PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer your hem blunt cut straight across, or u shape or v shape?

Sarahlabyrinth
July 3rd, 2012, 06:08 PM
I previously had blunt straight across (DH trims for me) but am weighing up whether to have a gentle u shape this time around. I love the one on Fey's self trim tutorial on Youtube. I am due for a trim, haven't had one for 14 months and the ends need a tidy up of um maybe half an inch?

And do you trim wet or dry hair? Wet seems easier for me with waves.

gonzobird
July 3rd, 2012, 06:13 PM
I prefer a v!!!! With layers.... but Im probably the minority here. Either way, I'm not a fan of harsh lines. V cut and layers take care of that. Mine are slightly point cut layers, though. No lines there, either.

Xxanderia
July 3rd, 2012, 06:15 PM
I like the U look. Right now I have layers in my hair, so it makes it incredibly difficult to self trim. Once I hit my desired length I'm not sure what kind of hemline and/or layers I want. Yay for everyone's pictures of lovely hair!

lmfbs
July 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM
I like blunt until waist, now I'm thinking I need to add in a slight U and make it more Uey as it gets longer (mostly I want to encourage a fairytail).

I think wavy hair is easier to cut wet, thought I'm going to try straightening it next time.

prettykitty
July 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
I like V shapes, but I'm not sure why :) Makes it easier to put buns up, I guess! I like to trim wet, I feel like it gives me more control.

Mesmerise
July 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
I like blunt until waist, now I'm thinking I need to add in a slight U and make it more Uey as it gets longer (mostly I want to encourage a fairytail).

I think wavy hair is easier to cut wet, thought I'm going to try straightening it next time.

I also like blunt cuts for shorter hair, and once it gets past waist I prefer a U shape. I cut my hair dry using Feye's method... I just find the scissors I have snip the hair better when it's dry! Because I'm stretching it out to trim, the fact that it is a bit wavy doesn't affect it much.

Amygirl8
July 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I prefer a slightly distorted U.
I trim when I have braid waves, so that when it's natural it's a little odd, but still in a noticeable U shape XD
But it looks the best in braid waves, which is what I usually have anyways :rolleyes:

BrunetteElf
July 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
Blunt hemline for me! Makes my fine hair look thicker.:cheese:

Vampyria
July 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM
I like slight V shape, because it's easier to self trim with my length, I like how it looks in front and I suspect that my natural hemline is inverted V, so making it V shape helps. I would love to have U shape when my hair is longer, because it looks nicer than V to me.

I trim on wet hair, because it's easier with my length and thickness.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
I like a gentle U-shape. My hair's trimmed when it's about to be washed, when the waves have all but fallen out. It's easier to brush then and so it's pretty damn near even when it's cut (dry).

Madora
July 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Blunt hairlines always make my hair look thicker and fuller. Also, there's no worrying about uneven ends.

Tia2010
July 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
I like blunt hemlines. :) mine is still slightly u shaped now, but my goal is hip and blunt.

FrannyG
July 3rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
I think that a u-shape is very feminine and pretty. Having said that, I currently have a straight across hemline, although I also have bangs and some face-framing layers.

The reason for the straight across hemline that I'm wearing now is that it keeps a lot of length in the front. It's nice to see length not only at the back, but when looking in the mirror from the front as well. Actually, I've never had hair this long coming from the temples before. It's nice and makes me feel as though my hair is actually long hair.

If and when I grow my hair to hip or to tailbone, I may well go back to a u-shape, but more of a gentle u than I used to wear.

SerinaDaith
July 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
I think I am going to try for blunt since my hair is semi fine I think anything else would just make it look thinner.

Tisiloves
July 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
I prefer straight (about the only time I've ever said that :p). But I also think that the wisdom is if you prefer to plait then go for a straighter hemline and if you prefer to bun go more v line.

jeanniet
July 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM
I like a U-shape, which is just as well, because no matter how I cut it, that's what I end up with. I do use Feye's method, more or less, but I'm not very particular with how I do it. If I had very straight hair I'd be much more careful.

