PDA

View Full Version : tie idea - advice?

intothemist1999
August 2nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
What I've been trying to do is put in a pony then double it over to create loop to make it shorter. I've tried using a ponytail holder and pulling the last "pull through" only half way, but it never holds and when I try to take the holder out, it's torture.

I tried putting in a pony, doubling the hair over and using a second holder to constrain the ends near the first holder, at the nape of my neck..if that makes any sense. It's just not working -- it's too unmanageable.

Any ideas for some other way of tying the ends in that position so they don't fall out?

TIA! :flower:

freznow
August 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
What kind of hair tie do you use? I have these nylon (I think...) ones, kinda like the pantyhose idea only I bought them from the dollar store. They hold quite well for me as long as I use the right size.

tinah
August 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
i always used a scrunchie. it worked fine.

frizzinator
August 2nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
I've tried using a ponytail holder and pulling the last "pull through" only half way, but it never holds and when I try to take the holder out, it's torture.

Would you explain this a bit more? I'm confused because if it never holds, then what are you taking out of the ponytail holder?

You're not refering to the tail end of your ponytail are you? I assume your ultimate intention is to wrap the tail end around the ponytail holder.

Aisha25
August 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
I thought she was talking about tieing it without a holder? I am trying to do this so I dont have to use a scrunchy or any holders.

freznow
August 2nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Would you explain this a bit more? I'm confused because if it never holds, then what are you taking out of the ponytail holder?

You're not refering to the tail end of your ponytail are you? I assume your ultimate intention is to wrap the tail end around the ponytail holder.

She's doing a looped pony. When, the last time you pull the tail through the pony holder, you don't pull it through all the way, so there's a loop. The thing is, if I (you/her; whichever person you like to use in hypothetical situations) don't use the right size and type of tie, some hair slips and some doesn't and it just becomes a tangled mess. I wore this for running once, and it worked okay! Then I used it again the next time, but I must have used a different sized tie because it was horrid to untangle.

ETA: Aisha, the only time I've ever gotten my hair to hold by itself is on a late wash day with tons of braid waves to hold up a tight 'soft nautilus' (otherwise known as the inside out) bun. Have you tried that? It stays while I'm sitting, and some walking, but I couldn't really wear it out.

Aisha25
August 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
She's doing a looped pony. When, the last time you pull the tail through the pony holder, you don't pull it through all the way, so there's a loop. The thing is, if I (you/her; whichever person you like to use in hypothetical situations) don't use the right size and type of tie, some hair slips and some doesn't and it just becomes a tangled mess.
Oh ok thanks freznow:smile:

missmanytoes
August 2nd, 2008, 09:19 PM
intothemist1999, if you're just trying to make it shorter, tie a knot in it (with or without putting it into a pony first) and then secure with a hairstick. For me that makes a pony I can deal with on a hot, humid day and way fewer tangles than a looped pony.

intothemist1999
August 2nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
She's doing a looped pony. When, the last time you pull the tail through the pony holder, you don't pull it through all the way, so there's a loop. The thing is, if I (you/her; whichever person you like to use in hypothetical situations) don't use the right size and type of tie, some hair slips and some doesn't and it just becomes a tangled mess. I wore this for running once, and it worked okay! Then I used it again the next time, but I must have used a different sized tie because it was horrid to untangle.

Sorry for the confusion! Yes, this what I tried, it didn't hold, so I tried to take it out, which was awful!

What I was aiming to do is this: imagine a ponytail, then I fold the tail in half, with the ends coming up to the ponytail holder (covered elastic). Then, I tried a second elastic basically over the first one, catching the top of the original pony, plus the ends.

Hoping that makes more sense! :o

frizzinator
August 2nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
If I use a ponytail holder that is not firm enough, my hair will fall out, but since it's not a firm ponytail holder, my hair easily slides out of it without torture. I always wrap the tail around the ponytail holder. Otherwise the tail flops around, feels heavy, unbalanced, and is uncomfortable. Which is why I was thinking that a looped pony was only comfortable for folks with shorter hair.

Freznow, I'm amazed that you can do a looped pony, and can hardly believe you were able to run with it! Thanks Freznow and Intothemist99 for explaining. Intothemist99, I can remember trying to use a second ponytail holder and like you I found it to be totally useless. I also remember going through all my ponytail holders, trying to find one that was firm enough. It worked for me with homemade wide cut hoisery....but I wasn't letting the tail hang, I wrapped the tail around the looped pony.

missmanytoes
August 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
I'm thinking that your could braid your pony and then tie off the bottom and tuck it into your top holder. Or maybe you could tie off the bottom of your pony and tuck that into the top holder? My hair is cut into a u-shape, so I've never had great success with a looped pony. I hope you find a way to manage!

frizzinator
August 2nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
The more I think about this, why wouldn't Angelthadiva's catapillar style in the Articles section work with a looped pony? Use several hair hoisery ponytail holders, and make that short pony like a hanging log? It wouldn't fall out for sure. Of course, it wouldn't be a loop anymore.

Nevermore
August 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
I used to wear looped ponies all the time. Your hair is different than mine, but the key imo is to use less hair friendly elastics. Giant, or even not-so-giant, cloth covered scrunchies just don't seem to work, those little clear ones goody makes work pretty well though. They're not rubber bands, they're like smoother, less grippy rubber band things though.

Also, try making the pony where you want it, twisting the hair, then making your loop and securing with another elastic.

liseling
August 3rd, 2008, 05:09 AM
Also, have you just tried making another twist in the elastic so it's tighter and holds your hair more tightly?