PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, hip length or classic? Or...

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm so indecisive, so I thought you LHC'ers could help me.

My original goal was waist length. Then I changed it to hip length. The other day I was thinking BCL or TB and now I'm thinking classic!

Help!

prettykitty
July 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
I voted to stick to waist...for now! You may find your goal changes as you grow, and you can always change your mind later. I know that when I got to waist I seriously reconsidered my goals, waist isn't that long compared to some people here but all of a sudden it seemed like I had so much hair to take care of, eek! Smaller goals will also happen sooner, and not try your patience so much.

SerinaDaith
July 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I think as you get to each stage you'll figure out if you are happy there or want to keep growing, for me I am sticking with waist since it will be longer than I have ever had my hair, I however won't lie, I would love to have knee length tresses to flaunt and enjoy, I guess we'll just have to wait and see! I also live in fear that just past BSL will be my terminal length since that is the longest I have ever gotten so I am in some ways trying to prepare myself for that possibility.

Madora
July 5th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Grow it to waist first and see how you are enjoying it (or not).

Curly hair can be a holy trial. You have to be so careful handling it, etc. That would try my patience to the utmost. Also, on your way to waist, learn several styles so that you aren't caught in the dilemma "How am I going to wear my hair today?" So many who have grown to waist (and beyond) give up because they get tired of the time it takes to care for...and bored because they only know 2 or 3 styles and long hair just isn't appealing for them as it once was.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Bunnysaur
July 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think you should grow and see where you like having your hair best.

DarkCurls
July 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I'm like you... Except I'm already at waist. I decided to go for hip, but suddenly hip doesn't seem as long to me... so I've settled on TB or maybe classic. Long way to go in either case, but I love long curly hair. At waist my hair really doesn't feel long.

I think you should do a see-as-you-go thing. That's what I'm doing. I've picked a goal length, but I don't feel obligated to reach it. If I find something a bit above suits me, then I'll stop there. Until then, I'm growing it out.

Tia2010
July 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I agree with everyone saying just see where you like it best as it grows..

BUT, I will still vote for hip or tailbone because I can picture your curly hair that long and think it would look amazing! :D

jojo
July 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I am voting for classic because that's my goal too. The way I see it is if you grow to classic and don't like it, you can cut back to a length you did enjoy.

Arashi
July 5th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I must echo everyone who already said you should grow to waist and see how it is. Maybe you'll be content there, maybe not and in that case you can just keep growing. :)

I'm doing something like that. My goal officially is waist length, but there's a nagging little voice in the back of my head that's going "but maybe hip length will be better! or tailbone!". What I intend to do is grow to waist and maintain there for a while(to get used to it and grow out layers) and then after a while re-evaluate and see if I want to go longer.

Whatever you do, happy growing!

XcaliburGirl
July 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Don't worry, this is a normal reaction to joining this website! I'd say keep your goal at hip for now and then decide on a new goal when you get closer. Next week you will be wanting knee or terminal length, but it's probably just the novelty of the idea. I feel the same way. I am still changing my goal in my mind (sometimes it's just APL, sometimes it's mid-calf-length) but to keep my sanity I'm leaving my official goal at waist until I get there. Anyway it can get frustrating to think of all the time it will take to grow to the very long lengths.

torrilin
July 5th, 2012, 03:50 PM
None of the above.

I don't think length goals are helpful.

We usually have an image in our head of what we'd like for hair... but unless you're dedicated to only wearing your hair down, chances are it isn't something easily described. And as you grow, your favorite hairdos may change pretty drastically. So I favor having your primary goals be about things like fun hairdos, hair condition, or length of time between trims or salon visits.

For me personally, learning a new hairstyle or achieving new heights of benign neglect tend to be more rewarding than just plain longer hair.

Ticky
July 5th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just decide as you go, you can always cut back.

BrightEyes
July 5th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I say grow to waist and then once you get there decide if you want to grow further. But I love waist length hair too:)

RitaPG
July 5th, 2012, 07:58 PM
I find it easier to stick to your first goal, and then see how well you adjust to it before seeing if you really want to go further. Having small milestones is less frustrating, I think.

Alembic
July 5th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I'm so indecisive, so I thought you LHC'ers could help me.

My original goal was waist length. Then I changed it to hip length. The other day I was thinking BCL or TB and now I'm thinking classic!