Mommyof4
July 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
I like the U-shape... I always think it's both sexy and princess-y lol..

AspenSong
July 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM
I trim with mine just barely damp.
I love the look of the U hems on other people, but on my hair, I think blunt is the way to go. :)

Rufflebutt
July 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
I'm trying to get my hair to go into a blunt cut with micro trims and S&Ding. But my hair is all sorts of different lengths from damage and breakage.

ejking2
July 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
I like a blunt hemline. I am rocking a gentle U-shape now, though, since it's easier for me to get it even if I cut it that way. I am pleased with it and it may become my favorite.

Wiggy Stardust
July 3rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
I've always liked V's but my hair likes blunt hairlines.

Ebrox
July 3rd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I've loved them all, but right now I'm into straight across ends.. which is a bit against my natural fairy tale ends..

jojo
July 3rd, 2012, 08:49 PM
I love a u shaped hemline as I think it's the prettiest, though I have a blunt at the moment as a bid to make my ends look thicker, however I will probably go back to a u shape as in my opinion hair when it's past waist with a blunt can look like a cape on my back! Though after a few months of trimming to a straight across blunt my hair naturally grows into a u shape anyway.

kowlrea
July 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
U shapes are soooo pretty

MissManda
July 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I like them all, but a gentle U-shape is my favorite. It's soft but with the nice strong edge of a blunt cut. I've been really wanting to go for a full-on blunt cut for the past several months and am thinking about going for it once I get past tailbone length. :)

Lostsoule77
July 3rd, 2012, 08:56 PM
I prefer a slight U, though I have a deep U now because I had layers. I'm slowly gonna fix that though. I used to trim when wet, but with feye's method I do it dry. It's just as easy and you're pulling the waves out anyway.

Tabihito
July 3rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
It depends on the length for me. Until hip or so, I'm not giving up my U hem. I like my U hem. Past that though, I'm probably going to go for straight-across, as well as ridding myself of layers (I'll probably maintain at hip once I get there until I can get rid of them). However, I also like fairytale ends, so... I guess it depends on where terminal is on me.

BrightEyes
July 3rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
I love U-shaped hemlines and hope to have one when my hair is long. But wih my fine and thinner hair I may have to settle with a blunt hemline.

ladonna
July 3rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
V is my favorite.

ravenreed
July 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
I prefer a U hemline, but have a V.

ApatheticFairy
July 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
How is v-shaped easier for buns? Ive never had a v hemline before and bun every day. *lazily tries to make it easier*

I like gentle u-shapes up until classic length and after that- around thigh to floor length- I think blunt looks prettiest. That being said… I have always dry-cut my hair. I don't know which is better for hair; but if I do it wet my waves make it look like Edward scissor hands got scared and tried to bury himself into my hair when it DOES dry. Which takes forever.

neko_kawaii
July 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I like fairytale ends on curly hair, blunt on perfectly straight fine hair, and generally like U shape on any hair type. I've seen very few V shapes that I liked unless they were involved in some curly fairytale ends. Just generalizing of course, I've seen gorgeous hair that defies all of these preferences.

lundmir
July 3rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
I love a V hemline on myself. I don't like the way my hair looks with blunt ends, but I do love the look on other people.

LoversLullaby
July 3rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
I love a deep U shape. That's currently what I'm rocking now.

Ambystoma
July 3rd, 2012, 11:53 PM
I like the U shape, it gives the thickness of blunt with the softness of a more natural shape. Mine's a little all over the show at the moment but I'll be gradually encouraging it into a U as I trim.

aisha.christine
July 3rd, 2012, 11:59 PM
I like the U-shape. It is the way my hair grows out, so to me, it looks natural.

Jing
July 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I prefer a very shallow U. Though right now my hair is just doing post-pixie whatever.

spirals
July 4th, 2012, 02:02 AM
It's simpler to say I don't like straight-across at all unless it's layered. I like a moderate V on me because it emphasizes cascading curls.

ohmygackt
July 4th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I think I would prefer a U shape on myself, but I think the straight hem is very pretty on other people.

ladylowtide
July 4th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I prefer blunt hems on hair from APL to Hip After that I think FTEs Vs and Us look more flattering IMO.

