PDA

View Full Version : S&D for ringlet curls?

moltabella
July 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hey Everyone,

So, whenever I S&D it's harder to really see all my ends together as I have curly ringlets (see avatar). So usually, I section my hair and then twist the ringlets all the way down and the ends pop out and I can see the splits fairly easily against my computer screen.

Is there another way you ladies n gents with ringlets recommend doing a S&D? While this method is effective, sometimes I lose strands and idk if they were gonna fall out anyway or if i'm pulling them out. >_<

Thanks.

MandyBeth
July 4th, 2012, 09:50 PM
On my daughter, I can't see that much damage in the middle, but when her ends go haywire, I cut the curl off where the curl stops clumping. I just cut that curl in the middle of the curl and work around her head. I oil her hair so it clumps up into 20 or so curls before cutting. I suspect her hemline is shot to hell, but she is SO curly, minor off areas don't show up when it's done. Since her hair isn't ever straightened, meh.

moltabella
July 4th, 2012, 10:02 PM
On my daughter, I can't see that much damage in the middle, but when her ends go haywire, I cut the curl off where the curl stops clumping. I just cut that curl in the middle of the curl and work around her head. I oil her hair so it clumps up into 20 or so curls before cutting. I suspect her hemline is shot to hell, but she is SO curly, minor off areas don't show up when it's done. Since her hair isn't ever straightened, meh.

so you basically just trim her ends every so often then?

CurlyCap
July 4th, 2012, 10:06 PM

Yuh.

Basically, in my hair, there are certain "familiar" spirals. It changes all the time, but I expect curls in certain places. If I run my hair down a curl, I can feel the little bumps of single strand knots. If I feel it (and I care enough to S&D), I run my hand down the curl again and find the strand with the knot or split end. Cut. Repeat.

I can't ever hold my hair up to the light like a straightie and just have the bad ends self-identify. Part of it is that, with my curls, the ends are tucked into the curl. They don't even show themselves.

If I suspect that a curl has a lot of strands with problems, I just do what Mandy Beth described above and just cut the whole curl just above where the problems begin.

Thing is, after I learned how to take care of my hair better and give it enough moisture....split ends disappeared. I only trim now for reshaping or velcro ends.

Hope that helps.

moltabella
July 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Yuh.

If I suspect that a curl has a lot of strands with problems, I just do what Mandy Beth described above and just cut the whole curl just above where the problems begin.

Thing is, after I learned how to take care of my hair better and give it enough moisture....split ends disappeared. I only trim now for reshaping or velcro ends.

Hope that helps.

it does.

My splits are getting less and less as I continue to give my hair enough moisture, as well, so i think I can afford to wait until i need to trim whole curls off, if necessary.

Thanks! :p

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Hi :waving:, another ringletted girl here.

I just smooth out the ringlet, or just S&D when my hair is stretched (I.E - banded) or straightened.

tohavelongcurls
July 5th, 2012, 07:11 AM
I just pull the ringlet straight. That way, the shorter pieces of hair curl away from the main mass and split ends are easy to see. When you are done, just let go and the curl springs back. I just go through my head, curl by curl.

SpinDance
July 5th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I just pull the ringlet straight. That way, the shorter pieces of hair curl away from the main mass and split ends are easy to see. When you are done, just let go and the curl springs back. I just go through my head, curl by curl.

Interesting that you with so much curl do basically what I do with almost none. I have just enough wave that it isn't straight, but I take little sections, locks of hair, and go through them one by one when I S&D. I also straighten or bend the lock so that the ends pop out of it to see if they need to be cleaned up.

MandyBeth
July 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM
so you basically just trim her ends every so often then?

Yup, she's growing out damage, so cutting length is normal now.

Basically, when her hair doesn't need a cut, to the ends, the curls stay clumped mostly. They may frizz out, but that's just normal daily wear.

When she needs a cut, the curl stops clumping at the end. They just aren't what is normal. Kind of like a new paintbrush vs a used and abused paintbrush.

When I put J in braid waves, the ends were kind of wonky but not too visible and she hasn't wanted straight or straighter hair since then. So I cut so the curls look good. If at 16, she wants to run around with straight hair, we'll deal with that then.

There is damage higher up. But if I S&D every damaged strand, I may as well just cut all her hair off at shoulder pulled straight. Her hair goes female mid calf pulled straight to waist or hip curly. Short will not be a good idea for her.

Tigermama
July 5th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I like to damp bun my hair and then s&d. Another style that makes it straighter is to put ponytail holders all the way down and let it dry this way. This makes it straight enough to see the damaged bits. I used to trim every individual curl but now I use faye's method, in an attempt to get less of a taper.

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Her hair goes female mid calf pulled straight to waist or hip curly. Short will not be a good idea for her.

OMG, her hair sounds amazing. I wanna see!

tohavelongcurls
July 5th, 2012, 11:17 AM
That's really cool, SpinDance. I had no idea that my method worked for wavy hair too! (Not that it's really 'my method', but it's what has worked for me so far).