PDA

View Full Version : Micro braids on Caucausian

Hopin4Braids
July 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

I LOVE micro braids and think they are so beautiful! :cool: I am hoping to get them this weekend. However, I happen to be fully white (that I know of anyway, haha)! My hair definitely does not have any of the African/African American texture.

A friend from Africa who is experienced in braiding is going to try to do the micro braids. I already bought some human hair (have 2 packs--matches my hair color perfectly! Though seeing as my hair is about at the bottom of my shoulder blades, I may need more.) I will settle for larger braids if the micros turn out not to work well with my hair, which they may not as it is so fine.

My questions:
1. How exactly do I care for the micro braids? Washing wise? I have shampoo without conditioner or moisturizer. Will that do?
2. At night, do I need to cover them up? Or will sleeping on them be fine?
3. I have been doing deep conditioning. Anything else I should do beforehand?
4. Am I totally crazy?

Thanks, and peace!

Sylvestrix
July 5th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Oh, I just adore micro braids! I tried to have them put in when I was younger, but my hair wouldn't cooperate, I so hope you have better luck!

I can only answer your fourth question (sorry!) but I don't think you're crazy at all, I think braids are beautiful on all types of people. Please post pictures if you do go through with it so I can live vicariously!

=D

Hopin4Braids
July 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hopefully this works to show you my hair as is now.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ICmIkOm_kqzjC6-39zdLQQTnk0d-omCciYEGZBTlYjM?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/L_kEnTnefI02Y-c07eojNATnk0d-omCciYEGZBTlYjM?feat=directlink

mzBANGBANG
July 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM
1. How exactly do I care for the micro braids? Washing wise? I have shampoo without conditioner or moisturizer. Will that do?

-- I did WO and put a nylon sock over them, treating them like dreads. I definitely washed way less with microbraids.

-- I slept with mine out because I was fine with the frizzy natural look it produced however I'd recommend wrapping a scarf around your head while you sleep if you want to keep them in tact. For mine, I waxed the ends so they stayed pretty well and I removed the bands.

3. I have been doing deep conditioning. Anything else I should do beforehand? -- My guess is since they are braided, they will dry out a bit, so maybe the tiniest bit of oil before the hair gets braided?

4. Am I totally crazy? NOPE! Crazy is me, who did a whole head of microbraids on myself... definitely went 100% barking mad.

Anje
July 5th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I've had smaller braids (though not small enough to count as micro). With my hair, some filler/extension hair would have helped, since they (1) looked too small and thin, and (2) got kinda fried at the ends.

You will must certainly get them to last longer if you have a satin pillow case our a satin sleep bonnet. (I'd recommend the pillowcase. Sleep bonnets tend to be found across the room in the morning for the first week, til you learn to sleep with them on.) Wash relatively little; rinsing will go far and grease won't show much. Don't expect them to last as long as they do in african-type hair; straightish hair just doesn't seem to start neat in braids for as long, in my experience.

Hopin4Braids
July 5th, 2012, 08:50 PM
So rinsing the braids or swimming with them...That won't cause them to come undone? And do I just let them air dry?

Thanks so much for all the tips! :)

lm119
July 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

I LOVE micro braids and think they are so beautiful! :cool: I am hoping to get them this weekend. However, I happen to be fully white (that I know of anyway, haha)! My hair definitely does not have any of the African/African American texture.

A friend from Africa who is experienced in braiding is going to try to do the micro braids. I already bought some human hair (have 2 packs--matches my hair color perfectly! Though seeing as my hair is about at the bottom of my shoulder blades, I may need more.) I will settle for larger braids if the micros turn out not to work well with my hair, which they may not as it is so fine.

My questions:
3. I have been doing deep conditioning. Anything else I should do beforehand?
4. Am I totally crazy?

Thanks, and peace!

I stopped going to african braiders because the braids were put in too tight. That's just my experience. I've had micros, singles, and kinky twists. Hope things work out for you.

Hopin4Braids
July 9th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I went through with it! It took 7+ hours! The next time, I will get a haircut, as I think it is excessively long and rather too much like dreadlocks! But I still LOVE them! :D Here are some pics (though not the greatest, you still get an idea)!
https://picasaweb.google.com/105889269034965589175/July92012?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJrJqOWShd-wMA&feat=directlink

jasper
July 9th, 2012, 06:56 PM
It looks great! I have no idea about maintenance, but I think if it was my hair it would require avoiding friction as much as possible.

MinderMutsig
July 10th, 2012, 02:00 AM
You look great! They did a really great job on you. I don't often like microbraids on white people but you seem to pull it off.

abbatabba1137
July 19th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Your Braids look awesome!

Question: do you mind if I post pics of my own braids? Maybe we could make this an official thread?!