PDA

View Full Version : Any NOT use conditioner???

longhairedlady
July 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM
OK I ran out of conditioner and of course when I went to buy some more the store wasnt carrying it anymore. While I track down some more I washed my hair with just shampoo, and I have to say it looks the best it has ever looked. But Im worried about it getting damaged if I continue to do this. Does anyone have any experience with not using conditioner???

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM
The last time I washed I decided to take hairtyping photos, so I clarified and rinsed in cold water. My hair looks nice and shiny and feels great. However, it's quite frizzy. I think if I did this on a regular basis my hair would get quite dry and break.

kidari
July 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Mine looked amazing when I only used shampoo and then a leave-in spray conditioner. Also, coconut oil shampoo method and no conditioner worked as well... HOWEVER, long term shampoo-only washings did dry out my hair over time. Now I wash, conditioner, and then condition again with a leave-in. Occasionally only using shampoo once in a while when I feel my hair is limp and oilier than normal works best for me.

GrowingGlory
July 4th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I don't, but I take organic coconut oil and honey on an empty stomach, section my hair and give it a conditioning brushing, and wash with a non-stripping (doesn't remove more sebum than it should) protective hair and body wash. I also brush it with a WIDU Bamboo brush, then a MP BBB morning and evening.

I find that conditioners increase sebum production for me, and the sebum isn't absorbed by my hair. Instead, it just stays on the outside looking as though it needs to be brushed down the length or washed off. When I don't use conditioner, my sebum production is more moderate and my hair absorbs any excess. This makes stretching washes much easier for me.

summerfox
July 5th, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'm curious why conditioner would influence sebum production since most conditioners suggest conditioning mainly at the ends and not at the roots. Interesting. I went without conditioner for a long time (without doing much else) and it didn't work. It became dull and lifeless and I ended up having to cut a lot off and start over.

Zindell
July 5th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I haven't used conditioner during this summer so far. I like to get my blonde hair bleached by the sun (oh, yes hehee), and it feels like putting a conditioner on top would be wrong. I want my hair to be as natural as possible when I am out in the sun for this purpose.

Maybe I am crazy :)

But my hair doesn't seem to suffer by this. In fact it even feels softer and has more shine than usual. Hmm...

afu
July 5th, 2012, 03:21 AM
My hair really hates being shampooed, neverminf without being followed by conditioner! I guess it probably depends a lot on damage, my hair has old heat and bleach damage to the lengths so gets very dry, maybe in it's virgin stateit would tolerate shampoo only.

I suspect shampoo only would work best alongside stretched washes and bbb'ing - after all that is what they used to do in the past

Theobroma
July 5th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I stopped using conditioner in January and switched to wet oiling. I find that a few drops of EVOO combed through wet hair as a leave-in makes my hair just as soft and manageable as conditioner does.

Guenever
July 5th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Me! I haven't used conditioner in aaaaages..
Shampoo bars followed by ACV rinses (and the occational oiling) seems to do the job :)

Mayflower
July 5th, 2012, 03:50 AM
I actually grew my hair to waist+ without using conditioner, ever. I thought it would make my hair limp and without volume (even though I knew not to apply it at the roots). But after years and years of henndigo and not using conditioner (and SLS shampoo :eek:), it got quite dry with some breakage. Nothing major though. So now I have found a great conditioner that I've been using for the past couple of months (+ SLS-free shampoo) and the breakage's almost gone. I think it's okay to skip conditioner as long as it works for your hair. If it starts to dry out, use conditioner again!

kpzra
July 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I only use it about once a week or so. I don't shampoo everyday (stay at home mom so she doesn't care).

longhairedlady
July 5th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses! I think Im gonna give this a try and see what happens! :D

Astraea
July 5th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I stopped using conditioner in January and switched to wet oiling. I find that a few drops of EVOO combed through wet hair as a leave-in makes my hair just as soft and manageable as conditioner does.

