PDA

View Full Version : Revelation re: The Beauty of my hair. (Very Zen moment)

RubySlippers
July 5th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I wonder has this happened to anyone else?

About two weeks ago after many years of wondering about the no shampoo "myth" (as I thought of it), and after lurking here for some time, I took the plunge and had my last, extremely clarifying, shampoo.

I switched to baking soda and vinegar, and started bbb-ing, massaging, stretching washes (I was already nearly at a week between washes so that was easy), keeping my hair up on a simple bun with spin pins and oiling with coconut oil. Also, I have cut out heat. All with the aim of getting to waist length with a blunt hemline. I don't have a time frame, I have no idea!

Anyway, the weirdest thing happened... and maybe I'm not the only one to find this:
Last night I washed my hair and watched as it dried "imperfectly". I am a long time straightener/ serumer/ blowdryer/ do anything as long as my hair doesn't look like it would naturally -er. I have deeply believed, for years, that straight glossy hair is beautiful, and curly ringlets are beautiful, and frizz free somewhere-in-the-middle waves are beautiful. But that my hair would only be beautiful if I could make it fit into one of those categories.

Last night my hair dried in a messy wave (I think I'll need to re-type it in a short while!) with baby hair fluff "indicators" sticking out both temples in wispy curls, and in a very unexpected Zen moment I realised that my natural hair is beautiful, not in spite of the imperfections but *because* of them.

Call me crazy, but let me try to explain. (I'll use noses to illustrate) Anyone can have a nose job to get a "perfect" nose, and generally a "perfect" nose will look good on most people. But ask a surgeon for a "quirk" put into a "perfect" nose and I bet he can't do it without making you look mad! So the imperfections are a gift, and generally a gift that you can't get any way other than naturally.

Maybe that makes no sense, it's usually pretty impossible to share a revelation - that's why it's a revelation! But I thought I'd try.

Henceforth I am thankful for my baby fluff and messy waves

Rufflebutt
July 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM
I'm happy that you love your texture!

I'm still trying to make peace with mine... I have 1b hair. So it's straight enough to be "straight" according to most people. But whatever bend it has simply looks like I haven't groomed it. It's a permanent bed-head.

Bene
July 5th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Kind of like how people will pay an orthodontist tons of money for their kid's crooked teeth, but the people who make dentures will work some minor imperfections in to make their pieces look more natural. It's a maaaaaaad world!!!!

Still, lucky you. My aidried hair looks like a pile of shed hair pulled off a brush. Not cute at all.

Mahealani
July 5th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Aww that's a nice AHA moment. I am happy for you.
I have similar story with flyaway baby hairs around my hair line. Used to hate it, used tons of pins and such, but then I said, why bother. Even stopped chewing gum, cause those little buggers always found its way to my mouth and before I know it, was chewing my hair with the gum. Gross. So I switched to breath mints.
Now I just let them flow and find them rather charming and life is less stressful. ;)

Alvrodul
July 5th, 2012, 05:57 AM
What a wonderful Zen moment! :flower:
When people have embraced their hair type and learned to cooperate with it, they will often find that their "hair problems" go away. :D

Rufflebutt
July 5th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Kind of like how people will pay an orthodontist tons of money for their kid's crooked teeth, but the people who make dentures will work some minor imperfections in to make their pieces look more natural. It's a maaaaaaad world!!!!

Still, lucky you. My aidried hair looks like a pile of shed hair pulled off a brush. Not cute at all. In Japan having teeth that are slightly crooked as actually considered particularly beautiful, even! They don't like perfect straight Hollywood-teeth.

Mahealani
July 5th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I'm happy that you love your texture!

I'm still trying to make peace with mine... I have 1b hair. So it's straight enough to be "straight" according to most people. But whatever bend it has simply looks like I haven't groomed it. It's a permanent bed-head.
I have 1b too, but its like this only one part is wave-ish the rest is strait-ish. Not that bad, used to bug me, but now its ok.

RubySlippers
July 5th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Lol, give me a week, I'm sure I'll lose the zen! I'll be on here screaming for a straightener.

That is exactly what I mean though, Bene! Imperfection is key! Now I just have to remember that.

Amber_Maiden
July 5th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Glad you like your texture!

I've come to peace with my thick hair- but I can't stand my dry dry ends!

barely.there
July 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I have embraced my hair type. I realized that I was trying to achieve a look with my hair with the help of styling tools....except my hair already had that look without the help!!! oh the irony.

Ephemeral
July 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I had a similar moment this morning - my hair is doing it's own thing on one side of my head, I'm growing my bangs out and they are just past my nose in length and being weird today, and I need a trim, but it's really glossy and the color is great. And I thought, if it didn't grow any more in length but just stayed this full and shiny and healthy, I could live with it. I would be disappointed that it wasn't waist length but it just looks so good to me, and, in the end, that's what matters.

meishkamooshka
July 5th, 2012, 11:49 AM
So very happy for you!

redsonjared
July 5th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Still, lucky you. My aidried hair looks like a pile of shed hair pulled off a brush. Not cute at all.

ROFLMAO!! That describes my hair exactly!

Rubyslippers, that is a lovely thought - I hope it stays with you:blossom:

prettykitty
July 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I think that 'halo' effect of baby hairs is so pretty :)

embee
July 5th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Yes, I *love* the halo effect, it makes me think of Miss Minnie Cat lying in the sunshine - her fur glistens and the little fluffy ends just shine. Looks so touchable. :)

I'm glad you found the beauty of your hair. It took me a long time to find mine, but I have, and now it's ok.

RileyJane
July 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
i feel the same! ever since middle school/high school i always thought i HAD to straighten or curl my hair b/c all the other girls did and that was socially acceptable. BUT after stopping all that, i realize i have the most beautiful waves ever! and theyre MY waves too :) no machine could duplicate them