PDA

View Full Version : Help! Is there anyway to keep my platinum blonde hair without killing it with bleach?

Veaslea93
July 5th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Hello everyone!

As you can see from the title I currently have bleach blonde hair and after joining LHC I refuse to let bleach anywhere near my hair anymore but absolutely love the colour, is there anyway to lighten my hair without causing so much damage?? My natural colour is more of like a dark blonde..

EtherealDoll
July 5th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Yes, you can use hair dye. The lightest colours contain more peroxide in the developer than the darker ones but it's not as damaging as bleach.

Rosetta
July 5th, 2012, 03:27 AM
^ Well, to be honest, I wouldn't say a lightening permanent dye is much gentler to hair than bleach... And while it may be a little, it does have PPD, which bleach doesn't! So in a way it's a matter of balancing hair health against body health... :?

But whichever you use, there is a wonderful way to protect hair from peroxide damage - coconut oil! :) You just soak your hair & scalp in it before dye/bleach (1 hr - 30 mins before). I've managed to avoid almost any damage that way!

Veaslea93
July 5th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Ohhh I love coconut oil! I never knew you could use it along side bleach! I did think about using normal hair dye but I've done it before and it went yellow rather than the ice White colour it usually goes. Definitely going to give the coconut oil a try next time my roots need doing! :D

afu
July 5th, 2012, 03:34 AM
I second coconut oil, I have bleach highlights and since I started using coconut oil pre-bleach I've not had any further damage :D

oktobergoud
July 5th, 2012, 03:50 AM
As one who has had platinum hair several times I can assure you: there's no way you can get platinum hair without bleach. There just isn't, not even the lightest dye will get platinum, sadly!

Alexblue
July 5th, 2012, 09:32 AM
What length are you at and what length are you trying to achieve? I have had dirty blonde to platinum blonde hair. If you stay within 2 shades of your natural colour and give you hair lots of TLC (I second, coconut oil, it's wonderful as a pre-treat), then there should not be any significant damage. Highlighting is a great option as only small sections are done, and can achieve a natural and overall very blonde look without exposing all your hair to bleach. You are already dark blonde so highlighting is a good option.

However, stay within 2 shades if you're hoping to achieve really long hair. There is a reason wonderful blondes like marilyn monroe and agyness deyn do not exceed APL.

Lastly, find a colourist you trust. If you go to touch-up your roots, a good stylist will take their time to avoid going over previously dyed sections and target the roots, only the roots. The ombre look is also exceedingly pretty on dark blondes and requires fewer touch-up, only every 4 months instead of every 2.

Hope that helps!

justgreen
July 5th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I second the oil and highlights. I get highlights (roots) done every 4-6 weeks, using 30vol, sometimes 40vol depending on what my hairdresser has. She bleaches it to a platinum stage and applies no toner. I hate toner, it causes the hair to go brassy as the toner fades out. I don't use oil any longer. My hairdresser brushes conditioner on the length, then applies the bleach to the roots. I generally have around 50 foils. I only have the top of my head highlighted, leaving the underneath panel my natural dark.

Veaslea93
July 5th, 2012, 02:51 PM
My hair is just sitting on my shoulders at the moment, hoping to get to around my bra strap length. I usually just get foils done rather than a full head of bleach like I used too but was still worried about damaging what I've spent so much time trying to fix already, definitely going to try the oil thing though! Thanks for all the advice so far girls! :)

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Justgreen is a perfect example of how long hairs can have highlighted long hair, follow her example and advice and you won't go wrong.

catamonica
July 6th, 2012, 11:39 AM
My dye is coming out. I'm all grey. I use a spray bottle mixed with white vinegar & water. It's lighten my hair to silver. It should work for you. It should lighten it to white. And best of all it's a natural product.

lapushka
July 6th, 2012, 03:20 PM
My dye is coming out. I'm all grey. I use a spray bottle mixed with white vinegar & water. It's lighten my hair to silver. It should work for you. It should lighten it to white. And best of all it's a natural product.

Confused here. Since when does vinegar lighten hair? :confused:

maborosi
July 6th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think you can get platinum blonde without bleach, but thoroughly saturating the hair before lightening with coconut oil is an excellent way to help reduce damage- and only touching up the roots.

If you're going to bleach, take every precaution you can to keep the hair well-moisturized and be vigilant about things like splits, etc. to keep your hair looking as best as you can ^^ Protein treatments might also be a good idea to do once in a while to help the hair after bleaching.

Good luck! :)

~maborosi~

Veaslea93
July 8th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think you can get platinum blonde without bleach, but thoroughly saturating the hair before lightening with coconut oil is an excellent way to help reduce damage- and only touching up the roots.

If you're going to bleach, take every precaution you can to keep the hair well-moisturized and be vigilant about things like splits, etc. to keep your hair looking as best as you can ^^ Protein treatments might also be a good idea to do once in a while to help the hair after bleaching.

Good luck! :)

~maborosi~

I'm definitely going to try saturating my hair with coconut oil before applying the bleach, I've seen a lot of people talking about using protein on your hair, but what sort of thing should I do.. (Don't laugh at the newbie! :) )

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM

How can vinegar lighten hair? Vinegar regulates the scalps pH and closes the cuticles causing. Hair to shine but lighten hair...I'm confused here!

maborosi
July 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'm definitely going to try saturating my hair with coconut oil before applying the bleach, I've seen a lot of people talking about using protein on your hair, but what sort of thing should I do.. (Don't laugh at the newbie! :) )

There are a lot of things with protein in them- conditioners, leave-ins, etc. Look for products that contain silk amino acids in the ingredients list.

When I do a protein treatment, I use a product called Nightblooming Panacea (the regular kind), it's like a leave-in that works really well as a protein treatment.

~maborosi~

missmelaniem
July 8th, 2012, 12:08 PM

Really? How does that work?

catamonica
July 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I read online about white vinegar. I sprayed it on my scalp. Half mixed with water. It lighten my darker grey hair. And lighten the red dye to almost white. All I know is it works. And apple cider vinegar, makes it red. I tried that to. Neither one makes your hair shine though.

catamonica
July 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure what's in it besides vinegar. But it's so much better than having to keep up the roots every month.

Anywhere
July 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I don't know of a way to get platinum without bleach, but as for the vinegar...

I'm assuming you leave it on the hair? I'm guessing if you do that since vinegar is acidic it might make the hair more photosensitive like citric acid does, causing it to lighten, but that's a complete shot in the dark on my part. I don't know near enough about vinegar and acids and hair lightening. :p

Back to the blonde though. If you get it bleached platinum, well. You'll only have to do it once, and then only on new growth. So as long as you're not bleaching your whole entire head every time it shouldn't be too bad imo.

catamonica
July 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I do leave the vinegar on the hair. But it doesn't make grey hair shine.

jojo
July 8th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I read online about white vinegar. I sprayed it on my scalp. Half mixed with water. It lighten my darker grey hair. And lighten the red dye to almost white. All I know is it works. And apple cider vinegar, makes it red. I tried that to. Neither one makes your hair shine though.

I've used white vinegar for the last few years and this has never happended to me:confused:

catamonica
July 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
jojo, what does white vinegar do for your hair? I think because I'm all grey. That's why it lightens it. But I have to spray it several times a day, to get it to lighten enough.

Diamond.Eyes
July 8th, 2012, 07:22 PM
One can still have healthy bleached hair if you deep condition it often, rarely use heat styling, and practice proper brushig techniques. One of my best friends has hip length hair that is bleached blonde, and it is some of the healthiest hair I have ever seen/felt. :)