PDA

View Full Version : best follow up to clarifying?

lilliemer
July 4th, 2012, 07:34 AM
My hair has been a bit crazy lately and feels tangly and buildup-y. I'm going to try clarifying but am wondering what people are doing immediately after? SMT? Regular conditioning? Oil? I also have liked a coconut milk soak, would that be good? Thanks

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 07:41 AM
How about an SMT with coconut milk?

ariesfairies
July 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM
While the topic of clarifier is being discussed, what is it exactly? Is it a sort of hair detox or something? (Hijacking, I'm sorry but it's not on the " LHC Terms and Abbreviations" page :()

Madora
July 4th, 2012, 07:51 AM
While the topic of clarifier is being discussed, what is it exactly? Is it a sort of hair detox or something? (Hijacking, I'm sorry but it's not on the " LHC Terms and Abbreviations" page :()

When you clarify your hair, you remove everything on the strands. After your hair is clarified, you have a "clean canvas" to begin your next adventure, whatever that might be.

Clarifying made my hair feel horrible..but that was soon put to rights by an application of mineral oil. Some people deep condition or use other methods.

Kiwiwi
July 4th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I clarify about once a month, my hair seems to need it then.
My hair also seems to need a protein treatment once a month.
I believe a protein treatment needs really clean hair.
So what I do; I clarify, then I use a protein conditioner as a treatment, after that I use a good moisturizing conditioner as a treatment (moisture after protein is really recommended) and then I am done.
The buildup will be gone, no more crunchy ends I always get from buildup. Ready for about another month :)

verylittlecarro
July 4th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Am watching this thread with interest. I clarified for the first time a couple of hours ago to take some hair typing pics. Have no idea what to do next, especially since I plan to henna for the first time on Friday. Currently have no conditioner on my hair or anything - it is naked! And surprisingly, it feels quite nice, not dry as I expected.

Zesty
July 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I clarify before an SMT, but usually I find a regular conditioning works fine. My hair seems to take really well to clarifying, though, and has only felt dry once or twice even though I clarify fairly often. Maybe because I've been going so long between washes. Still figuring that one out. :shrug:

rena
July 4th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I like to use something with a thick and rich in consistancy after I clarify. My current favorite is the Triple Nutrition 3 Minute Undo Dryness Reversal Treatment from Garnier Fructise. After I shampoo, I spread this stuff all over my hair (roots included) and leave it sit while I go about the rest of my shower. When I'm done, I rinse it all out. This is just a suggestion. Does your hair like protien? If it does, this might be a good time to add some to your hair.

KittyPTY
July 4th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I clarify about once a month, my hair seems to need it then.
My hair also seems to need a protein treatment once a month.
I believe a protein treatment needs really clean hair.
So what I do; I clarify, then I use a protein conditioner as a treatment, after that I use a good moisturizing conditioner as a treatment (moisture after protein is really recommended) and then I am done.
The buildup will be gone, no more crunchy ends I always get from buildup. Ready for about another month :)

Omg! im drooling over your curls! they are so gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you use to clarify? :) if i can know. Thank you.

Lostsoule77
July 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM
After I clarify I do a nice moisturizing conditioner. I tend to use Garnier Fructis triple nutrition. I'm all about simple though so I just throw that in, rinse, & then use a little more as a leave-in. Works well for me. :)

ETA: That's actually what I did right before I took my current sig pic, now that I think about it. :)

Kiwiwi
July 4th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Omg! im drooling over your curls! they are so gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do you use to clarify? :) if i can know. Thank you.

Awww! *blush* That's sweet, thank you! :)

At the moment I just use a very strong shampoo that I would never use often. It's called: Wella Pro Series Volume Shampoo. It has Ammonium Laureth Sulfate which is very strong. And Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. And I use lots of it ^^ It works so I'm happy :)

KittyPTY
July 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Awww! *blush* That's sweet, thank you! :)

At the moment I just use a very strong shampoo that I would never use often. It's called: Wella Pro Series Volume Shampoo. It has Ammonium Laureth Sulfate which is very strong. And Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate. And I use lots of it ^^ It works so I'm happy :)

Thank you very much, i'll try it. I have never used a shampoo with ammonium laureth sulfate (not that i know of), but ill use it since my ends gets kind of rough, i think it is the buildup :(

gracenotes
July 4th, 2012, 09:13 PM
After I clarify, I'll do a nice SMT with some oil mixed in, then I oil my hair and put it up.

prettykitty
July 4th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure whether what I do is 'really' clarifying. I just wash with a little baking soda mixed Lush Cynthia Sylvia Stout, which has SLS in and that leaves my hair *really* clean. I always follow with a conditioner soak or SMT and a diluted vinegar rinse to balance PH.