PDA

View Full Version : how do i get it out!?

Odonata
July 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
OK so I had it in my mind on Friday (5 days ago) to curl my hair using the baby wipe method , works really well , next time though I’ll use larger sections and double up the wipes for larger curls.
I CO and 1-2 times a week and oil and deep condition once a fortnight or so and cleanse when I feel like it. I prefer to keep my hair dry as much as possible between.
Now on Sunday (having not yet washed my hair) I got sick - very sick, and yesterday I was in agony with a burning fever I couldn't get up or move or sleep I had a seering headache, back pain, my skin felt raw and sensitive my throat is killing me I literally laid there and cried the last two hours before my husband came home with something for me to take - thankfully it was strong -
So now I am dosed up and able to shower I have a problem.

My hair which was braided hasn't been combed for three days, it was braided curly and the braid hasn't been taken out. It is a bit dreaded especially around the nape - not sure whether to de tangle first or de tangle wet with conditioner -
I only really have a normal wash worth of conditioner left as pay is the last of the month and we are due to shop, but haven't yet as I was sick

What I really need is a satin or silk sleep cap - as I am sure the cotton pillow cases have a lot to do with the tangling or breaking process

Lostsoule77
July 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
When I have braids like that (usually camping) I take lots of time to slowly work out the knots with my fingers. I gently work my way up my hair. I think it may be easier if you do it wet with conditioner in, just be careful since your hair will snap easier this way. The conditioner will give it some slippage which is good.

jeanniet
July 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry you've been sick! I would detangle in the shower with conditioner, but since you don't have a lot of conditioner left, you might try oiling first to help. Good luck--that sounds like a job!

xoerincolleen
July 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
Don't get it wet before you start to detangle! That will just make it worse. Try doing it dry with oil or conditioner!

lapushka
July 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Try detangling as best you can, do it in small sections. I'd also try and stretch your wash until there's some conditioner available again - if at all possible.

Odonata
July 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestions. It took two days. I sat rather pathetic, ill, watching 'Game of Thrones' and You-tube videos and finger whittled my hair about an inch at a time, one of the three sections at a time then combed (with my very soft smooth wide tooth comb) each of the sections then it together
Coconut oil was a friend half way up and towards the nape of my neck where I had successfully made a Congo.
Lesson, if I ever want real Dreadlocks, I need only loose my comb and wait a day!

I CO'd after day two and completion of the great de tangle of 2012. Although there is still remnants of coconut oil as I didn't have enough conditioner to double wash and get it all out.
so I am just oil soaking it till I feel better and do the shop.

And I am starting to feel better! :)