PDA

View Full Version : Trims - tell me about yours!

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
What things do you consider when deciding to trim?

Is it just a schedule, so you trim every 6 months?

Do you grab a bit of hair and if more than x number of splits are found it's trim time?

Do you trim if you have velcro ends?

Do you try any treatments first before resorting to a trim?

How much do you trim? How do you decide how much to trim?

maborosi
July 4th, 2012, 08:30 PM
So...I only trim my fringe/bangs (about once a month) unless the rest of my hair needs it.

I only trim if I see splits. Every time I trim, I usually cut off about 1/4 of an inch.

I used to schedule my trims when I had WL hair, but now my hair is in such good condition that I don't have to.

~maborosi~

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM
So...I only trim my fringe/bangs (about once a month) unless the rest of my hair needs it.

I only trim if I see splits. Every time I trim, I usually cut off about 1/4 of an inch.

I used to schedule my trims when I had WL hair, but now my hair is in such good condition that I don't have to.

~maborosi~

How many splits do you have to see before you decide to trim? I'm wondering if I should trim rather than S&D

jeanniet
July 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM
If you mean a real trim (which to me means at least 1/2"), I haven't had one in almost three years. But I do microtrim (1/8-1/4") when I feel like I need it. Lately that's been monthly--I still have 3-4" of pre-LHC hair that needs to come off at some point, but since I don't want to lose length, I'm doing teeny tiny trims instead.

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
If you mean a real trim (which to me means at least 1/2"), I haven't had one in almost three years. But I do microtrim (1/8-1/4") when I feel like I need it. Lately that's been monthly--I still have 3-4" of pre-LHC hair that needs to come off at some point, but since I don't want to lose length, I'm doing teeny tiny trims instead.

I should probably do that and maintain at waist for a few months. I have about 10 inches of non-virgin hair that I want to get rid of. I'll be at waist forever though :(

maborosi
July 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM
How many splits do you have to see before you decide to trim? I'm wondering if I should trim rather than S&D

Well sometimes when I see a noticeable one pop up, I trim it right there. Usually though I would trim once I began to feel the ends getting unruly. When my hair was longer and I was dyeing it monthly, that was about every two months or so I think? But I also did little dustings to keep it down. I didn't really have the time or patience to do a full on s&d.

I haven't been mean to my hair in a long time, so the last time I saw a split was probably back in January...my last trim was probably back in April and was completely unnecessary, I was just doing it to even out the length a little xD

~maborosi~

Long_hair_bear
July 4th, 2012, 08:42 PM
I trim when my very trusted hair dresser tells me I need one. I have her do it, cause if I tried, it'd end up zig zag. :) my last trim was October 2011. I'm due for another one soon. :( my hairdresser is awesome though and has told me up till now that I don't need a trim..... So lovely to have a trusted hair dresser!

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Well sometimes when I see a noticeable one pop up, I trim it right there. Usually though I would trim once I began to feel the ends getting unruly. When my hair was longer and I was dyeing it monthly, that was about every two months or so I think? But I also did little dustings to keep it down. I didn't really have the time or patience to do a full on s&d.

I haven't been mean to my hair in a long time, so the last time I saw a split was probably back in January...my last trim was probably back in April and was completely unnecessary, I was just doing it to even out the length a little xD

~maborosi~

Ah, I can't wait until I can say that! I have quite a few, but don't seem to get many new ones, just ones I haven't caught yet!

prettykitty
July 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM
At present I micro trim almost every month, but I am maintaining to gain some thickness. I take off about a quarter of an inch a month. If I'm actively growing, I just take off a quarter of an inch every three or four months, just to keep the ends nice. A lot of the time I think I need a trim, but I clarify and oil the ends and they start behaving again :)
I don't really get split ends, I think I've found one in the last year, and that was on a shed hair. I was horrified! My ends just sort of go bent and wiry if I go too long between trims, but for me that's a very long time.

maborosi
July 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Ah, I can't wait until I can say that! I have quite a few, but don't seem to get many new ones, just ones I haven't caught yet!

