View Full Version : glycerin/glycerol - does anyone know where to get it in the UK?

liseling
March 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I have curly hair that needs lots of emollients and humectants to keep it moisturized. I already use aloe vera gel once in a while - which it loves. I've read in a few places that glycerin (glycerol) is also a really good humectant. I live in the UK - does anyone know where to find this stuff? Also, is there anyone who's tried using it for moisturizing their hair/skin? I'm curious to find out how it works.

granitbaby
March 16th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Well, I don't live in the UK but I did have the same problem finding glycerine until a curly friend told me that she bought ordinary intimate lubricant at the pharmacy.
Yes, I know it sounds a bit wired but I works.;) If you look at the list of ingredients on water based lubricants glycerine and water are the main components.

artgeek
March 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Funny you should post this, I found it today at a local shop (the kind that seems to sell EVERYTHING - Boswell's, in Oxford) in the pharmacy section.

The brand is "Care +" and it's sold as Glycerin "Soothes sore throats & chapped skin". Maybe it's behind the counter at a bigger pharmacy like Boots? Doesn't hurt to ask. :)

ChloeDharma
March 16th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Pop along to boots, they sell it....it's kept in the cold/flu section with the things for sore throats. It's cheap too, under £2 a bottle and you only use a tiny bit so it lasts ages.

You have to dilute it really well though, less is definately more, like a drop in a jug of water.

My hair quite likes it, but my skin seems not to and i started getting skin irritation if i used it on my skin so i stopped. But yeah, definately worth trying.

Let us know how you get on :)

jel
March 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Every chemist should have it in stock, and I've seen it in Boots, Superdrug, and even Asda.

I sometimes add a few drops into my second C (of the CWC), or use it instead of honey in SMT.

jojo
March 16th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have curly hair that needs lots of emollients and humectants to keep it moisturized. I already use aloe vera gel once in a while - which it loves. I've read in a few places that glycerin (glycerol) is also a really good humectant. I live in the UK - does anyone know where to find this stuff? Also, is there anyone who's tried using it for moisturizing their hair/skin? I'm curious to find out how it works.

cheap as chips on ebay too but watch for the postage!

liseling
March 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Great! I didnt know it was so easy to find. I'll pick some up on my next trip to Boots - How exactly is it used for hair? Do you dilute it and rinse it through, or leave it in like an oil, or what?

Anje
March 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I just picked some up a while ago, so it's still experiment time. What I've done so far, which my hair seems to like, is put a few drops of glycerine in a mister bottle with some olive oil and a little WREB conditioner. I mist this mix on, and it definitely seems to moisturize.

Don't use the stuff straight, in any case. The thing with humectants is that they attract moisture to themselves. Add moisture (water) to them, and they'll keep it near your hair. Apply it straight, and they'll attract the moisture out of your hair, especially in a dryer environment.

Darscilla
March 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I just bought some in the baking section in Sainsbury's this week. I think it was about 79p.

Anlbe
March 17th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Hi artgeek,

Boswell's sells everything! The number of times I've treked around Oxford looking for something only to find it eventually in Boswell's

levelek
March 17th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Anlbe, you've had better luck than me - I've looked for it in Boswell's before and only found it mixed with rose water (and a few more items in the ingredients list). Also, I thought it's a local shop!
Sainsbury's baking section - I haven't thought of that, what a good idea!

ChloeDharma
March 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Yeah, like has already been said, don't use it neat.....just a little drop in a mister or in some conditioner is fine. In terms of leave in/rinse out....either really, leave in in a mister or add to DT's then rinse out :)

jojo
March 26th, 2008, 06:31 PM
£1.49 from Boots, kept with all the flu/cold stuff