PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel like hairtyping a wavy/curly head?

lilliemer
July 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM
The first three pics are taken after clarifying with neutrogena and letting the hair dry naturally. I did detangle in the shower. I was a brave curly though and didn't even add conditioner! The final pic is with conditioner and a shea butter based leave in (panacea).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8147/7504900386_3830625f9c_m.jpg

Trying to show curl pattern:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8152/7504900606_3627c98651_m.jpg

Shrinkage!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8009/7504900484_61d47953ae_m.jpg

Finally, with conditioner and leave in...80-90% dry:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7264/7504900212_1a1cdd95df_m.jpg

Falcore
July 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I can't see any pictures?

lilliemer
July 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I can't see any pictures?
Sorry, I had some trouble with flickr but I think the links should be fixed now. I posted the thread without checking the links...oops. Can you let me know if the pictures are now visible to you?

SoulOfTheSea
July 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Can we see more of your hair? Like the back of your head?

ETA: From what I can see, though, it appears to be maybe 2c?

Falcore
July 4th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Yes and you have such gorgeous curls! I'm going to guess a 3a :)

lilliemer
July 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Can we see more of your hair? Like the back of your head?

ETA: From what I can see, though, it appears to be maybe 2c?
Yeah, I wish I could have gotten some better pictures. I know these are not the best resolution. It is fairly challenging to photograph your own hair in the mirror. I tried to take a picture of the back but it just looks like one big dark poof. Although that may be a hair type of its own :p

If I can enlist some backup to take better quality photos I will upload the new ones...But any opinions are appreciated as is! Thanks!

CurlyCap
July 4th, 2012, 07:53 PM
3a?

I say 3a because, even though your hair ends in pretty tight spirals, most of it is a very loose pattern.

Do you detangle with a brush or comb? That may be breaking up your curl pattern more and leading to the looser pattern up top. What happens if you only finger comb in the shower (with conditioner in) and then let it air dry? Use product if you want, just don't try to break up the clumps. :D

spirals
July 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I can't tell if you are a 3a or 3b.

summerfox
July 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I think the guide said you might be between two types. It looks like this might be the case with your hair. Good luck!

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Wow, I'm surprised at the shrinkage!

Anyway, I'd say a solid 3a. 3bs have ringlets.

Congrats on being curly :)

kitschy
July 5th, 2012, 05:36 AM
It is somewhat subjective, but 3a has sidewalk chalk sized curls and the roots, or crown of your head, are more straight. 3b curls are sharpie sized (see signature) and go right to the root, so that you should see kinks and some lift at the crown. (and I can't see your crown). I'm going to say you are probably closer to 3a.

torrilin
July 5th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Looks 3a-ish to me with what we can see. But what we can see is maybe 1/4 of your hair, so if the rest is more wavy than spiraly, I think I'd vote 2c.

And as the curly ladies have said, curlies do often need to add conditioner for a hair typing shot. Sometimes a 2a or 2b will get more defined waves with no conditioner (not a universal tho! my 1c waves vanish with no conditioner). But 3s and 4s it's easier to figure out the range of your hair's behavior if conditioner is used.

What you're looking for is an average or a dominant impression. Even tho I'm a 1c, I've got hairs that are 4 level of curl. Just it's literally hairs, not even ringlets. And there are plenty of hairs that don't have any noticeable wave, but they'll stick in with the rest as it waves gently. Since you're in the 3s, your hair has more options than mine for curl level :) so it's not a big deal if your type isn't dead on the first time. I think most people tend to think their hair is straighter than it is, since most of us are not dedicated enough to try and maintain best possible curl every day. So day in and day out, your hair probably feels straighter than it is.