Also, I LOVE your natural texture. Flat ironed, I think it looks kinda boring, because DAYUM, girl. You have some awesome curls.

Yay, thank you too! It is annoying, isn't it? I mean, I was expecting to flat iron and see 'yay, long hair!'. But it's so frustrating. One minute it looks long, the next it looks short. Sigh.

And thank you :) I am secretly wishing I had 1a hair at this moment, though. I love my curls, but I think I suit straight hair better. Oh well, grass is greener on the other side :laugh:

you have beautiful, healthy hair. I prefer it curly

But it is sooo shiny flat-ironed. Don't stress so much about length. Enjoy your gorgeous hair at every stage in your growing process.

You are stunning and so is your hair.

Thank you so much :) I appreciate all of your message :)

I'd definitely call this APL, especially having seen the wet hair picture. Your hair is so pretty and suits you really well. I bet it will look amazing once it gets even longer, too. I can't wait to see your progress!

Oh, you guys are making my day! Thank you so much :)

I would call that APL. And may I just say that you have a beautiful face? Happy growing!

And you also! Thank you! You guys are so sweet!

Part of it is also the camera angle. if you are looking down at the ends of your hair versus directly across, versus slightly below. they all make a difference in how your ends show in a picture.

I do think you are APL

Yeah, you're very right. I need a good picture taker :p

And thank you, also!

Your shoulders look completely different in these two shots -- I'd say a LOT of the difference in length is probably due to the way you're holding yourself, somehow.

Your hair is beautiful and definitely APL. I miss the curls though! They are so gorgeous.

You're defo right, I think. I was standing funny in the second shot. I was trying to make sure I was standing, staring straight ahead, but it's harder than it seems.

And thank you so much! The curls will be back on Saturday ;) fingers crossed they spring back completely and aren't loosened at all. That is what I'm frightened of.