PDA

View Full Version : Only shedding when hair is wet?!

Bunnysaur
July 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
As some of you know, I'm in the midst of a killer shed right now. I've gone from a iii to a ii in the past month. I seem to have started getting it under control with monistat, neelibhringadi, and other oils, and during the day, I shed almost nothing. It's great, it's fantastic, it's a dream come true.

Until, of course, I get in the shower.

As soon as I wet my hair, it starts shedding like crazy again. I can't stretch washes, but I do use a fairly gentle shampoo bar. It only seems to happen when I run my fingers through my hair, and I'm not even applying force or pulling or anything. My shedding lasts while I'm shampooing, but after I exit the shower and begin to dry my hair...

It completely stops. No hairs in my comb while I'm detangling afterwards, and very, very few on my fingers when I fingercomb.

I know hair is much more fragile when wet, but this definitely isn't breakage. It's downright confusing, is what.

Any input, all-knowing LHC? :pray:

hellucy
July 4th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Bumping... my hair is pretty much the same it sheds loads when washing, I don't pull or put pressure on my hair, but virtually nothing any other time.
My shedding has increased recently from average 40-50 hairs to around 80-90 hairs.
Sorry but I can't think of anything that may have caused either the extra shedding or the shedding when wet not dry would be interested in any ideas.

MinderMutsig
July 4th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I would say ditch the shampoo bar because it sounds like your hair and/or scalp do not agree with something in it.

Kiwiwi
July 4th, 2012, 04:03 AM
What MinderMutsig said.

This reminds me of what Loepsie's been through (the hair girl on YouTube). She had an awful shed too until she finally realised it was her shampoo bar causing it. She stopped using it and the shed stopped :)

Madora
July 4th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Yes, I agree with the others re: the shampoo bar. Also, before wetting your hair, be sure and give it a good brushing (or combing out).

swearnsue
July 4th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Maybe try a regular commercial shampoo like a V05, Suave or Pantene etc. and dilute it and gently massage into scalp.

Bunnysaur
July 4th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Thing is, it started long before I switched to bars. I guess it's been going on two months instead of one, I've been using the bar for about a month. Before that I was using V05.

hellucy, what's your routine? Maybe we have a similarity somewhere...

afu
July 4th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Have you tried WO, and if so do you still get the excessive shedding? might be worth trying it for a few washes to see if you can rule out product

Bunnysaur
July 4th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Have you tried WO, and if so do you still get the excessive shedding? might be worth trying it for a few washes to see if you can rule out product

No, but I think I will :)

ETA: The shedding usually starts even before I start applying shampoo to my hair. I'm still going to try WO, hopefully it'll make a difference!