That's good! I've found that being more gentle, keeping the ends very well moisturized (they have been through a lot-bleach, regular dye, etc) avoiding heat, and doing henna have all helped keep them is really good shape! They used to tangle more, but rhese days, they've really calmed down ^^

~maborosi~

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
That's good! I've found that being more gentle, keeping the ends very well moisturized (they have been through a lot-bleach, regular dye, etc) avoiding heat, and doing henna have all helped keep them is really good shape! They used to tangle more, but rhese days, they've really calmed down ^^

~maborosi~
My ends are very tangly too and used to be very dry. My growth since I've been on LHC seems way less tangly so that's great news!

maborosi
July 4th, 2012, 09:07 PM
My ends are very tangly too and used to be very dry. My growth since I've been on LHC seems way less tangly so that's great news!

Hooray!! :3 That's great! What have you found to work for you?

~maborosi~

lmfbs
July 4th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Hooray!! :3 That's great! What have you found to work for you?

~maborosi~

Moisture. I swim a lot and in the past, wouldn't even rinse the chlorine out of my hair! My hair was just craving moisture and gentle handling!

Tia2010
July 4th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I like my ends to feel and look good .. so if my ends feel dry or tangley and nothing helps, I will get a microtrim.

Zindell
July 5th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I have an even hemline and I'm still growing my hair. When my ends starts to lose it's shine and feel a bit dry I trim them. (Well my daughter does the trim, since I haven't found a hairstylist near me that does what I want).

It is pretty much always the same timeperiod... about every 4:th month, I trim 3 cm off my hemline. (About 1,2 inch).

That means I lose about half my growth (3 cm out of 6 cm in four months), but it keeps my hair nice and shiny, so it's worth it. :)

Mayflower
July 5th, 2012, 03:56 AM
I've trimmed off a lot of growth over the past year or so, to get rid of my layers. If it has grown, I cut off another layer (or half a layer :p), which allowes me to stay at waist. My mother cuts it for me, just straight across. But I've cut it myself too sometimes, just parting my hair in the middle across my head, bringing it in front of me and cut the same amount off on either side. No fancy trim-methods for me, and it always looks super straight and neat (and if it doesn't, my waves can hide it). I think I must've cut about 9 to 10 inches off this year, and I'm already waist+ again!

FrannyG
July 5th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I trim my hair every 4 months like clockwork. My hair is very fine and straight, which is a very unforgiving combination when my ends get uneven. Fairytale ends, which are so pretty on some hair types are not so pretty on my hair.

I generally trim 1/2 of an inch when I trim.

I don't S&D, because I haven't had any split ends since 2008. I grew them all out, and the old damage is long gone.

If, between trims, I get velcro ends, I generally clarify my hair and then do a deep moisture treatment, and that takes care of that.

Perhaps it may seem like taking a few steps forward and one step back, but I prefer thicker, more even ends, and ultimately, for me, growing my hair is not a race to the finish line.

Loreley
July 5th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I maintain my length so I trim monthly. About 1/2 inch most of the time. A trim damp hair, then oil it with coconut oil. I also do S&D. When I was growing it I had the same trimming routine except I trimmed only every 2-3 months.

MintChocChip
July 5th, 2012, 04:30 AM
I've recently had my hair trimmed by my (now ex) hairdresser. I've decided to leave her hairdressing services, just not happy with her anymore unfortunately. I normally go for a trim (I used to ask for half an inch, she always used to trim an inch) every 10 weeks. I don't microtrim ever or S & D, so that's the only trim I get. I'm considering extending my trim to every 12 or 14 weeks. Not sure how much good that'll do. If I start getting a lot of splits I'll revert back to 10 weeks.

Dars
July 5th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Currently it's just taper.

Yes...sort of. When I first joined LHC I would trim very frequently to quickly rid pre-LHC damage. Once that stage was over I didn't trim for 12 months. By then I needed to trim so I decided my next trim would be halved it to 6 months. This was not enough time! So now I'm currently trying 9 months which isn't looking promising (meaning I will need to cut). After this upcoming trim I am either going to try 8 months or 10 months next time, etc.

Do you grab a bit of hair and if more than x number of splits are found it's trim time? No, not really. Nowadays I go by taper.

Do you trim if you have velcro ends? No way, I always figure out the problem first.

Do you try any treatments first before resorting to a trim? Yes of course, but treatments can't fix taper.

However much is needed to correct the taper. I don't really "mourn" the loss of my trimmed/cut hair. It will grow back. I'd rather have healthy hair, a blunt hem and shorter hair than longer, damaged and see-through hair.

bratz81
July 5th, 2012, 05:08 AM
I have some damage from pre-LHC days, bleach etc so I need to trim more often than I think I would otherwise.
Because I'm taking better case of my hair I don't get many split ends developing, so I just micro-trim every 3-4 months, when my hair needs it.
I need a wee trim at the moment actually.

