PDA

View Full Version : Layers or no layers?

sometimesginger
July 4th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I've been looking around at forums, and I've already found one (I think it was called 'Layers or one-length') but the last post was from around 2008, so I thought I'd start the discussion again. What do you think - layers or no layers?

MissAlida
July 4th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Layers for me. I'm trying to get them a bit longer, but I would not give up my layers. My hair is curly, so I don't really wear braids, therefore I don't need one lenght hair to stop layers from poking out. And even if I do french or dutch braids, they hold my layers pretty well.My buns are messy anyway because of the curls and waves. I am sure, that the straight haired people prefer no layers, since their hair looks much neater in updos and such without layers. IMHO.:)
ETA: Actually, sometimesginger, we are almost hair twins.:D

bunzfan
July 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM
It depends how you wear your hair really, layers would probably help your curls but if you like updo's or braids they are a royal pain i'm still growing mine out. If you mostly wear it down they could really work for you.

ariesfairies
July 4th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I been stuck on always requesting layers to avoid the dreaded curly hair "triangular" silhouette. Though I braid my hair myself, and just have to deal with having the sticky out bits :P

sazzie88
July 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM
My Hair is straight so i vote no layers, althougth when my hair is longer i would like some possibly :)

Madora
July 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Definitely no layers if you want to create beautiful updos. If you have layered hair, you'll have one frustrating time getting the updos to look neat. Not worth the bother. Your mileage may vary, of course.

sometimesginger
July 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Layers for me. I'm trying to get them a bit longer, but I would not give up my layers. My hair is curly, so I don't really wear braids, therefore I don't need one lenght hair to stop layers from poking out. And even if I do french or dutch braids, they hold my layers pretty well.My buns are messy anyway because of the curls and waves. I am sure, that the straight haired people prefer no layers, since their hair looks much neater in updos and such without layers. IMHO.:)
ETA: Actually, sometimesginger, we are almost hair twins.:D

Oh my gosh, we are almost hair twins!! :) If only my hair was a tiny bit thicker... that'd be hilarious. And I agree, I go with layers. My hair is a bit longer than yours I think, so I tend to wear my hair up a lot, and I find that half way through the day my layers will start poking out of my braids :/ But my updo's always look fine, since I have long layers. I think I would like no layers, but unfortunately, with my hair, that isn't going to happen.

sometimesginger
July 4th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I been stuck on always requesting layers to avoid the dreaded curly hair "triangular" silhouette. Though I braid my hair myself, and just have to deal with having the sticky out bits :P

That's why I have layers, but I hate it when I braid it and then half way through the day parts will start to stick out! But I'll manage, because I know my hair would look awful without the layers.
BTW, I love your hair! It's really pretty :)

SerinaDaith
July 4th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I can't stand layers in my hair, it was one of the many reasons I chopped my hair right before finding this site, I would have trimmed them out over time and dealt with the damage I had already done to it with much better care.

NataschaB.
July 4th, 2012, 08:12 AM
No layers for me. Back when I had long hair I had layers, but they were always frizzy and felt dry compared to the rest of the hair. I also have layers now (after having short hair), but I'm just waiting for them to grow out.

brave
July 4th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I think I'll probably keep layers. I don't tend to braid much and my updos will never look exceptionally neat just due to texture. A few curls sticking out is the least of my worries.

UltraBella
July 4th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Layers, layers and some more layers !!!!!!!! I have tons of them and I love them :)

Arashi
July 4th, 2012, 08:48 AM
It really depends on the particular hair and situation. Layers were great when my hair was shorter(everywhere between shoulder and APL), really helped me style it and avoid triangle head, but now that I'm growing my hair out and trying to put it up more often, they've been driving me nuts. I can't wait to get to my goal of waist length most of all because then I can start the slow process of trimming out the layers!

luluj
I cast my vote for layers, my hair looks much better with them!

Hollyfire3
I think I'll probably keep layers. I don't tend to braid much and my updos will never look exceptionally neat just due to texture. A few curls sticking out is the least of my worries.

This, so true. My hair suprisingly looks one length even with my long layers (is it my thickness maybe)? So, I don't really worry about them making my hemline choppy, because it isn't choppy. I just think that with our curls and crazyness brave, layers, or at least some layers, make the wurls more behaved and easier to deal with.:)

Ticky
July 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Probably no layers for me. I never really had them, but I think that I wouldn't like them very much.

Winnie!
July 4th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I am stuck between having layers and not having them. When I only wore my hair down and loose they were no problem. In fact, they made it look much better. My hair didn't look like a poofy triangle. :p Now when I want to do braids and buns they simply do not cooperate and make things messy. So it really depends on what you want to do with your hair. :)

onlyforhim
July 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I don't like layers for only one reason is that your braid will go thinner at the ends... and it just would not be as thick as it is supposed to be. if someone really wants layers they can have layers that frame the face and that's about it...
oh and I hate hate hate when the hair dresser says oh layers will make your hair look thicker...because yes it will ONLY make it look thicker not really make it thicker it is only thicker when it is all the same length

jacqueline101
July 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have layers hate them. I'm growing them out. I'm also a fan of a v hem line.

ladylowtide
July 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Ughh. Layers are a PITA! With my straight stubborn hair they stick out of my braids like cactus needles digging into my neck!

I vote one-length for the braid and updo manageability and for the fact that it means cutting my hair less. No only it I could grow out the ones I have I would be just peachy.

CurlyCurves
July 4th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I kinda wish I didn't have layers :(