Help!
I think waist is a good length if you plan on wearing it down often - you might find yourself sitting on it, and so on. Your hair already looks smashing and I love your solar system body art, so original!

spirals
July 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM
It depends what kind of hemline you'll have. There's more to it than length. You have to consider what hem shape + length will do for your figure. You can't see it, but fortunately cameras have been invented.

lm119
July 5th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I voted Classic! You can always cut it if it's not for you.

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thank you so much, everyone, for your participation, voting and comments. I really appreciate it :) I think I will stick to hip, but will probably shoot for classic. However, don't be surprised if you see my goal under my avatar change :laugh:

And as you grow, your favorite hairdos may change pretty drastically.

You know, I'm not one for hairdos. I like it down. I wear it down a little less now, like I throw it in a quick bun at home, but I don't do fancy updos.

Your hair already looks smashing and I love your solar system body art, so original!

Thank you so much!

And welcome to LHC :)

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 09:40 PM
It depends what kind of hemline you'll have. There's more to it than length. You have to consider what hem shape + length will do for your figure. You can't see it, but fortunately cameras have been invented.

I have a crappy hemline right now :laugh:, but it's only noticable if it's straightened. When it's curly, it really doesn't show.

In terms of hemline, I'd probably shoot for the 'V'. I like the V.

I voted Classic! You can always cut it if it's not for you.

Good point ;)

catamonica
July 6th, 2012, 12:34 AM
When you get to waist you can decide, how you feel about it. I'm at hip. I would like to get to classic. Not sure if it will grow that long. Time will tell.

Zesty
July 6th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I'd keep it at waist or hip until you get there, then you can decide if you want to go longer. It's helpful to keep your goal manageable, at least IMO, so you don't get discouraged like "ARGH I'm SO far from knee, I'll never get there!" XD My goal is tailbone for that reason, but I make no promises about stopping once I get to that point. ;)

Phalaenopsis
July 6th, 2012, 04:50 AM
I vote BCL :) It's not that much longer than hip and it keeps an important lady part uncovered ;)

MintChocChip
July 6th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I'd keep it at waist or hip until you get there, then you can decide if you want to go longer. It's helpful to keep your goal manageable, at least IMO, so you don't get discouraged like "ARGH I'm SO far from knee, I'll never get there!" XD My goal is tailbone for that reason, but I make no promises about stopping once I get to that point. ;)

Yep this! I would say keep your goal to waist for the moment, you can always change your goal when you get there or when you get closer to waist if you decide it's not quite long enough. That way, like Zesty says, it's not so discouraging from your starting point to your goal length.

Amber_Maiden
July 6th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I'd stick to waist for now, if I were you.

Tristelle
July 6th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Well, for me TB was the most manageable length for buns or hairstyling.
My advice is : when you get to a length that is comfortable and that you manage easily, stay at that length for some time for a few months and then decide to resume the journey to length or not :)

torrilin
July 6th, 2012, 06:32 AM
You know, I'm not one for hairdos. I like it down. I wear it down a little less now, like I throw it in a quick bun at home, but I don't do fancy updos.

Down is still a style :D. And remember, you're a curly. Stretches to waist is not the same as looks like waist when curly, so depending on which you prefer, we might be talking some *serious* hair.

Your opinion on updos may also change as you grow. For one thing, long hair left loose is a pretty good insulator. Right now, temperatures here are in the 100-110F (38-43C for the people with a sane measurement system) range, so hotter than blood heat. The *last* thing I need is for my waistish/elbow length hair to be loose and helping to insulate my head! So for a lot of the week, it was in a single English braid. Last night, I swapped to twin braids since I'm debating about (gack) going out in the heat today. It's easier to pin up twin braids in a cute way than a single one on me, and it's comfier under my bike helmet in this heat. No long tail to insulate my back, and no lump to make my helmet unsafe.

Side effect of curly... your hair doesn't necessarily provide an all over blanket as fast as straighter hair. Definite plus in hot weather.

AnnaJamila
July 6th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I say grow it out as long as you can then decide. That way you know how it looks at each length and you can trim back to whichever was your preference. It takes a while but the bonus is that when you cut it your hemline is super thick and healthy.

