PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Guest Hairstyles?

MintChocChip
July 5th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Ok, so I have a quick question for you lovely LHCers.

I'm going to a wedding a week tomorrow (my cousin is finally getting married after over a 2 year engagement, exciting!) anyway I was just wondering what is the best hairstyle for a guest at a wedding? I was thinking of an updo, but not too fancy because it's not my day obviously. I'm not sure if the bride will have her hair in an updo (more common I think?) or down. What I do know is she's been growing her hair for her wedding and it's at around waist length now, so she may well decide to have her hair down! (I've tried getting it out of her what she'll do but quite rightfully she wants to keep it a secret until the day :D)

Also, I'm going to be in my sister's graduation pictures in the morning too, so I'm hoping I'll kill two birds with one stone and find something suitable for both and won't have to faff around changing my hair halfway through the day etc.

So, what would you do with your hair for someone else's wedding? I'd love to hear your suggestions. I was thinking of maybe something braid related, but I can't quite decide what would be appropiate.

One quick note: I did do a search before making this subject thread but could only find wedding hair threads for the bride, rather than a guest. I might have missed something, in which case please feel free to point me in the right direction. :)

ETA: Just to clarify I know all eyes will be on the bride, but I didn't want any suggestions that are too elaborate/fancy in case it looks like I'm trying to upstage her (in the same way that some people think wearing white to a wedding if you're a woman and not the bride is considered rude in some places.) I think about small things like that, and I'd like to think of myself as a fairly considerate person so I really just fancied an idea of understated but pretty styles that will look good in the photos but not look over the top almost. Sorry if I wasn't clear! :)

meishkamooshka
July 5th, 2012, 01:28 AM
Honestly MintChocChip, I think the lovely crown braid style in your avi is understated, beautiful, and elegant enough for a wedding, without the potential of "outdoing" the bride.

:heart:

I also think the romantic, classic feel to it suits your features well and would look good in your sister's graduation photos (congrats to her, by the way)!

MintChocChip
July 5th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Honestly MintChocChip, I think the lovely crown braid style in your avi is understated, beautiful, and elegant enough for a wedding, without the potential of "outdoing" the bride.

I also think the romantic, classic feel to it suits your features well and would look good in your sister's graduation photos (congrats to her, by the way)!

Aw thanks! :) You're so nice. I was thinking about doing the crown style braid too (it was between that or maybe a waterfall braid, I'm not fantastic at that yet though, I normally get my hands confused so maybe the crown style braid will be a safer bet.)

Thanks for the advice meishkamooshka! :)

Bene
July 5th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Trust me, as long as your hair isn't singing/glowing/flashing or doing anything that hair really shouldn't be doing, it's not going to draw attention away from the bride. Like you said, it's obviously not your day. No one is going to stop looking at the bride just to look at your hair. I know this is hard for hair people to imagine, but hairtoys/buns/updos in the real world really don't draw that much attention :laugh:

Same goes for funerals, graduations, special parties, etc. I've been to all with my hair minding its own business and it hasn't done anything other than get some older lady at a funeral (the dead guy's mom) to ask me "Are those sticks actually holding your hair up?"

Formal event, stick with formal (tasteful) hair accessories. Nothing overly bright, nothing neon, nothing dangly-foo-foo, nothing that makes it's own noise.

MintChocChip
July 5th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Trust me, as long as your hair isn't singing/glowing/flashing or doing anything that hair really shouldn't be doing, it's not going to draw attention away from the bride. Like you said, it's obviously not your day. No one is going to stop looking at the bride just to look at your hair. I know this is hard for hair people to imagine, but hairtoys/buns/updos in the real world really don't draw that much attention :laugh:

Same goes for funerals, graduations, special parties, etc. I've been to all with my hair minding its own business and it hasn't done anything other than get some older lady at a funeral (the dead guy's mom) to ask me "Are those sticks actually holding your hair up?"

Formal event, stick with formal (tasteful) hair accessories. Nothing overly bright, nothing neon, nothing dangly-foo-foo, nothing that makes it's own noise.

Oh I know it won't draw attention away from the bride! Sorry, I was probably not that clear... I simply meant I don't want to do something super elaborate and look like I've gone out of my way to upstage her or something. But obviously yeah all eyes will be on her!