Heatherzilla
July 5th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Usually just whether or not my hair feels blah. If it feels blah, it's trim time.

I am terrible at remembering to make hairdresser appointments, so no.

Do you grab a bit of hair and if more than x number of splits are found it's trim time?

Pretty much. I don't count or anything but if there are lots of splits in the ends I trim.

If they don't feel better after a bit of babying then yep.

Sure, I'll do an SMT and S&D to see if that makes my hair feel better.

I generally tell the hairdresser to cut an inch or so. They don't always measure an inch the same way I do though so that can have interesting results.

I want to learn to trim my own hair but I'm a huge wuss. I don't love going to the hairdresser so it'd be a good skill to have. Just need to be brave.

lmfbs
July 6th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys, that was super helpful! I love hearing about all the things people consider before they trim!

Zesty
July 6th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I do microtrims when I feel like it, basically, not really on a schedule. I don't have an objective way to measure damage, but if I start feeling anxious about my hair's condition I'll do a little trim. It's worked out to every 4 months ish at the soonest.

kidari
July 6th, 2012, 02:46 AM
I was maintaining to get rid of bleach damage and overly layered hair by microtrimming monthly. After a certain point, I chopped off the last 4-5 inches and now I plan on only trimming 2 times a year at most. If I trim every 6 months I may cut off an inch and if I trim once a year I may cut off 2 inches, we'll see. The first 6 month mark will be this September for me.

lesbia
July 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM
What things do you consider when deciding to trim? I look at my hemlime: I want a blunt hemline, so when it start to thin I trim. Usually my hemline starts to thin every other month. I try to wait 3 months before trimming, but when it's necessary I trim anyway!

Is it just a schedule, so you trim every 6 months? Every 3 months, sometimes every 2, or every months! It depends on my ends

Do you grab a bit of hair and if more than x number of splits are found it's trim time? no, it's time to S&D at least! If I would get right of any splits I would trim at shoulder lenght :(

Do you trim if you have velcro ends? No, I would use oils. I trim only to get ride of thinning!

Do you try any treatments first before resorting to a trim? No, there's no way to thick ends without cutting I thing

How much do you trim? How do you decide how much to trim? 1/2 or 1 cm for me. More if my ends are thin even after the first trim!

Vampyria
July 6th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I'm growing out dye and thin ends. I was trimming frequently (I cut 1 and a half sometimes 2 inches every time), about every other month and I almost got to shoulder with that.

So now decided to trim just when it's necessary.

That means, when I will start getting breakage and splits. Even if I wont, I will try to trim every 5-6 months to maintain my hemline. I'm planing to cut an inch every time, maybe less. If I get the damage before that, I would cut earlier and just half an inch.

I do treatments, if the ends just feel a little weird, if there is a lot of damage I trim.

Ticky
July 6th, 2012, 06:37 AM
The general ''should I trim?'' feeling.

Whenever I feel the need to. It can be anywhere from two times a month to once every few months.

No.

I don't get those :shrug:

Nope, maybe clarify.

I trimmed today, and I didn't know how much I'll take off. It is different every time, depending on how I am feeling. Today it was about an inch, as I plan on staying around this length for some time.

jojo
July 6th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Wel for me I used to dust, just the very ends monthly to keep them nice. Now I just trim when the ends are either thin or like Velcro. My last trim was in may when I took an inch or so off, just been checking for splits and found just 2 . I would love to go a full year without trims but for me and my fine hair that isn't possible, so trying for 2 trims a year, will see how it goes.

I have gone 2 years in the past when my hair was shorter, but with longer, older hair trims are needed to make it look better and retain length. But lots with different hair types to me can go longer in between trims, I so envy them!

torrilin
July 6th, 2012, 07:45 AM

Splits. Some are fine, but if it's making detangling unpleasant there will be trimming. Generally, a batch of search and destroy is sufficient trimming to make detangling pleasant again.

Nope. I used to do that, but by 2005 my split rate had gotten to the point where even every 6 months bordered on too often. So I'd schedule a trim at the hairdresser when I couldn't comfortably finger comb my hair after a full detangling. This means I'd completely and thoroughly detangle my hair, then drag my fingers through gently from scalp to ends. If my fingers got caught reliably at the same point over the course of a couple of weeks, I was due for a trim.