Lol, that's what I'm doing, if I can make it that far!

anitacs9101
July 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I voted to stick to waist...for now! You may find your goal changes as you grow, and you can always change your mind later. I know that when I got to waist I seriously reconsidered my goals, waist isn't that long compared to some people here but all of a sudden it seemed like I had so much hair to take care of, eek! Smaller goals will also happen sooner, and not try your patience so much.
I agree! I had the same effect joining this website, first I wanted just waist length or so and now I want TB :P But I know TB, if my hair grows at the rate it has before, will take another 3 years or so, but WL not so much. Remember to enjoy your hair in every length because otherwise you will be caught in the "my hair is never long enough" cycle hehe.

holothuroidea
July 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Aim high. If you don't like it when it gets there, you can always cut it back.

FrannyG
July 8th, 2012, 06:51 AM
I voted waist length, because I believe in shorter goals that seem attainable, to start. You can reassess later, and change your goal then, when the next body marker seems within reach.

Mesmerise
July 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I go with BCL or TB (they're very similar lengths ;)). For some reason, classic hair doesn't appeal to me as much as TB length hair.

My current goal is set at hip... BUT I'm leaning towards TB with a U shaped hem, so the tops of the U are somewhere in the hippish region.

But if you really want classic then why not?

On the other hand, sometimes it's a good idea to set goals that aren't so far away. So start with a focus on waist maybe, and then once you're there go to hip etc.

Kristin
July 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I'm with all the people who've said, "wait and see." Once you get to waist, you may decide it's just too much hair and cut back. Or like it and keep growing. :)

CurlyCurves
July 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks everyone! So far, classic is winning, closely followed by waist. Very interesting results!

I vote BCL :) It's not that much longer than hip and it keeps an important lady part uncovered ;)

You know something, that is actually what attracts me to BCL or longer. That allure of being naked, but 'clothed' by my hair, so to speak. It's so ... mermaid-y?

Down is still a style :D. And remember, you're a curly. Stretches to waist is not the same as looks like waist when curly, so depending on which you prefer, we might be talking some *serious* hair.

Your opinion on updos may also change as you grow. For one thing, long hair left loose is a pretty good insulator. Right now, temperatures here are in the 100-110F (38-43C for the people with a sane measurement system) range, so hotter than blood heat. The *last* thing I need is for my waistish/elbow length hair to be loose and helping to insulate my head! So for a lot of the week, it was in a single English braid. Last night, I swapped to twin braids since I'm debating about (gack) going out in the heat today. It's easier to pin up twin braids in a cute way than a single one on me, and it's comfier under my bike helmet in this heat. No long tail to insulate my back, and no lump to make my helmet unsafe.

Side effect of curly... your hair doesn't necessarily provide an all over blanket as fast as straighter hair. Definite plus in hot weather.

I know, hun :) but my aim is (for now) hip while curly. I don't plan to flat iron often, and may give it up all together. Any length goal I have is non-stretched in mind (but I count current lengths as stretched)

Do you think curly hair is cooler than straight? I find I get very hot with my hair, even though it's only SL curly. I honestly thought it'd be the other way around.

Thanks for your reply!

Lady Neeva
July 8th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Benign Neglect.

Elithia
July 8th, 2012, 10:14 PM
I know, hun :) but my aim is (for now) hip while curly. I don't plan to flat iron often, and may give it up all together. Any length goal I have is non-stretched in mind (but I count current lengths as stretched)

Do you think curly hair is cooler than straight? I find I get very hot with my hair, even though it's only SL curly. I honestly thought it'd be the other way around.

I voted classic, and here's why:

My hair is 3a/b as well (though yours looks more on the b side than mine) and just as a heads up (is that a pun? It feels punnish!) I'm between hip and TB wet right now and it shrinks up to just around waist, a little above if it's feeling particularly bouncy.

So I have the sense that by the time my hair is hip while curly, it'll be close to classic while straight! Though that partly depends on how much the curl pulls out. Right now the top does a little bit, but the bottom ten inches or so is tighter than ever.

Anyway, that means that if classic and waist are neck in neck in your poll, you might want to consider the possibility that you'll end up growing your hair out to be BOTH AT ONCE. :D

bte
July 8th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Why not go for classic and see if you like it. You can always choose any of the other options almost instantly.

