PDA

View Full Version : The good, bad and ugly of beach hairstyles

Nevermore
August 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I'm going to the beach on Monday probably and it just occurred to me that maybe what I was planning to do (braided bun with a plastic hairstick) isn't such a great idea because of the two elastics involved in getting it nice and sturdy. Swim caps are definitely out and I've never really gone to the beach with long hair I cared about. I will be swimming, though not in the Serious Business Olympic Swimming way, just having fun and rambling around collecting shells. Before when I've gone to the beach, I wore my hair down so I wouldn't have to put sunscreen on my neck (!).

So, I wanted ya'll to weigh in on the pros/cons of all the styles I know would hold:

Dutch braid or double Dutch braids
Braided bun with plastic hairstick
Folded braid with ? maybe a plastic slide?
Pony braid (mid/high ponytail with the tail part braided)
Banded pony

I'm planning to do water only until Monday, then CO wash when I get back. I didn't want to introduce copious amounts of vitamin E oil to the poor, abused Gulf, but I figured sebum wouldn't be a problem/would be good for my hair. Salt water has never really bothered my hair that I recall, but I probably won't be able to rinse/wash my hair until I get home regardless of when I get out of the water. I do have shampoo, would that be better post-beach?

orangeeyecrayon
August 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM
from a recent beach trip for the braided pony, ( i am asuming you mean a low braid with out a band at the nape)
your hair will wip around like no other.

but on the pro side when you take it is super easy to finger wave out the friz, and it gives you those beachy waves.

Angellen
August 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I went to the beach yesterday with a braided bun (braided pony, tie at top and bottom, then wrapped, then 5 pins around the bun to secure it) and had no problems, though a stick might hold better than the pins I had. The only thing is that the bun gets awful heavy when wet, but that'll be true of anything, really. I wouldn't recommend something that can whip around like a long braid, but that's better than having it loose.

From personal experience yesterday (with activity much like you describe) I think the braided bun is the way to go. :)

akurah
August 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I vote dutch braid, or double dutch braid. I've never worn a more comfortable hairstyle in my life.

Nevermore
August 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
orangeeyecrayon: Braided pony for me is more very tight, high ponytail held by an elastic, then braided, then secured on the end with another elastic. I considered a regular braid, but that'd be worse than loose almost.

Angellen: I hadn't thought of how heavy a bun would be once it was drenched. My buns are already pretty heavy, even just misted. Then again, it'll also be sunny and hot, so it should dry pretty quickly.

akurah: They are comfortable, plus I could bring a stick and turn it into a braided bun...hmmm, potential there.

FrannyG
August 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I would go with a Dutch or French braid, with a hairstick in your beachbag, if you want to bun it at some point. You really can't go wrong with that style.

I hope you have fun! :)

Angellen
August 3rd, 2008, 02:18 PM
I took mine out when I was done swimming and it dried pretty quickly. Also, what's nice about it being in a bun is that you can give it a good squeeze to get a lot of water out, without wringing it. :)

serenitygal
August 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Oh, this is SO timely for me! I'm off to the beach on Tuesday, and was trying to figure out how to wear my between-APL-and-BSL wurly hair. I hadn't even thought of a sticked (or is that "stuck?" :silly: ) updo!

flapjack
August 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Braids always work for me in water. I just brush it and braid it when completely dry, run a little oil over the braid and voila! Wet buns are too heavy and awkwardly balanced on my head, even if they felt great when dry, so I don't do them... but they are also a good idea, I think, if they work for you. For me, I just feel weighed down, strained and often lopsided. Then I let my hair get almost entirely dry before taking out the braid and that prevents any tangles from happening. Sometimes I will get a couple little knots in the short hairs around the nape of my neck... but I've never been able to avoid that since they're never long enough to go in the braid properly. So to make that part easier, I just oil them later when I take out my braid. Gets them VERY greasy, but hey... the tangles come out with the ouchies.

Nevermore
August 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
FrannyG: I'm sure I will :D I hope I find some good shells, I've never been beachcombing on the western end of the beach.

Angellen: Bun squeezing always startles me-how does so much water get in there?! lol.

serenitygal: I vote for "stucked" it has a lovely, anti-grammar feel :P

socks
August 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
I always use a braid or a banded ponytail, because buns are too awkward and heavy for me when wet, but if you don't mind wearing your hair in a bun while swimming, by all means, go for it! A braided bun is about the best protection you can give your hair. Just take it out of the bun and leave it braided when you get out of the water so that you don't have all that extra salt water stuck in your bun. You may want to try using a couple plastic clips instead of a hairstick, though, because a hairstick might not be enough to keep your hair up when it's heavy from the water.

morningstar
August 3rd, 2008, 11:47 PM
I am going to the beach this weekend also and I will wear braids. Two of them. I am going to a fresh water lake so salt is not an issue. I put some coconut oil in my hair before braiding for the beach.

HappyEeyore
August 3rd, 2008, 11:52 PM
Wow, you are all doing such a good job of caring for your hair!

I go to the beach 1-2x a week w/ my family, and I can't say I've put that much thought into preparing my hair for it!

Of course, I don't go into the water very often and I stay under the umbrella quite a bit. But I usually just put my hair into a knot w/ the end hanging out w/ a claw clip holding it and wear a visor. If I wear a cowboy hat or my wide brim hat, I will wear a low ponytail, side braid or 2 braids.

Happy beaching!

Nevermore
August 4th, 2008, 01:25 AM
flapjack, morningstar and socks: More braid votes! Now I can't decide, though I know for sure (tested it tonight in the shower) that the hairstick in question will hold a standard braided bun even when it's saturated.

HappyEeyore: Lucky you! I wish I got to go to the beach that often :(

Nevermore
August 4th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Ok, I decided on a braided bun, with my "spare" hairstick. I don't like this one as well because it's too short to be obviously hairsticky in my hair and too long to be invisible. I couldn't stomach the idea of possibly losing my favorite hairstick!

I didn't get to go in the water today though :( It was double red flags and the most I got was knee deep. No good shells either. Bummer. The water was really pretty to look at though.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Gwaihiril
August 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Nevermore, thanks for posting this! I'm going on a 5-day sailing trip as a pre-orientation program for college, and have been trying to figure out how I want to wear my hair, so seeing what everyone has said has been great. I haven't been swimming in a while (over a year), but I wore it in braids a lot and in a bun a couple times.