DarkCurls
July 4th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I have layers (T_T) and I think it's a straight-across cut in the back, but I'm not sure anymore because it's been a while since I had a trim.
I prefer my hemline blunt or a very shallow U, just for updos and especially braids. Besides, my hair springs up because of the curls and wurls and it never ends up looking the same every day, so whether I get a straight-across or a U it'd probably be the same.
As for a V, well, I like the way it looks, but I don't even want to imagine braiding with a deep V.

Oksana
July 4th, 2012, 03:28 AM
I am the same as OP. I prefer a blunt hemline or a very slight U.

Ticky
July 4th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Same here, either blunt or a slight U shape.

CurlyMopTop
July 4th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I like blunt or slight U shape.

Jesabel
July 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM
U shape :)

Allychan
July 4th, 2012, 05:30 AM
I like anywhere between a U and V. My hair is still pretty thin on the ends, but I love the way layers look and they give my hair a bit of action!!:luke:

jacqueline101
July 4th, 2012, 05:34 AM
I like a v hem line myself.

Venefica
July 4th, 2012, 05:44 AM
I prefer my hemline to be completely blunt.

auburntressed
July 4th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I like a very shallow U the best for me.

I have seen some really striking V hemlines that I have LOVED, but I do not believe that it would look so nice on my own hair.

Blunt across somehow seems just a tad too "harsh" for me. I like them if the "corners" are softened a bit, but not so much if it looks very boxy.

Dovetail
July 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I prefer a blunt hem, I've always had my hair that way. I think once I reach my goal I might go for a V style if I want to be adventurous.

Dorothy
July 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
RE blunt vs V shape for updos, I find that after a blunt cut my ends are harder to hide - all the hairs stop at the same place - where as with the fairytale ends I'm sporting now as I'm growing, they just gradually disappear and are easy to tuck under.

But I like the look of a u shape.

afu
July 4th, 2012, 09:00 AM
i like to have a U or almost V shaped hemline, because i think it looks less harsh on me and because my curls are always varying a blunt hemline would be harder to pull off

Nymphea
July 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I like slight U-shape, I trim my hair dry and I'm a wavy. :)

Sassy9226
July 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I prefer a blunt hemline, it just feels nice and solid.

Diamond.Eyes
July 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I think that straight across is flattering on anyone, and I got my hair cut into a blunt cut a few months ago. It has growth into a squoval hemline since then and I think I will let it growth back into a U-shape. :D

tweetylonghair
July 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I prefer to have a deep V or a long U....I want to have a blunt but I have realized I am not happy with one..U can see my V in my pictures.

spirals
July 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I like a V, but when I get to hip I might want a U. I've had both. I can see the problem with a V and braiding.

EyeFuzz
July 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I'm still trying to decide, currently I have a deep V going because of my crazy layers. I've had a blunt hemline before but didn't like it so much it kinda gave me a triangle look from the back.

I'm thinking of going for a U hemline next and if that doesn't work going for a more subtle V.

girloctopus
July 6th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I lean towards a deep V because my hair is so dang thick. It really cuts down on the excess poof and makes updos a little bit easier.

Quenhilde
July 7th, 2012, 07:24 AM
I think that for each type of cut there are hair types that will look gorgeous and some that will look awful. I think a V shape cut is the least forgiving (at least in my eyes) and that if you don't have one of the hair types that makes it look absolutely gorgeous it can look very wrong.

On myself, I currently have a relatively blunt cut. Its not by preference, I just suck at cutting a good U shape myself, although I plan on trying again soon. My hair is on the thicker side of ii, almost a iii and with natural kinks along the hemline it never looks straight however well it is cut whilst wet or dry. I think that ultimately I would love fairytale ends, or if this isn't possible for me, a sort of medium depth U shape.

IvanaGil
July 7th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Definitely straight across. My hair grows so slow and a V or U shape would mean at least 2 years of re-growing.