Thanks for the advice! :)

ETA: you're probably right though in the sense that other people won't even notice hair in quite the same way LHC might! Must bear that in mind :D

Bene
July 5th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Unless you prance on in, wearing a wedding dress complete with corset and petticoats, breathing your way through 3 verses of "Like a Virgin", no one is going to think you're trying to upstage the bride :laugh:

My personal rule to this, just to balance things out:

Intricate updo/bun= subtle hair accessory.
Simple bun = okay to have a tiny bit of flair.

You could be wearing a three braid celtic bun with extra swirls to accent it and, unless your body language says "LOOK AT MAH HAIR!!!", no one will notice.

Ishje
July 5th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I know this is hard for hair people to imagine, but hairtoys/buns/updos in the real world really don't draw that much attention :laugh:

this made me giggle a bit, I remember going out once with my brand new utterly gorgeous pair of hair sticks, and nobody noticed for a whole day.
I was shocked to say the least :p

to get back to the subject, I also think the braided updo in your picture is gorgeous, and very appropriate for a wedding!

MintChocChip
July 5th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Unless you prance on in, wearing a wedding dress complete with corset and petticoats, breathing your way through 3 verses of "Like a Virgin", no one is going to think you're trying to upstage the bride :laugh:

My personal rule to this, just to balance things out:

Intricate updo/bun= subtle hair accessory.
Simple bun = okay to have a tiny bit of flair.

You could be wearing a three braid celtic bun with extra swirls to accent it and, unless your body language says "LOOK AT MAH HAIR!!!", no one will notice.

Aw man, that's me looking for a new outfit! (Kidding! :p)

You make a good point, Bene! I suppose I just forget that actually in the grand scheme of things no-one there will really care what I do with my hair for someone else's wedding. :D (Apart from me obviously, hehe.)

Ishje - ok 2 votes for that hairstyle! Thanks, I might go for that in that case! :)

jacqueline101
July 5th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I like the hair do in your aviator picture.

afu
July 5th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Another vote for the hair in your avatar, it looks beautiful :)

Isilme
July 5th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Just stick to something you know is going to last all day and you have done before. You don't want to have to fuss with your hair.
I also like the crown braid in your avatar. A low chignon is also a classic.

Trivial
July 5th, 2012, 03:52 AM

This! I thought the same when I read your question! :)

MintChocChip
July 5th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I like the hair do in your aviator picture.

Another vote for the hair in your avatar, it looks beautiful :)

Thank you both! :) I suppose it is quite wedding guest appropiate :D

Just stick to something you know is going to last all day and you have done before. You don't want to have to fuss with your hair.
I also like the crown braid in your avatar. A low chignon is also a classic.

Ooh, I like the idea of a low chignon! Might try that tonight, and see if it looks good with the outfit I had planned. Thanks for the tip! Good point about the style having to last! Thankfully I already know the crown style braid holds up well all day (even on a windy day) because I tested it out a couple of weeks ago all day and it remained pretty secure.

This! I thought the same when I read your question! :)

Thank you! :) Looks like the majority of people think the hairstyle in my av would be best. I'll probably do that on the day.

Thanks for everyone's opinions and nice comments! :)

Tisiloves
July 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Avatar plaits, or maybe a Gibson tuck with nice flower clippies (or other types, I have some lovely butterflies that I keep meaning to wear).

Madora
July 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Perhaps a two strand lace twist crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Alvrodul
July 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM
A Gibson tuck would be lovely and elegant, and would be very suitable for a wedding. You can choose accessories that suit whatever you are wearing, but you should definitely avoid white, or anything too large, too glittery and too bridal - and it may be political to avoid the wedding colors too, since that might be a big deal for some.
If not a Gibson tuck, something that will stay nice all day, and hold up to a lot of dancing! ;)

spirals
July 5th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I never thought of that--upstaging the bride. But then, I haven't been to a wedding since my damaged-hair days. I'd go with some kind of updo. I tend to get hair attention when it's down.

longNred
July 5th, 2012, 10:02 AM
for me, it absolutely depends on what you are wearing to each event.

for example, I was a guest at a wedding just yesterday - I wore a short neutral dress (gray bottom, high black waist band, white V neck top), with a big bold red beaded necklace - hair up in a simple sock bun, which considering it was a million degrees and the AC was broken, was a good choice. but the focus was my necklace, which I didn't want to compete with a fancy braid or updo.

meishkamooshka
July 5th, 2012, 11:07 AM
The other suggestions have also been great. I think the Gibson tuck and the link Madora provided would also look nice in your hair!

