PDA

View Full Version : Dry hair, thinking of doing a BC :(

belix
July 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hey all...
just kind of depressed about my hair right now. Its super dry no matter what I do to/for it. I wore a twist out for class today. The min i got to class my hair lost its twist and was just puffy. Im touching it right now and it feels like its begging for help :/ I guess my hair is damaged... I dont think I will color it anymore but man I want to chop it off and start over. My mom thinks its a waste of time since I've come this far, but to be honest I have no idea what to do anymore... Ive tried many deep conditioners and they all left my hair with the same result. Dry. When i finish wash my hair i moisturize and seal with the oils i have. The last time I used heat was back in february. When doing the twist, it looks healthy and everything, but when I take it out, I look like i stuck my finger in an outlet before the day ends. Any suggestions ?

Roscata
July 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
You could try a leave-in conditioner, or a bit of oil, aloe vera gel, or even Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277).

Tisiloves
July 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
Have you tried an SMT? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128)
I suggest adding a bit of oil too.

hellucy
July 4th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Have you tried clarifying? If you have a build up all the moisturising products wont be penetrating the hair to do their job.
What is your wash routine? shampoo & conditioner? CWC? or CO?
Is it possible that your hair is feeling dry because it is out of balance -ie- too much protein - does one or more of your products contain protein?

pepperminttea
July 4th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Have you tried the Tightly Curly method (http://www.tightlycurly.com/)? Don't give up hope! :flower:

bettylibertine
July 4th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Another vote for giving clarifying a go here. Hope you find something that helps!

Amanah
July 4th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I think this is what I would do:
Trim an inch off of it. Clarify it, then doing a deep moisturizing treatment, rinse it, then soak it in Olive oil for a few hours, then CO wash it with a moisurizing conditioner, finger comb it, air dry it. Then let us know how it's doing.

jacqueline101
July 4th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Clarify then oil it. Maybe a deep conditioner.

belix
July 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I wash my hair once a week. when i started to notice the dryness kicking in I started washing my hair with the products that helps with moisturizing hair. The conditioner I use after the moisturizing one has keratin in it [started using it in previous wash] then I deep condition with a conditioner I have frm giovanni. I rinse my hair out with cool water then i apply my joboba oil, castor oil, kinky curly knot today and finally twist it up with nothing but curly pudding from soft n free. [I have been using this product ever since it came out and my hair loves it.. or loved it I guess]

I use to use Wen [was a gift from my mom until it ran out xD]. Not to sound crazy or anything, but maybe my hair is protesting and demand me to use Wen again?

Since today is my day off I'll go look into clarifying shampoos but what deep conditioners can you guys recommend me to use?

and any other oil besides olive oil? it doesnt do well in my hair for some reason, it just sits on it and makes my skin greasy x_x

A trim is in need too i suppose, I've only been dusting here or there, I shall let a stylist do it for me.

I'm looking into the things you ladies posted, thank you :) and I will look into the products I have more closely when I get home and report back to you the names of them too.
Thank you all for reply :D

Nae
July 4th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Okay, this is a dumb question but what does BC mean?

All I can come up with is "Before Christ" or "British Columbia." Can you tell I am a history and geography nerd?

afu
July 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM
If i were you this is what I would try:

1) Clarify - use an SLS shampoo
2) Do an SMT using a conditioner without any protein
3) Apply some normal (no protein) conditioner as a leave in followed by oil
4) Airdry
5) Next wash try the CO method

Protein overload can make the hair feel dry, brittle and frizzy, so for now try to just pile in as much moisture as you can and keep it there. Using CO will help to reduce the moisture loss by not stripping the hair

Tisiloves
July 4th, 2012, 07:17 AM

All I can come up with is "Before Christ" or "British Columbia." Can you tell I am a history and geography nerd?

BC = big chop

(Don't worry I'm a nerd, too.)

pink.sara
July 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM

This ^ I've been wondering what you meant too....

Loviatar
July 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM
If you can get it, Biolage do a fantastic conditioning balm which is very moisturising.

My hair likes olive oil, but another moisture booster is avocado oil. Or you could try emu oil which I am using at the moment with good results.

I also wonder if your hair would benefit from the CO method. Or even C-W-C so you are only washing the scalp with shampoo or diluted shampoo. I'd avoid proteiny conditioners though.

Nae
July 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM
BC = big chop

(Don't worry I'm a nerd, too.)

OOoooooh! Okay carry on then.

Don't chop though!! Try some of the great suggestions that have been lobbed your way so far and see how you feel after 2 weeks.

McFearless
July 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM
If it is just dry and not split/snapping off it is worth keeping it as you grow out the damage. You have to think about what styles will be available to you if you chop it off as well.
You might want to use that protein conditioner less. It may be contributing to your hair feeling dry.

Have you considered the WO washing method? It makes my hair very soft with little shed and fast growth.

Anje
July 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Clarify first. Clarify well, sudsing all the way to the ends, possibly a couple times.

Then deep condition. I like SMTs. Biolage conditioning balm is supposed to be another excellent one.

If your hair still feels awful or if it feels a bit on the stretchy/gummy side, you might want to do a protein treatment and another heavy moisture treatment. (Some people do way better if they use protein-based products, but I don't advise you to start with them, because they also tend to make hair feel dry if overdone.)

If after that you have no improvement, you might consider cutting it. But start with a few inches rather than whacking it all off. Even a smaller trim can make a big difference.

I'd advise against Wen. It's just overpriced CO washing. But if you want to try washing with a conditioner instead of shampoo, it might be worth a shot. After you've clarified, that is.

kowlrea
July 4th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Have you ever tried Organic Roots Stimulator Replenishing Condtiioner , Aphogee Two Minute Reconstuctor or a Pantene Daily Conditioner (not any for chemically treated or colour treated hair -those are crap) ?

Clarify and deep condition the hellll out of you hair. I also think maybe you should find a different moisturiser . How much does your hair love the oils you use ? Does it sit on the hair or does it soak right in ?

prettykitty
July 4th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Keratin is a kind of protein, I think? Maybe your hair hates protein.

catamonica
July 6th, 2012, 01:10 AM
I use a spray bottle with olive oil & water. Wait five minutes then shampoo. My hair feels less dry. I add two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. And Aloe Vera gel to my conditioner. The Aloe makes my hair extra soft. Hope this helps!

goldloli
July 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
this, maybe using protein every wash is too much. my hair would break if that was me.

also massively 2nd clarifying!

Amber_Maiden
July 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Mayonaise. Seriously.

mrs_coffee
July 7th, 2012, 04:49 PM

My hair got very stiff and dry for a while and it turned out to be from too much protein. I use henna and was also using Suave coconut shampoo and conditioner which has protein added. I clarified and got rid of the protein for a while and my hair was fine again. I hope you figure it out and don't have to chop. Also, my hair prefers coconut oil over olive oil, but everyone is different. Good luck!

simplyjade
July 7th, 2012, 04:50 PM
The color is most likely responsible for your dry hair. You need to deep condition every week to restore your hair's moisture level. You will also need to use protein treatments to rebuild the structure of your hair. What shampoos are you using? Sulfate free would be the best way to go for color-treated hair since they are less harsh on the hair.