EtherealDoll
July 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I like a blunt hemline or with a slight U-shape. I had a V with layers and it didn't look good on my hair - it's thick and 2a and the ends stuck out in different directions and didn't even look like a V-shape.

RitaCeleste
July 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
My hair wants to grow into a V-shape because my sides grow slow. I however want a U-shape.

hafattack
July 7th, 2012, 08:31 AM
My hair also wants a v shape. And I enforce enough of my wants on my hair that I'll let it have that one!

Lady Neeva
July 7th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I wanted an straight across, and my hair gave me a U shaped.

Marcellaa
July 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Slight U-shape

gthlvrmx
July 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
BLUNT! oh my god i absolutely LOVE the blunt look, it just looks so much thicker, you know? i love it. and i think its better to cut your hair when dry because it shrinks when it dries and you dont wanna overcut when its wet, you know?

Amber_Maiden
July 7th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I trim when wet- or rather others trim my hair when wet. I also like a soft U hemline.

hairstuck
July 9th, 2012, 03:15 AM
I like a clean straight line, but with an inch or so gradually getting shorter on either side.
Not a U, but a bit less blunt than a perfect line.

Amanah
July 9th, 2012, 03:24 AM
If you don't cut your hair does it naturally V at the bottom?

I think a V with fairytale ends reaching the tailbone would be my preference,
but I don't think I will really know until I see how my hair looks as it grows.

Nymphea
July 9th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I trim dry, and my hair is wavy.

I trim a soft U hemline.

bunzfan
July 9th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I heard the other day if you wear braids a lot a blunt hem is the best as it helps stop braid taper and it just so happens that my favourite one .

see_turtle
July 9th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I aim for straight across but end up with a slight U. Damn waves.

mallorykay13
July 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I like the U shape, but think I will transition to a blunt hem once I reach say, hip or TBL.

Alembic
July 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I trim mine damp - my texture is frizzy and make it more difficult to trim otherwise. My hair is almost V-shaped at the moment but I'd like to grow it into a more uniform U-shaped hem.

CurlyCurves
July 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM
My hair, while curly, is a very slight U, I believe?

Pic is in my sig.

My hemline while straight, is pretty darn messy :rollin: I didn't get a hemline cut, I just hacked a load of hair off, indiscriminately, around Febuary times, or something. Not sure when. Thankfully, when curly, it's not noticable.

When my hair gets to about MBL or waist, I want a soft V, I think ..

blondie9912
July 9th, 2012, 06:10 PM
A soft U, maybe I'll get some more 'shape' to my hair the next time I go to the salon.

luxepiggy
July 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM
While I adore the dramatic look of a deep V hemline, it's just not a practical look for my stick-straight hair. It would never, ever look properly centered and balanced. Blunt cut is a lot more forgiving, IPHO, so that's how I've always worn mine (^(oo)^)v

I trim with my hair almost-dry; like when it's still got enough water to feel cool to the touch, but no longer actually feels wet.

Bopoluchi
July 10th, 2012, 12:44 AM
I like a blunt cut. my hemline is a bit raggedy at the mo, haven't trimmed my hair since some time last year. when eventually i do chop it, maybe when i reach classic or if its really crying for a cut, it'll be blunt and dry cut.

Alva
July 10th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I like soft U the most, mines heading towards a V somewhat again now, but I will try get the soft U back again by regular microtrims per next year or so.

MonaLisa
July 10th, 2012, 03:35 AM
U/V with some layers...it looks natural to me..
straight blunt seems to be better for growing and updos, as I've noticed people saying around here..but i enjoy my hair loose and free, and such hemline would look unnatural to me :)

hairhair
July 10th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Hm... with my hair I think that a U would look better in the lengths from about midback-tailbone, but I think after classic it might look better blunt so I might keep it blunt in case I ever get that far! :) But once I get there I might decide it looks better U-shaped. I think it depends on hair type as well as personal preference. The only reason I prefer blunter hemlines is that I think it makes braiding easier too.