MintChocChip
July 6th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Avatar plaits, or maybe a Gibson tuck with nice flower clippies (or other types, I have some lovely butterflies that I keep meaning to wear).

Ooh, what are avatar plaits? I tried a youtube search and it didn't come up with any hair tutorials... Thanks for the tip on a Gibson tuck, I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it and have just looked it up and tried it out. It looks very pretty on the person on youtube, but I haven't quite got the knack just yet. But it's a lovely idea for a wedding guest hairstyle, thanks! :) Just need to practice!

Perhaps a two strand lace twist crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ)

Thanks for the advice Madora! I love that hairstyle so much! It's so pretty, but like the Gibson tuck I haven't quite mastered it yet, but I've got a week to learn! :D

A Gibson tuck would be lovely and elegant, and would be very suitable for a wedding. You can choose accessories that suit whatever you are wearing, but you should definitely avoid white, or anything too large, too glittery and too bridal - and it may be political to avoid the wedding colors too, since that might be a big deal for some.
If not a Gibson tuck, something that will stay nice all day, and hold up to a lot of dancing! ;)

You're so right about avoiding anything too large, white or bridal etc. Thanks for the tip! :)

I never thought of that--upstaging the bride. But then, I haven't been to a wedding since my damaged-hair days. I'd go with some kind of updo. I tend to get hair attention when it's down.

Ah, well my hair is nowhere near long enough to get any attention when it's down :D (the bride's would, she has gorgeous waist length hair which she's been growing for the wedding. It's so pretty!)
Ta for the tip! :)

for me, it absolutely depends on what you are wearing to each event.

for example, I was a guest at a wedding just yesterday - I wore a short neutral dress (gray bottom, high black waist band, white V neck top), with a big bold red beaded necklace - hair up in a simple sock bun, which considering it was a million degrees and the AC was broken, was a good choice. but the focus was my necklace, which I didn't want to compete with a fancy braid or updo.

Oooh, I like the idea of a sock bun for a wedding too actually! I'm not going to be wearing any jewellary apart from maybe a pair of earrings or a small necklace. I really need to sort out what I'm going to wear first and then choose a hairstyle to match! :D

The other suggestions have also been great. I think the Gibson tuck and the link Madora provided would also look nice in your hair!

Cool, yep some good suggestions have come up! And thanks! :)

LovelyL
July 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I know you're asking for hairstyles, but it is a shame hats seem to be in decline for wedding guests. btw is this just an English thing to wear a hat to a wedding? None of the American commenters have mentioned hats... If you're really anti-hat, maybe a pretty fascinator? It's not like one can either a hat or fascinator in day to day life, might as well make use of a wedding.

and yeah echoing what everyone else is saying - hairstyles aren't really on other people's radar, so you can get away with as simple or as complicated as you like

piffyanne
July 6th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I myself am leaning toward the Fabulous Hat myself. They're highly appropriate for weddings, but no one wears them! D:

I wear a new Fabulous Hat to each of the meetings of the local chapter of the Jane Austen Society (hijack: join ussssss! /end hijack/) and get NOTHING but compliments. By nature of having the only one in the room, you will stand out, but I don't think it would be in a bad way.

If you decide on hatlessness, why not the crown braid with a couple jeweled clips and a piffy puff of feathers? You can have your braid and sparklies too!:D

MintChocChip
July 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I know you're asking for hairstyles, but it is a shame hats seem to be in decline for wedding guests. btw is this just an English thing to wear a hat to a wedding? None of the American commenters have mentioned hats... If you're really anti-hat, maybe a pretty fascinator? It's not like one can either a hat or fascinator in day to day life, might as well make use of a wedding.

and yeah echoing what everyone else is saying - hairstyles aren't really on other people's radar, so you can get away with as simple or as complicated as you like

I myself am leaning toward the Fabulous Hat myself. They're highly appropriate for weddings, but no one wears them! D:

I wear a new Fabulous Hat to each of the meetings of the local chapter of the Jane Austen Society (hijack: join ussssss! /end hijack/) and get NOTHING but compliments. By nature of having the only one in the room, you will stand out, but I don't think it would be in a bad way.

