PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have a dirty job that necessitates frequent hair washing?

CurlyCap
July 5th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Wondering if I could get advice from other LHCers.

I handle toxic chemicals on a daily basis and work in a facility with lots of sources of airborne contamination.

Yes, we wear protective clothing...but I know where I work and there's no telling me that I leave that place clean.

So when I get home I feel the need to wash my body and at least rinse my hair. I've found that daily co-washing is a nice compromise.

And yet lots of LHCers advocate for infrequent washing.

I'm not against 2nd day hair. When I was young, I wore my braid for a week and washed on Saturdays. It's just that with my current work, I'd feel pretty gross if I crawled into bed without a decent cleanse.

Thoughts from frequent washers? People who have dirty jobs?

afu
July 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I do research for a sheep genetics/breeding company so my days vary but I am frequently out on the farms which is the most mucky work, from the mud and poop to the wool grease to the general dirt and dust flying around barns its impossible to keep clean. My compromise is CO, in terms of condition i don't seem to get anything extra from stretching washes anyway (compared to usual daily/semi-daily CO routine) so it doesn't seem to bother my hair

Bunnysaur
July 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I used to work in movie theater concessions. Honestly, if your hair feels gross, it's probably worse to leave it be than not wash it, IMO.

I've always washed daily, and my hair is none the worse for it.

Lady Dragon
July 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I'm a server so I'm around food and have to wash dishes a lot at work... it just gets gross if I don't wash it at least every couple of days.

Diesel Tech
July 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I found that just rinsing while showering works for me. I try to stretch my CO washes out to every third day or so. If I have a really dirty day, I will CO wash as needed. I don't deal too much with toxic chemicals, though. It's more used oil, grease, diesel fuel, coolant, and just plain old dirt for me.

Kaelee
July 5th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I operate CNc machines. Industrial oil/coolant/grease, yay! It's actually why i started oiling my hair in the first place, to protect it from that stuff.

I shampoo every day, have for years. Always use moisturizing shampoo, I don't use conditioner except 3MM one or 2x a week. Oil every day after washing, clarify once a week. Works for me! :)

excentricat
July 5th, 2012, 04:27 PM
This is why I haven't really tried to stretch beyond every other day. My hair is dirty by then. I do shampoo washes on my scalp and co on my length and that works for me.

mzBANGBANG
July 5th, 2012, 04:59 PM
My job often leads me to environments with fleas and lice. On a good day, it's just cigarette smoke. I shampoo every other day, and CO in between... unless I get grossed out. I'd rather have dry, clean hair, than lice. Pretty easy options.

I know people say humans can't catch fleas. I know, I know. But y'all don't even know.... when it's so bad you're getting bit every two seconds, it's time for a nice, boiling hot dip, with lots of unhealthy bath products that hopefully kill everything that touches me!

MandyBeth
July 5th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I've got cat fine hair. If I don't wash daily, I am a greasy mess.

Loviatar
July 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I wash daily with no bad results - I used to CO but I am a huge shampoo bar fan now.

ladyfey
July 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
I'm a fan of frequent washing anyway, but working in a hospital always made it mandatory.

OilPaint
July 5th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I work in an automotive shop and between regular possible contaminants (as Kaelee mentioned) and the industrial paint we're using to spruce up the place, there's a lot that can get in my hair. I usually bun it up and cover it if I'm going to be in the shop. Most of the time I am successful at not hurting my hair, but sometimes just the sweat alone is reason enough to break my routine and wash early.:headache:

Funny thing is that before I was working on cars I was in a bakery, and I got a heck of alot more stuff in my hair then--when it was under a hair net (or two!)--than I do now. Live and learn I suppose.

AstroGoob
July 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Some days my job can be filled with greasy machinery, but really I usually resort to CWC daily or every other day because my scalp is some kind of ridiculously sweaty. And I've got bangs! So if I don't shampoo my scalp alone, my hair is a stinky greasepot.

That said, I try to find the mildest shampoo I can, and indulge in a deep conditioner. Good luck!

spirals
July 5th, 2012, 09:15 PM
It's variable for me, but if I'm working with food a couple of days in a row, and I'm not doing much beside work, I'll skip a couple of washes. But generally I wash every other day.

Natalia
July 5th, 2012, 10:06 PM
i dont have a dirty job perse but i am a daily washer im wo though. i get the itchies easily and cant get to sleep if i feel even a little dirty so daily washing saves my sanity. i have allergies too and have more symptoms in the am the few times i havent washed every day... darn pollen and dander....grumbles

SurferB
July 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM
When I was doing nursing, I had to take baths nearly every day. It was a dirty job dealing with patients. I always felt gross leaving work. The best thing I could tell you is wear some sort of cap? bandana? headband?

I hope that helps ^_^

elthia
July 6th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Healthcare worker. Blood, vomit, feces, urine, bacteria, antibiotic resistant bacteria, all kinds of yummy stuff. I keep my hair bunned, and I shower daily.

maradeerfarmer
July 7th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I am a vet, and used to do a lot of farm work, and a lot of... um... pregnancy testing and obstetrical procedures in cattle... I'd get very messy sometimes! These were the sort of jobs where there would always be a shower in the clinic so you could wash off during the day if necessary. I would use a very mild shampoo every day, diluted 1:1 with water.

(Nowadays I don't do farm work any more, and am shampoo-free and stretching washes to weekly)

irishlady
July 7th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Yes I do.
I work in a nursing home and that is constantly heated like a furnace...hence sweat.

Then the erm..poo...I don't get it in my hair but being around it...ugh.

GoddessLocks
July 7th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I have a desk job, but I still wash my hair everyday and I see no bad results. I actually get compliments about my shiny hair. I do switch out and rotate my shampoos and conditioners though. I think that may help, not sure though lol. I just switch it up because I like the different smells, and I have a really mosturizing one and dont like to use that one everyday.