Ew, no. My hair is fine and pretty split prone. Like a lot of fine hair, it's also tangle prone, slippery, and if you yoink on the knots they slip tighter. This is all bad, and if I waited to be able to easily see how many splits I have... I'd be miserable.

I do not try to maintain totally split free hair. It's not realistic. I do try to maintain my hair at a split level that is easy to detangle.

Again, ew, no. If my ends are what I'd call velcro, again, the splits are so far out of control it's not funny.

Depends. If there are genuine velcro ends, I'll be able to see split ends if I hold my braid up to the light. And we're not talking "I found one!" but that there are many many visible splits both in my braid's tassel and along the braid.

If the ends look good but are acting like they're sticky, this tells me to try washing with shampoo all the way down to my ends. I may follow this up with a very dilute vinegar rinse. A typical rinse for me is 5-15 mL of vinegar in about 500 mL of water. The sticky feel is usually protein overload or mineral build up from our hard water.

For search and destroy, I'm snipping off individual split ends about 1/2" up from the split or (in extreme cases) tangles or matted locks. Snipping too close to the split can cause more splitting. Split ends tend to be partly caused by dryness, tho damage or breakage can lead to splits as well. So you want to allow room in case there is more damage than just the visible.

The tangles/matted locks bit sounds worse than it is. There's a particular section of hair at my nape that is prone to horrific tangles, heavy split ends, or just trying to form a mat. It's perhaps as many as 100 hairs total. This is the one area where I'm likely to find heavily feathered split ends on as many as 4-5 strands of hair at a time. In short, that one lock is a mess. So I'm learning if the mess is too extreme, just cut it out.

My old method of raking my hand through detangled hair can work very well for pinning down fruitful spots for search and destroy. If somehow the mess has gotten bad enough that individual snipping won't do the job, I trim about 1/2" past the worst of the tangling. Since hair does not grow uniformly, this can mean taking off 4" or more at a time.

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I trim half inch twice a year.

Xxanderia
July 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I'm going to have to figure out a different method to mine. I went to a hairdresser the other day for a small trim, and right off the bat she was needlessly rough, and raked a paddle brush through it when it was wet. Not my idea of a gentle trim at all.

Deborah
July 6th, 2012, 09:59 AM
My hair grows extremely fast. I cut when it is either looking uneven on the bottom, or when it just feels like the length is getting in my way. I cut off six inches two weeks ago, and am happy with the results. It is about one inch shy of tail bone, about where I like it. I used my much cheaper (off of Ebay) version of a Crea Clip, and it worked great, even doing it alone.

catamonica
July 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I do tiny trims. If I find a split end or two. But I'm never going to trim the ends. Don't need to. I wear it up most of the time. It took to may years to get to waist. Now I'm at hip. I don't want to lose any length.

shutterpillar
July 6th, 2012, 12:57 PM
I have decided to trim no more than 1/2 inch once in the spring, and then again in the fall. I use Faye's self-trimming method and strive for a slight U shape. :)

sakuraemily
July 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM

No schedule...jus whnever I see split ends or i suddenly crave short hair. No pre-trim treatments Just shampoo without conditioner. How much I trim depends on my mood.

Henrietta
July 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM
I have a schedule, I trim at the beginning of seasons. It's easy to remember for my poor little brain ;) and three months is more or less how long my new ends can go before they become irritating again.

I've got a few more inches of old damage, from pre-LHC period, and I have to get rid of it.
I trim 1-2.5 cm ( 0.4-1 inch) because that's how much I can stand without feeling the loss of length.

gthlvrmx
July 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM
My hair is healthy enough to not be scheduling trims, i just go in when i cant S&D or trim the damage off myself (id trim very little off). But it probably wont be until next summer until i need to trim my own hair again.

EtherealDoll
July 7th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I don't have a schedule but usually I trim 1-2 times a year depending on how damaged the ends are.

jojo
July 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM
My hair grows extremely fast. I cut when it is either looking uneven on the bottom, or when it just feels like the length is getting in my way. I cut off six inches two weeks ago, and am happy with the results. It is about one inch shy of tail bone, about where I like it. I used my much cheaper (off of Ebay) version of a Crea Clip, and it worked great, even doing it alone.

I got the same clip, mine works perfectly well too, I think there a great invention and have saved my hair from bigger cuts as they are more likely to get a professional result.