PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone care to hair type me?

verylittlecarro
July 4th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm starting to suspect I'm not a straightie.:D
I clarified for the first time today, no conditioner, and left it to airdry from sopping wet. Didn't touch it (although I had to shake my head a little as it was clumping into about three weird clods and i needed it to move).

And I'm going to attempt to put a picture in this post. Here we go...
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/verylittlecarro/Hair%20typing/20120704_120857.jpg
sopping wet

and
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/verylittlecarro/Hair%20typing/20120704_135027-1.jpg
mostly dry

with curlier bits underneath
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/verylittlecarro/Hair%20typing/20120704_134422.jpg

What do you all think?

WaterMusic
July 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I think 2a, maybe 2a/2b.

Just so you know, typing within the 2s is the hardest and most confusing, so you are likely to get a range of answers. Wavies unite!

Avital88
July 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
2b i think, probably the longer it gets the more waves will show

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
2a/b I think, it'll be easier when it's longer.

DarkCurls
July 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Definitely not a straighty! 2a/b sounds about right to me as well.

Lostsoule77
July 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I agree with 2a/2b though, as others stated, it will be easier to tell when your hair is longer. :)

verylittlecarro
July 4th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks! It seems a 2a/2b consensus is building. Of course I have no idea how to care for this type of hair, since I've always thought mine was straight, naughty with occasional flicks. I'm trying to give up straightening and heat so I probably could do with learning how to encourage some wave or curl (without frizz). Who knew... :shrug:

jeanniet
July 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I say 2b. It's really not much different from straighter hair, but I would emphasize combing more and limit brushing to reduce frizz. I do brush, but generally it's before a wash to stimulate my scalp, remove loose hairs, and just because it feels good. You have very nice waves!

brave
July 4th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'm tossing my vote in for 2b as well. You have lovely even waves :) Come check out the Wavy/wurly thread, it's full of us.

jojo
July 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm going to say 1 c/2a as the waves are loose ones, definitely not a straightie, you also have layers which can be hard to type at your length. I think you will move more into the 2 range as you get longer.

Firefly
July 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Hmmm, I'm not sure you're in the 2 range... maybe a 1c? Possibly 2a-- it will be easier to tell once you've got a bit more length. Looks beautiful though!

meishkamooshka
July 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
The waves are beautiful whatever they may be!!!!!

bumblebums
July 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'll chime in with my "law": if you are doubting your hair type, you must be a 2-something :)

I don't think you're quite a 2c, though--my hair was wavier than this at your length. So 2a/b, probably.

1nuitblanche
July 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Here's another vote for 2a/2b you're definitely a wavy!

WaterMusic
July 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM
In terms of care, you can probably treat it much like straight hair, with a little more emphasis on moisture and minimizing handling. Your hair is definitely in the low end of the two range, so you don't have to worry about spirals and the aggravating amount of love they need.

Vampyria
July 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I agree with jojo on 1c/2a, maybe 2a. Mine looks similar when uncombed, but my canopy looks a bit straighter, because I have no layers.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Ooo, gorgeous.

(Just had to say that ;) not too good at typing 2s)

Alvrodul
July 4th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I think you are a 2b, maybe even a 2c - it looked as if your hair was starting to corkscrew in the third picture!:D

Ml001
July 4th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I think you are a 2b, maybe even a 2c - it looked as if your hair was starting to corkscrew in the third picture!:D

2b possibly 2c was my first thought as well. Definitely not straight! :D Consider looking into Co-washing and curly girl method. You definitely do not want to brush and moisture will probably be key for you. Embrace and enjoy!

dwell_in_safety
July 4th, 2012, 02:14 PM
2b, I think. When left to its own devices, my own hair looks similar at that length. Maybe just 2a/2b for now, but I would place money that when it grows out more it will be more clearly b than a.

verylittlecarro
July 4th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Oh wow, thanks for all your responses! I'm tickled about this really, it's so strange to find your hair is completely different to what you've thought for decades. The underneath is quite a bit curlier than the top layer (the canopy?) and there are some very loose spirals in there which is a lovely surprise. I'm growing out a heinous cut from last October :
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/verylittlecarro/Growth%20progress/IMG_0597.jpg
so my layers are yuk, not right at all. However I'm in scissor-avoidance mode for now. I've been a shorty for only a couple of years but my hair has always refused to sit right and I think it will do much better when it has length and can just wave however it likes.
I'm not the most patient of hair growers though.
I'll pop over to the wavy thread, I think for some advice on, erm, curl creme or something!
Thanks for taking the time to help. :)

lapushka
July 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I thought 1c/2a, as 2b would be more like braid waves.

Quixii
July 4th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I think 2a/2b, which is more likely to become a 2b when it's longer.

starry
July 5th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I really think 2a- more wavey than curly

torrilin
July 5th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I'm leaning towards 2b, and like Alvrodul I'm seeing hints of spiraling. So in your position I'd go for more moisture and see what happens.

I don't think it's 1c at all. That is a LOT more wave than I have even if I do the best job I can of scrunching conditioner and gel into my hair. My hair would have to be APL or longer to have 3 full wavelengths!

Mesmerise
July 5th, 2012, 07:19 AM
2b i think, probably the longer it gets the more waves will show

Possibly, or if it's like mine the waves could go straighter as it gets longer!

I am leaning more towards 2a actually, because I think the curl is coming out more due to your layers, and due to it being curlier underneath (mine is the same in that it's curlier underneath than on top).

I suspect that if it were a bit longer and all the one length it'd be more 2a, but with wavier hair underneath.

Still, it's kind of impossible to say exactly what it will do as it gets longer ;). Some people's hair really shows more waves as it lengthens, and some doesn't!

CurlyCurves
July 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM
(mine is the same in that it's curlier underneath than on top).

Same here. I get more defined ringlets on the bottom.