Bagginslover
July 9th, 2012, 01:42 AM
I voted waist. Once you get there, you can change your goal to linger, but hitting a goal length will give you a sense of acheivement that will encourage you to keep going ;) that's how I structure my goals-I'm aiming for waist currently, but my goal will ultimately be somewhere TBL-classic (I want to be able to tuck it in my trousers and it stay there!!)

CurlyCurves
July 13th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Thank you so much, everyone!

I voted classic, and here's why:

My hair is 3a/b as well (though yours looks more on the b side than mine) and just as a heads up (is that a pun? It feels punnish!) I'm between hip and TB wet right now and it shrinks up to just around waist, a little above if it's feeling particularly bouncy.

So I have the sense that by the time my hair is hip while curly, it'll be close to classic while straight! Though that partly depends on how much the curl pulls out. Right now the top does a little bit, but the bottom ten inches or so is tighter than ever.

Anyway, that means that if classic and waist are neck in neck in your poll, you might want to consider the possibility that you'll end up growing your hair out to be BOTH AT ONCE. :D

LOVE your post and your little ringlet in your avi. So cute :disco:
I'd LOVE to see a pic of your hair. I'm always on the lookout for curly long hair pics, especially 3b.

HAHAHA, you make a good point!

lapushka
July 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Any length of those mentioned is good IMO. I'd aim for the biggest length goal you think you might attain, and if on the way there you think enough is enough, then that's your length.

Elithia
July 13th, 2012, 09:07 PM
LOVE your post and your little ringlet in your avi. So cute :disco:
I'd LOVE to see a pic of your hair. I'm always on the lookout for curly long hair pics, especially 3b.

Thanks :) I'm about an equal mix a/b, maybe a little heavier to the A side -- not as curly as you, though my hair was pretty vertical when it was short (the one thing I miss about my short mop was that it made my head like three times its normal size!).

The only current pic of the length of it that I have right now is the one I just put in my sig. It doesn't show off the texture well AT ALL -- it was taken with a crappy webcam! So it looks blobby. :( I think it was about 3/4 dry when that was taken, so it's also about 3/4 volume -- on a very dry day. More humidity + fully dry hair would have been more curl definition and more vertical lift!

Also like I said upthread, it continues to look high waist even though it's coming up on tailbone. :( I long for the length to show!

kallarina
July 13th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I think you know in your heart where you want to be. Sure, smaller goals will help you feel accomplished faster, but you won't truly be happy until you go for the length you know if your heart you want to have. I say, if you're gonna do this crazy thing we do here and grow to extreme lengths, put your whole self into it and go for the gold, girl. If you're contemplating classic, you won't be happy until you at least see what it's like and if it's attainable.
I used to tell people I'd NEVER grow my hair past the waistband of my jeans, simply because it was "gross to have hair touching my butt in the shower". It was my justification for pretending classic length wasn't my dream. When I finally accepted that I will never be happy until I go for my dream, no matter how far off it may be, that I became serious about growing my hair out. I still have tons of fun, but it definitely keeps me from boredom cuts. And I'm quickly approaching classic, will be there within the next year or so.
You can do it if you set your mind to it and have the patience.
I say, GO FOR CLASSIC!

elbow chic
July 13th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I am one of those people who does better with smaller, more attainable goals, so I vote "stick with waist." Once you get there you can always re-evaluate.

I was originally just going for BSL, but once I got there decided I wanted to get to waist.

Who knows, maybe once I get to waist I'll decide to go for hip... ;) Really, I think it's just about what mindset works for you. Some people are more inspired by launching epic quests, some of us find that kind of thing "too much."

sometimesginger
July 14th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I vote you just keep growing! You'll decide when you get there :) Originally I just wanted to get it to BSL, then I got there and went "oh no, let's grow it to mid-back!" then that changed to waist and now I'm considering hip. So I'm just going to keep growing! Once I get to where I want it, I'll keep it there :)

CurlyCurves
September 12th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Thanks everyone :)

I'm sticking with hip, and I'll see how I feel when (if?) I get there!

teal
September 12th, 2012, 02:11 AM
There was no "grow it until you get sick of it" option, so I voted "classic". :p

melusine963
September 12th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I voted tailbone, but that's a little arbitrary. I don't know what length would suit you best, or even make you happiest. In your place I would just keep growing/taking care of it, and see how far I get. Goals are good for keeping your motivation up, but they're never set in stone.