If you decide on hatlessness, why not the crown braid with a couple jeweled clips and a piffy puff of feathers? You can have your braid and sparklies too!:D

Interesting, I never thought to wear a hat/fascinator. LovelyL, interesting that you say it's unusual to wear hats/fascinators in daily life, I'm always wearing hats when I'm out and about! :D
I don't really have a hat appropiate for a wedding though, and I don't own a fascinator and I'm a bit short of money at the moment so I'll probably give the hat option a miss this time. I'll definately consider it next time I've got a wedding to go to though! :) Thanks for your opinions!

Odonata
July 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I agree a soft romantic boho braid look if you like you can accent it with a flower clip or something to compliment your outfit.

Syaoransbear
July 6th, 2012, 09:39 AM
As someone who is getting married in a little over a month, I'd prefer it if everyone came looking like garbage so that I looked better. Beer shirts, pajamas, and crazy bedhead is preferable. If I'm the only person there who has showered in the last month, then bonus.

Esenin
July 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I think your avatar braid would be lovely; beautiful, not overbearing, and fuss-free :)

holothuroidea
July 6th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I honestly think that the crown braids are a little too much if your aim is to not upstage the bride. It's not something that people see very often so I think it would be really eye catching.

I would go with something simpler, like a french twist/gibson tuck or a low chignon for an up do. If you're in the mood to have your hair down, a half up or a side braid would be nice.

I will say though, that when I was a bride, I didn't mind at all about being upstaged. I was really happy that my wedding was an occasion to get all dolled up for and the fancier people looked the happier I was. :D

Tisiloves
July 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Ooh, what are avatar plaits? I tried a youtube search and it didn't come up with any hair tutorials... Thanks for the tip on a Gibson tuck, I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it and have just looked it up and tried it out. It looks very pretty on the person on youtube, but I haven't quite got the knack just yet. But it's a lovely idea for a wedding guest hairstyle, thanks! :) Just need to practice!

Avatar plaits= the plaits in your avatar, sorry I sometimes forget that other people aren't inside my head.

meishkamooshka
July 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
As someone who is getting married in a little over a month, I'd prefer it if everyone came looking like garbage so that I looked better. Beer shirts, pajamas, and crazy bedhead is preferable. If I'm the only person there who has showered in the last month, then bonus.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA :rolling:

MintChocChip
July 6th, 2012, 03:10 PM
agree a soft romantic boho braid look if you like you can accent it with a flower clip or something to compliment your outfit

That's a good idea to use a flower clip. I've got so many that i hardly ever use and it would be a perfect excuse to get one or two out! :)

Ha! Noted. :D

I think your avatar braid would be lovely; beautiful, not overbearing, and fuss-free :)

Thank you! :) I am leaning towards that seeing as lots of people have suggested I do that :D

I honestly think that the crown braids are a little too much if your aim is to not upstage the bride. It's not something that people see very often so I think it would be really eye catching.

I would go with something simpler, like a french twist/gibson tuck or a low chignon for an up do. If you're in the mood to have your hair down, a half up or a side braid would be nice.

I will say though, that when I was a bride, I didn't mind at all about being upstaged. I was really happy that my wedding was an occasion to get all dolled up for and the fancier people looked the happier I was. :D

Yeah I want to look like I've made an effort because it's an important day and I don't want to look scruffy! French twist is a nice idea! I hardly ever do them either, so it'll be something a bit different from what I usually go for.

Avatar plaits= the plaits in your avatar, sorry I sometimes forget that other people aren't inside my head.

Ah ok! Gotcha, sorry I should have probably realised that's what you meant! I thought maybe it was a hair tutorial based on the film Avatar (I've never seen it, they might have had awesome braids for all I know! hehe)

Libbylou
July 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Another vote for your avatar picture.