Agreed! I WO and then apply an oil or pomade and hair feels healthful and soft. Never heard the term wet oiling, much easier to describe that way!

spidermom
July 5th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Conditioners leave a deposit on your hair that can take several washings to remove. This past spring I keep washing but not conditioning my hair because DD was supposed to come over and apply Manic Panic to my hair. We kept post-poning it, and my hair seemed conditioned for about 3-4 weeks. I did get to the point of needing it, however. The conditioning effect can last for a long time but not forever.

lmfbs
July 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I don't, but I take organic coconut oil and honey on an empty stomach, section my hair and give it a conditioning brushing, and wash with a non-stripping (doesn't remove more sebum than it should) protective hair and body wash. I also brush it with a WIDU Bamboo brush, then a MP BBB morning and evening.

I find that conditioners increase sebum production for me, and the sebum isn't absorbed by my hair. Instead, it just stays on the outside looking as though it needs to be brushed down the length or washed off. When I don't use conditioner, my sebum production is more moderate and my hair absorbs any excess. This makes stretching washes much easier for me.

You eat the coconut oil and honey? And it conditions your hair?

What is a conditioning brushing?

Quixii
July 5th, 2012, 03:39 PM
My hair would cry and die a painful death without conditioner. :wail:

SerinaDaith
July 5th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I can skip conditioner if I skip shampoo if I shampoo at all my hair must be conditioned or it is BAD. I can WO and light oil though. We live in a dry climate so I guess that is part of it. That and the dye still being grown out.

ratgirldjh
July 5th, 2012, 03:51 PM
My hair hates conditioner. So I never use it.

I really have pretty much never used it since I was in my 20's. Years ago I found that if I diluted my shampoo and then used a few drops of rosemary essential oil on my ends that it worked great.

Then they stopped making my shampoo that I had used for 20 years and I found out I was allergic to most shampoos these days!!!

So I found this forum! And found other ways to wash. I did try CO washing and found that of the few conditioners I am not allergic to my hated them all.

So now I either use soap and an ACV rinse or clay and an ACV rinse.

I have been using soap or some other alternative for years now.

Carolyn
July 5th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't have any hair left if I didn't use conditioner. There is no way I could use shampoo and not use conditioner. I like the way conditioner makes my hair feel and behave. I use it roots to tips or I would never be able to comb through it.

catamonica
July 6th, 2012, 12:55 AM
My hair would be dry without conditioner. I have to have soft hair. Can't do without my conditioner.

UpNorth
July 6th, 2012, 01:01 AM
My hair seems more vibrant without, but it does get dry after a few days, just after washing it it feels amazing. I Think I maybe will use only catnip or vinegar rinses as conditioner this summer.

lundmir
July 6th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I'm using Mane 'n Tail shampoo, and after it, an ACV rinse. No conditioner, and my hair looks and feels fabulous.

meteor
July 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
When my hair was all-virgin, I easily maintained beautiful tailbone length with only cheap Garnier Fructis shampoo. Conditioner was useless at best, and weighing my hair down at worst.
However, after way too many chemical processing sessions (highlights), I really MUST use the heaviest conditioners, otherwise my hair tangles like crazy and I get lots of breakage, especially in highlighted sections of my hair.

Manny1826
July 6th, 2012, 02:07 PM
What is Mane and Tail Shampoo? is that actually for horses? i did a search on it and that's all i could find was that it was shampoo for horses?

auburntressed
July 6th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I never use conditioner anymore. All conditioners I have ever tired over the years make my hair feel coated and gross.

I usually treat my ends in either coconut oil or olive oil before a wash - just lightly. Let it sit for a half hour before I get in the shower. Then I do an ACV rinse after. It works well for me.

Lady Neeva
July 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I'll cut my hair back to APL if I did use conditioner! (It's the greasiness)

Libbylou
July 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I never use conditioner anymore. I have been thinking about getting some toadstool leave in as my hair grows. Only barely apl now, but I want to protect those precious ends. Only use a drop or two of mineral oil now.

lundmir
July 6th, 2012, 04:56 PM
What is Mane and Tail Shampoo? is that actually for horses? i did a search on it and that's all i could find was that it was shampoo for horses?

Yes, it is horse shampoo, but people use it too. I visited their website and it seems they are marketing it to people instead of horses, though. It is rich in protein.